Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The Book Of Life

Animated film produced by Guillermo del Toro. It's a love story wrapped up in a sort of Mexican folk tale. Two young boys, Joaquin and Manolo, are in love with the same girl, Maria. The rulers of the two after lives, The Land of the Remembered and The Land of the Forgotten, make a bet on which boy Maria will eventually chose to marry. Xibalba (Land of the Forgotten) chooses Joaquin and cheats quite a bit to make sure his guy wins. Without giving too much else away, Manolo ends up having to travel through both after lives to get back to Maria and all the while Joaquin is busy trying to protect their town from banditos.

The design of the film is really nice, it stands out from the likes of Pixar or Dreamworks and the story is really strong too. I found some of the musical choices hilarious, in a good way, and Channing Tatum is a ridiculously good voice actor with most of the laughs coming from his character, Joaquin.

There's a nice message in there too if you're watching with kids although it is kind of laid on a bit thick at the end, I suppose that's to make sure kids get it. Also, the one problem I had with the whole thing was the choice of Ice Cube to voice The Candlemaker, it just felt very out of place with the other voices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

EDEN (2014)

Caught this at Cineworld at the weekend, Directed by Mia Hansen-Love (wife of Oliver Assayas) based on her older brothers life as a DJ in the 90's and 00's. Paul, a teenager in the underground scene of early-nineties Paris, forms a DJ collective with his friends and together they plunge into the nightlife of sex, drugs, and endless music. That's pretty much it, this isn't a film full of twists or turns. Just pretty much 20 years in the life of a DJ's up and downs, we see him go through relationships (one with Greta Gerwig, in basically a 10 minute role at best) Money troubles and drug addiction and comes out of it on the otherside. The Music full of classic Dance house classic's from the 90's are great and the nightclub scenes are great. I loved the Daft Punk stuff, especially
    The scene at the houseparty when they play DA Funk for the first time is a standout
    and also the fact they can't get into any parties cause their names ain't on the list is pretty funny. They are presented like mysterious figures who come and go without a word.

It's a long film, even at 2hrs 10mins it feels like 3 hours and it's split into two parts. It's a film that has split many down the middle, some think its pretentious twaddle about people taking drugs and sleeping around. While others think its one of the best of the year. I fall into the second camp, I do think it could have been cut down for pace but the performance of Félix de Givry as Paul was good and Pauline Etienne as his probably most serious relationship is really good. Well worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Django Unchained - Loved it a lot. It is a bit too long but I love the way Tarantino tells a story and structures dialogue

It should have ended
    When Waltz and DiCaprio were knocked off, the shoot out in the house should have been the last big set piece and with Django saving his wife and riding off into the night
    instead we got Tarantino doing a bad Aussie accent and some other stuff. Mark Kermode is right about Tarantino on one thing, he need to edit his films of fat cause its a failing I think that's creeped into his work after Kill Bill volume 1. But Django Unchained is his best film since Kill Bill 1 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fanta c

Watched Southpaw last night, great film alright.
    It's one of those films that you always know how it's going to end (like titanic) but it's still a great watch. Jake Gyllenhall does a great job in it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Looper007 wrote: »
    It should have ended
    When Waltz and DiCaprio were knocked off, the shoot out in the house should have been the last big set piece and with Django saving his wife and riding off into the night
    instead we got Tarantino doing a bad Aussie accent and some other stuff. Mark Kermode is right about Tarantino on one thing, he need to edit his films of fat cause its a failing I think that's creeped into his work after Kill Bill volume 1. But Django Unchained is his best film since Kill Bill 1 for me.

I found Django bloated and self-indulgent in its theatrical release, and I've read somewhere that this is in part because Tarantino decided to stop working withnthe (very good) editor who used to help wrestle his films into shape.

Having said that, I've seen a draft of a fanedit version that cuts the running time almost in half and uses a non-linear structure that made it far better. I wouldn't rewatch the original but I'd gladly watch that fanedit version once it's finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

Fysh wrote: »
    I found Django bloated and self-indulgent in its theatrical release, and I've read somewhere that this is in part because Tarantino decided to stop working withnthe (very good) editor who used to help wrestle his films into shape.

Having said that, I've seen a draft of a fanedit version that cuts the running time almost in half and uses a non-linear structure that made it far better. I wouldn't rewatch the original but I'd gladly watch that fanedit version once it's finished.

Sally Menke, who edited most (if not all) of Mr T's early films, died in 2010.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I watched Mr Jones on Netflix yesterday. What a waste of time. An intetesting premise and some nice, considered montage segments can't cover for a script that too often veers into Idiot Ball Territory, frustrating and inconsistent use of a "found footage" approach and indecision on the narrative style being used. On the plus side, there were a couple of genuinely creepy shots (usually diminished by lazy use of "scary" sound effects or scoring) and some of the prop design was very nicely done. In fact, when it wasn't descending into a visually incoherent mess the nightmare sequence at the end had some nice moments too. But I can't really recommend this to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Couple I've watched recently:

Southpaw (2015)

Enjoyed it more than most on boards it would seem. It is a fairly nuts and bolts boxing movie but Gyllenhall adds some levity and the relationship with his daughter is developed more than one would expect. Decent viewing for a Friday night but not gonna change the world or anything. 7/10

Ant-Man (2015)

Wouldn't classify myself as a Marvel Universe fan as such. I do like the Avengers and Iron Man movies but have no interest in Captain America and haven't watched the Thor movies. I felt I was going to be quite underwhelmed by this one, particularly after Edgar Wright was removed as director. I must say though I was pleasantly surprised. Paul Rudd does well in the main role and Douglas is very watchable as always. Michael Pena was great as well, there's a couple of hilarious sequences involving his character. I would love to know how Wright would have made the movie but to be fair Peyton Reed has done a good job. I'd look forward to a sequel as well as an inevitable appearance of Ant-Man in a future Avengers movie. 8/10

Accidental Love (2008, or 2014 or something)

It was more out of curiosity I hunted this one down. For anyone that doesn't know it was made by David O Russell in 2008 and stars Jake Gyllenhall, Jessica Biel, James Marsden, Catherine Keener, James Brolin and a few other familiar faces. It was shut down due to financial problems along with other issues. Eventually they filmed the final couple of scenes after Russell had disowned the project and it was released earlier this year.
    Has to be one of the most bizarre films I've seen. Really awful, it feels like it was edited together five minutes before the premiere by stapling different bits of the film together. It has some weirdly quirky music playing right the way through which just adds to the mess. If you told me all these stars got together to purposely make a terrible movie as some form of modern art I would believe you. Still though, I won't fault Jake, he actually still throws in a half decent performance as the young congressman who finds himself way out of his depth on capitol hill. 1/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Godfather Part II

Good film, but sorry just like the 1st it's overrated ... I don't get the 9.2, and 9.1 ratings they get on imdB , 7/10 solid film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

the_monkey wrote: »
    Godfather Part II

Good film, but sorry just like the 1st it's overrated ... I don't get the 9.2, and 9.1 ratings they get on imdB , 7/10 solid film.

You're a terrible human being

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Dark Was The Night

Above average creature feature starring the underrated Kevin Durand as a small town sheriff, who has to put his personal grief to one side when a mysterious animal starts terrorising the locals. At times very effective, but also very silly in parts (especially the underwhelming ending). Still, it's far more worthy than the anything done by the Asylum and their ilk.

They are good films, just I don't think they are amazing ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Enemy

Very odd, deliberately confusing film about a man who finds out he has a doppelganger and tracks him down. I was struggling while watching it to figure out what exactly was going on. The film seems to present scenes not in chronological order which only adds to the confusion. Then again, the scenes might have been in order, I really don’t know.

After reading multiple theories on the film, they all seem to make sense so it’s one of those films where you make up your own mind about what happened and you’re probably right.

There’s lots of spider imagery throughout which gives it an unsettling air and there’s a really nightmarish scene at the end.

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Enemy

Very odd, deliberately confusing film about a man who finds out he has a doppelganger and tracks him down. I was struggling while watching it to figure out what exactly was going on. The film seems to present scenes not in chronological order which only adds to the confusion. Then again, the scenes might have been in order, I really don’t know.

After reading multiple theories on the film, they all seem to make sense so it’s one of those films where you make up your own mind about what happened and you’re probably right.

There’s lots of spider imagery throughout which gives it an unsettling air and there’s a really nightmarish scene at the end.

Terrible terrible film .

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

Terrible terrible film .

Why is it terrible?

fruvai wrote: »
    Why is it terrible?

Just found it boring, and a totally sh*te ending.

Just my opinion though.

Oh, I watched Big Trouble in Little China (1986) aswell there recently .. what a classic - I hear they are doing a remake .. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Enemy

That last scene left me petrified to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

GreNoLi wrote: »
    That last scene left me petrified to say the least.
    Somebody audibly shrieked when I went to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,821 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

49th Parreallel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/49th_Parallel_%28film%29

continuing my old good films watching (while on exercise bike edition)

i didn't expect this to be so good, I had heard it was a propaganda film by the British (to get the America's into WW2) but it was quite entertaining/interesting, I wass so surprised at the quirkey humour at the start, (the hunter winking at the soldier)

it starts off a german sub attacking ships near Canada and goes from there, one the best films I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I watched "49th Parallel" a while back on YouTube and really enjoyed it too.

• Advertisement

e_e wrote: »
    Somebody audibly shrieked when I went to see it.

That pisses me off, When I went to see Interstellar some hysterical woman screamed at that Dr Mann scene ... they should be taken aside and just slapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Saw the Neverending Story at the Lighthouse on Saturday night. So much fun. Had never seen it before on the big screen.
    It was loud though

Godfather Part II
    :eek:
    God forbid s/he likes the third part.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

That pisses me off, When I went to see Interstellar some hysterical woman screamed at that Dr Mann scene ... they should be taken aside and just slapped.
    Why? If a scene is designed to frighten people you can't argue with people responding so, besides it was like 3 seconds from the end. Hardly gonna turn around and say "You ruined the movie for me. How dare you!" :pac:

I'd rather be with an audience that responds to the film in an engaged way than one that's looking at their phones and running off to the toilet every few minutes tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I think its really funny when someone screams in the cinema. :):)
    or sometimes when someone has a really funny laugh in the cinema as well.

Or when I went to see the titanic and there was this big group of 12 year olds and they were all like woooooooo when the sex scene came on. hahah

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Can someone remind me what the "Dr Mann" scene was?

I cannot remember any scream scenes in 'Interstellar'.

Don't forget to spoiler that muddafukka!

The one with the Bourne-again actor

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Eh?

What happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

fin12 wrote: »
    I think its really funny when someone screams in the cinema. :):)
    or sometimes when someone has a really funny laugh in the cinema as well.

Or when I went to see the titanic and there was this big group of 12 year olds and they were all like woooooooo when the sex scene came on. hahah

I remember years ago I went to the cinema with my Dad, half-way through the movie he drifted off to sleep ........ then he woke up with a start (during a particularly loud scene) and screamed out at the top of his lungs "WILL YOU LOWER THAT F**KING TELEVISION DOWN!!!

Everybody in the cinema sat stunned for about 15 seconds then burst into hysterics ......... that was the last time I ever went to the cinema with my Dad.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Eh?

What happened?

Can't remember, but he played Dr Mann.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I remember years ago I went to the cinema with my Dad, half-way through the movie he drifted off to sleep ........ then he woke up with a start (during a particularly loud scene) and screamed out at the top of his lungs "WILL YOU LOWER THAT F**KING TELEVISION DOWN!!!

Everybody in the cinema sat stunned for about 15 seconds then burst into hysterics ......... that was the last time I ever went to the cinema with my Dad.

haha so funny actually when I went to see the 5th Harry potter film, there was a man up the front after falling asleep and he was snoring as well, I wouldn't blame him though the 5th one is the worst Harry potter film. :):)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement