Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Ahhhh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Tony EH wrote: »
    :confused:

Im confused as well. Think i might have typed that a bit too quickly.

ill try again. COUGH!!

Good Film. Haven't ran long distance in a long time but this film would make you think twice about complaining or giving up when you hit that wall.
    The weight loss on two of the actors was remarkable.
    A bit over dramatic at times and the Japanese Captain was miscast, i believe he's a major popstar in Japan.

i'm a real sucker for war films. Oh and Angelina Jolie directed it. Woke up under a bridge this morning. Great day yesterday.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Right so.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Kidnapping Mr Heineken. At least they gave Anthony Hopkins a little bed and toilet to sleepwalk his way through this waste of my time.
    Read the wiki article about the kidnap and spare yourself the monotony of the movie.
    Hopkins must be the greatest example of a man wasting his talents at the moment. I know De Niro and Pacino cruise a little here and there but occasionally you see flashes of what lies beneath. With Hopkins, nothing.

The movie scores 1/ 10. 1 is for the caterers / electricians / security etc who no doubt did their job perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Recently finished all 25 episodes of "Foyle's War" on Netflix.

British WW.II./Cold War police drama series starring Michael Kitchen, Honeysuckle Weeks and Anthony Howell.

honeysuckle-weeks-and-michael-kitchen.jpg?w=620

Well written, with great attention to detail and multiple sub-plots all coming neatly together to make for pleasing viewing. Sadly there are only three further episodes to look forward to - not on Netflix yet - as ITV have axed the series for the second and probably final time. :(10/10

• Advertisement

^ Its more that Anthony Horowitz has run out of ideas for Foyle. If he wants him back, we may see more of him. By the way, you're in for a cracking final season anyways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Del.Monte wrote: »

British WW.II./Cold War police drama series starring Michael Kitchen, Honeysuckle Weeks and Anthony Howell.

honeysuckle-weeks-and-michael-kitchen.jpg?w=620

Well written, with great attention to detail and multiple sub-plots all coming neatly together to make for pleasing viewing. Sadly there are only three further episodes to look forward to - not on Netflix yet - as ITV have axed the series for the second and probably final time. :(10/10

Had to double check - Samantha Stewart is her character's name and Honeysuckle Weeks is her real name!

Hahahahahahahahahahah...

FFS.

Parents should be shot for giving their poor kids names like that.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Hahahahahahahahahahah...

FFS.

Parents should be shot for giving their poor kids names like that.

Ah come on now, whats wrong with Honeysuckle? If they were really bad they would have given her the christian name of "9 and a half"!.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

^ She has a sister named Perdita and a brother named Rollo.

• Advertisement

Oh my god.

Those parents are just ****.

:pac:

Honeysuckle fetched up in Death In Paradise along with James Fox in the final episode of the last season.
    She was a very convincing gangsters moll and he an uptight Englishman. Both enjoyed their paid holiday although she did suffer from sunburn.

I'll drop the ultimate spoiler here and leave it stand even though I know how to use the tags.

Foyle can drive.

He never said he couldn't.

Like myself, better things to be doing that motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Klitschko Surprisingly interesting documentary on the Klitschko brothers and lives to date and boxing careers on Blu Ray (picked it up very cheaply in HMV sale). Some great footage of their early years accompanied with interviews from a wide variety of friends, family, coaches, promoters, trainers etc. I like documentaries as a whole but apart from the excellent 30 for 30 Series on ESPN sports documentaries tend to disappoint. Klitschko doesn't. Regularly on ITV4, definitely worth a look. The sound of some of the punches connecting from the ringside mics is astonishing and the training sequences are at time brutal. A strong 7.5/10.

The Final Destination recorded from Film 4 recently. I normally don't mind these but they clearly ran out of ideas with this one. Obviously originally shot for 3D viewing such is the amount of needless and useless close-ups of objects, it's very poor in comparison to the rest of the series. An absolutely awful 2/10.

I will never likely watch it but the OH went to see 50 Shades of Grey last night. Bearing in mind her film choices would be very mainstream and very feminine I expected her to love it and come back saying it was amazeballs etc., but she hated it. For perspective, her Top 20 All Time Films would definitely include (I asked her specifically for this purpose!) Top Gun, Sweet Home Alabama, The Notebook, Legally Blonde, An Officer and a Gentleman, Red Corner (yes, the Richard Gere movie), Beaches amongst others. She gave 50SOG 2/10 purely for the date scene (whatever that is).

I will never likely watch it but the OH went to see 50 Shades of Grey last night. Bearing in mind her film choices would be very mainstream and very feminine I expected her to love it and come back saying it was amazeballs etc., but she hated it. For perspective, her Top 20 All Time Films would definitely include (I asked her specifically for this purpose!) Top Gun, Sweet Home Alabama, The Notebook, Legally Blonde, An Officer and a Gentleman, Red Corner (yes, the Richard Gere movie), Beaches amongst others. She gave 50SOG 2/10 purely for the date scene (whatever that is).

I'd happily watch Legally Blonde and Beaches tonight. Wouldn't be anywhere near the top 20 but nothing wrong with either. Although if that's her taste, I'd recommend Some Like It Hot as a certifiable classic that doesn't feel like homework. Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis in dresses with Marilyn supplying the Hot.

I'd happily watch Legally Blonde and Beaches tonight. Wouldn't be anywhere near the top 20 but nothing wrong with either. Although if that's her taste, I'd recommend Some Like It Hot as a certifiable classic that doesn't feel like homework. Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis in dresses with Marilyn supplying the Hot.

I had to force her to watch that. She enjoyed it I suspect more than she confessed, but complained that it was in black and white. As for anything with subtitles, forget it. She also fell asleep during The Godfather and Heat when I tried to introduce those to her. We certainly have differing cinematic tastes…...:roll eyes:

Sorry, I'm not saying those titles are absolutely dire in everyone's eyes, but I doubt I'd find many who'd have them in their Top 210….certainly not on this forum anyway.

I had to force her to watch that. She enjoyed it I suspect more than she confessed, but complained that it was in black and white. As for anything with subtitles, forget it. She also fell asleep during The Godfather and Heat when I tried to introduce those to her. We certainly have differing cinematic tastes…...:roll eyes:

Sorry, I'm not saying those titles are absolutely dire in everyone's eyes, but I doubt I'd find many who'd have them in their Top 210….certainly not on this forum anyway.

There are people here who could discuss Japanese and Italian cinema until the cows come home in Fellini fashion. They still have their untalked about moments when a wee brainless romcom is all that fits.
    I've seen The Godfather(s) and Heat and rate them highly. I fell asleep during Heat in the cinema ... drink was involved. And I'm inclined to bugger off and make food during The Godfather several times as I'm a sucker for Italian dishes. I mean even Godfather 3 and the brown bread and the olive oil. I'm at it again:rolleyes:.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 tied_up

watched FRANK ( with michael fassbender ) on netflix last night

didnt make it to the end , one of the worst movies ive ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭FaulknersFav

Watched Frank in cinema and loved it. Great depiction of a person attempting to self-medicate through art. Found it really sad though.

Hoping to watch It Follows tonight, anyone seen it yet??

Watched Moon (2009) again last night, my better half had not seen it. Fantastic, Sam Rockwell is amazing in it. Anyone who hasn't seen it and likes Sci Fi movies, or movies with a strong focus on existentialism to them, I recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

^3 very good movies. It Follows has an incredible atmosphere.

Netflix the service which keeps on giving! Saved myself more money last night by watching "Life's a Breeze" (2013) instead of buying it.

lifes-a-breeze.jpg

A Dublin family send a mattress stuffed with Granny's life savings to the landfill. That's it. Little happens, little humour and I was still waiting for the movie to start when the credits rolled. I love Irish film but this is just taking the piss. 83 minutes of my life that I want back. 0/10

• Advertisement

^ I was so disappointed with Life's a Breeze. Especially considering Lance Daly's first film Kisses was, in my opinion, brilliant. Also yer man's performance in Garage must have been a one off because he's as useless as you'd expect in this.

Lance Daly also directed "The Halo Effect" (2004) which I though was brilliant.

Funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing about Pat Shortt - brilliant in "Garage" and "Killinaskully" but nothing since.

Lance Daly also directed "The Halo Effect" (2004) which I though was brilliant.

Funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing about Pat Shortt - brilliant in "Garage" and "Killinaskully" but nothing since.

Well.... I'm not sure there was a lot of acting going on in Killinaskully.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Well.... I'm not sure there was a lot of acting going on in Killinaskully.

Ah there was plenty of acting going on in Killnaskully... actin' the maggot! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I prefer Shortt on the saxophone, but he was genuinely brilliant in Garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

^ I was so disappointed with Life's a Breeze. Especially considering Lance Daly's first film Kisses was, in my opinion, brilliant. Also yer man's performance in Garage must have been a one off because he's as useless as you'd expect in this.

Kisses was really one of the best thing to come out of here in a long while, sad to here this wasn't any good. Didn't Life a Breeze even get a cinema release here? sure his follow up the Good doctor made in 2011 with Orlando Bloom, Michael Pena, taraji p Henson, JK Simmons and riley keough went straight to DVD sadly he's not living up to his brilliant third film.

Halo Effect was a very good short film dragged out into a full feature. Stephen Rea is the best thing in it but I think Daly's strong point is his visuals but I think he needs a co screenwriter to help his weaknesses in his writing imo.

Looper007 wrote: »
    Kisses was really one of the best thing to come out of here in a long while, sad to here this wasn't any good. Didn't Life a Breeze even get a cinema release here? sure his follow up the Good doctor made in 2011 with Orlando Bloom, Michael Pena, taraji p Henson, JK Simmons and riley keough went straight to DVD sadly he's not living up to his brilliant third film.

Halo Effect was a very good short film dragged out into a full feature. Stephen Rea is the best thing in it but I think Daly's strong point is his visuals but I think he needs a co screenwriter to help his weaknesses in his writing imo.

I'm pretty sure it did. Probably limited as most Irish films seem to be but I do remember people singing it's praises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

Heehee.... watching the 'Cloverfield' ... missing the ultimate razzmatazz jazz monster munch? Then next time drink coffee cause sleeping is for the wimpy wheez!

Chappie in the IMAX in Cineworld. Have to admit first off that despite owning District 9 on both DVD and Blu Ray I've yet to watch it and Elysium remains unseen too. So, essentially, this was my first encounter with director Neill Blomkamp. Overall I was very pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed this film. As per usual I went into this pretty much blind having shunned almost all trailers, promo articles and reviews etc. Having read some reviews since I left it yesterday I simply cannot understand the hate for this movie. I found it fresh, engaging, humorous and at times thoughtful. Watching - and hearing it in the IMAX certain delivered (I even had a little jump at one or two of the explosions :D). The only negatives for me were Hugh Jackman's mullet, a few plot and continuity errors
    such as the ridiculousness of having the guy who invented a multi-trillion dollar program working in an open plan office and driving a company branded van (lol), and an ending that's a bit silly
    The casting of Die Antwood has come in for much criticism, but I thought they were ok. Certainly as a representation of the look and feel of those outcast from society they did a good job! Dev Patel is fine in his role as Deon (Chappie's creator), but the real star is the robot. Will definitely add this to the collection on release. 7.5/10. Now I simply have to watch District 9….and soon.

• Advertisement

Chappie in the IMAX in Cineworld. Have to admit first off that despite owning District 9 on both DVD and Blu Ray I've yet to watch it and Elysium remains unseen too. So, essentially, this was my first encounter with director Neill Blomkamp. Overall I was very pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed this film. As per usual I went into this pretty much blind having shunned almost all trailers, promo articles and reviews etc. Having read some reviews since I left it yesterday I simply cannot understand the hate for this movie. I found it fresh, engaging, humorous and at times thoughtful. Watching - and hearing it in the IMAX certain delivered (I even had a little jump at one or two of the explosions ). The only negatives for me were Hugh Jackman's mullet, a few plot and continuity errors
    such as the ridiculousness of having the guy who invented a multi-trillion dollar program working in an open plan office and driving a company branded van (lol), and an ending that's a bit silly
    The casting of Die Antwood has come in for much criticism, but I thought they were ok. Certainly as a representation of the look and feel of those outcast from society they did a good job! Dev Patel is fine in his role as Deon (Chappie's creator), but the real star is the robot. Will definitely add this to the collection on release. 7.5/10. Now I simply have to watch District 9….and soon.

Blomkamp is a strange fruit. I've only seen 'District 9' and 'Elysium'. I don't know if I'll be going to the flicks to see 'Chappie' though. 'District 9', I thought, was very good and easily the best effort of his so far. A good idea handled well. But, I think the budget, or lack thereof, allowed me to overlook its lesser parts. 'Elysium', though, was a good idea badly handled. I think I posted on this thread about it before.

*Edit Yep, I did:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86515500&postcount=2647

'Chappie' looks like more of the same from the trailer, which is a bit of a worry, as he's effectively signed up for a future Aliens film, which is a genre that is just not suited to directors that have a particular and peculiarly stylised approach, as we witnessed with Jeunet's utterly woeful, Joss Whedon scripted, 'Alien Resurrection'.

Blomkamp seems to be a competent director. A steady hand on the tiller, if you will. But the ship looks to be going in only one direction.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement