Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Creed

Honestly, you'd be hard pushed to do a better modern reboot/sequel for the rocky franchise (the daddy issues stuff coupled with rockys guilt being a very clever device to justify how they'd click so readily) . there were points where it was a bit of a cringey slog, you're dealing with a very weird protagonist all things considered, but it picked it's points to cash in on the goodwill of the franchise incredibly well.

There's something of a tribute to sage stallone in it which seems to cover some real world sentiment of Stallone's that I found extremely sincere and sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

The Revenant. It was a grim ordeal to sit through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

The Revenant

Jesus !! BRUTAL !

If Leonardo Di Caprio doesn't get his Oscar for this, I don't know what the man needs to do ..

Amazing stuff ... tough tough to watch in parts tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

The Revenant

6/10

It's ok. Thought Birdman was a far better film though. In Birdman the theme is the plot, and it's woven together neatly with the cinematography and performances. In this the theme is the cinematography, which is at its best in the large battle scenes and the bear. Problem is that these are in the first half of the film, by the time you reach the revenge theme it's poorly developed so is hard to care, and the best of the cinematography has already happened by then. Then all you have is Leo grunting for over an hour. Hardy stole the film tbh.

The Revenant

6/10

It's ok. Thought Birdman was a far better film though. In Birdman the theme is the plot, and it's woven together neatly with the cinematography and performances. In this the theme is the cinematography, which is at its best in the large battle scenes and the bear. Problem is that these are in the first half of the film, by the time you reach the revenge theme it's poorly developed so is hard to care, and the best of the cinematography has already happened by then. Then all you have is Leo grunting for over an hour. Hardy stole the film tbh.
    My god , it's amazing how opinions differ , I thought bird man was terrible - good acting and would have been a decent play - but awful overrated as a film and no where near deserved best film

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

My god , it's amazing how opinions differ , I thought bird man was terrible - good acting and would have been a decent play - but awful overrated as a film and no where near deserved best film

Birdman's one of those films where, on a detached abstract level, I know it's a good film, and I can see why people love it. But the exact reasons people love it are why I think it's an indulgent, gimmicky snoozefest. Took me three goes to get to the end, fell asleep twice.

Birdman's biggest problem is that it's a comedy written by a guy who hasn't shown the tiniest inkling of any comedic sensibilities, the guy who wrote laugh riots such as Babel and 21 Grams.
    The gimmick is pretty good, the soundtrack's great, the cinematography's great, the cast are all game but it's attempts at fun, whimsy or anything approaching wit are so strained that you'd nearly fail to even notice them, a real slog. Some absolutely atrocious dialogue at points too.

The Switch
    This is the first Jennifer Aniston film I've seen in lord knows how long. Was surprised by how bad she was in it, I feel like she used to have some kind of clear charisma that could wind up being put to good use in something sometime, but now I dunno.

Silver Lining's Playbook

De Niro was in this a lot more than I remembered, he's probably my favourite thing about the film. S'okay, at times it feels like it could make a leap into being really good but it never does.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Took me three goes to get to the end, fell asleep twice.

Hyperbole, I know, but I think you might have just been tired.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Spellbound

I remember this coming out around the same time as Bowling For Columbine. It's good little documentary about 8 kids who take part in the 1999 US National Spelling Bee. You might be holding your breath due to some of the words near the end. Great spirit amongst the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭appledrop

The Revenant- 0/10. One of the worse films I have ever sat through. I will never get those 3 hours back!!!!!!!!! Full of blood & guts & just crap. I hope Leo gets the bloody Oscar so he can go back to making his normal films which I usually love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Triple 9

I saw this last night in a screening for Unlimited members at Cineworld Dublin.
    I found it rather messy. The main story isn't too bad but there are a couple of subplots that supposedly lead to the main story which felt rather awkward and the editing didn't help make them feel part of the process.
    There are some good shots and the feeling of the various neighbors of Atlanta is rather good, cinematography balances nicely between light and shadow.
    Another issue is that the characters are rather unlikeable so from point I could care less what happened to them. Aaron Paul seem to be on screen completely randomly and I would like to know what on earth was going through Kate Winslet's mind when she decided to give a go to this insignificant character.
    Hardcore fans of the genre might enjoy it a bit more, the rest could wait for a release in dvd/streaming services.

appledrop wrote: »
    The Revenant- 0/10. One of the worse films I have ever sat through. I will never get those 3 hours back!!!!!!!!! Full of blood & guts & just crap. I hope Leo gets the bloody Oscar so he can go back to making his normal films which I usually love.

damn!!!

Surely for the cinematography and music it deserves a 2/10 ??

Come on - a STRONG 2 !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭appledrop

Ok in fairness the cinematography was good in parts so I suppose I could upgrade it to a 2 :D. However I didn't go to the cinema to watch scenery that I could see on the National Geographic or a nature programme. I went to watch a film with a decent storyline. I suppose there was so much build up about the film I was really looking forward to it and felt so cheated by it.

I hated the bloody music especially at the end!!!!!! I came out with a thumping headache after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Starship Troopers

Love this film and it's cheesiness..........even if Dizzy should've been the one who lived to the end, not Denise Richard's character who was a bit of a bastard to Rico.

Verhoeven, his trademark OTT violence, Michael Ironside, Basil Poledouris, solid mix of practical + CGI effects (which 20 years later, a lot of scenes still look great)..............ingredients to keep me happy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Vacation

Terrible, just such a poor movie. Has a decent lead man in Ed Helmes, some of the stuff was just comedy 101. It honestly baffles me to think what is going through people's minds when they are making something as poor as this.

Sisters

Not really into these "Ladette" movies. Few laughs but nothing great. Lost it's way in last quarter, when gets caught between being a comedy or a drama. Has the usual movie drinking peculiarity of excessive drinking but lead character seems very sober during the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Zoolander 2 in the cinema, but, only because I arrived too late to watch Spotlight. I should start by saying I loved the original (such a guilty pleasure), and the pre-marketing campaign posters and teasers have been very good; so I had hoped this could be that rare sequel that's not dreadful. I was terribly, terribly wrong. It's just awful. It's hard to put into words just how bad it is. It's lazy, clichéd, poorly written, forced, stupid and patently unfunny - that's a start I guess, and I say this as a fan of goof-ball comedies? Save for Penelope Cruz looking smoking hot in glasses (I never thought she was all that before this) it has no redeeming features whatsoever. I honestly didn't laugh once. I barely raised a smirk. 1/10; which, if I'm not mistaken, is the lowest score I've ever given a movie on here. Avoid at all costs. Don't let your curiosity get the better of you. Don't fall into the "it can't be that bad, can it?" trap - it can and it does. I didn't watch Anchorman 2 as I knew it would be awful. I should have known better on this. I blame myself.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Thought for a second you were reviewing a film called "1/10" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

e_e wrote: »
    Thought for a second you were reviewing a film called "1/10" :pac:

I'd give 1/10 8/10 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

The Fear of 13

A documentary of one man's story about life on death row and how he ended up there. Told by the man himself, his way of recounting his story is just brilliant. I loved this. Best documentary I've seen in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Creed 3/5
    The Big Short 3/5
    The Force Awakens 4/5
    Room 4/5
    The Revenant 4/5
    Spotlight 3/5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone see spotlight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

fin12 wrote: »
    Anyone see spotlight?
    Yes, it's superb. Very subtle in its approach while at the same time entirely scathing in its criticism of the subject matter. An excellent study on society, especially any society steeped in Catholic church influence and control. A movie that should be shown in secondary school classrooms throughout the country. As regards the Oscars, I don't know if it should win Best Picture as I haven't seen all of the nominees, but I do know it shouldn't lose out to The Revenant.

8.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Canadel wrote: »
    Yes, it's superb. Very subtle in its approach while at the same time entirely scathing in its criticism of the subject matter. An excellent study on society, especially any society steeped in Catholic church influence and control. A movie that should be shown in secondary school classrooms throughout the country. As regards the Oscars, I don't know if it should win Best Picture as I haven't seen all of the nominees, but I do know it shouldn't lose out to The Revenant.

8.5/10

Thanks, il make sure I go see it this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Heist 2001 Written and Directed by David Mamet.

Efficient tale of a gold bullion robbery and the machinations that surround the gang and the robbery itself. Gene Hackman could do these films in his sleep and indeed he has in the past. Always good value as a rule, and the film itself is commendable old school in its handling of the genre elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Any film they stopped '12 years to make' from winning deserves its place in history. I also didn't read it as comedy, I thought it was basically an internal drama in a troubled guy's mind. I just think it has the build quality of the Revenant with a better wholeness and packaged more tightly.

Innaritu has directly said that he made a comedy because all his previous films were heavy dramas. From the very core of its conception, it was a comedy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

8.5/10

I've not seen Spotlight, but I 100% agree with the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

I loved The Revenant. A treat to watch and didn't seem anything like its running time. Reading about the efforts they went to and the directors stubbornness for the sake of his art just added to it for me.

Spotlight was okay. Nothing special really. Ruffallo's hammy over acting was distracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

budgemook wrote: »
    I loved The Revenant. A treat to watch and didn't seem anything like its running time. Reading about the efforts they went to and the directors stubbornness for the sake of his art just added to it for me.
    It's got to the stage where I genuinely think a movie surrounding the filming of the Revenant would have made a far more interesting story and spectacle than the movie that was actually made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

It's got to the stage where I genuinely think a movie surrounding the filming of the Revenant would have made a far more interesting story and spectacle than the movie that was actually made.

I don't know about that. Plenty of directors like to do their movies a bit differently.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement