Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

tunguska wrote: »
    By the way temple of doom was on today and I'm shocked to read that it was actually a prequel!! Did everybody know this?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Have to disagree. I quite liked "This Is The End"; but The Interview is just not funny. It's down again today on the imdb to 8.6 - I've never seen anything move so quickly downward in the space of hours on it. It seems that the more people see it, the consensus on its merits lowers.

Genuine question - did you watch it with as the Gardai would say "drink taken"? I watched it sober. I NEEDED a drink after it.

Obviously a film being funny or "Just not funny" is completely subjective, laugh or not it is a comedy and it is funny.

Anyways caught up with a friend last nite who had also seen it and also liked it, had fun quoting some of the lines and scenes. Each to there own and all that but 1/10 is bonkers it deserves more than that just because they had the balls to make it.

PS it was Xmas day of course I had drrrink taken :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭horse7

If you get a chance The captive is well worth a viewing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I don't think anyone would be talking about having "the balls" to make The Interview if there hadn't been such a fuss made before its release. Given they couldn't have forseen this reaction I don't think there were any balls involved at all. Other films and TV shows have been poking fun at Korea for years so I'd question if there was even very much thought put into this let alone balls.

Nothing would have gone to this extent before except maybe team america and that was puppets so wouldnt have been taken so seriously. maybe I over estimated the courage taken to make this film but they should be commended for taking a risk, they could just go safe and make a romcom or some other rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Just watched Pride. The story of the unlikely alliance between the gay rights movement in London and Welsh miners in Thatchers reign of destruction in the 80's.

Best film i've seen in an age :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The only balls involved with 'The Interview' is pretending that NK tried to cyber attack the Sony corporation.

Probably the funniest thing about the whole film.

What a laugh.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Obviously a film being funny or "Just not funny" is completely subjective, laugh or not it is a comedy and it is funny.

Anyways caught up with a friend last nite who had also seen it and also liked it, had fun quoting some of the lines and scenes. Each to there own and all that but 1/10 is bonkers it deserves more than that just because they had the balls to make it.

PS it was Xmas day of course I had drrrink taken :)

No. No film deserves points for having balls. It should be judged on its merits. There's a difference in being brave and being deliberately controversial to get a reaction. Whilst I agree that comedy is subjective, I did point out that I normally like Apatow/Franco/Rogen type comedies and additionally stupid/good ball comedies are a real guilty pleasure of mine. This however is just lazy, cliched and boringly predictable. Franco and Rogen's bromance has just passed its sell by date after this I'm afraid. The joke is tired and over done.

Just because something is labelled a comedy doesn't make it or guarantee that it will be funny. There are significantly more laughs in for example American Psycho than this, and no one would describe that as a comedy. The Interview is lazy, tired, boring, cliched, racist, stupid (and not "funny" stupid), and worst of all, it's insulting to the audience. Normally I can give movies that tick those boxes a pass If they're funny but this, for me at least, just wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭batnolan

District 13

The movie is a 80 minute long parkour and choreography demonstration with a very loose plot thrown in. My little brother wanted to watch it with the English dub which I would highly recommend as there are 2 Irish actors and their accents are hilarious.

2001: Space Odyssey

Obviously aa classic. Some amazing visuals.

Dead Poets Society

Excellent movie. Great performance from the young actors. For the director to get a group of young actors strange to each other to achieve that level of charisma and charm was excellent. Robin Williams I felt toned his energitic style down but also retained his charm at the same time. Enjoyed it thoroughly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

david75 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain the Enemy to me at all? wtf was that ending???
    He sees his wife as a spider, trapping him, thats why he does what he does :)

Its not complicated or anything at all, the end is just symbolic, but the symbol is used throughout the film. I havent seen it in a long time so it would be hard for me to go into specifics right now.
    As much as he wants to change, he cant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

FOXCATCHER.

You boyz and galz better catch this one ON RELEASE.

It's A KEEPER. Excellent stuff. One of the best films I've seen in YEARS.

kryogen wrote: »
    He sees his wife as a spider, trapping him, thats why he does what he does :)

Its not complicated or anything at all, the end is just symbolic, but the symbol is used throughout the film. I havent seen it in a long time so it would be hard for me to go into specifics right now.
    As much as he wants to change, he cant

thanks...i watched it in two halves, days apart, but it didnt grab me at all..

and i found the score weirdly offputting and intrusive

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

FOXCATCHER.

You boyz and galz better catch this one ON RELEASE.

It's A KEEPER. Excellent stuff. One of the best films I've seen in YEARS.
    Words truly cannot express how annoying your posting style is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

At first I thought it was a bot, but then it started getting patronising.

Boyz 'n' galz or boyz&galz I would have believed..

Boys and Galz though..

I read an interesting article about Foxcatcher the other day on a swimming website, of all places. The guy, Du Pont is it, was heavily involved in swimming long before the wrestling and the person who wrote the article spoke to lots of people who knew him for years. A lot of them seem pretty angry about this film and how they depict him in it.

I Origins.

Intriguing stuff. Worth a watch.

david75 wrote: »
    I Origins.

Intriguing stuff. Worth a watch.

Upgrading that to brilliant for the concept alone. And the performances are pretty great.

No. No film deserves points for having balls. It should be judged on its merits. There's a difference in being brave and being deliberately controversial to get a reaction. Whilst I agree that comedy is subjective, I did point out that I normally like Apatow/Franco/Rogen type comedies and additionally stupid/good ball comedies are a real guilty pleasure of mine. This however is just lazy, cliched and boringly predictable. Franco and Rogen's bromance has just passed its sell by date after this I'm afraid. The joke is tired and over done.

Just because something is labelled a comedy doesn't make it or guarantee that it will be funny. There are significantly more laughs in for example American Psycho than this, and no one would describe that as a comedy. The Interview is lazy, tired, boring, cliched, racist, stupid (and not "funny" stupid), and worst of all, it's insulting to the audience. Normally I can give movies that tick those boxes a pass If they're funny but this, for me at least, just wasn't.

Ok this is stupid argument, My point is that it would be generally accepted as a funny film, obviously since you agree that's its completly subjective then maybe you should include an "I feel" or an "IMO" here or der.

I will accept that a film should be judged on its own merits but I personally would find it hard not to give this film props for getting made.

You call this film "boring clichéd stupid rasist?" And give it 1/10 yet you give horrible bosses 6/10.

The logic does not compute!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭h2005

I read an interesting article about Foxcatcher the other day on a swimming website, of all places. The guy, Du Pont is it, was heavily involved in swimming long before the wrestling and the person who wrote the article spoke to lots of people who knew him for years. A lot of them seem pretty angry about this film and how they depict him in it.

Can't imagine Mark Schultz will be too excited with his depiction in it either!

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    The only balls involved with 'The Interview' is pretending that NK tried to cyber attack the Sony corporation.

Probably the funniest thing about the whole film.

What a laugh.

:pac:

I take it you have seen the film?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭h2005

h2005 wrote: »
    Can't imagine Mark Schultz will be too excited with his depiction in it either!

He actually seems very happy with it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY6sfFiGIUg

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Ok this is stupid argument, My point is that it would be generally accepted as a funny film, obviously since you agree that's its completly subjective then maybe you should include an "I feel" or an "IMO" here or der.

I will accept that a film should be judged on its own merits but I personally would find it hard not to give this film props for getting made.

You call this film "boring clichéd stupid rasist?" And give it 1/10 yet you give horrible bosses 6/10.

The logic does not compute!

The logic computes perfectly actually. Whilst Horrible Bosses 2 is clichéd, stupid and possibly very mildly racist in parts (but only if you're insanely politically correct), at least I laughed in parts of it. I gave it a 6/10 for it's genre - namely comedy sequels, which on the whole tend to be awful. It's not awful when compared with that competition. The Interview however ticks all of those boxes and still manages not to raise a laugh. And more people seem to be agreeing - it's down to 7.6 this morning on the imdb. That's a pretty rapid fall from grace in the space of a few days.

Yes of course comedy is subjective. But I'd be willing to bet if you did a re-watch sober you'd not find it as funny. I'm no prude - I listed offensive/goofball/stupid comedies as a real guilty pleasure of mine. Borat, South Park and Team America would all be faves of mine in the genre. I also REALLY liked Movie 43 which if I'm not mistaken I gave an 8/10 to on here. So this should have been right up my street. It just fails so miserably for me.

As for balls? Come on, it's not like shot it in on location in North Korea. It's not a documentary shot in secret! I'm pretty sure Rogen and Franco slept soundly in their suites of the 5 star hotel they were staying at throughout the shoot. It's like saying Pierce Brosnan is brave as part of Die Another Day was set in North Korea.

h2005 wrote: »
    He actually seems very happy with it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY6sfFiGIUg

I thought the film was based on his book?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Seven Psychopaths (2012)

A black comedy I guess which, despite starring Colin Farrell, is very good (and Colin is also very good here - he can act!)

No real plot, just a brilliant movie! (8.5/10)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Golden Compass (2007)

I haven't read the books on which this film is based, although I'm aware in passing of things like the controversy over apparent diluting of the anti-religion stance the novel takes, so watched this cold & needing my GF to answer the questions I had. There were a lot, this adaptation's a bit of a mess for the newcomer.

There's few things sadder in storytelling than a part 1 that never lives past its cliffhanger, although in this case it's easy to see why The Golden Compass failed to spark a sequel. The pace was meandering, though often just flat as a pancake, and the script frequently collapsed with clunky, leaden exposition. You never got a sense the filmmakers believed in this world, trusting instead to throw money at some big names instead of massaging the script better.

This alternate-Earth had a lot of moving parts yet the movie never managed to elegantly bring the viewer in without resorting to godawful examples of exposition. Again, having not read the books I'm not sure how Philip Pullman managed to organically introduce demons (but not the sort you're thinking of), witches, talking bears and the world's politics, but the movie utterly failed at every step. Scenes just came and went like the writers were ticking off a series of boxes, the viewer left scratching their heads trying to process things before the next near-indecipherable event occurred.

I don't even think the 'proper' demographic for this film would have enjoyed themselves: I appreciate Pullman's novels are for children -> young adults, but if that's the case, I suspect they would have been bored silly by this film; I can forgive exposition if the movie's at least fun, or exciting: this was just dull.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The best thing about the Golden Compass was it inspired me to read the book. There were enough lingering interesting ideas and concepts there that I was curious enough to pick up The Northern Lights. I flew through the trilogy in about a week. They are easily the most startling and provocative fantasy and family books I have read, and was constantly surprised by the depth of the themes, world and characterisation. The changes made to the film - and there's some major ones, especially in the way the first book ends - are laughable and neuter much of what makes the books so special. If you were even remotely intrigued by the film, read the books.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The best thing about the Golden Compass was it inspired me to read the book. There were enough lingering interesting ideas and concepts there that I was curious enough to pick up The Northern Lights. I flew through the trilogy in about a week. They are easily the most startling and provocative fantasy and family books I have read, and was constantly surprised by the depth of the themes, world and characterisation. The changes made to the film - and there's some major ones, especially in the way the first book ends - are laughable and neuter much of what makes the books so special. If you were even remotely intrigued by the film, read the books.
    Perhaps I will: I figured the book must have surely made for a more intriguing prospect than the film adaptation, but that really wouldn't be too hard given how simply godawful the film was.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

From Dusk till Dawn

I liked Clooney in this. He's a mean bastard, basically. The script is by Tarantino and his prints are all over the film, including the credits and soundtrack. The tongue in cheek tone is there from the outset - the nature and execution of the violence. Tarantino's character is sociopath and a lech. It's in the tradition of these things to turn everything upside down. Things go in the direction
    of Supernatural, and even as a fan of that show,
    it tested my patience a little, but once you're all in, feck it. It also features Harvey Keitel, who, given his attire, facial hair and glasses may as well be Walter White. And crucially, he drives an RV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Ida (2013)

I'm not much of a reviewer, so this is just a few observations.

First of all, I loved it. It's possibly my favourite film of the year. It's simply gorgeous to look at. I found the framing of the characters a little odd, and spent a bit of time wondering what it all represented. But it's good to have your curiosity piqued by a film, so ultimately that aspect of it really pleased me. Also, I've been on a bit of a Robert Altman run lately, so it was refreshing to sit down with only a few characters. There's plenty of close-up shots, forcing you to really look into Ida's beautifully dark eyes. In fact, even during those oddly framed shots, where there is huge areas of landscape to take in, I still found myself looking at Ida's face, because the framing practically forced me to. Finally, I have a bit of an issue when it comes to depictions of convents, priests, religious orders, etc. I find films like Day of Wrath and Of Gods and Men very uncomfortable. I also had that feeling watching Ida. Ultimately it's a prejudice of mine. I'm not religious at all, and I find religious life very odd indeed. However, it's good to have your prejudices exposed, otherwise you'll never face up to them. I feel that really outstanding cinema should tell you something about yourself. Ida certainly forced me to consider my own attitudes. A marvellous film.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement