Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

e_e wrote: »
    "The sustain, listen to it!"
    "I don't hear anything."
    "You would... if it were playing."

You just look at it ... don't touch it ... Don't even point !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The Lego Movie.

Genuinely one of the most enjoyable films I've ever seen. Laugh out loud moments coupled with some emotion. Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Cold In July

...if you liked True detective this is for you. Bit of a yawn but it got there in the end.

Pride

A good laugh and a reminder of darker times. Well worth a watch.

Fury

I gave up half way through. If you want to see middle aged men riding tanks around World War 2 watch Kelly's Heroes. Now that is a proper film.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

The Man Who Knew too Little 1997 - Bill Murray comedy.

Watched it on Netflix where it has only three starts - very funny; glad I ignored the rating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Patton (1969) Dir Franklin J Schaffner. George C Scott's barnstorming Oscar winning turn as the controversial General George "blood and guts" Patton is well matched by Karl Malden as the soldiers soldier Omar N. Bradley. Filmed like so many large scale epics in Spain (Franco must have had some tax breaks going back then!). The film looks and feels technically spot on though I'm sure some anachronisms and technical errors are there to be spotted by the WW2 historians.

Skyfall (2012) Dir Sam Mendes. The third and most recent Craig era Bond and the most successful 007 outing since Thunderball (when adjusted for inflation). For the first 100 minutes or so its just okay, nothing more with far too much in the way of soft pale visuals and CGI where CGI has no place - esp car chases but when Bond breaks out the Aston Martin the whole film changes and suddenly it works. I think its why the film was such a success. The third act is the important one, its ironic that some think its a drag, its not, rather its the rest of the film that is too long! Its also where both Daniel Craig and Javier Bardem really come to life and the former really takes charge of his character and the "legacy" of 007.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭wylie

The Interview

Dave Skylark and producer Aaron Rapoport run the celebrity tabloid show "Skylark Tonight." When they land an interview with a surprise fan, North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un, they are recruited by the CIA to turn their trip to Pyongyang into an assassination mission.

Yeah its good, i was a lil drunk, but 7/10 some good funny parts.

Hot Fuzz (2007)

Seen it several times on TV but it's a classic - very funny English comedy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)

It probably doesn't say much about any series of films when you watch the second one with a sense of 'getting it over with'. I dragged my heels about finishing this franchise having been bored to 48fps tears in An Unexpected Journey, but I figured with the third one out it'd be a nice time to ... yes, get it over with.

Desolation... has much more narrative purpose than the first film, but it's still overlong, bloated with wheel spinning and plot points nobody cares about and ultimately still a chore to get through. I paused Netflix to go to the bathroom and groaned when I realised I had another hour to get through - and we hadn't even reached Smaug at that point.

I'd be genuinely interested to see a competent fan edit done of the three films, but in their present state the films would test anyone's patience and bladders.

Let's be Cops (2014)

Comedy with Damon Wayans Jr. and Jake Johnson; got rather mixed reviews - I thought it was pretty good!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Ok….been a while but here we go…..

The Interview
    I honestly cannot believe how bad this was and also that I paid to watch this legally. For context I normally like both of the main protagonists (the Kimye p!ss take was a highlight for me last year and I really enjoyed This is the End amongst others). This however is a giant stinking turd. Before I watched it tonight it was at 9.2./10 on the imdb; now it's at 8.9/10. I'd give it a 1/10 - yes, it's that bad. I laughed twice - in almost 2 hours. It is ASTONISHINGLY bad. Were it not for the hype/banning/1st amendment advocates, this would take $20 at the cinema. Avoid. Don't even let your curiosity get the better of you. It's sh!t. And I say this as a lover of crap/daft/goofball comedies.

The Drop
    Now we're talking. I saw the trailer for this when I went to see Gone Girl some months back and was instantly interested. Astonishing performances from all of the cast but especially from Tom Hardy - you will not think he's British after seeing this. The BEST movie I've seen this year - without question. Deep, dark, tense, slow, gritty, dirty, thoughtful, gentle in places - and it just oozes quality throughout. Not going to spoil it for anyone - do yourself a favour if you like intelligent thrillers and find a way to watch this. An easy 9/10. I've already pre-ordered it on amazon and bought the book on which its based to read. Hardy deserves an oscar for third, which pretty much guarantees he'll likely not even be nominated. :eek:

Horrible Bosses 2
    Standard fare for goofball comedy sequels though Jason Sudeikis and Jamie Foxx do shine again and steal the show. Christoph Waltz and Chris Pine are "fine" in it, but overall it's really just a rehash of the first movie. It's a "grand" comedy, you could do worse. It's certainly a million times funnier than The Interview! 6/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Ok….been a while but here we go…..

The Interview
    I honestly cannot believe how bad this was and also that I paid to watch this legally. For context I normally like both of the main protagonists (the Kimye p!ss take was a highlight for me last year and I really enjoyed This is the End amongst others). This however is a giant stinking turd. Before I watched it tonight it was at 9.2./10 on the imdb; now it's at 8.9/10. I'd give it a 1/10 - yes, it's that bad. I laughed twice - in almost 2 hours. It is ASTONISHINGLY bad. Were it not for the hype/banning/1st amendment advocates, this would take $20 at the cinema. Avoid. Don't even let your curiosity get the better of you. It's sh!t. And I say this as a lover of crap/daft/goofball comedies.

Oh Butters...why did you let yourself be suckered?

Sony are literally laughing at people going out of their way to try and see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Tony EH wrote: »
    Oh Butters...why did you let yourself be suckered?

Sony are literally laughing at people going out of their way to try and see this.

Saw it too...brutal to say the least...inserting gay/dick/hooker/sexual reference jokes every second line does not a funny film make. Utter thrash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You know it been a bad Christmas day film wise when you end up in front of National Lampoons Vacation - first viewing since it first came out on video in the mid 80s. It was better than I remember it in truth with some good moments, tonight ITV4 are showing the sequel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Night of the Demons (1988)

Not to be mistaken with the Argento/Bava classics Demons & Demons 2, this one was obviously influenced by both of the above, particularly the make up effects.

It follows a group of teenagers that go to an alleged haunted house on Halloween night and manage to awaken the evil spirits that reside within.

Its a typical 80s horror, big hair, lots of screaming, some boobs and bush shots. What raises this above the norm is the special effects. Even though the "look" of the demons is stolen from Argento and Bava, they are still very well done and it features some excellent kills, including the best eye gouging/popping scene Ive ever seen.

Well worth a look for fans of demonic/possession type horror flicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Watched Its a Wonderful Life yesterday for the first time. Why did I wait so long to watch this. Brilliant. Huge heart and a great message. Had a whinge towards the end too which I tried to hide from the wife unsuccessfully. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Watched Its a Wonderful Life yesterday for the first time. Why did I wait so long to watch this. Brilliant. Huge heart and a great message. Had a whinge towards the end too which I tried to hide from the wife unsuccessfully. :)

Watched this myself on Christmas Eve. Thought it was great. Jimmy Stewart is such a charmer. Didn't feel like a really old film either, the acting seemed quite modern if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I watched The Interview yesterday with my family, I suppose it became a rather unorthodox xmas day movie. We all thought it was good with some very funny bits. Some of it is pure madness but ya just got to go with it, I would encourage any one curious to just see it for themselves (especially any one who liked This Is The End.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

really liked the drop. Delivers without being heavy handed. Hardy is getting better and better.

Tried to watch Enemy. Gave up. The score is overbearing and I didn't care by about halfway through.

I watched The Interview yesterday with my family, I suppose it became a rather unorthodox xmas day movie. We all thought it was good with some very funny bits. Some of it is pure madness but ya just got to go with it, I would encourage any one curious to just see it for themselves (especially any one who liked This Is The End.)

Have to disagree. I quite liked "This Is The End"; but The Interview is just not funny. It's down again today on the imdb to 8.6 - I've never seen anything move so quickly downward in the space of hours on it. It seems that the more people see it, the consensus on its merits lowers.

Genuine question - did you watch it with as the Gardai would say "drink taken"? I watched it sober. I NEEDED a drink after it.

Nightcrawler
    Jake Gyllenhaal turns in an epic disturbing performance in his role as an essentially low-life paparazzo who starts to blur the lines between reporting the news and staging it. Unhealthily gaunt, there are some scenes where his facial appearance looks bizarrely similar to Christian Bale's - not sure whether this is intentional or not, but it adds to the 'hunger' the character portrays. The rehearsed dialogue his character engages in is smart and funny, and his transformation into the couldn't give a flying fück about anyone else as long as he gets his "shot" is a fascinating watch. Should get an Oscar nod, but probably won't. Renee Russo (surprisingly!) and Riz Ahmed also have meaty parts in this slightly disturbing thriller. 8/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Well, son, WE watched CARRY ON GIRLS on itv3 followed by
    a VERY REVERANCE showing on tg4 of TO KILL A MOKINGBIRD
    followed by on THE BBC those FILTHY PIRATES and that terrible thing
    with A BOY IN A DRESS.

Then we settled for SKYFALL. A PLUCKING OF THE TURKEY if ever I ah say so mayself...

Merry Christmas YOU ONE AND ALL.

It's been A PRIVILIDGE.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Gone Girl'

I won't go into too much detail about this film, as to do so would simply spoil it and it's a very easy film to spoil.

I will say that David Fincher (along with Chris Nolan) is one of my favorite directors working today and while there may have been some hiccups along the way, his films are always interesting, although I haven't seen 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo', because after having seen the original Swedish version and not thinking it was all that, I don't need to.

'Gone Girl' is a slow builder, featuring a thoroughly and immediately unlikeable couple, one of whom comes home one day to find the other gone (the clue is in the title), drama ensues...and that's all I'll say about the plot. It really is best to go into this without knowing too much.

I will say, though, that every part is played extremely well, with a special nod going to Ben Afleck, an "actor" I have no time for at all, but who is well used here. Another thumbs up goes to the three prominent females in the cast, Rosamund Pike, Carrie Coon and Kim Dickens.

At around the 150 minute mark, you might think it's a bit long, but it never seems to be and the story is engrossing at least for 99.9%. I'm not too sure about the ending, much like Fincher's 'The Game', but it's certainly not as subtracting or a destructive.
    Things fall into place far too easily

8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Inside I'm Dancing

Rewatched it again tonight and I forgot just how good a film it is. I hope I don't sound too over-reactory but had it been Hollywood movie Stephen Robertson would have picked up a lot of gongs. Absolutely brilliant portrayal of someone with cerebral palsy. Definitely in the top ten best Irish films ever made. Beautiful, moving and funny at times (the three traits of a good movie imo) Romola Garai is a fox :D.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Inside I'm Dancing

Rewatched it again tonight and I forgot just how good a film it is. I hope I don't sound too over-reactory but had it been Hollywood movie Stephen Robertson would have picked up a lot of gongs. Absolutely brilliant portrayal of someone with cerebral palsy. Definitely in the top ten best Irish films ever made. Beautiful, moving and funny at times (the three traits of a good movie imo) Romola Garai is a fox :D.

How Irish is it though when the three leads are all Scottish or English?
    That said I'm a big fan of Romola Garai (although not for the same reasons as you ;)) so was glad her Irish accent was not too shabby.

Plastic (2014)

"Plastic is a British action comedy-crime film directed by Julian Gilbey and co-written by Will Gilbey and Chris Howard. The film stars Ed Speleers, Will Poulter, Alfie Allen, Sebastian de Souza and Emma Rigby."

Apparently based on a true story - "based on" is the operative word I'd imagine!

Watchable; 6/10.

Fury

War movie by numbers. Found it cartoonish and cliched in parts (
    the last scene, the Emma explosion scene etc. etc.
    ) and overall very bland and boring compared to others in the genre. It's hard to watch any WWII movie when you've seen Band of Brothers and not compare them and inevitably it fails to deliver against those high standards. Can't believe it scores 7.9 on the imdb……5/10 - and I'm being generous at that I think.

The Equalizer

Denzel Washington on fire in reworking of classic 80s TV show. It's fun, but can't help but feel it's "Man on Fire" in disguise. Marton Csokas is his familiar creppy self, whilst Chloe Grace Moretz despite appearing on the poster and in pretty much every trailer/ad I've seen for this is on screen for just a few minutes. That said, it's entertaining. 7.5/10

The Guest

Highly trained special ops soldier goes off the rails after illegal military training programme goes wrong. So basically "The Bourne Identity" but nowhere near as good as that franchise. It starts off promisingly then descends into being as dumb as sh!t in places. 5/10

Gone Girl

A 2nd viewing as the OH missed it. It's less atmospheric and involving on the small screen (50in) compared to the cinema and suffers a little because of that. I gave it an 8/10 on a first viewing. I'm going to downgrade that to a 7.5/10 on a second. Still very good though.

Can anyone explain the Enemy to me at all? wtf was that ending???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Raiders of the lost Ark

This was on over Christmas and its been years since I actually sat down and watched it so decided to see if it held up........bloody hell its only now as a grown up can I fully appreciate how good this film is, it holds up amazingly well. You'd be hard pushed to tell it was made in 1981. I watched it from start to finish like it was my first time seeing it, didn't want it to end. I like chariots of fire and all but no way was that a better film than raiders, and no way was Warren Beatty a better director than Spielberg........
    By the way temple of doom was on today and I'm shocked to read that it was actually a prequel!! Did everybody know this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

david75 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain the Enemy to me at all? wtf was that ending???

You mean
    the wife-spider
    ? I think
    the story isn't shown in a linear way, and I think a lot of it takes place inside his head, we just see an interpretation of that. J.G doesn't have a split personality or a twin, it's just how we see the battle going on in his head. We know he's been unfaithful to his wife, and he goes to some kink club. When the spider is crushed, there's a look of shame, I think? Face in his hands, at least.
    The spiders are meant to represent women, and they're chosen because of how J.G sees them, trapping prey in their webs (The streets covered by power / phone lines), and some eat their baby-daddy (His girlfriend is pregnant). The giant street spider is seen right after we meet his Mom, and it towers above the city looking down. It's identical to a sculpture called Maman (Mother in French), by Louise Bourgeois, a woman. A casting of the sculpture is in Ottawa. Any ways, the sculpture is "Pregnant" with marble eggs. His wife is pregnant.
    SO! I think he decides to not cheat on his wife any more. She's happy that he's this "New guy." Then he gets the key, he gets tempted, and asks his wife if she wants to go out on the weekend or whatever he says (It's been a while since I saw it). She sees him, knows what he's really asking, and backs into the corner in fear of being squashed (Not killed, dumped).

• Advertisement

thanks for that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement