Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Home alone 2 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Watching Gambit - the 1966 version with Caine and Maclaine. Theres a remake on the way so I like to see the original first. So far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

End of Watch - thoroughly enjoyed that got the recommendation from this thread. Thanks folks :)

Dogtooth - very strange, very funny and very odd Greek film about an unusual family. Somewhat dark considering the children were prisoners of their own parents not by force but just by lies and deception. Not quite sure if I liked it overall but some parts of it are cock your head sideways kinda strange and then you burst out laughing. Mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Just finished watching Grizzly Man a documentary about a man killed by a bear...... It was created by Werner Herzog( the dead man's archive of footage) so it's not a by the books biographical documentary about Timothy Treadwell, the man who was killed by his passion for wildlife(particularly bears). It may sound silly but Herzog makes it into a fascinating study of Treadwell and he doesn't really come out as glowing ecowarrior by the end of the it, more of a sad individual who found it difficult to coexist with people. Herzog does seem to warp him into a character that may not necessarily be true to the actual individual it is based on, so you can't help but feel uncertain.

10/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

End of Watch

Right from the opening scene I loved it

I'd give it two thumps up if I could

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

End of Watch - Brilliant, exciting and a good cast

Pena is fantastic in it and a good finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

End of watch

Am I on my own in thinking there was nothing special about it???

Think I'm becoming a cynic in my old(er) age:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Watched end of watch and thought it was very good.
    I like what they did with the camera work in the movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Searchers - I don't know why, but up until tonight I had only ever seen the opening half hour of this. The Blu-Ray was a fine opportunity to experience the film's visual splendour and grand scope for the first time. One of Hollywood's great cinematography achievements, no doubt about it - full of iconic images and epic landscapes.

Storywise, I was a bit concerned after Blood Meridian has pretty much turned me into a lifetime cynic when it comes to the Old West :pac: But to Ford and Wayne's credit, this is a more complex portrayal of the era than the vast majority of its peers. Wayne's Ethan Edwards is a compelling portrayal of a cowboy - stubborn and outdated (particularly in politics and issues of race), yet also determined and strangely righteous in his own way. It's perhaps the definitive John Wayne cowboy, and the film's near decade long story gives plenty of insight into both the beauty and hypocrisies of the Western as a genre and a historical place. It perhaps doesn't delve as far into that subject as its less restricted successors in more recent decades have, but this is a grand old testament to the studio Western.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I've never really understood the fascination with 'The Searchers' (and I don't share the love affair with Ford in general), but I've always felt that 'The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance' was a much better film, by far, yet the former film usually gets most of the praise.

I find it unnecessarily stagey, which is odd considering that Ford had the whole of the Utah valley to shoot in.

I don't know what it is about Ford's films, but they tend to leave me cold. 'The Grapes of Wrath', 'How Green Was My Valley' and 'The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance' being the exceptions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I actually dont buy into the cult of Ford usually, or indeed the cult of Wayne. Their films tend to be safer and more conservative than Id usually be fond of. Partially explains why its taken me so long to return to The Searchers.

That said, I do think the Searchers is suitably grand and epic. A few undeniably stagey scenes (the campsite scene stands out) are merrily countered by many genuinely breathtaking views and locations. And as I said above, I do think the story is more self-aware than most, even if it ultimately settles on a formulaic (albeit beautifully framed) conclusion.

Is it, as many claim, one of the greatest films ever made? Possibly, although most definitely wouldnt make my personal top ten or twenty. Still, I can easily see where the praise comes from. In terms of its scope and visual design, it has little competition.

I havent seen Liberty Valance, but its been added to the list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Hey folks,

New on here so go easy on me.;)

Trying to watch all the DVDs I have not watched before before buying new ones so this weekend I finally got around to watching 2 movies I have owned this on DVD for I would imagine 10 years but never one made it out of their respectivbe boxes.

First up was Abel Ferrara's "Bad Lieutenant" with Harvey Keitel. I have to admit to being a bit disappointed with it. Keitel is good in it, but the story didn't do much for me. Maybe I was just in a bad mood........I'd give it maybe a 6 and a bit out of 10 for Keitel alone, but I've seen him do similar-ish roles much better in better pics.

Next up was ensemble pic "2 Days in the Valley", which was surprisingly pleasant. Nothing amazingly good or bad about it, but more definitely more of a slightly cheesey comedy than anything else. Maybe a 6 out of 10.

Then was gutted to hear that "Betty Blue" was shown in town over the weekend. Anyone know if they screened the full Director's Cut or an edit? It's probably my favourite French Film and I've never seen it on a big screen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Rita, Bob and Sue Too - Hadn't seen this since I was a youngster, probably watched it with the family as a teen which would of been very uncomfortable viewing. Amazing balls cast, the dude that plays the alco father...legend!!

Was at the press screening of Rise of the Guardians earlier. Alas, it's very distinctly aimed at a younger audience - certainly few of the thematic / narrative / humourous concessions to older audiences the best Pixar and Dreamwork films are keen to include. Hard film to really comment on - the visuals are impressive albeit hyperactive, the story has some odd and over-sentimental morals (basically - believe what the moon tells you) and the characters are hit and miss. The silent Sandman is a welcome addition, but Hugh Jackman as a boomerang wielding Easter Bunny is just sort of weird.

Kids should enjoy it, but there's only so much entertainment their own guardians will find here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Watched Paranorman. Started out well but kinda went a little flat untill the last 15 mins or so. Animation was excellent but the sound, in 5.1, completely blew me away. Would be a good showcase for any AV set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Christmas with the Kranks

Came in from training on saturday evening and it was on the TV. Im deeply ashamed to admit it, but for whatever sick reasons, I enjoyed this movie. Ranks right up there with the day I caught myself tuning into Country fm........

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Just finished watching Grizzly Man a documentary about a man killed by a bear...... It was created by Werner Herzog( the dead man's archive of footage) so it's not a by the books biographical documentary about Timothy Treadwell, the man who was killed by his passion for wildlife(particularly bears). It may sound silly but Herzog makes it into a fascinating study of Treadwell and he doesn't really come out as glowing ecowarrior by the end of the it, more of a sad individual who found it difficult to coexist with people. Herzog does seem to warp him into a character that may not necessarily be true to the actual individual it is based on, so you can't help but feel uncertain.

10/10

Herzog's always said that he's about the 'ecstatic truth' in his documentaries. Deep truths about our existence or the human condition. I don't think he's above skewing things a certain way to get at that. Therefore I don't think we're getting a full picture Tim but I do still think that a fair few of the people in this came across as a bit 'off' just in talking to the camera. Certain things felt way staged and several WTF moments came of that like the creepy coroner and the way the camera backs away from him at the end of his interview as he just stares into space, looking morose or shellshocked, the ex gf giving Werner a listen of Tim's death audio and the bush pilot singing along to Don Edwards' Coyotes (a beautiful song), with new words...

And Geronimo's gone, and Sam Bass is gone, the lion is gone and Treadwell is gone....

Great great film though. Wouldn't change a thing in regards to how it was made.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

A Series Of Unfortunate Events and then going to be watching Night Of The Living Dead for the very first time ever! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

End of watch, very good film 8/10 only thing I didn't like was the ending but I still rate it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Ninja Scroll

It's a fantastic anime. It's the type of gem that you hope you find and rarely do. Don't want to give too much away but will say that there are some very clever plot details and the film seems very well thought out story wise. Some of the animated shots look amazing, I'm not sure if they used computer animation for them, but if they didn't they are a tremendous feat of skill and technique that the Japanese display time and time again with their animations.

What sets this apart from most anime is that it all makes sense. The character motivations all ring true and as I've mentioned there are some very clever details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

What sets this apart from most anime is that it all makes sense.
    I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with you, I'd put Ninja Scroll down with the worst anime I've seen and certainly the most absurdly overhyped. The only thing that separates it from countless straight to video 18 certificate exploitation of the time is some slicker animation and that it somehow gained a cult following. I find the film's positive following very baffling to say the least and the relentless misogyny in it is just cringe-worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

e_e wrote: »
    I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with you, I'd put Ninja Scroll down with the worst anime I've seen and certainly the most absurdly overhyped. The only thing that separates it from countless straight to video 18 certificate exploitation of the time is some slicker animation and that it somehow gained a cult following. I find the film's positive following very baffling to say the least and the relentless misogyny in it is just cringe-worthy.

I'd actually never heard of it, and I've watched a crap ton of anime. The surprise factor really elevated it for me. It seemed to be the opposite for you because you called it, "overhyped."

It's interesting what you say about the misogyny because I felt that the most devoloped character in the film was the female. But thinking about it you're correct, but there has to be. She's a female in a mans world, they can't have sex with her so they treat her like a man, a ninja. You had to have that element because the reason she falls in love with the main character is because he treats her as an equal, a person and a woman. She's also a very powerful character, equal to any man, and can even match the demons. She's intelligent and fiercely independent as well. She's a very strong character, so you could argue it both ways.

They do flaunt the female form, but it's always portrayed as beautiful. The more I think about it all the female characters in the film are very powerful, and there are severe consequences for messing with them, or mistreating them.
    There are clear indications however, that the female, lets just say 'organ'
    is venomous.

I hope you don't think this is me shouting "you're wrong, you're wrong, you're wrong" at you because everything you said is right, from your perspective. It just caused me to think further on what I'd watched and that's never a bad thing. If you don't like the film, you don't like the film. I can actually understand why some people wouldn't like. For though, last night, it was the perfect tonic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"The Bourne Trilogy" - again - in preparation for buying the Bourne Legacy when it comes out on DVD in December. Hits the spot every time. 10/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I hope you don't think this is me shouting "you're wrong, you're wrong, you're wrong" at you because everything you said is right
    Nah I was interested in reading your take on the film. I appreciate it. :)

Though I do think the film tries to have its cake and eat it in that regard: "Yes she's strong and a capable heroine, but we're also gonna have her stripped and humiliated several times throughout the film."

I hope you don't think this is me shouting "you're wrong, you're wrong, you're wrong" at you because everything you said is right, from your perspective.

You don't need to apologise everytime you disagree with someone you know ;) In fact, I think not responding or engaging with sensible debate is more of a grounds for apologising.

On that note: I do have to somewhat disagree with your assertion that most anime doesn't make sense. I'd specify that bad anime tends to not make sense. Of course, there are a few particularly busy or idiosyncratic anime productions that are a tad on the confusing side - Paprika would be an example of a 'good' anime film that still perplexes from time to time with its avalanche of unusual developments. However, I think the variations in general Japanese cinematic storytelling and pacing, as well as the inevitable tribulations of translation (which are likely more pronounced with Japanese than most other languages), can explain why we're sometimes perhaps left momentarily behind by some narrative developments.

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    ...and then going to be watching Night Of The Living Dead for the very first time ever! :D

:eek:

Be gentle with it. Remember, it was made for 2 and 6, before you were even thought of.

I actually dont buy into the cult of Ford usually, or indeed the cult of Wayne. Their films tend to be safer and more conservative than Id usually be fond of. Partially explains why its taken me so long to return to The Searchers.

That said, I do think the Searchers is suitably grand and epic. A few undeniably stagey scenes (the campsite scene stands out) are merrily countered by many genuinely breathtaking views and locations. And as I said above, I do think the story is more self-aware than most, even if it ultimately settles on a formulaic (albeit beautifully framed) conclusion.

Is it, as many claim, one of the greatest films ever made? Possibly, although most definitely wouldnt make my personal top ten or twenty. Still, I can easily see where the praise comes from. In terms of its scope and visual design, it has little competition.

I havent seen Liberty Valance, but its been added to the list :)

Yep, get your ass down to Liberty Valance street as soon as you can. It's a crackin show.

Not a Wayne fan myself (or even a Western fan), but it's Jimmy's film anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,034 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Tony EH wrote: »
    Yep, get your ass down to Liberty Valance street as soon as you can. It's a crackin show.

Not a Wayne fan myself (or even a Western fan), but it's Jimmy's film anyway.

I have to see Liberty Valance myself. Just for 2 of the most distinct voices I've heard on film. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Finally got to see Naked [1993] (headed by David Thewlis, directed by Mike Leigh). I loved it. It's so theatrical and grim. Similar atmosphere to Witnail and I, without the outright comedy, even though it is still a funny film. The characters are outrageous. Thewlis is great as a deadbeat poetic character, full of existential musings. Had to laugh at the prophetic scene where he says he wants to be a werewolf [eleven years later he plays Professer Lupin in the Harry Potter movies].

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement