Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Sure why not watch Interstellar on VHS then or better yet a cam rip, won't it be the same experience as seeing it in the cinema. If you have the option to experience a film as the director intended, on the big screen then you should embrace that and not go out and steal the film. I'm sure that I won't get to see all the big films I want to see in the cinema this year so I'll wait for the Blu-Ray release so as to experience in the best possible manner.
    Well I hope you're not watching those Blu Rays on a 32" lcd screen. I'd expect a min 4k, 80" ultra HD LED, about 8 grand that should set you back, not to mention a quality sound system, should set you back another grand. After all, you want to experience the movie in the best possible manner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

*sigh* Let's not go down this rabbit hole yet again. Can we keep to films you watched recently please?

Well I hope you're not watching those Blu Rays on a 32" lcd screen. I'd expect a min 4k, 80" ultra HD LED, about 8 grand that should set you back, not to mention a quality sound system, should set you back another grand. After all, you want to experience the movie in the best possible manner.

While I've yet to get a 4K TV I have a rather nice 54" LED and a nice 7.1 surround system set up. While I'd love a nice 4K that's not going to happen just yet, though with the rate they are dropping in price it may only be a matter of months as you can now get a rather nice 55" 4K TV for €1,099.00.Though that said I think that if I was going to lay out money for a TV I would opt for a 4K projector.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Went to see Into the Woods

I love musicals and I knew I would love it, but I am a bit sad to say that for some reason I cannot quiet put my finger on, it didn't blow me away.
    Individually, I thought the performances were outstanding. Maryl Streep - is there anything that woman can't do???
    I really liked the music, the songs were catchy, but a bit samey throughout, if you know what I mean.

Great performance by Emily Blunt and James Cordon too. Chris Pine - what can I say. All I could do was laugh!

Anyway. 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Watched The Grand Budapest Hotel for the second time in a week tonight. Really does live up to the hype. Fantastically shot and some very clever comedy and dialogue. Monseiur Gustave is one of the best characters I've seen on screen in a long time. The farcical prison escape was hilarious. Really, really enjoyed it. 9/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

At this time of the year I always feel a little sorry for all those "film fans" who watch the screeners and then talk about the film. Watching a compressed to hell, sup par representation of a film such as Inherent Vice or American Sniper is not how you experience those films or any for that matter.
    Exactly. I have no problem waiting 3 months or so, and downloading all those "Oscar films" in perfect 20+GB Blu-ray 1080p Remux quality, and watching them on my 55" LED HDTV.
    david75 wrote: »
    Time lapse.

Avoid this. It's an interesting premise but the execution is mangled.
    Mr E wrote: »
    I liked Time Lapse a lot, actually. A clever low budget time travel movie. Well shot and well acted with nice sting in the tail.

Probably not wise to overthink it, though. :)
    I just watched Time Lapse tonight, brilliant film. Right up there with Predestination for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The Gambler Another Marky Mark (sans The Funky Bunch) movie that had potential but ultimately fails to deliver on its early promise. Some silly scenes where Wahlberg tries to be Robin Williams in "Dead Poet's Society" and some truly awful dialogue throughout. John Goodman however is excellent in his main scenes
    save for the corny line at the end
    . The best thing I could say about it was that's "it's ok for a Tuesday night" (I don't think they'll use that on the poster. I have the original James Caan version on one of my PVRs and really regret not watching that first. :mad: 5/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Couldn't sleep so got up in the middle of the night and watched Drug Lord: The Legend of Shorty, a documentary about searching for Mexican drug lord "El Chapo" Guzman. Nothing really new in it if you're even vaguely familiar with Guzman, but there is some pretty graphic violence throughout.Interesting on some levels, it's on Film 4 again in the next few weeks. 5/10.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

National Gallery - There are several scenes in National Gallery in which we see a film crew shooting a more 'traditional' documentary - talking heads and the like. I like to think Frederick Wiseman included them as a cheeky nod to how different his style his to most 'non-fiction' storytelling, and IMO only serves to illuminate how much more rewarding it is.

The production of that 'documentary within a documentary' is merely one aspect of the living and breathing activities within the walls of London's National Gallery. Wiseman once again captures the varied activities that make it such a bustling and fascinating institution. There is much space given to art appreciation, of course: Wiseman carefully edits to allow the various guides' lively interpretations - some wild, some factual, some aimed at children, some at fussy art enthusiasts - also provoke questions and ideas about the way we look at (and make) films.

Wiseman often peeks behind the scenes too, as is his tradition and what makes his documentaries about major institutions so compelling. The most interesting aspects are probably the insights into the restoration process, including one captivating sequence where a speaker explains how they have discovered a 'secret' painting beneath a Rembrandt work, and how that new discovery has likely influenced previous restoration projects. There is less focus on 'administration' than seen in At Berekely, but what we see says a lot. Of particular note is the dynamic and constructive conflict between the unashamedly elitist gallery director and other staff as they try to bring the gallery into the 21st century without undermining what makes it such an important institution.

The director's approach is at this stage familiar but IMO ceaselessly impressive. An 'objective' camera married with subtly 'subjective' editing creates this wonderfully naturalistic work that at the same time also allows the director's thematic concerns to emerge in a robust manner. Leisurely yet uniquely compulsive (although I have to say there are fewer memorable moments in the last hour than in the previous two - but still plenty to feast on), this is another major work from a brilliant director. It's on once more in the IFI on Sunday afternoon, so highly recommended if you can make it - outside of the more experimental documentary scene, this is another Wiseman film that IMO is pretty much as masterful as documentary filmmaking gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I watched this again last night for about the 5th time.An oldie but a good one IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

I just watched Time Lapse tonight, brilliant film. Right up there with Predestination for me.

Watched both these recently myself. I found both to be fine but not amazing. Time Lapse probably made the better use of the time travel idea but the characters and scenarios were a bit too generic. Still, once the clunky set up is out of the way the plot moves along fairly well and it's generally enjoyable if unspectacular.

Predestination was probably the better made film and had interesting characters but I found the plot to be much, much too obvious. Maybe that's because I have seen quite a lot of time travel films but I felt that Predestination's pay off didn't match the set up and the main ideas in the film have already been rehashed quite a few times already. I guess I just felt it was a missed opportunity as I think a time travel premise allows a film to do an awful lot with very little (in terms of budget, sets, effects etc). The film Coherence from last year made a much better stab at it and only needed a few actors and a couple of rooms.
    Primer and Timecrimes are still top of the pile however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

I watched this again last night for about the 5th time.An oldie but a good one IMO.

Great movie
    As anyone see the TV sequels?
    Another Midnight Run (1994)
    Midnight Runaround (1994)
    Midnight Run for Your Life (1994)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Just back from Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb. It was nothing special but it was fun, with a good few silly laugh out loud moments, which is all I was hoping for

Hugh Jackman "doing his Wolverine thing" stole the show for me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Did anyone else see A most violent year?

I liked it.

It's Such a Beautiful Day - do not let the crude stick figure art and persistent voiceover put you off: this is one of the most accomplished animated films in many years.

The deceptively simple presentation hides a film full of moving and intelligent introspection. This is a film first and foremost about mortality, told through the story of a man named Bill who is suffering from an unnamed mortal illness that is basically slowly but surely destroying his brain. This gradual decline is rendered thoughtfully, with plenty of smart visual and editing tricks utilised to capture the terrifying loss of memory and constant confusion experienced by the protagonist. It's not all melancholic, though: the film has an admirable sense of wit, and some surreal tangents in the second half are both terrifically funny while also being sad and poignant. It is a film that doesn't feel sentimental or cloying - its emotional payoffs (and there are many) are deeper, weirder and well-earned.

Director Don Hertzfeldt - who made this film by combining three shorts - initially appears to be a determined minimalist, but as the film progresses he becomes more stylistically adventurous, making imaginative use of mixed media, editing and colour to portray his protagonist's fragile state of mind. He is almost definitely a fan of Terence Malick, particularly in his use of music (including music used in The Tree of Life and The New World). But this is not a mere attempt to emulate a master, as Hertzfeldt's style is his own.

It builds to a stunning closing section that is both triumphant and heartbreaking - which sums up the film itself. It's on Netflix Ireland, and at only an hour I'd definitely recommended this brave and brilliant piece of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

Re-watching Watching the Mission: Impossible series and also the Bourne series (not seen the fourth movie in both series

Mission: Impossible 1996

I have not seen this movie for a few years . I thought it be a good idea to refresh my mind and catch up on this series before 5th goes out this year or next year

It was not as good as I remembered , I did enjoy at much as I my last watch.

There were some good descents tense scenes in this movie , which keep you edge of your seat in some parts of the movie

There were some really good twists and turns in the movie which I really liked

6 out of 10

The Bourne Identity (2002)

There are some really good intense moments in this movie, which is edge of your seat stuff.

The fights scene were really entertaining and very realistic as it do not go over board and drag on or was not quick fight as well.

The acting from whole cast was really great

Great movie
    8/10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The Way

I thought the subject matter of Martin Sheen (Tom) plodding along the Camino wouldn't appeal to me, but it's a pretty good film, colourful. It kinda knows its cliches and there aren't too many, nor is it mawkish despite the loss. Tom picks up a few companions on his journey. There's the Dutch man who likes all the substances and the Irish guy who is a gob****e. Everyone has their chance to shine, and be a bit of a dick.

It felt like there were a few nods to Sheen's own life - his Catholicism and having been arrested a few times. As a non-believer I thought the church scene was pretty impressive. Tonally, I found the second half a little more fluctuating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Crazy Heart Must say I really enjoyed it. Jeff Bridges was excellent. Colin Farrell was sort of cringe, he looked the part but his accent was creaky at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Watched 'I Origins' last night , this could have been really good but ended up thinking it was more clever than it really was and had a really unlike able main character.

Anyone else seen it ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

calex71 wrote: »
    Watched 'I Origins' last night , this could have been really good but ended up thinking it was more clever than it really was and had a really unlike able main character.

Anyone else seen it ?

This film and pride, were my two favourite films of last year...Its not aboyut it trying to be clever IMO, its all hanging on that last moment with the girl..(i cant spoiler) you know the bit..

did you watch the scene after the credits? im not sure it adds anything to a beautiful idea in film form..in sort of goes against the films pace...

anyways..i liked it. id watch it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I watched Salt recently and did not realise how old it is; it came out around 2010-11. It's alright, an easy watch for an hour and a half. It is your fairly standard CIA/FBI/"The Terrorists are coming!" Type fare, quite Bourne Identity I thought but with little story and Jolie doesn't have many dialogue scenes. What moves it along is the stunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Nightcrawler: Really good performance by Gyllenhall (again). Would recommend it purely for the fact
    that the bad guy wins
    which doesn't happen enough but it offers a lot more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

John Wick - Marley and Me meets Payback. Quite an entertaining piece of fluff. Recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Apparently I've watched like 20 films in the last week so I'm just gonna pick out a few select ones here

Love is Strange

I mean, I enjoyed it, no huge dramatic turns or anything along those lines and all the better for it but (
    that rent control apartment showing up out of nowhere was a pretty huge stretch for resolving the major story arc
    ). Molina and Lithgow are both great.

Rapture
    Thought that girl in Sundays and Cybele was really impressive, just about everywhere I read about it recommended this one too. The setting is pretty brilliant, most of the film looks like some great Bergman film and the plot isn't that far off from being one too. Rest of the cast are all very good but Gozzi, while a bit constrained by having to speak English, is left with a hell of a lot to do and is more than capable of carrying the whole thing, delivering one of the more emotionally raw performances I've seen (Blue is the Warmest Color levels, really). Crazy that she pretty much retired after that but it must've been draining as hell.

Point Break
    Never saw it before, really entertaining dumb fun but I suppose everyone already knew this.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    This was so fun! Extremely watchable film for that 4am insomniac slot. Loved the balance between bleakness and hopefulness
    Seemed to consistently give just enough to make it feel like things would be okay before ripping it away from you. By the ending I was pretty much relieved to see Sutherland was one of them because at least it meant the end of them deluding themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Watched Dumb and Dumber 2 (I refuse to call it by it's real name) last night. Shockingly bad. A truely awful piece of crap. You can see the 'jokes' coming a mile away. The two boys must have been stuck for a few bob, how else would they agree to this shambles of a film.
    The first movie is a classic, why can't they just leave some films alone.
    It's 90 minutes that I'll never get back.

WARNING : Don't waste your time on this rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Watched Dumb and Dumber 2 (I refuse to call it by it's real name) last night. Shockingly bad. A truely awful piece of crap. You can see the 'jokes' coming a mile away. The two boys must have been stuck for a few bob, how else would they agree to this shambles of a film.
    The first movie is a classic, why can't they just leave some films alone.
    It's 90 minutes that I'll never get back.

WARNING : Don't waste your time on this rubbish.

And here's the counter-view coming :D
    I actually enjoyed it, granted it wasn't the same as the first but it had its fair share of dumb jokes and laughs.
    C'mon, you had to laugh at the Funnel Nuts scene:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

And here's the counter-view coming :D
    I actually enjoyed it, granted it wasn't the same as the first but it had its fair share of dumb jokes and laughs.
    C'mon, you had to laugh at the Funnel Nuts scene:D

I agree, it was never gonna be as good as the first one. you just need to forget about the first one really. Overall its a mess but there were some scenes that made me laugh hard, the one you mention, the fire works one, and harry on stage taking questions one are a few that spring to mind.

Compared to the first one its crap but of the moronic comedy's I've seen recently this is quiet good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Nightcrawler: Really good performance by Gyllenhall (again). Would recommend it purely for the fact
    that the bad guy wins
    which doesn't happen enough but it offers a lot more than that.

Absolutely loved this movie. Gyllenhall was amazing, the scene where he goes to the back of his car to look at what he just filmed, his expression of kind of a nervous excitement was brilliant.

I also can't remember a character I detested more than the guy he plays really got under my skin. Not even a whisper of an Oscar nom tho unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

At this time of the year I always feel a little sorry for all those "film fans" who watch the screeners and then talk about the film. Watching a compressed to hell, sup par representation of a film such as Inherent Vice or American Sniper is not how you experience those films or any for that matter.

Nonsense, they are perfectly watchable and dont take away from the film. You sound more like a studio executive or cinema owner!

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »
    Nonsense, they are perfectly watchable and dont take away from the film. You sound more like a studio executive or cinema owner!

Or someone who enjoys cinema. Look by all means go and steal the films but you're lieing to yourself if you think it's representative of the film as its director intended.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement