Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I'd give it 3.5 out of 5. Its obviously of interest to anyone interested in the film biz. Lots of explosions, gore, tits and ass (and glimpses of muff) if that helps! :pac:

I gave it 17.5 out of 25 ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

A documentary on filmfour on Friday. Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films.
    Loved it. Very entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

A documentary on filmfour on Friday. Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films.
    Loved it. Very entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Cartel Land a documentary that promised much but delivered very little save for style, which it has in abundance. It tell the story of the Mexican Drug cartels from less frequently heard storytellers: Mexican natives trying to stop the cartels from destroying their towns and US "vigilantes" (though they hate that word) patrolling the Arizona border trying to keep the border intact. It does touch on the contradictions at work in their methods, but it was a missed opportunity not to confront them on this. It works as an interesting companion piece to Sicario, but ultimately for me was more a triumph of style over substance. A disappointing 5/10.

I'll come back to Spotlight when I have more time. Just shattered right now....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Spotlight, good movie, enjoyed, jeez the cinema was packed tonight, all the lovebirds..... I was on my lonesome����

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Spotlight, good movie, enjoyed, jeez the cinema was packed tonight, all the lovebirds..... I was on my lonesome😔😔

Spotlight, from last Friday in the cinema. I assume everyone knows the plot at this stage so I'll not comment on same. Strong performances all round from a stellar cast, including many that rise above the "strong" ranking with Michael Keaton and Liev Schrieber the standouts (I can't really fathom why Mark Ruffalo's performance is judged to be superior to either of those but that's another argument for another day I suppose). Neal Huff's short appearances in the film are also particularly good, IMO; never really noticed him before tbh. The difficulty with such an ensemble cast is that you never really get really deep into any of the characters as you would if the story had one lead, per se. Though it's relatively long at just over 2 hours, it certainly doesn't feel like it. If anything it possibly could have been longer to develop more of the story and characters. It has a very "All The President's Men" feel to it, and that's I guess a good comparison to make and compliment to give. As I said on Friday, 8/10.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

^ I felt it was one of those films where everyone was solid but nobody really stood out. Sum is greater than it's parts kind of thing. I'm surprised it got any acting nominations, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Return to Oz - 1985

Had seen a picture recently of Tik Tok which caused a flood of nostalgia over me so I had to give this a watch, hadn't seen it since I was a kid when it was shown in school one day.

Really enjoyed it and was insanely impressed by a lot of the effects work, had completely forgotten how so much of it was so well implemented. Especially the stop animation which is top-tier stuff and gets a substantial amount of screen time, really impressive given the level of work the animators had to put in.

The movie itself is pretty grim and dark and has a lot of notably bizarre and twisted scenes (The hall of all the heads of women screaming), which is probably why I loved it as a kid :pac: The story is a bit disjointed but the production values and practical work help carry the film and keep it entertaining.

Funnily enough, the only design that was disappointing was the character of Scarecrow, who the film is based around being rescued. All of the other characters have such odd and unique designs and impressive puppetry to them while he's just a guy wearing a nearly lifeless muppet mask and wobbling about like a drunken jester as if his life depended on it.

If you like your 80's fantasy films and ones with chocful of practical effects and odd designs then definitely check this one out.

The 33

Film about the Chilean miners. Didn't find this engaging at all, not an awful film but just felt like it's a type of film that does nothing differently and feels very familiar.

Probably because I know the story so well and the cheese and melodrama is so heavily applied with some odd moments of comedy. It's very cliched with a collection of characters and their tropes you'd nearly expect to see in a 70's disaster movie.

Antonio Banderas was enjoyable as usual, though.

^ I felt it was one of those films where everyone was solid but nobody really stood out. Sum is greater than it's parts kind of thing. I'm surprised it got any acting nominations, to be honest.

Yes, I agree on many levels.

The story is dispersed among so many protagonists that no-one is on screen enough to truly shine (and get awarded for same). That said, how Ruffalo is nominated over Keaton is amazing to me. Schrieber is excellent too, although he's only in it for a few scenes (again diminishing any chance of a nomination). I like the Ray Donovan tv show and his character in Spotlight is so far removed from that he's almost unrecognisable; a nice study in restraint and calmness.

Oh and does anyone do creepy sleazeball as effortlessly as Billy Cudrup? Almost forgot about him, again as he's only in it for a couple of scenes.

Maybe it deserves an ensemble acting award, like the Emmys etc.? I haven't watched or paid attention the Oscars in so long I don't know if they do that?

• Advertisement

I think the SAG awards do an ensemble award and I think Spotlight won it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

A Perfect Day

Stuck this on knowing absolutely nothing about it. Enjoyed it, depressing but also uplifting.

Joy

Wife liked it, thought was alright. Nothing exceptional.

Sicario

Expected more from this. Felt it never really built up into an epic set piece, also some of the characters were just not well thought out.

The Walk

Enjoyable little movie, well worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

While you were sleeping

It was on tv last night and I just caught the start before heading to bed. I ended up watching the whole thing. This kind of disturbs me, as its a romantic comedy and normally when Mrs Tunguska subjects me to such things I end up losing the will to live after 20minutes. But for whatever reason this was pretty fcuking delightful. I think Im in love with Sandra Bullock. I dont know whats happening to me, Im a bit scared, I shouldnt like this movie but it was charming as fook.

tunguska wrote: »
    While you were sleeping

It was on tv last night and I just caught the start before heading to bed. I ended up watching the whole thing. This kind of disturbs me, as its a romantic comedy and normally when Mrs Tunguska subjects me to such things I end up losing the will to live after 20minutes. But for whatever reason this was pretty fcuking delightful. I think Im in love with Sandra Bullock. I dont know whats happening to me, Im a bit scared, I shouldnt like this movie but it was charming as fook.

Romantic films used to be charming as fook, back in the day.

I love While You Were Sleeping although it still bothers me that she didn't pick Joe Jr. He was clearly a catch.

tunguska wrote: »
    While you were sleeping

You're barred.;)

I love While You Were Sleeping although it still bothers me that she didn't pick Joe Jr. He was clearly a catch.

You too tickle.

;)

You too tickle.

;)

joejunior-1429539711.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

You've Got Mail. :cool:

2016 remake would be something along the lines of You Have a New Facebook Message..

Canadel wrote: »
    You've Got Mail. :cool:

2016 remake would be something along the lines of You Have a New Facebook Message..

And she'd know imidiately who it was she was Snapchating with because she'd checked who else was in on the Wattsap group chat....

(Can you tell I only know that these words exist, not what they mean?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

And she'd know imidiately who it was she was Snapchating with because she'd checked who else was in on the Wattsap group chat....

(Can you tell I only know that these words exist, not what they mean?)
    I'm 24 and I've never had a smartphone. I feel like I should be attending some sort of group or service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Casablanca
    So I didn't realise this was on because of Valentine's Day until I stepped foot in the theatre...
    A good deal better than I remembered, fun little film.

Notorious
    Yep, really good. Cary Grant is a fierce big old stiff bore though, isn't he? With his ridiculous chin.

Truffaut/Hitchcock
    Somewhat strained attempt to do a documentary on this book. Became one of those things where it just goes through a directors filmography.
    Weird mix of talking heads, Wes Anderson appeared about twice and had very little to say, Richard Linklater, one of the least visual filmmakers going, is just about the last person I'd think to ask to talk about Hitchcock. Of course Scorsese and Schrader were there too, among others.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    So I liked this just as much as when I was a kid, but watched the whole thing in a totally different light. It's fascinating to see how Spielberg seemed to view himself at the time too (I'm assuming Dreyfuss's character is heavily derived from some personal **** that seems quite fitting for Spielberg). The ending's a bit of a dud and between later Spielberg films and the tons of films that wanted to be it in some way or another, it's probably lost a bit of its punch, but I loved it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Marshland (La isla mínima)

Had this one recommended to me, and it's absolutely brilliant. A serial killer is hunting young women in rural post-Franco Spain. Two cops, with very different political views and history are sent to investigate. It's very rich in atmosphere and tone, with some fantastic performances also. Very similar in tone to the first season of True Detective, so if you liked that you will love this. Highly recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

I Am a Ghost (2012)

How horror should be done, excellent low budget offering, highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

karma_ wrote: »
    Marshland (La isla mínima)

Had this one recommended to me, and it's absolutely brilliant. A serial killer is hunting young women in rural post-Franco Spain. Two cops, with very different political views and history are sent to investigate. It's very rich in atmosphere and tone, with some fantastic performances also. Very similar in tone to the first season of True Detective, so if you liked that you will love this. Highly recommended.

Looks interesting. Will check it out. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Warrior (2011)

Overrated, these sports films where the underdog beats all odds and wins a massive tournament are ten a penny...
    would have been great in 1985, not now tho ... doesn't deserve its 8.2 imDb rating.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Youth - Watching a Paolo Sorrentino is like having a particularly indulgent dessert - what it lacks in substance it more than makes up for in the sheer intoxicating experience. Extravagant, showy and totally over the top, it is nonetheless an absolute pleasure. Matched with a suitably excessive approach to music, Youth is thankfully a sensory treat equal to The Great Beauty.

While this is substantially superior to This Must Br The Place, the English-language isn't always the director's friend. While he has one hell of a capable cast here who all deliver and then some, the script can sometimes overly verbalise what is ably communicated by the aesthetics, and indeed what the likes of Michael Caine are able to say without words. Perhaps the unavoidable disconnect offered by subtitles has merely masked this in the past, but yeah Youth is at its best when letting the form do the talking.

Which, thankfully, is often. For its imperfections (and there's some narrative indulgences too far, not least a bizarre cameo from a real life musician), this is a film easy to get lost in - the amped up emotions, broad themes and lush visuals all working in elegant unison to create a film that is rich with emotion, beauty and nostalgia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Youth - Watching a Paolo Sorrentino is like having a particularly indulgent dessert - what it lacks in substance it more than makes up for in the sheer intoxicating experience. Extravagant, showy and totally over the top, it is nonetheless an absolute pleasure. Matched with a suitably excessive approach to music, Youth is thankfully a sensory treat equal to The Great Beauty.

While this is substantially superior to This Must Br The Place, the English-language isn't always the director's friend. While he has one hell of a capable cast here who all deliver and then some, the script can sometimes overly verbalise what is ably communicated by the aesthetics, and indeed what the likes of Michael Caine are able to say without words. Perhaps the unavoidable disconnect offered by subtitles has merely masked this in the past, but yeah Youth is at its best when letting the form do the talking.

Which, thankfully, is often. For its imperfections (and there's some narrative indulgences too far, not least a bizarre cameo from a real life musician), this is a film easy to get lost in - the amped up emotions, broad themes and lush visuals all working in elegant unison to create a film that is rich with emotion, beauty and nostalgia.

Hmm .. Yes ... is there any nudity in it ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Lone Survivor

I almost went to see this in the cinema. If you don't know, it's about a failed Navy SEAL operation in Afghanistan, codenamed 'Red Wings'.

The film wears its pride on its sleeve, unapologetically. This is apparent in the opening BUDS montage, which is less 'America, **** yeah' as it is 'these guys get stuff done'. It's almost an hour before the first shot is fired. The story unfolds through the flesh and faces of the men involved, and the terrain they encounter. Things inevitably go from bad to worse, including psychologically. The landscape knocks the hell out of them. There's a shortage of Apache helicopters and communications are patchy at best.

Whilst the final portion might seem like typical Hollywood rescue/saving stuff, if you've an aversion to jingoism like me, you needn't particularly worry. As a tribute to those who died, I can't particularly fault it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)

I came across this on Netflix last night. I had only ever seen the new on with Keanu Reeves and If you are trying to choose which one to watch, definitely go with the 1951 version. In fact, forget the new one even exists.

Very good Sci-Fi movie. I wish they would make more movies like this these days that actually are intelligent and have a message, instead of a CGI-blow-up-the-world stuff that's all the rage.

8/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Just finished watching The Martian

I enjoyed more than I thought I would. Must read the book, it's a compelling story and I'd imagine it deals with the Mars based portion of the film better than a few montages can :)

Mildly enjoyable blockbuster with a star studded cast and just enough tension to offset any cheesiness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement