Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

Christmas Every Day (TV 1996)

If you like movies
    13 year old boy, who dose like Christmas, that being be rude and nasty but soon when He tells his sister that Santa is not real, she then wish it would xmas every day.

And her wish come true, that the boy keeps waking up on Xmas down

Before you say they rip-off Groundhog down, this is actually remake of Christmas Every Day (TV 1996) and also was remade again Christmas Do over.

This was really good and sweet movie, at a lot stuff happens in this movie, there funny moment in this movie.

Acting was really good movie, this great movie to for Xmas (My brother want to use this computer)

8 out of 10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's November :pac:

May I suggest keeping the Christmas film posts to the recommendations thread you started Tindie? Because it really is very early for an onslaught of Christmas posts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭h2005

Bah humbug

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Bag humbug is right. Its time to start easing into the season. have my snowy screensaver on my phone already.
    gonna be watching my blue ray copy of
    Its a wonderful life again this year.
    Watched in in the colour version last year. This time its back to the black and white. Great movie. So simple it can't be faulted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

The Grinch and Scrooged.

Both good until the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Looper:- Wow now that is in my top 3 movies this year really enjoyed the take on time travel and decent performances from Bruce Willis and Joseph Gorden-Levitt, I will be interested to see what Rian Johnson does next!

I Don't mind what asking me do however I way I seen it is that Christmas is far too close,

Today I am in the mood even more, as I saw one Christmas tree in a house on my road, their no light on it yet) and While I was on the bus, I overheard people talking about Their Christmas party NEXT WEEKEND.

And in Birmingham City Center the Shops have got my fav Christmas (I wish could be Christmas) songs playing and also Christmas 24 ( and 24 +) Channel is now on sky. (24 Hours full of Christmas movies)

I know lot people who have already their Christmas shopping, i would not say this early at a all,

But I did see someone buying Christmas lights in August (That is what I call very early) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Is the Snoopy pic neccessary in every post?

krudler wrote: »
    Is the Snoopy pic neccessary in every post?

Can you see it? :confused
    it's a part of my Signature, I Can not seem to see it working, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Tindie wrote: »
    I Don't mind what asking me do however I way I seen it is that Christmas is far too close,

Today I am in the mood even more, as I saw one Christmas tree in a house on my road, their no light on it yet) and While I was on the bus, I overheard people talking about Their Christmas party NEXT WEEKEND.

And in Birmingham City Center the Shops have got my fav Christmas (I wish could be Christmas) songs playing and also Christmas 24 ( and 24 +) Channel is now on sky. (24 Hours full of Christmas movies)

I know lot people who have already their Christmas shopping, i would not say this early at a all,

But I did see someone buying Christmas lights in August (That is what I call very early) :P

Christmas doesn't start for me sometime in christmas eve. Have no idea how you can get festive at the start of November

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    Christmas doesn't start for me sometime in christmas eve. Have no idea how you can get festive at the start of November

How can you not, with all Christmas TV ads, the shops full of Christmas stuff and Christmas songs playing in shops.

The best time of year, Lead up to Christmas and what you think that Santa is going to bring you :P (Just in case kids are reading this):D.

Waking up on Christmas day, Hoping it for it to snow and get ready to see are family members and watching Evening TV with THE whole family.

and avoiding Boxing day so don't get eaten by crazy shopping people.

But I do Hate New Years eve :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"The Nephew" (1998) - newspaper promo DVD. Another one that I had put on the long finger as normally I can't stand Pierce Brosnan, but last night I bit the bullet and was very pleasantly surprised. Also starring the late, great Donal McCann and Sinead Cusack, the Nephew tells the story of a Chad Egan-Washington (Hill Harper) the son of an a mixed race marriage in America who comes looking for his roots on a remote Irish island. As it happens, the race issue barely raises its head and the story is more concerned with broken relationships, and it's not long before a hornet's nest is stirred up by the newcomer. Set in the West of Ireland but largely filmed in County Wicklow this is a keeper. 8/10

The%2BNephew.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Watched Heavenly Creatures [1994] last night. Interesting and creepy film from Peter Jackson based on the true story of two girls who form an intense friendship which leads to the murder of one of their mothers. It's set in New Zealand and starring the young Kate Winslet and Melanie Lynskey (Rose in Two and a Half Men). Was really surprised to see Lynskey as I only know her from the sitcom (although she is the best character); she was excellent. I had always assumed she was American. Looking at her filmography, she has been in some great movies.

Oh and now I get the references in The Simpson's episode with Equalia and the tunicorns!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

livinsane wrote: »
    Watched Heavenly Creatures [1994] last night. Interesting and creepy film from Peter Jackson based on the true story of two girls who form an intense friendship which leads to the murder of one of their mothers. It's set in New Zealand and starring the young Kate Winslet and Melanie Lynskey (Rose in Two and a Half Men). Was really surprised to see Lynskey as I only know her from the sitcom (although she is the best character); she was excellent. I had always assumed she was American. Looking at her filmography, she has been in some great movies.

Oh and now I get the references in The Simpson's episode with Equalia and the tunicorns!

Yep liked this a lot, really enjoyed this and at the time not what you would have expected from Peter Jackson, probably why I also liked The Lovely Bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭rednik

The Double with Richard Gere and Topher Grace. Very bland spy job, disappointed with Gere in this.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1646980/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

ted

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1637725/

an absolute waste of 105 mins. watch child's play it's funnier and more exciting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Saw Safety not Guaranteed today. Not overly impressed tbh. Was expecting more

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Saw Safety not Guaranteed today. Not overly impressed tbh. Was expecting more

Ya, I saw that myself a week or two ago, and agree with you. I really like the people in it, Aubrey Plaza and Jake Johnson I find immensly watchable, love the two of them, especially Johnson. I heartily dislike Mark Duplass though. It's for no reason other than how I feel. No logical reason. I just don't like him. The only thing I like about Mark Duplass is his wife, who is a fantastic comedic performer and very pretty.

Your Sister's Sister

Starring Mark Duplass. His presence is over ruled by Emily Blunt. She has such screen charisma that I would watch her in anything. The film itself is fine. It impressed me, because it's basically a small three hander and it kept me entertained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Black Death

Set in Medieval times when the Kingdom of England is ravaged by the plague.

A monk, some soldiers and a few others are sent to investigate a village that has escaped.
    Why did they escape the plague? People want answers.
    Answer is actually fairly simple but you only find that out at the end.

Lots of death, torture and tbh I tend to avoid films like this :o

Still, I thought it was very well done and it's memorable

Do I realy need to add a spoiler if Sean Bean survives or dies? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Watched Perfect Sense last night - just saw it in the schedule and thought I'd take a look. I'd never heard of it before I saw it. Stars Ewan McGregor and Eva Green, two actors known for getting their kit off, and there's indeed a bit of that in this film, but that's not what it's about.

It's a "disaster movie" of sorts, in which the world is being afflicted by a plague that robs people of their senses one by one. First smell, then taste, both of which are a disaster for McGregor's character: he's a chef, so it basically destroys his business. Meanwhile, Green's character is an epidemiologist who tries to study the disease, and gets involved with McGregor since she lives across from his restaurant.

None of the characters are spared the effects of the disease, which also include emotional outbursts ranging from crying jags to blind rage, so things get broken. The film is more of a study of how people cope when they lose something essential to their lives, the senses they had taken for granted. It's set in a beautifully-filmed Glasgow, where the people go through various phases of grief, panic and civil unrest, including the inevitable people in HazMat suits passing out pre-packaged meals that are offensive to someone who loves food (as McGregor's character does).

In general, I liked it, and am surprised it didn't pop up on the radar anywhere, getting only a short mention here. It's a disaster movie that's not so much about bad events as it is about people and how they behave under extreme conditions.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Black Death

Set in Medieval times when the Kingdom of England is ravaged by the plague.

A monk, some soldiers and a few others are sent to investigate a village that has escaped.
    Why did they escape the plague? People want answers.
    Answer is actually fairly simple but you only find that out at the end.

Lots of death, torture and tbh I tend to avoid films like this :o

Still, I thought it was very well done and it's memorable

Do I realy need to add a spoiler if Sean Bean survives or dies? ;)
    Really enjoyed that myself, seemed to have totally gone under the radar. Only came across it by accident one day while on Amazon

crazygeryy wrote: »
    ted

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1637725/

an absolute waste of 105 mins. watch child's play it's funnier and more exciting.

I loved it, I thought it was great, I saw it 3 times :D , I just got tbe Jokes,
    If you not Fan of Family guys you won't get the jokes.

And Will be getting on DVD.
    Thunder songs :D Had me laughing my head off!
    :P

I'm a fan of family guy and thought Ted was one of the worst films i've ever seen at the cinema. Although where they go partying with Flash Gordon was pretty awesome.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The Rochdale Pioneers

The story is set in 1844 when a group of working-class people from the town of Rochdale came together to change the unfair society they were living in.

Basically the story of the founding of the first successful Co-Op in Rochdale in 1844. It was alright, I guess, but I couldn't help feeling that the story itself was far more interesting than the film made it. Like if you knew the story inside and out you'd probably enjoy the film, but for someone who had no clue about any of it it felt a bit light? Like I wasn't invested in it's success or failure or any of their personal stake in it because they didn't flesh it out enough.

It was a made for TV movie, and made to celebrate the "International Year of The CO-Op" so it probably wasn't trying to push any boundaries or be anything fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

siblers wrote: »
    I'm a fan of family guy and thought Ted was one of the worst films i've ever seen at the cinema. Although where they go partying with Flash Gordon was pretty awesome.

I saw it twice and thought it was very overrated. Only went the second time because all my friends were going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

I watched "Ted" on Bluray yesterday. Id not seen any trailers for it and had no idea what it was about other than starring a teddy bear.

I thought it was Pixar or Disney or something like that, got a shock watching it. Its really funny though, just not for kids!

I hate that excuse when fans of Ted say, oh you won't get the jokes because you don't like Family Guy. Let's be honest here, there is not a single joke in Ted that could be considered as being high brow or intelligent, it's comedy of the lowest common denomination. Ted is very much a throw everything at the wall and hope that something sticks. It really was a poor excuse for a comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Can't stand McFarlane, his shtick is weed, 80's references, and obscure actors / celebs people have forgotten about. He changes the format but his jokes are the same.

Anyways, watched Limitless the other night. Started out decent with an interesting premise but quickly, and I mean quickly, descended into utter muck. GF left the room for a quick phonecall and when she came in it was a completely different movie :pac:

The effects shots showing the buzz from the drug were different but quickly got old by their overuse and usually outstayed their welcome. They also became progressively worse looking and made the film feel cheaper looking as it went on.

DeNiro was on autopilot, anybody could have done his role while still adding nothing to the film. The ending was out of nowhere and you really couldn't give a flying fùck about it's supposed mystery because Bradley Cooper's character is just a dickhead. A selfish and unlikeable character whose unrealistic and bizarre career progression goes quicker than I can fart.

I think I actually became stupider for having watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"Zonad" (2009) Simon Delaney.

Strangely, I had been looking forward to this movie despite the poor reviews and comments in this thread but what a train wreck it turned out to be. Shockingly bad acting, appalling storyline and crude theft of gags from other movies that were previously funny now forever mutilated. A classic being 'Looks like a penis, only smaller' from the Clint Eastwood 1989 (!) movie "The Pink Cadillac" - priceless in the original movie but this abomination it fell flat on its face. Perhaps the director gambled on movie goers not having seen the original film.

I don't where these quotes on the DVD cover came from - I suspect that they were made up - 'Ridiculously Funny' Hot Press; 'Impossible not to laugh' Movies.ie; 'Laugh out loud gags' Irish Daily Star and 'A comic gem' The Irish Times.

Watch the trailer below but avoid the movie at all costs as life's too short! -1/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Amazing Spiderman & Total Recall.

Not sure about Spiderman,it was ok but I find the smartarse remarks annoying,virtually every time he spoke there was some kind of smart unfunny remark thrown in.

Total Recall was ok,watched the extended cut.Given the bad reviews,my expectations weren't that high but it wasn't as bad as I expected.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement