Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

ziedth wrote: »
    Watched Mission Impossible:Ghost Recon today. Solid enough as they always are in the franchise. Thought the previous one was much better. Tom Cruise really does well for his age in all fairness. Fine for a hungover kind of a day but there are better films out there in the same vein.

6/10 for me.

Unwatchable muck and you deserve 6/10 for sitting through it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

fin12 wrote: »
    where did you watch it? or did you get it on dvd? Id like to watch that documentary
    It's out now.

There was only ever one "Mission Impossible" worth watching - the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Going to start into the Star Wars franchise tonight. The only one I've seen was The Phantom Menace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Watched Tomorrowland. Looked amazing and a great idea done too heavyhandedly.

We are your friends is worth a watch too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

hefferboi wrote: »
    Going to start into the Star Wars franchise tonight. The only one I've seen was The Phantom Menace.

Watch IV,V and VI. That's Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi. All you need to see. The back story to Darth Vadar only makes sense when you've seen the big guy in action. And tell Jabba the cheque is in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

Not bad, but felt more like a kooky comedy the more it went on. The villain was shíte and cartoonish (Him flickering his eyelid when he was angry was funny), Sean Harris didn't have much to go with and his character felt like he should've belonged more in a BBC crime drama.

A lot more CGI than I expected considering there was quite a good amount of practical stunts in there. The motorbike scene had great speed and energy to it but I couldn't help noticing how odd all the cars and trucks looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Watch IV,V and VI. That's Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi. All you need to see. The back story to Darth Vadar only makes sense when you've seen the big guy in action. And tell Jabba the cheque is in the post.

Never seen a Star Wars movie in my life. They can't be that good :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

They single handedly changed how films were made/marketed (for better or worse), made fans of, literally, millions upon millions of people around the entire world and made household names of most of the characters, even the Ewoks, who aren't mentioned by name once in the entire series.

They're that good.*

*Original trilogy of course.

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Never seen a Star Wars movie in my life. They can't be that good :confused:

The Star Wars movies are essential viewing as otherwise you won't be able to understand the Buzz Lightyear vs the Evil Emperor Zurg scene in "Toy Story 2". :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Del.Monte wrote: »
    The Star Wars movies are essential viewing as otherwise you won't be able to understand the Buzz Lightyear vs the Evil Emperor Zurg scene in "Toy Story 2". :D

Jasus you'll think Im trolling but I haven't seen Toy Story either. What have I been doing with my life.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Jasus you'll think Im trolling but I haven't seen Toy Story either. What have I been doing with my life.....

If you have Netflix, all three Toystory films are on it. I haven't seen star wars either and dont intend on watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

Speaking of never seeing movies, last night I watched my first mad max - fury road. Having never seen mad max I was fairly blown away by the madness of it all. Really enjoyed it and will watch the previous three.

Tonight I went out too see Brooklyn. Good movie, my wife was crying from start to finish. Good performances from most involved although some of the Irish accents were a little suspect. Never thought that horrible young fella from the place beyond the pines could turn out to be likeable.

Very much looking forward to the new Star Wars.

budgemook wrote: »
    Speaking of never seeing movies, last night I watched my first mad max - fury road. Having never seen mad max I was fairly blown away by the madness of it all. Really enjoyed it and will watch the previous three.

Tonight I went out too see Brooklyn. Good movie, my wife was crying from start to finish. Good performances from most involved although some of the Irish accents were a little suspect. Never thought that horrible young fella from the place beyond the pines could turn out to be likeable.

Very much looking forward to the new Star Wars.

Ya I really want to see Brooklyn. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Watched Star Wars IV last night. I can tell why its got such a fan base. Its a blockbuster movie before its time. I was shocked at the high level of cgi and visuals for the year it was made and it definitely stands up to the test of time.

Mark Hamill's acting was shocking bad, though.

The Empire strikes back tonight now.

budgemook wrote: »

It's nothing like the other films, which are going to be, quite frankly, a let down for you probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Star Wars might be historically more important but I'd say the general consensus is a hell of a lot more positive on the Toy Story trilogy than the original Star Wars trilogy tbh*. You're veering into Simpsons levels of universal appraisal with the Toy Story films.
    So, eh, f*ck Star Wars and go watch them instead! :D

* Yes, I'm aware they've more reviews and higher ratings on the IMDb than the Toy Story films, but a site like that is gonna skew that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Star Wars is a trilogy that needs watching just for cultural references. People can start bringing Star Wars references into political debates (Dick Cheney=Darth Vadar), nerd alerts: "May the Fourth Be with You".... :rolleyes: I have seen debates in Legal Discussion descend into Yoda speak.
    So apart from being entertaining popcorn fare, they have entered mass culture in the same way that people know Shakespeare quotes without giving Ian McKellan sleepless nights.

Amy
    Pretty sure I sat down to hate-watch it and it was pretty much ticking all the boxes I expected it to initially, but it wound up being pretty good overall. How it focused on the media, all her obligations, addressing particular things and people which certainly didn't help her out without laying into anything in particular was all quite deftly handled.
    No clue why we needed to hear so much of what Tony Bennett had to say about everything though, he seems to pop up in a lot of things and never has anything of note to add, "lovely girl", "great voice", "it's a difficult industry" ...he's basically used as the equivalent of a dentist in a Listerine ad being the certified expert to confirm hypotheses.

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
    Really fun, bit too much Simon Pegg, but yeah, really fun! Felt somewhat like it was trying to be part of the series than any of the other films have tried to, in particular got strong vibes of the first film off it.
    ..speaking of the first one, are we at the point now where everyone can look back on it and acknowledge it as being a bit great? The absolutely ridiculous plot is fine for its purpose, it's all about the set pieces and there's some f*cking great ones in it. Something about the whole style of it has aged incredibly well too.

Another truly dreadful Sci-Fi offering from Netflix last night.

The Signal (2014)

One of those movies that you keep watching against your better judgement - in case something actually happens.
    Avoid this pile of parrot droppings at all costs. 0/10

Do yourself a favour and just watch this trailer instead. :D

• Advertisement

Trainwreck
    Bit of a mess but pretty good! John Cena was a good bit of fun and not overused, Bill Hader is likeable in almost everything ...think Amy Schumer's probably capable of writing a better film and being a better lead though.
    LeBron was in it way too much and didn't impress me at all (they gave him some decent lines and he was clearly game for it, though ...which is more than I can say for Michael Jordan in Space Jam), the intervention scene was a pointless Apatow this-is-funny-because-famous-people-are-playing-weird-versions-of-themselves mess, Ezra Miller's character didn't fit at all and the wrap up with him was tone deaf altogether...

Stephanie Daley
    Been on my watchlist forever. Starring Tilda Swinton, written and directed by a woman, focusing on an unwanted teenage pregnancy / infanticide case, pretty good reviews... the exact kind of thing that grabs my attention but I find pretty hard to find a time to watch.
    First off, I was pretty appalled by the video quality and a bit weary of how the subject matter felt like it was going to be handled. For a film shot in 2006 with Tilda Swinton, a lot, but weirdly not all, of the footage felt incredibly like an early mumblecore film at points (much better sound but the shots were edited together in a jerky manner and it felt like a low-res digital shoot too). The performances gradually won me over. Everything builds up throughout, climaxing with an incredibly harrowing childbirth scene near the end.

It felt like a film with something incredible at its core which no one had quite figured out how to draw out of the material perfectly by the time they made it to shooting, but everyone involved fully believed in its potential and gave it their all... Christ, I dunno, the whole thing is somewhat convoluted, at the moment I think it was a really good film and those choices were justified ...but I'm going to have to dwell over it for ages. If anyone has seen it and didn't 100% hate it, please let me know what you thought!

As an asides, it's a bit shocking Amber Tamblyn hasn't done anything at all of note since cos she's great in this.

At last I struck gold on Netflix.

"Harry Brown" (2009)

Michael-Caine-Harry-Brown-001.jpg

Pensioner Harry Brown (Michael Caine) takes on the scumbags on an English Council Estate when his pal is murdered. Charles Bronson eat your heart out. :D10/10

Has Michael Caine ever been in a poor movie - save for the original "Italian Job"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

"Harry Brown" (2009)

Pensioner Harry Brown (Michael Caine) takes on the scumbags on an English Council Estate when his pal is murdered. Charles Bronson eat your heart out. :D10/10

Has Michael Caine ever been in a poor movie
    - save for the original "Italian Job"?

No ....... unless you include The Swarm, Ashanti, Beyond The Poseidon Adventure, The Island, Jaws The Revenge and On Deadly Ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

"Harry Brown" (2009)

Has Michael Caine ever been in a poor movie - save for the original "Italian Job"?

Jaws: The Revenge :pac:
    I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,700 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

david75 wrote: »
    Just watched the Amy Winehouse doco, Amy..

man..heavy stuff. Lotta scumbag vampire leeches around her most especially her junkie boyfriend.

I watched it too. So scary. Her father and her boyfriend were both scum

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

Dempsey wrote: »
    Jaws: The Revenge :pac:

:D

I wouldn't call The Italian Job terrible; it's passable entertainment. It's better than The Hand, The Island (the 1980s one, not the more recent one) Blame it on Rio, The Swarm, and the remake of Sleuth.

Note: Pressed the wrong button here, it would seem. Meant to reply to another post.

"Harry Brown" (2009)

Ya it's a good film, I saw it when it came out, I just found it too dark and depressing, dont think I'l watch it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Bone Tomahawk

Worst film I have sen in a long time , how it good good reviews on RTs and IMDB is beyond me

You're joking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Tony EH wrote: »
    You're joking.

what film is that ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement