Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I saw They Came Together recently too. I did laugh out loud a few times when I recognised all my favourite rom-com bits, but it got repetitive after a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Whiplash - Just awesome really. Not what I was expecting at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,982 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Finally got to see Mean Girls with Lindsay Lohan, Rachel McAdams, Amanda Seyfried, and Tina Fey (who wrote the screenplay). Amy Poehler also pops up as a "cool mom":

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Funny Games (Original version)

This is an absolutely brilliant film that doesn't play by the standard rules of what should happen, 5/5*.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Funny Games (Original version)

This is an absolutely brilliant film that doesn't play by the standard rules of what should happen, 5/5*.

It's a good Sunday afternoon film for all the family ;):D
    The US remake is actually very good too with Michael Pitt turning in a chilling performance. Worth a look for comparative purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Rope (1948) Dir Alfred Hitchcock

One of Hitches most interesting exercises in technique. 80 mins with no edits until the reel needed changing so stage acting levels of memory required from the cast and careful camerawork and set tweaking from the DP and the Art Directors team. Those solid looking walls were on rollers as were various items of furniture so to allow the large Technicolor camera to roam around the apartment set. I had assumed there was no cameo in this for obvious reasons but in fact you can see Hitchcocks profile as a neon light outside. I had assumed the discussion that takes place at one point as two characters try to recall the name of "that recent film with Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman" (Notorious 1946) was actually standing in as the self reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

The Imitation Game.

Not a bad movie but not brilliant either. The sad and thrilling story of Alan Turing, probably the best know and influential computer scientist of the 20th century, with his team attempting to decrypt German military communications during WW2.

Whilst an great subject for a movie it just didn't really come together properly and felt a little bit forced and far to Hollywood familiar.

I would have loved to have had some more material on the actual life of the team in Betchley Park with the secrecy and gravity of what they were doing bearing down on their consciences. Instead of decrypting montages.....

Shame really, could have been a classic WW2 movie given the subject material (it was pretty incredible when you think about it) but just hammed it up a little bit too much for me. Also felt somewhat Oscar baiting at the end but I'm a cynical at this time of year.

Some solid performances all round, decent cast. Felt the actual war sequences were really poor, they just looked cheap. Had some pretty funny laugh of loud moments though which are always welcome.

Better than OK but unremarkable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Birdman
    I'm not sure what to make of it. Some great performances.
    Overall made me uncomfortable. Art should do that sometimes I guess.
    I dunno. Worth a watch I guess.

Whiplash
    Kinda like karate kid if Miagi was a cvnt..

well worth a watch though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

The Imitation Game.

Better than OK but unremarkable.

You saved me writing my mini review, I agree with everything you say. It is such a great story with so much potential to be a great movie, but its sadly in the OK category for me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Whiplash

Heard so much about it for ages. I'm always disappointed by films that get so hyped up but fortunately this wasn't one of them, absolute cracker of a film that lived up to the hype for me. I was knackered by the end :pac:

Wanted to see it because I always have time for JK Simmons and knew if he was given the right film and big part he'd be able to showcase what he's capable of. His effortlessness at putdowns brought back fond memories of Oz :D

But everything from the energy to the music just clicked for me, and I'm not much of a fan of Jazz music at all! That last 20 minutes....

Set the bar high for me for films this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Whiplash

There's a place in my cheesy heart for Miles Teller, I find him endlessly watchable ditto for J.K. Simmons. The atmosphere of the darkly lit players rooms and the sweat and tears and passion drove this. There was one point that I thought oh no this has taken a turn for the worst but it redeemed itself slightly. Light on cerebral capability but still worth it and the soundtrack is ace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Birdman

Michael Keaton plays actor Riggan Thomson who rose to fame as the comic book hero 'Birdman' but is now trying to resurrect his career by adapting and starring in a Raymond Carver play on Broadway.

Surreal in parts. There is a wonderful scene where he jogs through time square. The scene with the critic is great, the little observances of theater and the life of an actor are great. If anything sometimes it seemed a little bit too aware of it's own cleverness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

By pure coincidence, the last 2 films I've watched were directed by Jim Mickle:

Cold In July
    Started off OK but turned into a bit of a joke of a film really.

We Are What we Are
    A much better film, lovely soundtrack and overall despite the low rating it received on IMDB I enjoyed it. A few questionable parts but a decent story told well.

Hate films that make you pay attention cos it's a messed up back to front choppy edity timeline and yous be to keep on it in case you miss something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

By pure coincidence, the last 2 films I've watched were directed by Jim Mickle:

Cold In July
    Started off OK but turned into a bit of a joke of a film really.

We Are What we Are
    A much better film, lovely soundtrack and overall despite the low rating it received on IMDB I enjoyed it. A few questionable parts but a decent story told well.

I thought Cold in July was great.

Must check out We Are What We Are soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Thought We Are What We Are was the better film too.

Although for 2014 films that change up their genre every 20 minutes I did prefer Cold In July to The Guest.

Big Eyes
    worth a watch. Looks good and almost seems unbelievable but based on a true story.

Big Eyes
    worth a watch. Looks good and almost seems unbelievable but based on a true story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Inherent Vice

Not one of Paul Thomas Anderson greatest but still a very good film with top notch performances from Phoenix and Brolin. Also you can't go wrong with Martin Short as pervert drug taking hippie dentist. 8/10

Whiplash

My film of the year so far only a week or two in :pac:. Jk Simmons, the Oscar should be his already for best supporting. The Verbal bashings he hands out are amazing. The Music is Glorious and The last 15 minutes is probably the best I seen since the Raid 2 on Screen. 10/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

The Theory of Everything - Wonderful film. I loved it. The love story was, well, lovely! But I would have liked to have seen a bit more about how Hawking managed becoming a professor despite being barely able to speak. I would love to read Jane Hawking's book.
    Eddie Redmayne definitely deserves an Oscar nomination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

The Imitation Game - amazing really - shocked me how good it was, I wasn't expecting much cos Kiera Knightley and Cumberbatch annoy me a little - but they were great in it !

Back to the Future III - Great SCOT !!!!

Thelma & Louise - Classic film, I love it, such nostalgia for me and I love the SouthWest USA scenery and score !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Blue Thunder 1983 (Dir John Badham) The mother****er edition! Yes its got the original soundtrack dialogue usually its the Mellonfarmer version. This is an annoying film - the story idea is a strong one but the handling is too lightweight esp with characters doing silly things and actions that are utterly unrealistic -
    the scene where Blue Thunder is demonstrated for assembled observers for example and when Murph quite deliberately sits the helicopter by couple of hotspots when being hunted by F 16 missiles

The action and stunt work is top notch though esp knowing that the same scenes now would be done on an Apple Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The Theory of Everything

First half hour or so about his studies bored me a bit, science has no interest for me. Once he and Jane got married and his MND was diagnosed it got more interesting. I didn't realise this was told from Jane's perspective, its based on her book. Its very clear that living with someone who had a serious illness, who refused nursing care, while at the same time studying for her PHD and trying to raise 3 kids took its toll on the marriage. She was some woman to cope with all that.

Eddie Redmayne is nothing short of incredible in this, his performance for me is right up there with Daniel Day Lewis in My Left Foot. His transformation from geeky student to the older Hawking made me forget many times that this was an actor and not the man himself. Felicity Jones also excellent but this is Eddie Redmayne's film.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Con Air for about the tenth time. It's pure cheese, but I love everything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Con Air for about the tenth time. It's pure brilliant, and I love everything about it

Hmm... I'd be inclined to agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Hmm... I'd be inclined to agree.

I couldn't tell you what my favourite scene is, but the one where they introduce the convicts is high up.

Can't forget Garland Greene.

Imitation game starts so well but loses steam about halfway.

Get on up is bloody excellent. Recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The Godfather trilogy.

I bought this box set last year and finally got around to watching it.

Overall it was very good especially the second one. De Nero was excellent playing the young Vito.

There was a few things that could of been done a bit better. Like the scene in the third one were a all the Dons are gunned down in the plaza hotel, I thought that was a bit ott and daft. I didn't like the way there was no story to how Tom Hagen died, you're just introduced to his son. In the second one, there was a good bit of dialogue that was not translated in the scene were Michael Coreleone shoots the police officer and another don in the restraunt.

• Advertisement

Big hero 6 is awesome. Great fun and looks amazing.
    Great for the kids and the big kids:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement