Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Sicario

I really liked this movie but I just felt like I was watching the middle part of a great film, almost like the beginning, and end, were missing for some reason ........ still a really good movie though and I'd highly recommend it.

7.5/10

Bridge Of Spies

Another good, as opposed to great, movie ........ it was typically "I'm being serious" Spielberg stuff which I usually like but this film almost felt at times that it was a made-for-tv movie ............ still enjoyed it though.

7.5/10

Black Mass

Really loved this film!! It's my kinda movie but my expectations were low for some reason ......... Johnny Depp's performance was outstanding, possibly a career best for him. Can't recommend this enough to be honest.

9/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Do we have to guess the Movies mad dog?

True Story

I knew nothing about this movie before watching it so I had zero expectations ....... a good little movie and, despite the title, I didn't realise until the end that it was actually based (loosely it would seem) on a true story ........ kept me entertained throughout.

7/10

• Advertisement

Do we have to guess the Movies mad dog?

Nope, just read the titles Hamster ..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

They get snipped from the notifications. fyi

tricky D wrote: »
    They get snipped from the notifications. fyi

Not sure what you mean? They appear on my screen?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The email notifications we get have the bold bit removed so we've no idea what film you are referring to without having to visit the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Now the embarrassing thing here Is that I am actually looking at the thread and somehow missed the titles. In bold.

Its been a long day...

• Advertisement

Now the embarrassing thing here Is that I am actually looking at the thread and somehow missed the titles. In bold.

Its been a long day...

:D

I've edited them now anyway Hamster so the titles are there twice ....... just for you! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

The titles don't show on the touch site either.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Watched Thirteen Days last night for the first time. Good political drama surrounding the Cuban Missile Crisis. Only thing that annoyed me was Costner's Boston accent!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,905 ✭✭✭✭briany

No Surrender (1985)

A Liverpool nightclub finds that it has accidentally double-booked New Year's Eve to two groups of pensioners - one, a group of Unionist Protestants, and another, a group of Nationalist Catholics. Written by Alan Bleasdale (Boys from the Black Stuff).

Funny, poignant comedy with more going on in it besides the tension arising from the situation described. Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

The Monster Club

Couldn't for the life of me remember the name of this title, only the actual stories. Brought back a lot of fond memories. I love Vincent Price.

A writer of horror stories is invited to a "monster club" by a mysterious old gentleman. There, three gruesome stories are told to him; between each story some musicians play their songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,313 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Always liked the first and last stories, the last one especially, 'Humeghoul'. The musical interludes are especially painful though.

Yup...middle one is filler, it could of been great with a little work. Much darker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Slow West

Beautifully shot with cinematography on a par with Breaking Bad. Tragic. Invoking elements of Jesse James and Eastwood. Best washing line ever committed to film. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

briany wrote: »
    No Surrender (1985)

A Liverpool nightclub finds that it has accidentally double-booked New Year's Eve to two groups of pensioners - one, a group of Unionist Protestants, and another, a group of Nationalist Catholics. Written by Alan Bleasdale (Boys from the Black Stuff).

Funny, poignant comedy with more going on in it besides the tension arising from the situation described. Recommended.

Bleakly hilarious! Not seen it since it came out.
    Sugarlumps wrote: »
    The Monster Club

Couldn't for the life of me remember the name of this title, only the actual stories. Brought back a lot of fond memories. I love Vincent Price.

A writer of horror stories is invited to a "monster club" by a mysterious old gentleman. There, three gruesome stories are told to him; between each story some musicians play their songs.

Another blast from the past, its good fun and I also love Price - perfect balance of good humour and cosy threat. Have you seen The House of Long Shadows which he made shortly after?

Dead of Night 1945 Dir Alberto Cavalcanti, Charles Crichton, Basil Dearden and Robert Hamer.

Ealing portmanteau horror drama - the final story about a ventriloquist and his dummy is the main reason for DoN legend but all the stories have something to offer, though the third which is played for laughs is certainly the weakest. The wraparound climax tops it off perfectly. Michael Redgrave as Maxwell Frere is the star of the show I wondered if like Anthony Hopkins in Magic he learnt ventriloquism or not, that I can't be sure shows how good his performance is!

Douglas Slocombe who died last week was one of the cinematography team.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Out 1: Noli Me Tangere - if you only ever watch one 13 hour film...

Here's the good news: under the false hope that French television would screen his epic, Jacques Rivette edited Out 1 into eight feature length 'episodes' (including my new favourite 'previously on...' segments), which makes the whole thing easier to digest. This is in some ways the antithesis of television storytelling and much more in line with cinematic approaches (particularly the French New Wave), but it's a relief a marathon isn't required.

As for the content? It's a glorious mess of ideas and scenes. It can be daunting and testing - the extended theatre rehearsal scenes in the opening hours feel like Rivette daring the viewer to stick with it - but also a delightfully playful, inventive work. It's full of bizarre and wonderful characters, embarking on their own surreal personal odysseys. It's a New Wave film through and through, full of narrative dead ends and general obfuscation. But by the same extent it abounds with formal ingenuity and substance, and commits to exploring its particularly structural and thematic concerns: from the effects of paranoia to a satire and critique of 60s counter-culture, but perhaps most prominently an exploration of the way we tell and interpret stories.

It's full of humour and compelling characters (Jean Pierre Leaud's mute Colin being particularly fascinating) and the way Rivette slowly but consistently links the initially disparate stories and teases the central mysteries offers a particularly strong hook. The conclusions are by no stretch conventionally satisfying, but they beautifully reflect the chaos, uncertainty and cheekiness at the heart of this unwieldy wonder.

Not so long ago one of the great film maudits, Out 1's liberation is very welcome indeed. For those willing to commit, come prepared for challenges, but also plenty of rewards (you'd probably also be best checking out some less intense Rivette before diving in). If you only ever watch one 13 hour film...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Resolution (2012)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1977895/

Guy forces his friend to go cold turkey for a week in an abandoned house in the woods. Think something along the lines of Funny Games or Cabin in the Woods. It carefully builds suspense and a sense of dread. Very enjoyable meta suspense mystery with a clever, fun script. Don't watch more than the first 30 seconds of the trailer, best not knowing much beforehand. Highly recommend this one. 8.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone see the film secret in their eyes? It's in the cinema now, Julia Roberts is in it.

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Secret In Their Eyes

It wasn't as good as I'd hoped but it was better than I thought it was going to be ........... it reminded me of those early 90's "whodunnit" mystery thrillers (usually starring Rebecca De Mornay) which I have a nostalgic fondness for so, overall, I enjoyed it.

6.5/10
    fin12 wrote: »
    Anyone see the film secret in their eyes? It's in the cinema now, Julia Roberts is in it.

It's ok, entertaining enough ........ don't think I'd bother going to the cinema to see it though.

The original Argentinian version was on BBC2 last night (El secreto de sus ojos) and is a much better version ......... I'd give that version 9.5/10.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Calvary

Didn't like it much. I'm fairly sure I just don't like John Michael McDonagh. I thought The Guard was pretty poor too.

Both films feel like he's aiming for Tarantino in Ireland. I don't like Tarantino much either so maybe that's my problem.

I just felt like he didn't really have that much to say on the issue at hand but seemed to think he had a lot to say. How many times did he need a character to say oh, the church is bad/rich/hypocritical etc. etc. It was about as subtle a sledgehammer. Obviously subtlety isn't what he's going for.

Brendan Gleeson was good though.

I haven't seen Seven Psychopaths yet but I'd be of the opinion that Martin is the talented brother.

Have you seen The House of Long Shadows which he made shortly after

Nope, will give it a whirl tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

La grande bellezza (the great beauty)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2358891/?ref_=nv_sr_6

Pure twaddle.

convoluted nonsense, no plot, too long .

Terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

"Stutterer" (2015) - Oscar Award Winner - Best Live Action Short.

For the day that's in it and it's great to see another Irish writer/director making the breakthrough. Yet again it goes to show what can be achieved on a minimal budget.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Del.Monte wrote: »
    "Stutterer" (2015) - Oscar Award Winner - Best Live Action Short.

For the day that's in it and it's great to see another Irish writer/director making the breakthrough. Yet again it goes to show what can be achieved on a minimal budget.

Watched this myself. Nice little film. Short Film Oscars don't necessarily lead to anything though, which is a shame. If the Irish Film bandwagon keeps rolling now the Awards are over hopefully this guy will benefit from it too. The likes of Abrahamson will be getting offers from all over, it's the little guy the IFB should be looking at now. Not to say they should tell Lenny to pi$$ off is he comes calling, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Their Finest Hours

Went to this saturday night not knowing anything about it or having heard anything in the way of publicity for the film. Have to say, I loved it. Its a straight forward enough story but its done well. The acting all round is pretty good especially Chris Pine who puts in a great performance. Not sure its a "Cinema" kind of movie, more of a film you'd watch at christmas on the tv. But thats not taking anything from it. Very enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Steve Jobs
    A fairly fun Sorkin film is rather awkwardly forced to be a biopic about someone

The End of the Tour
    Four films into his career and James Ponsoldt just keeps getting better. Definitely one of my favourite filmmakers working at this stage. Jason Segel and Jesse Eisenberg are pretty great together. The sort of thing that could've petered on for another hour with very little happening and I'd've still dug it.

Election
    Yep, it's still really good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement