Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

You don't need to apologise everytime you disagree with someone you know ;) In fact, I think not responding or engaging with sensible debate is more of a grounds for apologising.

Well you're wrong about that but I'm sorry for saying so. Just joking.

They just seem weird because I was brought up on classic Hollywood narative system. The weird turns and things are one of the biggest reasons I watch anime and Japanese films, 'foreign movies' in general because it's refreshing when you don't know what's coming. As a boy, when I first discovered Chinese and Japanese films it was like a breath of fresh air. I used to stay up late and watch them on Channel 4. It's a very pleasant memory, that will eventually be robbed from me when I get Alzheimer's.

I'm not saying I don't enjoy Hollywood movies, because I do, it's just from the opening shot, 9 times out of 10 I know exactly what's going to happen.
    I enjoyed Paprika, managed to get the soundtrack too which I'm very happy about, because it was the audioscape in that film that really drew me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

After reading all the conficting opinions here on The Tree of Life, I was dying to see it so I watched it tonight. I liked it alot. The film was very engaging but I found it a difficult watch at the same time, simply because it was so intensely sad. The first hour is a joy, with the creation sequence and the children in their infantry. I'd love to have seen it on the big screen. The second half, led by the fantastic eldest brother, emotionally affected me more than any other child performance I've ever seen (the fact that the actor is the absolute spit of my brother might have assisted the connection). What struck me about the film was the complete lack of dialogue. So much is said with a look. I'll probably be thinking about the film for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

End of Watch - 9/10

Two lead actors were fantastic, felt like such a natural chemistry and made you feel invested in the characters and care about the story.

Excellent movie.

Ill Manors - 7.5/10

Really enjoyed this also, good acting in it but probably suffered from too many stories & characters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mizoguchi's pre-war drama Sisters of the Gion. Technically, still absolutely magnificent: the same intense static takes and powerful utilisation of close-ups - maybe two or three in the whole film - that defined his later greats. Opens with a beautiful tracking shot, which must have been a nightmare given the technical limitations of the time, and all the more impressive because of it. Storywise, a little cruder than his masterpieces, but still a powerful and bold deconstruction of the Geisha trade and gender roles in Japanese society. Two Geisha sisters find themselves taking two very different approaches to their careers and clients, and the director insightfully examines this moral and professional conflict. Just over an hour long, but has a welcome sense of humour to counteract it's darker (sometimes over explained) themes. Intriguing counterpoint to his later Gion Bayashi, another superb drama in the same setting (the quiet backstreets and residences of the elegant Gion district in Kyoto).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

livinsane wrote: »
    Finally got to see Naked [1993] (headed by David Thewlis, directed by Mike Leigh). I loved it. It's so theatrical and grim. Similar atmosphere to Witnail and I, without the outright comedy, even though it is still a funny film. The characters are outrageous. Thewlis is great as a deadbeat poetic character, full of existential musings. Had to laugh at the prophetic scene where he says he wants to be a werewolf [eleven years later he plays Professer Lupin in the Harry Potter movies].

Naked's probably my favourite Leigh film. It's grim and it's grimy. It's often accused of being quite mysogenistic and that's true but it's certainly not portraying that as a good thing anymore than, say, Nil by Mouth did. With all that, you'd think that the film would be depressing but Johnny is so darkly funny in his motor mouth ravings and quick fire comebacks that you forgive the fairly hopeless setting. He's not a character you'll be rooting for as he's also a manipulative and troubled person as well as being a rapist but I don't think the film tries to make you believe he's a monster either, more a highly intelligent guy whose various personality disorders seem to be about the only thing holding his mind together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Neil McCauleys Cooler Brother

I haven't seen Naked in years. Mention should be made of Katrin Cartlidge, playing the troubled flatmate of Johnny's ex, who died way too young. She always gives a great performance; check her out in Leigh's Career Girls, where she plays a sort of female Johhny (for the flashback scenes, at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

I haven't seen Naked in years. Mention should be made of Katrin Cartlidge, playing the troubled flatmate of Johnny's ex, who died way too young. She always gives a great performance; check her out in Leigh's Career Girls, where she plays a sort of female Johhny (for the flashback scenes, at least).

Muzz Bron'eee, muzz Bron'ee!

Mark Benton had a good turn in that one as well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Not very high brow but I watched "How to Train Your Dragon" on RTÉ tonight. Loved it. Good story line, good characters, great animation, very funny both silly kids humour and some more subtle laughs, bit emotional at times too :o. One of the better animated films from recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Loopers.

a 94% rating with the critics.

Nonsense. A one (hugely obvious) sentence tale of morality, with a 147 minute build up.

fooking disgraceful

I DVR'd a few films off film4 during their recent "British Connection" season. Got around to watching The Scouting Book for Boys today.

Basically two young kids live on a caravan park and are best friends. She finds out she has to go to live with her dad so she runs away. He's helping her stay hidden but then some secrets come out and it takes a dark turn. The "secret" is pretty obvious and doesn't take that long to figure it out and things do start to get a bit dark, but then it gets even darker!
    I'm really not sure if I liked this or not. The two main characters I found really unlikable, first her and then him, but as it went on I thought maybe I'm not really supposed to like them? The actor that plays David is the kid from all the This is England films. He barely speaks in this and most of his lines are mumbled, I don't know if that was an acting choice or if he's just not very good?

It's worth a watch anyway, very nicely shot. All in all I'd give it 3.5 caravan's out of a possible 5 caravans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Not very high brow but I watched "How to Train Your Dragon" on RTÉ tonight. Loved it. Good story line, good characters, great animation, very funny both silly kids humour and some more subtle laughs, bit emotional at times too :o. One of the better animated films from recent years.

I can't sing that movies praises enough, fantastic film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Loopers.

a 94% rating with the critics.

Nonsense. A one (hugely obvious) sentence tale of morality, with a 147 minute build up.

fooking disgraceful
    huh, did you see a director's cut or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Kind of interesting this one, saw it in an empty cinema this afternoon. It's a rom-com, sort of, but with a twist in that the two main characters are dealing with a form of mental illness.

The first third or so was annoying. Bradley Cooper's character is simply unlikable. Things pick up the more that his love interest, Jennifer Lawrence, is in it. It has some nice moments. The end of the dance competition is a joy, watch out for it. It is complex in ways, and far more interesting than your run of the middle romantic comedy. And Jennifer Lawrence is simply stunning, for me she is mesmerising, the film revolves around her.

That said, given that the two leads are supposed to be dealing with mental issues, it all resolves itself a little too easily. The ending is inevitable, but a cop out, and smooths over what shouldn't be smoothed over. Still, worth a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

fisgon wrote: »
    Kind of interesting this one, saw it in an empty cinema this afternoon. It's a rom-com, sort of, but with a twist in that the two main characters are dealing with a form of mental illness.

The first third or so was annoying. Bradley Cooper's character is simply unlikable. Things pick up the more that his love interest, Jennifer Lawrence, is in it. It has some nice moments. The end of the dance competition is a joy, watch out for it. It is complex in ways, and far more interesting than your run of the middle romantic comedy. And Jennifer Lawrence is simply stunning, for me she is mesmerising, the film revolves around her.

That said, given that the two leads are supposed to be dealing with mental issues, it all resolves itself a little too easily. The ending is inevitable, but a cop out, and smooths over what shouldn't be smoothed over. Still, worth a watch.
    What's the name of the film

fisgon wrote: »

All the trailers I've seen for this one have had me thinking "I bet I'd like this if Bradly Cooper wasn't in it". Although it may just be the character that you don't like rather than the actor himself. I agree about Lawrence, she's one of those actresses that commands your attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

What's the name of the film

It's at the top of the post, in bold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

it wasnt showing up on my phone, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭MacBoogerBalls

it wasnt showing up on my phone, sorry.
    Seems to be an issue with the touch site.
    You want to report it to dev team?
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056732038?page=16#post_81938749

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Lady and the Tramp: A true Disney classic that is just beautifully done, now I love a lot of computer animation films but sometimes traditional animation can be just as good if not even more stunning looking on film :).

Its a really hearfelt story that I think is timeless and I just love how throughout the film the emphasis the majority of time is on the dogs only showing shots of people above the knee when it has something to add to the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Watched Red Lights last night. Robert De Niro's latest addition to his mediocre catalogue of recent times.

It stars De Niro, Cillian Murphy, Sigourney Weaver and is a mystic v science thriller. De Niro plays a man who is famous on the psychic circuit for his apparent genuine abilities, comes out of retirement after years to do more shows. Murphy and Weaver are scientists who spend a good chunk of their time debunking said "frauds".

It was okay, but nothing great - kinda the same quality as DeNiro's previous films for the last decade or so.

Score: Meh out of 10 (Meh is 6)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"Lord of the Rings" Trilogy. What can I say, truly epic stuff and I return to my box set regularly - more than I can say of other DVDs in my collection. If you haven't got the boxed set, get it my precious! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

The extended versions of course. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭splashthecash

"Lord of the Rings" Trilogy. What can I say, truly epic stuff and I return to my box set regularly - more than I can say of other DVDs in my collection. If you haven't got the boxed set, get it my precious! :D

Im about halfway through a run of the extended editions...mid way in the Two Towers. Great films.

However, the CGI at places is very noticable (I realize though that the films are now close to 10 years old) so my desire to upgrade to blu-ray isnt as strong....does anyone have the bluray of these films and if so, is it worth it??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Jack and Jill Ah my fricking eyes can not unsee what has already been seen, now I wasnt expecting this film to be good by any stretch of the imagination but I am of the belief that I will watch any film first to garner my own opinion of it regardless of what Ive read or heard.

And well this is a shocking film I honestly dont think it even drew a half smile from me once, as for Al Pacino ill never bea able to look at him the same again his career just sunk to an all time low.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Karate-Robo Zaborgar

Pitch-perfect satire and affectionate homage of cheesy Japanese superhero TV shows from the 60s/70s (lovingly based on an actual show, but plenty of DNA from the classic likes of Toei Spiderman and Kamen Rider has carried over). Bar the inevitable rough edges, it's just a shower of mad brilliance from beginning to end. Don't think. Just watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Resident Evil Retribution

I pressed play with the idea of "take it as it is... its a mindless sci fi/action movie" - I even had a fun beers on me at the time ... and it was still crap.

If you hated the slow motion scenes in the last movie? well theres more of them and they are every few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

fun beers on me at the time ... and it was still crap.

Wow...it's crap even with fun beers. :eek: Must be really rubbish. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Meanwhile, as far as what I've watched recently - Just sat down with my father and watched "The Omen" (Remake) which was on Film 4 tonight - About my third time seeing it so far and remains one of the few actual solid 'remakes' out there, decent film all-round, quite like Liev Shreiber and Thewlis in general, nice to see them in core roles seeing as they both typically tend to have side-roles rather than leading main characters.

EDIT:
    Suprised to note that the film in general was negatively received - I mean sure, it sticks as close to the original as possible with just a few more modern day methods of seperation from the old original but I never thought it was a bad film. *shrug*

I actually thought it was better than the original and an excellent movie at that. It oozed atmosphere.

I too dont really get all the negativity. Mayby it is because I thought original was OK but nothing outstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

North Sea Hijack - 1979

Had not seen this since its ITV Christmas (I think) premier about a million years ago, enjoyed it much more this time, hilariously knowing at times. Splendid straight faced farce from Sir Rog as Rufus Excalibur "that's all" ffolkes, freelance ex special services type who's list of character traits was clearly dreamt up for a laugh. James Mason, Tony Perkins and Michael Parks are all game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Only watched this recently too. Remembered it from my childhood.

Still enjoyable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement