Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

"Telefon" (1977) - Charles Bronson, Lee Remick and Donald Pleasence.

Cold War thriller about a rogue Russian agent who travels to the USA and begins activating sleepers who have been embedded in the community for many years. Still a reasonable production but not in the same league as Bourne and would stand a good remake. 6/10

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone seen the film the finest hours, its in the cinema? Thinking of going seeing it later..... have to kill some time so probably go to the cinema or is the film Triple 9 any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

had 2 13 hour flights on singapore airlines in past week so watched a few movies

martian 8/10
    room 9/10
    self less 2/10
    burnt 6/10
    sicario 8/10

also saw

spotlight 8/10
    star wars 7/10
    revenant 8/10
    big short 8/10

in cinema

lots of great movies around at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Jupiter Ascending (2015) How bad could this film be I asked myself as I sat down to watch it. Very bad is the answer. Mila Kunis as eye candy just about brings it up toa disapointing 2 / 5 from me.

Saw The finest Hours, what a brilliant film and what an amazing story, so glad I went to see it......

• Advertisement

Black Sunday 1977 Adaption of a Thomas Harris novel - the only one i think he wrote other then the hannibal lector books, directed by John Frankenheimer, with Bruce Dern and a few other old familiars. Its about a terrorist group who plan to massacre a stadium full of people using the Goodyear blimp during the Superbowl. Some good set pieces and action scenes, quite tense at times. Dern is charistmatic as always, and plays a disenchanted former prisoner of war who got screwed when he got home, and he teams up with a pro palestinian girl while all the while they are trailed by an Israeli agent.
    Not spectacular but an enjoyable late 70's watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Very prescient film Black Sunday.

Island of Terror 1966 (Terrence Fisher) Small island in the Irish sea is the location for ultra slow moving and not at all frightening monsters that feed on human bones. Pretty awful and slack pace even at about 85 mins. Peter Cushing far too good for this stuff. I only saw it through to the end as I refuse to be beaten by a film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

How To Be Single

Ok ........ so this, being a Chick-Flick Rom-Com, was never going to be my type of movie but the wife wanted to see it and I thought, with the enjoyable to watch Leslie Mann and the amusing enough Rebel Wilson, "how bad can it be!?!".

The most unforgiving aspect of this huge pile of stinking sh1te is the fact that it's just not, in any way whatsoever, funny.
    The audience was mostly groups of women, and a few couples, which I assume is the target demographic so there should have at least a few people laughing ......... but no, dead silence throughout.
    My wife wanted to leave half-way through but I insisted we stay ....... just to punish her for her choice of movie!!

A truly horrific experience ........ if you're thinking of watching it I'd advise you to sit at home and watch Mrs Doubtfire or Free Willy instead ........ yes, it's that bad.

0.5/10

MadDog76 wrote: »
    How To Be Single

Ok ........ so this, being a Chick-Flick Rom-Com, was never going to be my type of movie but the wife wanted to see it and I thought, with the enjoyable to watch Leslie Mann and the amusing enough Rebel Wilson, "how bad can it be!?!".

The most unforgiving aspect of this huge pile of stinking sh1te is the fact that it's just not, in any way whatsoever, funny.
    The audience was mostly groups of women, and a few couples, which I assume is the target demographic so there should have at least a few people laughing ......... but no, dead silence throughout.
    My wife wanted to leave half-way through but I insisted we stay ....... just to punish her for her choice of movie!!

A truly horrific experience ........ if you're thinking of watching it I'd advise you to sit at home and watch Mrs Doubtfire or Free Willy instead ........ yes, it's that bad.

0.5/10

Thanks was thinking of going seeing it, definitely wont now... The finest hours is brilliant, in cinemas now...,

Path to War 2002 Lyndon Johnson HBO Biopic that starts when he wins his first election. He's basically inherited the Vietnam war and has to figure out how to deal with it. He's got advisors on both sides - McNamara telling him he can win and to send troops and other guys telling he it will ruin him and america.
    An all star cast with Michael Gambon playing LBJ brilliantly, Alec Baldwin, Donald Sutherland and a variety of other familiar faces. You feel for LBJ because he seems to be essentially a good guy that got shackled with this horrible war and his whole existence rises and falls with it. Recommended.

Dead Bang 1989 Another HBO movie, a more run of the mill cop drama with Don Johnson in good form as the beaten down cop who is investigating the rise of a white supremacy group after a local murder. Nothing spectacular but some funny scenes especially after he chases down a guy after a heavy nights drinking and pukes on him when he catches him :)

Both directed by Frankenheimer and good Sunday fare!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

How To Be Single

0.5/10

You should make her watch a boys film like 'Where Eagles Dare' or 'Zulu' for doing that you.

You poor thing.

#prayforMadDog

How To Be Single

0.5/10

:D Show her who's the boss - take her to see the Revenant

:D Show her who's the boss - take her to see the Revenant

Why? :rolleyes::rolleyes: r u trying to say the revenent is a mans film? I'm a woman and thought the revenent was brilliant....

Oh deary me, get a funny bone when you're down the shops eh?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Oh deary me, get a funny bone when you're down the shops eh?

Are you trying to imply that all women do is shop?

Oh christ..........:pac:

I'm off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Oh christ..........:pac:

I'm off

TJyqdRc.png

Hate criiiiime!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I bought (yes, physical copy :eek:, I'm that guy) Macbeth (most recent version with Fassbender, Cotillard etc.) on Saturday and sat down to watch it last night. I have never read the play, nor seen a version of it before so I'm pretty ignorant as to the minutiae of the subject matter, bare a skeletal outlay of the story. I got 20mins in when I realised I had missed too much of the dialogue at that point and that I'd have to start again - with subtitles (this on a 7.1 custom system too, never had an issue with this before btw). The problem I realised is not the sound but the accents with the cast being predominantly English, Irish and French and most of the minor roles being Scottish. The Scots you can understand despite heavier accents, the non-Scots you really have to strain to decipher, which takes from the experience. It looks amazing (esp. the fight scene, although it was a little too similar to a Guinness Rugby ad from a few years back) so far though/

I'm going to try again later this week.......hopefully.

How To Be Single

0.5/10

Well I haven't seen it but I doubt it could be worse than Zoolander 2. ;)

Lone Survivor

I almost went to see this in the cinema. If you don't know, it's about a failed Navy SEAL operation in Afghanistan, codenamed 'Red Wings'.

The film wears its pride on its sleeve, unapologetically. This is apparent in the opening BUDS montage, which is less 'America, **** yeah' as it is 'these guys get stuff done'. It's almost an hour before the first shot is fired. The story unfolds through the flesh and faces of the men involved, and the terrain they encounter. Things inevitably go from bad to worse, including psychologically. The landscape knocks the hell out of them. There's a shortage of Apache helicopters and communications are patchy at best.

Whilst the final portion might seem like typical Hollywood rescue/saving stuff, if you've an aversion to jingoism like me, you needn't particularly worry. As a tribute to those who died, I can't particularly fault it.

That training montage at the start is simply brutal.
    As for the movie, it's about as good as a Marky Mark movie gets, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would to be fair. Ben Foster (as usual) was good in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Holy God I saw, admittedly not all of it, a real stinker yesterday,

Never Back Down 2: The Beatdown

Terrible tween MMA fighting film with the most mongoloid actors in the the stupidest of bro fighters kind of roles.

Avoid like the plague. Not even laughably bad, just plain sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

In the Heart of the Sea.(2015)
    Really enjoyed this take of the Moby Dick story. 4/5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

we watched Spotlight the other night, decent, 3/5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

we watched Spotlight the other night, decent, 3/5

Good girl yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Glebee wrote: »
    In the Heart of the Sea.(2015)
    Really enjoyed this take of the Moby Dick story. 4/5

I have this on my list to watch. Bumped to the top now.

I watched the Hateful 8 on Saturday but just couldn't get into it. Quite poor in my opinion :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Finest Hours (2016)

A slick but pretty hollow & bloodless disaster film that almost drowned in its own common decency; not just set in the 1950s (revolving around the true story of an against-all-odds rescue of a sinking tanker off the coast of America), the tone itself was pretty seeped in the period; that Eisenhower-era innocence, where the ordinary Joe & Josephine made the best of things & just soldiered on. Chris Pine even seemed to channel Jimmy Stewart a little, with a nervous, timid demeanour that bellied his determination and strength. Truthfully it made a nice change from the kind of hardened, superhuman stoic that would have been expected in this sort of film & his performance gave the film a lot of heart - even if it sorely lacked in character. Solid turns by Ben Foster and Casey Affleck too, but equally they suffered the same fate: they inhabited the roles but there was little character to give much depth to things.

Spring (2015)

Watched this off the back of some recommendations in the Netflix thread and it's hard to know what to think. The simplistic description would be to say that it was 'like Before Sunset, but with monsters', and for once that sort of glib summary somewhat suffices. It was a film of beautiful, Italian scenery for the leads to amble through; all the while chatting, flirting and having those kind of meaningful conversations I doubt any actual couple has ever had. In between those scenes were ones more akin to a horror film, utilising some decent, practical FX work. If there was one glaring issue was that beyond the two (admittedly likeable) lead characters, the rest of the cast was almost horrendously cliché: an aloof Italian farmer, a drunken boorish Englishman; and a brash, equally drunk American tourist who had to be seen to be believed.

The Raid 2 last night on Blu Ray. Watched the first one a few weeks back and though I enjoyed the non-stop action of that, this is a superior film given the plot and the fuller development of a story (which takes over a number of years rather than the day timing of The Raid). It's more a Gangster/Mob movie than the martial arts dominated predecessor and it tips its head to many Asian/Asian-inspired movies (Infernal Affairs especially, but also Lady Snowblood and Kill Bill amongst others) in many places and to other more Western gangster films in others. The end result is a spectacular visual feast. Yes it has its flaws, but ultimately it delivers in ways most films in this genre fail to do. An 8/10.

Note: Prakoso's wife.......swooooooooon. If she fell for him, I have a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Apocalypto - Still somewhat entertaining but similar to Braveheart, you can see the flaws much more clearly as an adult than when you watched it as a kid. Some great scenes and as interesting a story as a film like this can be I suppose. When you compare it to crap like The Revenant it almost seems a masterpiece, and simultaneously makes you despair for the integrity of the Oscars.

6.5/10

Secret In Their Eyes

It wasn't as good as I'd hoped but it was better than I thought it was going to be ........... it reminded me of those early 90's "whodunnit" mystery thrillers (usually starring Rebecca De Mornay) which I have a nostalgic fondness for so, overall, I enjoyed it.

6.5/10

• Advertisement

The Hateful Eight

I've yet to watch a Tarantino movie that I didn't love and this was no exception ......... it's everything a Tarantino film should be, ie. over-the-top-violence, great characters, fantastic dialogue, dark humour and a story that keeps you guessing throughout ........ highly entertaining, I loved it!

9.5/10

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement