Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Looper007 wrote: »
    No Country for Old Men (2007)

The film that won them the best Film and best Director awards at the Oscars (the only time I think it went to the wrong film, There Will Be Blood should have won both) but that doesn't take away from one of Coen's more entertaining films, with one of the greatest performances in Javier Bardem's Anton Chigurh. Josh Brolin delivered his greatest performance too in this film
    still love they didn't show you his death in the shootout, that takes some guts not to show that
    . Tommy Lee Jones was also excellent and his speech at the end to his former partner was a thing of beauty. But this film based on Cormac McCarthy's novel still has the touch of Coen's in it especially in the scene with Chigurh and the old man shop owner when he asks him to flip a coin in which he either kills him or lets him live. Not the Coen's best film but still up there with their best.

Really? :confused: I think the Academy get it wrong more often than they get it right to be honest ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Don't know how anyone could dislike 'No Country for Old Men'.

It's the Coen's best as far as I'm concerned. :confused:

It's worth watching for Javier Bardem's creepy performance alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Tony EH wrote: »
    Don't know how anyone could dislike 'No Country for Old Men'.

It's the Coen's best as far as I'm concerned. :confused:

It's worth watching for Javier Bardem's creepy performance alone.

I remember when leaving the cinema after viewing NCFOM for the first time, a large number of the audience were saying "that was shyte".

I think a big part of why some people dont like it is because there is no big pay off at the end with a massive multi person shoot out.

Meh, different strokes and all that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I think No Country For Old Men is the only Coen Brothers film I've managed to get through without checking the clock every five minutes or pausing it and wandering off to do something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

yeah the coens dont really do it for me, fargo is probably the best film ive seen by them, and at that it wouldnt be high on my watchlist, the series last year was outstanding though,

it really is just different stroke for different folks, i would watch anything that say fincher or tarantino make, they make the odd one i dont like and thats fine, but the coens i find consistently let me down, all their films get great praise and i always say i wont watch, but in the end i cave, and am yet again left disappointed,

but anyway, i watched Love and Mercy earlier in the week, i missed it in cinema a few months back, and while i think they could have done better with cusack as the older brian wilson it was still a great film, id highly recommend seeing it,

• Advertisement

I remember when leaving the cinema after viewing NCFOM for the first time, a large number of the audience were saying "that was shyte".

I think a big part of why some people dont like it is because there is no big pay off at the end with a massive multi person shoot out.

Meh, different strokes and all that.

I thought the end was perfect
    Bardem just buggering off and Jones' monologue
    . I sorta can't imagine it ending any different.

I wanna watch the bloody film now and it's time for bed.

:mad:

I think No Country For Old Men is the only Coen Brothers film I've managed to get through without checking the clock every five minutes or pausing it and wandering off to do something else.
    don ramo wrote: »
    yeah the coens dont really do it for me, fargo is probably the best film ive seen by them, and at that it wouldnt be high on my watchlist,

Yeh, I have a bit of love/hate relationship with the Coen's too. There's some pictures of theirs that are great, 'No Country For Old Men', 'Miller's Crossing', 'Barton Fink' or 'Fargo'. Although I couldn't stand 'Fargo' (or 'The Big Lebowski') for ages.

Then there are some that I can't abide, 'Raising Arizona', 'Oh Brother, Where Art Thou' or that awful remake of 'The Ladykillers'.

They have fantastic highs and head scratching lows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭gucci

Tony EH wrote: »
    Yeh, I have a bit of love/hate relationship with the Coen's too. There's some pictures of theirs that are great, 'No Country For Old Men', 'Miller's Crossing', 'Barton Fink' or 'Fargo'. Although I couldn't stand 'Fargo' (or 'The Big Lebowski') for ages.

Then there are some that I can't abide, 'Raising Arizona', 'Oh Brother, Where Art Thou' or that awful remake of 'The Ladykillers'.

They have fantastic highs and head scratching lows.

Has nobody any love for a bit of Hudsucker Proxy?? One of my favourites
    You know, for kids
    I just love the whole caperish old style antics of the whole thing and Paul Newman is brilliant in it.

'The Hudsucker Proxy' is one of those mid range Coen films. It's interesting and enjoyable, but it leaves me sort of unsatisfied at the end.

That being said, I've seen it about 4 or 5 times and I think Jennifer Jason Leigh is great in it. But, I'd watch her in pretty much anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bikeresearcher

Charles Durning's performance in the Hudsucker Proxy was wonderful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

The last scene in No Country for Old Men kills me, I'm welling up here thinking about it.

Wet Hot American Summer: Netflix did a follow up series on this recently, adding the likes of Michael Cera, Jason Schwartzman, John Hamm, Chris Pine and Kristen Wiig to a cast that already included Paul Rudd, Bradley Cooper, Amy Poehler, Elizabeth Banks and Janeane Garofalo.

Not hard to see why people were so willing to be involved. It's 'dumb' humour of the highest order, very intelligently and tightly written and fantastically cast and performed. It's generally riffing on the type of kids/teens movies that used to slide out of the US every morning after its third cup of coffee for most of the eighties -and which I as a nineties kid was basically raised on- and while it does indulge in some pretty direct meta humour about that at times (
    after a softball coach gives his team a pep talk: "So I say, when those anonymously evil campers from Tiger Claw get here, we give it our best shot, and we try to come from behind at the last minute...with some weird trick play that we made up and we win the game." somebody points out that it's "pretty well worn territory" and everyone just agrees to abandon that subplot
    ) it doesn't just languish there and goes for much weirder jokes.

It's a super high joke-per-minute rate, and inevitably some things, and some characters, work better than others, but honestly I genuinely laughed out loud pretty fcuking often. Paul Rudd is fantastic, and Amy Poehler's comic persona (tightly wound, overreactive, pratfalling) was seemingly pretty well fully formed even in 2001*. Also strange to see one of Bradley Cooper's earliest on screen performances involving a
    pretty explicit and sensual gay love scene that's more remarkable for being pre-Brokeback Mountain

Anyways, that's way too long a review, basically I really liked it, I can very much see why it wouldn't be to everyone's taste though

*that kind of sounds like I hate her, I don't. I love her and I'll fight anyone who doesn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Double (2013) Dir Richard Ayoade

Dark in all regards character comedy about a man, Simon James and and his other self -James Simon in an alternative "future past" environment. Whatever about the book (Dostoyevsky) the film is all about the sound and vision really. The main look is based in post WW2 Britain with even less sunlight (that is too say none at all) layered with technology and style cues from each era since then. The lighting, design and set dressing is first rate.

The cast is a strange mix of American, Aussie and British with the US/Aussie leads being in the "wrong" place but I suppose that's all part of the feeling of dislocation that Ayoade who co-scripted wanted to convey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Charles Durning's performance in the Hudsucker Proxy was wonderful.

I can't forget the immortal line in O Brother Where art thou from Charles Durning "I'm not here to make a record you stupid ass cracker" :pac:.

Hudsucker proxy is the rare sight of Coen brothers making a family film and they do a good job at it even if it's weird out there film at times.

It seems on here Coen brothers split people down the middle, for me they are still some of the best filmmakers who films are must see on the first day of release.

I'm real surprised at the hate Big Lebowski got in the thread about great films people hate on here. Just questions my belief in humanity when I read the hate for that film :pac:. Still my favourite film from them.

The Double (2013) Dir Richard Ayoade

Dark in all regards character comedy about a man, Simon James and and his other self -James Simon in an alternative "future past" environment. Whatever about the book (Dostoyevsky) the film is all about the sound and vision really. The main look is based in post WW2 Britain with even less sunlight (that is too say none at all) layered with technology and style cues from each era since then. The lighting, design and set dressing is first rate.

The cast is a strange mix of American, Aussie and British with the US/Aussie leads being in the "wrong" place but I suppose that's all part of the feeling of dislocation that Ayoade who co-scripted wanted to convey.

Loved this movie and still do even if it's basically a little to in love with Terry Gilliam's Brazil and French New Wave, something Ayoade needs to get away in the next film he does. It's a pretty downbeat film but it has it's comedic moments, still Jessie Eissenberg's best performance to date and really underrated when it was released. Although I think Submarine is Ayoade's best film to date.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Left Behind

This was frustrating. To begin with, the way the people were brought together, along with the religious and anti-religious sentiment, was pretty awful. Who has a philosophical debate in an airport? Is this and the rest of it attempt to crank out some Life Lessons? 30 minutes in and things shift gear. Is it aliens, technology, a weapon, a message? Then we're back to Jesus. For shame, Nicholas Cage. Abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Well, going to see a Nicolas Cage film and expecting anything more than abysmal means you haven't been tracking his eh..."career".
    I know the guy had property debts and money issues galore but surely he could find a 3 year old child or a monkey to vet his scripts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I was expecting it to be awful, owing to his tax bill, etc. It's on Netflix, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I was expecting it to be awful, owing to his tax bill, etc. It's on Netflix, btw.

Fair enough - and plenty of other actors have belittled themselves for cash but not on a decades long losing streak like Cage. We all know Michael Caine, Robert De Niro and many others have showed up for work having studied the cheque and glanced at the script but Cage is turning his name into a byline for crap.

There is that famous quote from Caine about the house Jaws 4 built.

What's the last Cage film you watched?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

There is that famous quote from Caine about the house Jaws 4 built.

What's the last Cage film you watched?

Actually the last Nicolas Cage film I saw was very good, It was seeking justice I think.

and sure that film season of the witch is very good and the frozen ground and the sorcerers apprentice isn't bad either.

• Advertisement

Manglehorn Al Pacino's latest in a line of smaller movies. This one is not really as enjoyable or interesting as Danny Collins, mainly because his character is pretty depressing. Its basically about a guy who regrets letting go a woman, and revels in his own misery. A good performance, but the movie won't set you alight.

Airport 77 Quite entertaining, and seeing Jack Lemmon in a stronger more forceful role was interesting. A luxury airbus gets hijacked and ends up at the bottom of the sea with water coming in. Some good stunts that weren't made on an adobe acrobat suite which was refreshing. A bit on the predictable side but enjoyable all the same.

Watched 'Airport 77' and 'Airport 75' recently myself. I forgot just how entertaining those pictures were, if ridiculous. The scenario for the later film being particularly so. But they're terribly watchable.

Mind you, perhaps their age gives them a certain pass. If they were made today, with today's "stars", I'd probably be scoffing at them from my high horse.

Maybe there's an element of nostalgia involved. 'Airport 75' was on tele nearly every six months when I was a kid. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

San Andreas.

A magnificent disaster mammary, I mean movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Nick Cages's best performance in recent years is Joe. Not many people have seen it but its a very good movie. Also stars Tye Sheridan who's destined for great things, imo.

hefferboi wrote: »
    Nick Cages's best performance in recent years is Joe. Not many people have seen it but its a very good movie. Also stars Tye Sheridan who's destined for great things, imo.

Now that's a great film, Cage is brilliant but the film belongs to the late Gary Poulter as Tye Sheridan murdering father. He was scary as hell. It's a bleak watch but Cage is excellent and really shows if he puts his mind to it and wasn't so Money loving that he be one of the best actors around but alas.

Just Watched Martin McDonagh's Seven Psychopaths (2012), a film that suffered on release cause it had to follow the excellent In Bruges. It's a film that gets better with repeated viewing, it has career best performances from Sam Rockwell and Woody Harrelson. Christopher Walken is funny and heartbreaking too. Colin Farrell shows once again if the script is right he's one of the best actors around. Abbie Cornish and Olga Kurylenko are wasted as it's pretty much a male driven film. Nice cameo from Tom Waits. Unlike In Bruges, it does lose itself here and there but the trio of Rockwell, Harrelson and Farrell keeps things on track. A underrated gem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Batman Begins

Amazing, I never get tired of those Nolan Batman films,
    those last lines :

"I never thanked you"....
    "And you'll never have to"

Then the credits ... just amazing ending to an amazing film, I think it's probably the best of the 3 (I'll probably be shot for saying this).

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭magicmoves

Black Cat,White Cat.

Brilliant film full of excitement and laughter. A great director too.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118843/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Sunshine by Danny Boyle (Swizz Netfilx).

One of those movies where you realise twenty minutes before the end that you've seen it before and you still don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 IvanRakitic

wtf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,307 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Everest is technically very impressive and offers a visual feast worthy of 3D IMAX (a rarity I must say). To its credit it avoids the usual big budget thriller clichés but its sombre realism makes for difficult viewing at times. Well worth going to see in IMAX as smaller screens will do it ever less justice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement