Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,276 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

SarahBM wrote: »
    Just finished watching Luther. BBC drama 2010-2013 starring the amazing Idris Elba. What a show!
    Alice Morgan has to be one of the best characters ever! Cannot believe I missed it first time round. I got the box set as a present a couple of years ago and it has been sitting on the shelf staring at me since. So glad I took the time to watch it.

Went to see Foxcatcher last night too. Not sure what to make of it really. Loved Ruffalo's performance. The lack of a soundtrack really bugged me.
    Im on an Oscars rampage at the moment, but I dont want to go see Birdman. I really dont think I would like it, and a lot of people have told me its poor, but I want to see if of curiosity at this stage. sigh. there are not enough hours in the day or money in my pocket to go see all these films.

It's great and funny. Don't know who the hell you're talking to.

Pranks aka The Dorm That Dripped Blood.

By the numbers 80s slasher flick, some ok kills but nothing at all different from hundreds of others like it.
    5/10

Foxcatcher.

Good performances but I found it kinda tedious, also highly homo erotic. I dont know anything about the case but one wonders was it deliberately insinuated to add something else to the story.

6/10

Nightcrawler

Fantastic central performance from the ever dependable Jake, Bill Paxton suitably oily and Renee Russo looking pretty damn good. Some suspension of belief is required as it veers towards the ludicrous by times but its nonetheless enjoyable.

7/10

Think it should be seen as dark satire, the inevitable way American news is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Birneybau wrote: »
    It's great and funny. Don't know who the hell you're talking to.

I can second that. Its the only one of the Oscar biggies that I've watched twice already. Even if you don't like what you see, it has a soundtrack that rivals Whiplash. Nearly a two for one deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Selma: As said in the dedicated thread, absolutely brilliant and really brings out a spectrum of emotions.

The Drop: Was about 5 minutes in and it was all seeming a bit familiar, then when Bob finds the dog I realised that I had read Lehane's short story that the film is based on. Knowing how it all ended kinda took away from my enjoyment but the performances from Hardy and Gandolfini are great, and there is some nice lines of dialogue between the two. Although makes me a bit sad watching anything with Gandolfini in it these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Nightcrawler

Fantastic central performance from the ever dependable Jake, Bill Paxton suitably oily and Renee Russo looking pretty damn good. Some suspension of belief is required as it veers towards the ludicrous by times but its nonetheless enjoyable.

7/10

I also watched this on Saturday night. I agree with the veering towards ludicrous at times, but for me I would let it go, as there was enough reality / depth of character there to work with. It was a bit like Drive in that regard (just using a loose and lazy fast car movie reference)
    Really really enjoyed it, I havent been sucked in by a movie like it in months. Jake G is in absolute top form in it and I would thoroughly recommend it. 8/10 for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Predestination
    Thought it was quite good. Knowing that it was a time travel film had me guessing what was going on right from the beginning.
    Characters appearing with obscured faces so often made the ending a bit obvious.
    . I think Looper is the best time travel film I've seen recently and this isn't as good, but it's very entertaining. The leads are all very good and I liked that its a sci-fi film with very little special effects. It takes it's time and lets the actors tell the story. Worth a watch.

I was surprised to see that this was an Australian production. There is a lot coming out of Aus recently.

Touch of Evil (reconstructed version)
    Very oppressive, atmospheric, dirty, cynical thriller. I can see Orson Welles' pudgy, sweaty face in all those close-ups. The B&W photography was excellent. I'm not sure I really enjoyed the film itself, but the environment and atmosphere it produces were amazing. I can't remember the last time I saw something as visceral as this.

Hercules (2014)
    Nothing to see here! Move along....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

The Sting 1973 - Classic if dated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Monsters University (2013)

There's definitely much less of the trademark depth and sparkle synonymous with other Pixar productions, but it says a lot about the general standard of Hollywood (CGI) animation that it was still head and shoulders above the the typically more moronic, hyperactive animated films that flood the cinemas. It also suffered from the usual narrative curse of the prequel in that the making of our heroes is seldom as interesting as the journey they eventually have; that first film or story that first made us sit up and notice in the first place. That said, there were still plenty of laughs peppered throughout that kept the viewer entertained, both myself and my 4 year-old niece. I enjoyed the film, just not to the degrees that something like (for instance) Toy Story 3 did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Nightcrawler

Really liked it. Gyllenhaal is brillaint in it, there's some shots of him where he just looks like this alien otherwordly creature, cant belive he didnt get an oscar nomination. He gives a creepy, slightly/majorly unhinged and nuanced performance. Really enjoyed the whole premise of it. Especially enoyed the scene where Russo
    is giving the Tv anchors plugs to ham it up
    !I think it s fair reflection on where the media world is at the moment and where its heading. 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Nightcrawler
    Especially enoyed the scene where Russo
    is giving the Tv anchors plugs to ham it up
    !I think it s fair reflection on where the media world is at the moment and where its heading. 8/10

That was great...although i couldnt help make comparisons with
    Anchorman 2 when Ron Burgendy was commentating on the car chase
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Headhunters (2011) dir Morten Tyldum

Enjoyably swift and at times nasty thriller, I only winced once - during the head shaving cos that was the bit that you could imagine doing to oneself in the right (wrong) circumstances! Aksel Hennie was excellent as Roger Brown (where did he get that name?!) and Morten Tyldum clearly has an eye for this sort of thing. His other 2011 crime thriller Jackpot is on BBC Four on Wednesday or Thursday at 10 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

His other 2011 crime thriller Jackpot is on BBC Four on Wednesday or Thursday at 10 pm.

Thanks! Didn't know that was on! :D

Currently rewatching Our Friends In The North (1996). Saw it back in the day but had forgot what a classic it is. Christopher Eccleston, Mark Strong, Gina McKee and Daniel Craig (wonder what he's up to these days) at their level best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Currently rewatching Our Friends In The North (1996). Saw it back in the day but had forgot what a classic it is. Christopher Eccleston, Mark Strong, Gina McKee and Daniel Craig (wonder what he's up to these days) at their level best.

Still Craig's best performance outside of the Bond Franchise. He really was the best thing in it considering the cast. Excellent show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Force Majeure (2014)

I thought it was a brilliant premise for a movie and the issues of the main characters could've been teased out to create a gripping psychological drama. Instead it was tense but quite dull. Necessary dialogue was substituted for ponderous scenes of the characters looking miserable trudging around the place and long pointless shots of snow mobiles and skiers. It came to a somewhat satisfying conclusion but it was oh so painful getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

That hair....
    48186_2.jpg

Duggy747 wrote: »
    That hair....
    48186_2.jpg

It's like the British version of 'Interview With The Vampire'. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭j.s. pill II

Ageyev wrote: »

Watched Mystery Road. A really slow burner.

It's slow alright. Usually not a problem for me but it's very hard to recommend this one.

...though you can have a bit of fun by playing 'spot the Home & Away actors'...

...and I'd not slag either man off over yon hair or you'd be in for a nuttin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

bur wrote: »
    Enjoyed the hell out of John Wick. A fun bloody violent action packed movie. Great cast and a belting soundtrack too. 8/10

Watching this felt like viewing scenes from a video game trailer.

• Advertisement

Saturday Night Fever (1977)

Seen as the film was a massive cultural crossover during its time and the soundtrack been one of the biggest sellers ever, it's amazing to think as the film is a pretty downbeat experience and the character Tony Manero (played brilliantly by John Travolta, still his best performance for me) is such a bastard but thanks to Travolta he still makes you care for him. The treatment of women in the film is still a sore point for me even with Karen Lynn Gorney character. But the dance scenes are still amazing and Travolta brings a touch of Brando/De Niro to the role (amazing to think he made Grease after this) and his interactions with his family, brother and friends are some of the high points of the film. 8/10

Boogie Nights (1997)

Going through a Paul Thomas Anderson buzz after watching his brilliant lastest Inherent Vice, Boogie nights is still his most accessible to date and clearly shows his influences to Martin Scorsese and Robert Altman out in the open. It's also his most fun film to date, as always with Anderson you get great performances across the boards especially from Burt Reynolds (who had punch ups with Anderson and Thomas Jane on set, hated on the film but jumped back on board when he was getting awards, still his greatest performance), Julianne Moore, William H. Macy and Philip Seymour Hoffman (that scene when he comes onto Dirk is still some of the best acting you see). Heather Graham never got better then this. Alfred Molina cameo almost steals the film. Mark Wahlberg gives a very good performance and has great chemistry with John C.Reilly (the scenes in the recording studio are so funny even today).

The Stand out scenes for me is the William H. Macy
    tracking shot as he kills his slutty wife and himself at the New Years eve party
    and first time Dirk meets the gang at the outdoor party, it really shows what a special talent Anderson was and is still is to this day. Is it his best film? I have it at number 2 behind There will be blood but I do think its his most easy film to get into. Still the best American Director today in my eyes 10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

John Wick Well, what can I say? After reading some positive notes from boardsies I threw it on last night. Starring Keanu (no second name necessary - you know who I'm talking about) as a hit man who's styled himself a la Depeche Mode's Dave Gahan circa Songs of Faith and Devotion
    dfd1dfe1107fa53fdacc4dcfd260ad1f.jpg

It's dumb fun - and that's the best I can really say about it. At times it feels like a giant first person shooter game (apologies if the description is awry, I'm not a gamer) as some of the kills are just hilarious and OTT. If the Taken franchise is about a 60 year old man killing everyone in sight, then this is the 45 year old man version. Clearly setting it up for a franchise run, it's the action and violence that will probably make a success of it. I also had great fun counting the continuity errors, the "goofs" and the interchanging stuntmen. And the cars….nice.

I'll give it a 6/10 for what it is. This is most certainly not the extended version of La Belle Noiseuse……but if you're in the mood for this type of thing you could do worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Looper007 wrote: »
    Saturday Night Fever (1977)

Seen as the film was a massive cultural crossover during its time and the soundtrack been one of the biggest sellers ever, it's amazing to think as the film is a pretty downbeat experience and the character Tony Manero (played brilliantly by John Travolta, still his best performance for me) is such a bastard but thanks to Travolta he still makes you care for him. The treatment of women in the film is still a sore point for me even with Karen Lynn Gorney character. But the dance scenes are still amazing and Travolta brings a touch of Brando/De Niro to the role (amazing to think he made Grease after this) and his interactions with his family, brother and friends are some of the high points of the film. 8/10

Boogie Nights (1997)

Going through a Paul Thomas Anderson buzz after watching his brilliant lastest Inherent Vice, Boogie nights is still his most accessible to date and clearly shows his influences to Martin Scorsese and Robert Altman out in the open. It's also his most fun film to date, as always with Anderson you get great performances across the boards especially from Burt Reynolds (who had punch ups with Anderson and Thomas Jane on set, hated on the film but jumped back on board when he was getting awards, still his greatest performance), Julianne Moore, William H. Macy and Philip Seymour Hoffman (that scene when he comes onto Dirk is still some of the best acting you see). Heather Graham never got better then this. Alfred Molina cameo almost steals the film. Mark Wahlberg gives a very good performance and has great chemistry with John C.Reilly (the scenes in the recording studio are so funny even today).

The Stand out scenes for me is the William H. Macy
    tracking shot as he kills his slutty wife and himself at the New Years eve party
    and first time Dirk meets the gang at the outdoor party, it really shows what a special talent Anderson was and is still is to this day. Is it his best film? I have it at number 2 behind There will be blood but I do think its his most easy film to get into. Still the best American Director today in my eyes 10/10

Just watched these two myself recently. I hadn't seen 'Saturday Night Fever' since I was a kid and I believe that was a censored version they released after the uncut version disappeared from the cinemas, as I don't remember any of the nastier scenes. The impression I had of the film was that it was that awful disco dance film that 20+ somethings today thought was "kewl" in sort of jokey, kitsch, way. But, it's quite a different experience when viewed seriously.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Testament of Youth

Based on the memoirs of Vera Brittain and her experience of WW1. Just as she finally gets her father to agree to let her go to Oxford the war breaks out and her brother and two of his closest friends, one of whom Vera has fallen in love with, all sign up to go to the front. The story follows Vera, not the men, as she tries to settle at Oxford eventually deciding to volunteer as a nurse and her time in France, the fate of her boys weighing heavily on her all the time.

I read Brittain's book a while ago so I knew what was going to happen but the film still managed to pack a serious emotional punch. The trailers, you may have seen, paint it as a romance and her relationship with Roland, played by GoT's Kit Harrington, does make up a large part of the prewar section of this story but it is by no means just about that and it kind of annoys me that a lot of people would maybe be put off seeing this because they're mistaken in thinking it's a soppy love story.

There are a lot of films that deal with WW1 but the focus here is very much on Vera and we experience the war as she did, that is to say there's no muddy trenches or brave soldiers going over the top. I think people may have grown tired of that sort of film to the point that we're almost numb to the atrocities of WW1. By switching the focus you get a real sense of exactly what was lost in those 4 years and how those left behind were forced back into a world that didn't understand them at all.

It's far from a perfect film but it does the book justice and Alicia Vikander, who is in pretty much every scene, is a phenomenal talent. It's worth seeking this film out, it seems to be getting lost in all the other January Oscar releases, which is a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

John Wick Well, what can I say? After reading some positive notes from boardsies I threw it on last night. Starring Keanu (no second name necessary - you know who I'm talking about) as a hit man who's styled himself a la Depeche Mode's Dave Gahan circa Songs of Faith and Devotion
    dfd1dfe1107fa53fdacc4dcfd260ad1f.jpg

It's dumb fun - and that's the best I can really say about it. At times it feels like a giant first person shooter game (apologies if the description is awry, I'm not a gamer) as some of the kills are just hilarious and OTT. If the Taken franchise is about a 60 year old man killing everyone in sight, then this is the 45 year old man version. Clearly setting it up for a franchise run, it's the action and violence that will probably make a success of it. I also had great fun counting the continuity errors, the "goofs" and the interchanging stuntmen. And the cars….nice.

I'll give it a 6/10 for what it is. This is most certainly not the extended version of La Belle Noiseuse……but if you're in the mood for this type of thing you could do worse.

Same as my thought on it. Video games are supposed to be cribbing from action films and now it's switched around. The gun fights were a bit reminiscent of Equilibrium with its 'gun kata' stuff.

It's a fine dumb action flick as you say but I think it's a bit overrated with how people are going on about it. Great to see former cast members of The Wire pop up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Birdman

I'm 50/50 about it. Liked it but some moments felt it boring. Some good jokes around.
    All the one single shot scenes were nicely done.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Just watched these two myself recently. I hadn't seen 'Saturday Night Fever' since I was a kid and I believe that was a censored version they released after the uncut version disappeared from the cinemas, as I don't remember any of the nastier scenes. The impression I had of the film was that it was that awful disco dance film that 20+ somethings today thought was "kewl" in sort of jokey, kitsch, way. But, it's quite a different experience when viewed seriously.

It's a pretty downbeat film especially in the third act. I was expecting a Grease like film with some foul language when I first saw it years ago :pac:. But it's a bit Mean Streets with Disco in a way, Travolta is really awesome and the ending is a little sequel. Although avoid the sequel. makes a mockery of this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Barna77 wrote: »
    Birdman

I'm 50/50 about it. Liked it but some moments felt it boring. Some good jokes around.

I felt the same about it to be honest.
    I know every one is raving about Keatons performance but I thought Norton was great in it as well.

I'm still undecided about whether I really liked it or a bit meh to be honest. I'll give it another watch when it's released on Disc and maybe I'll appreciate it more when viewing alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Barna77 wrote: »
    Birdman

Yeh. Near to 50/50 myself to be perfectly honest. Although, I did enjoy it. There's just some things about it that I cannot put my finger on it that prevents me from singing its praises completely.

The final shot was a real let down too, I thought. I rolled my eyes there.

Everybody's very good in it though, especially Keaton, who I have never thought much of. But in the end, the film (like the films characters) just isn't as smart as it likes to think it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The Judge

A total mess of a movie. Its way too long, schmaltzy, Downey's daughter is annoying and straight out of stage school, the courtroom scenes are ridiculous and there's a boring sub plot involving an ex.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement