Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,189 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Really not understanding some people's problem with 'The Revenant'. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

I can't ever remember so many good movies been released within such a short period as have come on stream in the last few weeks. Creed, Joy, Room, The big Short, Spotlight, ( I'm afraid I must pass on "The Revenent"). Even just a few weeks earlier we had Brooklyn, and Bridge of Spies. A really strong period. Just hope it continues :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I can't ever remember so many good movies been released within such a short period as have come on stream in the last few weeks. Creed, Joy, Room, The big Short, Spotlight, ( I'm afraid I must pass on "The Revenent"). Even just a few weeks earlier we had Brooklyn, and Bridge of Spies. A really strong period. Just hope it continues :)

Eh.... this happens every year between October and January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Trumbo

The only thing I knew about this before I went into it was that it was about the Hollywood Blacklist.

I didnt realise Dalton Trumbo wrote the screenplay for Exodus, The Brave One, Spartacus and Roman Holiday (winning Oscars for Best Screenplay for the last two (under assumed names) while being blacklisted)

Brian Cranston is excellent as Trumbo and is deserving of his Oscar Nomination. Clever use of original footage with inserts of the actors in Trumbo portraying the parts in the movies. Diane Lane is good as Trumbos wife and Elle Fanning very nearly steals the show as Trumbos eldest daughter.

I think Leo will win the Oscar (even though I havent seen The Revenant, and have no interest in doing so) but Cranston will come a very close second. Paul Dano would have won it for Love and Mercy if he'd been nominated but thats another nights debate.....

marwelie wrote: »
    Trumbo

The only thing I knew about this before I went into it was that it was about the Hollywood Blacklist.

I didnt realise Dalton Trumbo wrote the screenplay for Exodus, The Brave One, Spartacus and Roman Holiday (winning Oscars for Best Screenplay for the last two (under assumed names) while being blacklisted)

Brian Cranston is excellent as Trumbo and is deserving of his Oscar Nomination. Clever use of original footage with inserts of the actors in Trumbo portraying the parts in the movies. Diane Lane is good as Trumbos wife and Elle Fanning very nearly steals the show as Trumbos eldest daughter.

I think Leo will win the Oscar (even though I havent seen The Revenant, and have no interest in doing so) but Cranston will come a very close second. Paul Dano would have won it for Love and Mercy if he'd been nominated but thats another nights debate.....

Shame on you, Will Smith should be winning for the sake of it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Good films being made or good films being easily available to watch for free? :rolleyes:

The better films are usually released at this time of year for sure, but this year has been way ahead of previous years.

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Good films being made or good films being easily available to watch for free? :rolleyes:

:) I always go to the cinema, unfortunately I have to pay in :(

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

In 10 years all but 2 of those will be remembered I imagine.

We watched welcome to leith last night , it's a documentary about a small town in North Dekota (population 24) who have some neo nazi / white supremacists move in.

I hadn't heard about the events before , guess it wasn't news here (nobody died) . It's worth a look but nothing out of this world. The only thing that really shocked me was that many of these groups can hide behind the 1st amendment there, there were one or two people featured who actually scared me as they were way less vocal and less obviously crazy compared to the focus of the film Cobb, and struck me as being far more intelligent and dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Tony EH wrote: »
    Really not understanding some people's problem with 'The Revenant'. :confused:

Opinions, man.

I personally found it an absolute chore to get through whereas I loved The Hateful 8 and thought the near 3 hours of that just zipped by.

*shrug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

imo the problem with The Revenant is that it's an 80 minute revenge thriller trapped in the body of 3 hours of arthouse pondering. It's not lean enough to be thrilling or deep and thoughtful enough to be emotionally/intellectually engaging. It's just a pretty cool technical exercise for me and little else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I'm no fan of that art house sh1te but I thought The Revenant was very good. Genuinely surprised at the amount of dislike for it. I liked it so much I watched it 2 days in a row :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Watched Maze Runner The Scorch Trials.

Worst movie I've watched so far this year. By far. Spent the whole movie like:
    2604c8c350d537bb08322a3ea7a94a0fcf8606b56e39ba1f62301224aa417e84.jpg

e_e wrote: »
    imo the problem with The Revenant is that it's an 80 minute revenge thriller trapped in the body of 3 hours of arthouse pondering. It's not lean enough to be thrilling or deep and thoughtful enough to be emotionally/intellectually engaging. It's just a pretty cool technical exercise for me and little else.

But what did people think it was going to be, before they went in?

I pretty much knew bugger all about it, before I watched it, but I certainly knew what "type" of picture it was and how limited the story would be.

Still genuinely befuddled at some of the negative reactions, a lot of which has been binary bullshit like "worse film evar! 0/10". :pac: or that there was "no story". :rolleyes:

I was absolutely delighted at how the film played out. Sure, it could have done with some cuts here and there, but on the whole it was great.

Beats the crap out of 'Birdman' every day of the week as far as I'm concerned and that film got a ridiculous amount of gush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Still genuinely befuddled at some of the negative reactions, a lot of which has been binary bullshit like "worse film evar! 0/10". :pac: or that there was "no story". :rolleyes:
    I think literally every popular film here gets called "worst film ever" at some point though. ;)

I do ****ing hate the "no story" criticism because the greatest films rarely have some deep, complex and intricate plots. I'd say the issue with Revenant is not lack of plot but that the stuff in place of plot isn't really interesting to me.
    Beats the crap out of 'Birdman' every day of the week as far as I'm concerned and that film got a ridiculous amount of gush.
    Nah to me Birdman was superior in every single way and actually backed up its virtuoso direction with some substance. That was a film that had some fun and creativity to it, bucking the suffocating self-seriousness of Inarritu's other work that also crept into The Revenant too. Birdman is his best film by a mile imo.

PS I try not to go into any movie with ridiculously high expectations and pre-conceived notions. I was in the first few rows of Savoy screen 1 too so it's not like I didn't get bang for my buck with the visuals or have my experience distracted too.

All subjective of course though. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Friday nights have become 'movie nights' to share with my youngest son - he gets to choose...:eek: so far I've been lucky: "Minions", "Penguins of Madagascar", "Bean: The Ultimate Disaster Movie" and tonight MIB.3. At least it gets us both offline for an hour or more and then there's the mandatory crisps, chocolate..:D

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Friday nights have become 'movie nights' to share with my youngest son - he gets to choose...:eek: so far I've been lucky: "Minions", "Penguins of Madagascar", "Bean: The Ultimate Disaster Movie" and tonight MIB.3. At least it gets us both offline for an hour or more and then there's the mandatory crisps, chocolate..:D

How old is he? You should nudge him towards Megamind, How To Train Your Dragon, The Book of Life and/or The Iron Giant.

lucky bastard, mines just about old enough to know pepa pig and dora live in the black box in the sitting room, and that if I press the button they will appear :(

How old is he? You should nudge him towards Megamind, How To Train Your Dragon, The Book of Life and/or The Iron Giant.

12 but he's a gentle soul except when on "Team Fortress". His older brother watched the Lord of the Rings trilogy (12years+ rating) with me when he was only seven - yikes I'm some parent. :o

• Advertisement

12 but he's a gentle soul except when on "Team Fortress". His older brother watched the Lord of the Rings trilogy (12years+ rating) with me when he was only seven - yikes I'm some parent. :o

How To Train Your Dragon is all about gentle souls, if he hasn't seen it, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Myself and my brother watched Terminator, Exorcist, Full Metal Jacket, Natural Born Killers,
    Independence Day and Aliens with my Dad in the mid to late 90's.

I was 9 in 96 and my brother was 7. I didn't sleep for a few weeks after Exorcist and Poltergeist.

I remember my brother bursting into tears when Arnie killed himself at the end of Terminator 2.

I still find the Exorcist scary not to mention Alien and the sequels. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Just out of Spotlight, on the phone but will post a fuller review tomorrow, but an easy 8/10.

I think literally every popular film here gets called "worst film ever" at some point though. ;)

I do ****ing hate the "no story" criticism because the greatest films rarely have some deep, complex and intricate plots. I'd say the issue with Revenant is not lack of plot but that the stuff in place of plot isn't really interesting to me.

Agreed. 'Jaws' has probably one of the weakest stories I've ever seen in a screenplay, built from a pretty hokey novel too.

But it's one of the greatest films of the 1970's (which is really saying a lot) and generally loved by film fans the world over.

As for 'The Revenant', I was captivated from beginning to end. It was a delight to see a picture that wore its brutality on its sleeve. Sure, story isn't up to much (revenge stories generally aren't) and the "spiritual" scenes could have been trimmed without losing anything (and perhaps gaining something), but I found it one of the best cinema experiences I've had in a long time. Maybe I'll feel different about in the small screen, who knows.
    Nah to me Birdman was superior in every single way and actually backed up its virtuoso direction with some substance.

BOOOOO! Get out.

Just as we were doing so well. :P
    That was a film that had some fun and creativity to it, bucking the suffocating self-seriousness of Inarritu's other work that also crept into The Revenant too. Birdman is his best film by a mile imo.

PS I try not to go into any movie with ridiculously high expectations and pre-conceived notions. I was in the first few rows of Savoy screen 1 too so it's not like I didn't get bang for my buck with the visuals or have my experience distracted too.

All subjective of course though. :P

Of course.

'Birdman' was enjoyable enough, but filled with a "look at me" type atmosphere and came across as being a little bit too in love with itself. In saying that, I liked it and it's a picture I'll probably return to at some point (as I have with most of Inarritu's films), but on the whole it left me a little underwhelmed on first watch, especially at the end and speaking of the end, I thought that was just terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Heckler

The Way Way Back

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1727388/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Great coming of age/teen angst film. Sam Rockwell steals it but the whole cast were great. The interaction with the mother and her wonky eyed kid was brilliant. Carell playing against type was very good.

Feelgood 10 outta 10 !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films Frantic skim across across the career of Golan and Globus team who were best known for their work under the Cannon name in the 80s. As with the same teams film about Ozploitation the format is loads of talking heads and clips much of which is entertaining but I'd prefer to see them take examples of the subject and use them to explain the company. In this case Lemon Popsicle, Death Wish 2, Breakin', Missing in Action, Runaway Train and Superman IV would have covered the main bases showing how they rose what they did well and then what undid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films Frantic skim across across the career of Golan and Globus team who were best known for their work under the Cannon name in the 80s. As with the same teams film about Ozploitation the format is loads of talking heads and clips much of which is entertaining but I'd prefer to see them take examples of the subject and use them to explain the company. In this case Lemon Popsicle, Death Wish 2, Breakin', Missing in Action, Runaway Train and Superman IV would have covered the main bases showing how they rose what they did well and then what undid them.

And a rating Harry? Recorded it the other night on Film 4 (I think) so it's on my list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd give it 3.5 out of 5. Its obviously of interest to anyone interested in the film biz. Lots of explosions, gore, tits and ass (and glimpses of muff) if that helps! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I watched Black Mass last night and found it very entertaining.

Definitely much better than i thought it would be !!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement