Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

"Zonad" (2009) Simon Delaney.

Strangely, I had been looking forward to this movie despite the poor reviews and comments in this thread but what a train wreck it turned out to be. Shockingly bad acting, appalling storyline and crude theft of gags from other movies that were previously funny now forever mutilated. A classic being 'Looks like a penis, only smaller' from the Clint Eastwood 1989 (!) movie "The Pink Cadillac" - priceless in the original movie but this abomination it fell flat on its face. Perhaps the director gambled on movie goers not having seen the original film.

I saw this a few years back and really enjoyed it. It was a bit farcical but I don't think they were trying to be taken too seriously, kind of B movie type of thing. It's very silly and they ham it up quite a lot but I got a good giggle out of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

zerks wrote: »
    The Amazing Spiderman & Total Recall.

Not sure about Spiderman,it was ok but I find the smartarse remarks annoying,virtually every time he spoke there was some kind of smart unfunny remark thrown in.

Total Recall was ok,watched the extended cut.Given the bad reviews,my expectations weren't that high but it wasn't as bad as I expected.

Watched the same 2.

Spiderman, why did they bother ?, the last reboot was 5 minutes ago, this did not add anything. 3/10

Total Recall, wouldn't have been to bad but falls down on comparison to the original.
    Essentially a 90 minute chase scene, 5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 12,498 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Atonement. Loved it, great performances and beautifully shot. Must check the book out now.

siblers wrote: »
    Atonement. Loved it, great performances and beautifully shot. Must check the book out now.

Book is amazing. I read it before I saw the film and although it is probably one of the better adaptations of recent years it's still not a patch on the book. Joe Wright makes lovely films, whether you enjoy the actual film (and inevitable presence of Kiera Knightley) or not is a different matter, but they look lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Immortals - Dear christ what an absolute ham/wankfest.
    Omen 1,2,3 - Awesome though the ending deserved better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

The Messenger

Went to see Argo on friday and I thought the acting was pretty much flawless from all involved. But then I watched the messenger last night and bloody hell that was acting in a different class altogether. What a film.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭Ottway

Had to attend Fun Size (extended family oblig) and was not looking forward to it at all but it was the first kids film I seen in years were there weren't children running around, crying, screaming for attention. They were actually enjoying it and adults too. Rips off a few 80's flicks, but decent enough for what it is.

There's an actress in it called, Jane Levy which I had never heard of before - can see her becoming a big star. She stole most scenes she was in and made the lead actress look quite bland and uncharismatic. Google'd her just there and see she got the lead in the remake of The Evil Dead, due out next summer. Most likely will be crap, haven't seen a decent remake since The Departed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,498 ✭✭✭✭siblers

tunguska wrote: »
    The Messenger

Went to see Argo on friday and I thought the acting was pretty much flawless from all involved. But then I watched the messenger last night and bloody hell that was acting in a different class altogether. What a film.

With Ben Foster and Woody Harrelson? 89% on RottenTomatoes, gonna have to give it a watch,.
    Book is amazing. I read it before I saw the film and although it is probably one of the better adaptations of recent years it's still not a patch on the book. Joe Wright makes lovely films, whether you enjoy the actual film (and inevitable presence of Kiera Knightley) or not is a different matter, but they look lovely.
    Reminded me of Birdsong and I adored that book, so will definitly give it a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Texas Killing Fields

An absolute shambles of a film, the eidting was atrocious, the sound was so bad a number of times I had to rewind a re play a few times to pick up what lines were said, under-developed story which just jumped all over the place it was un-coherent mess to be honest, made all the worse that after some research I hear it was based upon a true story.

Sam Worthington was absolutely dire as Detective Mike Souder, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Chloe Grace Moretz were the only bright lights in the film, which also had Stephen Graham in it an actor I normally find very watchable and and has a great on screen presence was completely wasted in this film in which I'd say he had a no more than ten lines of dialogue. Id give this a 3/10 and even at that right now I feel im probably being generous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

the sweeney, not bad, shooting and swearing, story line is a bit flakey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    ham/wankfest.

Sounds like some night in!

I watched Kill List last night, a British film from last year that was on Film Four over the weekend, about ex-soldiers who are hired as contract killers .
    Starts off like a modern day BBC style drama with some good chemistry / funny lines between the two. Once they start the job it’s becomes a pretty gruesome thriller, one of the men has been more affected by his time in the army than the other and there is subtle nods to a much darker / horror undertone which is revealed in the last third of the film
    The ending is not one I’ll forget too soon.
    I would recommend it, no doubt it will be on F4 again

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I just Watched OMG Oh My God!

It's a Bollywood film that I stumbled across more by accident than anything else and I have to say it is a fantastic film. It's funny, well acted and has a very serious message at its core. Honestly if you get a chance to see this film then don't pass it up, it definitely justifies its 8.5/10 rating on IMDB.

Don't miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

End of Watch, best cop show ive seen in years, gyllenhaal and pena where on top form in this,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Floating Clouds - Mikio Naruse cynical post-war melodrama concerning the lengthy toxic relationship that forms when Tomioka (Masayuki Mori) and Yukiko (Hideko Takamine) have a wartime affair in Indo-China. Returning to the uncertainty of 1946 Tokyo, the two drift aimlessly, constantly pushing each other away only to inevitably be drawn back together. It's a much more pessimistic and bold film than many of the Japanese films produced around that time - certainly more Oshima than Ozu (there are some thematic echoes with Kurosawa's weak I Live in Fear, but this is a far stronger and more complex piece of work). Despite its seemingly hopeless protagonists, it's still strangely affectionate in the way it portrays two people dealing with crises both minor and major. Naruse's direction is less immediately distinctive than many of his peers - although there are some beautiful black & white visuals throughout - but this is a very rich film in terms of themes and characters, and the two central performances are constantly engaging.

The film's structure is also quite interesting, with well-handled flashbacks and inventive editing that makes curious chronological leaps between scenes. While some scenes and images are more provocative than you'd find in a lot of Japanese cinema of the time - a man and woman in an onsen! - Naruse cleverly hints at some of the film's darker developments through visual cues and well-timed cuts.

I picked up BFI's Naruse boxset, so looking forward to checking out the other two films included. A slightly strange quirk of the release is that some dialogue - mostly salutations and other brief remarks - remains unsubtitled, perhaps because there's no brief English-language equivalent. Still, it's a bit odd in an otherwise solid DVD (make sure your TV is displaying 4:3!).

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

Atonement Such a beautifully shot film, typical of Wright! I must really give Anna Karenina a watch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

don ramo wrote: »
    End of Watch, best cop show ive seen in years, gyllenhaal and pena where on top form in this,

Yeah it looks good,Training Day vibe off it ?

Gamb!t wrote: »

I've heard it compared to the TV show Southland a lot. In a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Agree. One of,if not the best film I've seen this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Gamb!t wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it's the guy who wrote Training Day. He did Harsh Times as well, with Christian Bale, which I thought was a fantastic film. One my favourites of the last few years. It seems to have faded from most peoples memories. A forgotten gem. The ending is a bit of a cop out. It's weak writing, but that's only the last minute or so, you can forgive it.

Don't want to go in to specifics in case I ruin it for somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Seen it (End of Watch) last night. I haven't enjoyed a film as much since Warrior last year. I thought the ending was very good. 9/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

See the Sea (1997)

A lonely woman with child has her life made a bit more interesting when a backpacker arrives on the island on which the woman lives.

Decent little film. Really can't say too much about it without ruining plot points, although the film hasn't got much a plot, more just a meandering film that has a definite opening and conclusion. One of those kinds of interesting foreign films you might catch on Film4 late at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

"Skyfall".

Big pile of meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Argo, another cracking film from affleck, solid story and well told,

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

End Of Watch

It's really good. Wasn't prepared for the episodic nature of it but the ending was really strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Just finished the Quantum of Solace.

Much better on the second viewing. Actually a decent flick.

edit: drunken view is drunken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Watched Buffalo '66. Really enjoyed it. Christina Ricci is adorable. It needs the strength of Gallo's ego to carry the movie, it could have been boring with another actor. Didn't realise Angelica Huston was the mother, until I read up about it afterwards. She was great.

Also watched Barton Fink. Its a strange film, with an unexpected cartoonish ending. I loved the scenes with John Mahoney but overall the film fell flat for me. Its the first Coen brothers film out of about twelve that I haven't really liked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

The Master

I renew my membership to the church of Paul Thomas Anderson.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭rednik

Watched Magnolia for the first time in probably 10 years and it is still a great film. The performances were superb and whoever thinks Tom Cruise can't act should watch this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Yeah watched it last night. Really gripping at times. Cant remember the last time I felt that watching this type of movie. Gyllenhaal is a bit of a weak link imo but doesn't take away from the movie on the whole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

We went to see Argo which was really good, excellent selection of actors in it, especially the wonderful Alan Arkin!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement