Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

My Dad was visiting at the weekend, took him to see Interstellar in 70MM

It just doesn't get old.

Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Anomalisa

Was disappointed in it. Thought it would be so much better than it was. Loved the animation but the story & characters just did nothing for me. I usually love Kaufman's stuff but this resulted in a shrug of the shoulders and a "is that it?".

3/5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I watched The Mummy (starring Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz).It's one of my favourite films.

Sure it's complete baloney but it's just such an enjoyable film and very funny at times aswell.I just love action adventure films and it's one of those films I could watch and enjoy over and over again.

Under the Skin http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441395/?ref_=nv_sr_6

really enjoyable, not everyones cup of tea but for me it was compelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Fear is the Key (1972) Dir Michael Tuchner

Archetypal 70s Alistair McLean adaptation, with Barry Newman on a revenge mission in the sweaty deep south of the Louisiana coast. In the slew of McLean's this is middling - better than the likes of Bear Island and Caravan to Vaccarès but certainly no Where Eagles Dare or Breakheart Pass.

There is one aspect of the "cunning" plot that actually makes no sense - unless you can believe the massive job skills coincidence. When you twig it as anyone should its hard to take it seriously though the climax is well staged and acted.

Alex Thomson's camera catches the eerie and very flat world that is the gulf coast full of obscure back roads, levees and pontoon structures gluing it all together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Fear is the Key (1972) Dir Michael Tuchner

Archetypal 70s Alistair McLean adaptation, with Barry Newman on a revenge mission in the sweaty deep south of the Louisiana coast. In the slew of McLean's this is middling - better than the likes of Bear Island and Caravan to Vaccarès but certainly no Where Eagles Dare or Breakheart Pass.

There is one aspect of the "cunning" plot that actually makes no sense - unless you can believe the massive job skills coincidence. When you twig it as anyone should its hard to take it seriously though the climax is well staged and acted.

Alex Thomson's camera catches the eerie and very flat world that is the gulf coast full of obscure back roads, levees and pontoon structures gluing it all together.

I remember the final act from when I saw this as a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

My Dad was visiting at the weekend, took him to see Interstellar in 70MM

It just doesn't get old.

Love it.
    It certainly does not.

I watched it for approx the fifteenth time recently (a conservative estimate) and my eyes were welling up with tears, partly from my eye infection but mostly from the emotional impact of the movie.

Simply magnificent. Best movie ever made. Nothing else Nolan has done comes close for me either. Especially Inception, what a load of crap.

Come on Tars! Greatest on screen friendship in cinematic history.

Canadel wrote: »
    It certainly does not.

I watched it for approx the fifteenth time recently (a conservative estimate) and my eyes were welling up with tears, partly from my eye infection but mostly from the emotional impact of the movie.

Simply magnificent. Best movie ever made. Nothing else Nolan has done comes close for me either. Especially Inception, what a load of crap.

Come on Tars! Greatest on screen friendship in cinematic history.

Yep, allthough I have a slight preference for Prestige.

But each time I go see it I worry I could be taking the piss and might not enjoy it .... ha!!!

Goosebumps and hairs on my neck raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Very Bad Things (1998)

A man, soon to be married, goes to Las Vegas with four of his friends for a debauched stag night. While there, terrible events, both accidental and deliberate, take place.
    One of the party accidentally kills a prostitute, and, later, they murder a hotel security man who sees the body. They bury both in the desert.
    They then must cover up, with increasing paranoia and desperation, what happened upon arriving back to their normal lives, wives and jobs. Comedy. Ahem, quite dark comedy.

This was a brilliant film IMO, a couple of plot inconsistencies aside. Great cast featuring, as the leads, John Favreau, Jeremy Piven, Daniel Stern, Christian Slater and Leland Orser. Not to mention also starring Cameron Diaz as the obsessive bride-to-be, although she's more of a supporting character and I've heard the film partially flopped due to it being sold on her involvement, coming off Something about Mary, and audiences expecting a similar tone. Really, really funny film with a lot of bite and exploration of the dark side of human nature, with a fair few unhinged performances. Surprised it only scores 6.3 on IMDB and 30 percent on the aggregate critical reviews there. I loved it. Recommended.

briany wrote: »
    Very Bad Things (1998)

A man, soon to be married, goes to Las Vegas with four of his friends for a debauched stag night. While there, terrible events, both accidental and deliberate, take place.
    One of the party accidentally kills a prostitute, and, later, they murder a hotel security man who sees the body. They bury both in the desert.
    They then must cover up, with increasing paranoia and desperation, what happened upon arriving back to their normal lives, wives and jobs. Comedy. Ahem, quite dark comedy.

This was a brilliant film IMO, a couple of plot inconsistencies aside. Great cast featuring, as the leads, John Favreau, Jeremy Piven, Daniel Stern, Christian Slater and Leland Orser. Not to mention also starring Cameron Diaz as the obsessive bride-to-be, although she's more of a supporting character and I've heard the film partially flopped due to it being sold on her involvement, coming off Something about Mary, and audiences expecting a similar tone. Really, really funny film with a lot of bite and exploration of the dark side of human nature, with a fair few unhinged performances. Surprised it only scores 6.3 on IMDB and 30 percent on the aggregate critical reviews there. I loved it. Recommended.

I remember that being a great comedy - tho a bit dark as you say,
    I wouldn't worry about the imdb rating, comedies tend not to score well there.

• Advertisement

Very Bad Things (1998)

Caught that on tele one night years ago, not knowing anything about it and ended up thinking it was great.

Have to check it out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Very Bad Things (1998)

The idea/plot was stolen from Stag(1997) but Very Bad Things(1998) did a much better job!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stag_(film)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

MadDog76 wrote: »
    The idea/plot was stolen from Stag(1997) but Very Bad Things(1998) did a much better job!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stag_(film)

The Wikipedia page of Very Bad Things says that it's based on a book by an author called Gene Brewer, but nothing in his bibliography corroborates that claim, and it's not a cited fact anyway. So, I don't know if it's a case of being stolen from 'Stag', which I've not seen, or a case of two parties having a similar idea at the same time.

I like dark comedies very much and am wondering how I hadn't heard of Very Bad Things 'til yesterday, as I sift through various movie lists quite often in the hopes of finding good stuff to watch. Funnily, the best stuff always seems to come off random forum recommendations when I'm not even expecting it.

Finally went to see Batman v Superman tonight.

It wasn't that bad.

If they removed 2 characters and certain fight scenes it would have been a very good film.

But even with that it was enjoyable nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Knock Knock.

Another exercise in sadism from Eli Roth. It's a feminist revenge movie and a black comedy in which Keanu Reeves weak male Is seduced by, and then punished for being weak, by 2 sexy young women. All a bit pointless and nasty really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Ant Man
    Not awful! There's enough in there to show both that Edgar Wright's version probably would've been a lot more fun but also that it wouldn't have been amazing all the same. Definitely didn't seem like the film had much of a rewrite after he left the project, at least.

Cape Fear (1992)
    I dunno if it's solely because of the Simpsons episode, but I found this silly as f*ck. One thing I can say for it, is, regardless of his ridiculousness, De Niro does manage to make the character into a thoroughly despicable c*nt.
    Juliette Lewis is terrible in everything, isn't she? Just casting her in a film in the early 90s seems to make whatever film age significantly worse.

Always found it amazing that she had any kind of career at all. Terrible actress, with one of the most irrtating voices that I've ever heard.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Tony EH wrote: »
    Always found it amazing that she had any kind of career at all. Terrible actress, with one of the most irrtating voices that I've ever heard.

She was very good in Pedro Almadovar's Bad Education.

badeducation_wideweb__430x320.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Tony EH wrote: »
    I can absolutely see how she found some kind of appeal with casting directors in the post-grunge era of Daria types, how she got an Oscar nomination is beyond me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Thought the film was good and worth a watch,and that Costner was top notch.A while since I last seen him in a film .
    Having said that ,I would'nt need to see it again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Boy and The Beast

So I'm at this point pretty confident that Mamoru Hosoda is cinema's best kept secret. And I don't mean the best kept secret in the way experimental or arthouse auteurs are well kept secrets, destined to only ever be of interest to niche audiences. No, Hosoda is making these beautiful, lively, intelligent and - most importantly - totally accessible films and yet remains barely known outside Japan. Imagine Pixar's best films were relegated to one-off festival screenings and small DVD/Blu-Ray releases. That's basically what's happening with Hosoda's films - if they were English language, I'd imagine they'd be celebrated far more vocally by critics and audiences alike.

The Boy and The Beast doesn't quite match the heights of Hosoda's previous two masterpieces, Wolf Children and Summer Wars - it suffers a little from an overbusy script. But it is still on a totally different level to pretty much all mainstream animation these days. Visually, it is astounding - some of the most beautiful and articulate images you'll come across in modern animation (it helps that it looks gloriously expensive in a way much modern anime simply does not).

Thematically, it's rich - playing like a sort of companion piece to Wolf Children. That was an exploration of the joys and challenges of motherhood - this moves to fatherhood but, perhaps more interestingly, non-traditional parents and guardians as well. It features some familiar tropes and ideas, but has a tendency to explore them in depth and pushes them beyond the expected 'end point' (what one would imagine would serve as the climax actually proves a segue into the real final act).

Hosoda probes the emotions and themes with genuine conviction, even if the plot sometimes gets muddled due to the layers of lore and 'dual world' conceit at the film's centre. But it is also brilliantly funny, with wonderfully imaginative and directed set pieces dotted throughout. For everything that's generally familiar (and the core story can be reasonably formulaic), it's countered by a fresh or imaginative take on the material. Mostly, however, this is a whipsmart, artfully crafted film that, if there was any justice, would enjoy a much wider audience than it will.

Special mention for Hosoda's second collaboration with composer Masakatsu Takagi after the stunning Wolf Children. The soundtrack manages to perfectly capture the film's action thrills and emotional beats, but at the very same time boasts surprisingly tricky, dense compositions that helps make them much more interesting:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Deadpool: Enjoyable enough ride, the t-rex scene being particularly delightful.

Hail Caesar!: Coens sure know how to make a movie, other filmmakers ruefully utter 'would it were that simple'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Hail Caesar!: Coens sure know how to make a movie, other filmmakers ruefully utter 'would it were that simple'.
    fiennes-large.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Don't Look Now (1973) Dir Nicolas Roeg

Venice in Peril = Peril in Venice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Eye in the sky

This was actually brilliant. Didn't expect such a good movie. Didn't sag for even a second. 5/5

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Finally watched Room this week...

Ooof... like a kick to the chest. Last film to affect me that way was Grave of the Fireflies.

A classic... but one I never want to watch again.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I watched A Monster In Paris on Film 4 earlier.

Animated French film about a giant flea with a beautiful singing voice in Paris in 1910. I kid you not.

It's actually pretty good, very nice to look at and the characters I found very charming. It's pretty simple and there doesn't seem to be any kind of hidden lessons like Pixar do but it's enjoyable all the same.

I assume there was an original French version and this was the dubbed English one. Not sure if there's anything lost in the dubbing. The songs maybe?

Oh and John Lennon's son Julian does the singing voice for the flea.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The Boy and The Beast

So I'm at this point pretty confident that Mamoru Hosoda is cinema's best kept secret. And I don't mean the best kept secret in the way experimental or arthouse auteurs are well kept secrets, destined to only ever be of interest to niche audiences. No, Hosoda is making these beautiful, lively, intelligent and - most importantly - totally accessible films and yet remains barely known outside Japan. Imagine Pixar's best films were relegated to one-off festival screenings and small DVD/Blu-Ray releases. That's basically what's happening with Hosoda's films - if they were English language, I'd imagine they'd be celebrated far more vocally by critics and audiences alike.

The Boy and The Beast doesn't quite match the heights of Hosoda's previous two masterpieces, Wolf Children and Summer Wars - it suffers a little from an overbusy script. But it is still on a totally different level to pretty much all mainstream animation these days. Visually, it is astounding - some of the most beautiful and articulate images you'll come across in modern animation (it helps that it looks gloriously expensive in a way much modern anime simply does not).

Thematically, it's rich - playing like a sort of companion piece to Wolf Children. That was an exploration of the joys and challenges of motherhood - this moves to fatherhood but, perhaps more interestingly, non-traditional parents and guardians as well. It features some familiar tropes and ideas, but has a tendency to explore them in depth and pushes them beyond the expected 'end point' (what one would imagine would serve as the climax actually proves a segue into the real final act).

Hosoda probes the emotions and themes with genuine conviction, even if the plot sometimes gets muddled due to the layers of lore and 'dual world' conceit at the film's centre. But it is also brilliantly funny, with wonderfully imaginative and directed set pieces dotted throughout. For everything that's generally familiar (and the core story can be reasonably formulaic), it's countered by a fresh or imaginative take on the material. Mostly, however, this is a whipsmart, artfully crafted film that, if there was any justice, would enjoy a much wider audience than it will.

Special mention for Hosoda's second collaboration with composer Masakatsu Takagi after the stunning Wolf Children. The soundtrack manages to perfectly capture the film's action thrills and emotional beats, but at the very same time boasts surprisingly tricky, dense compositions that helps make them much more interesting:

Gave that a watch this evening and it's really good, certainly goes in directions I wasn't expecting in the final third. Will keep an eye out for the blu ray release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

tunguska wrote: »
    Eye in the sky

This was actually brilliant. Didn't expect such a good movie. Didn't sag for even a second. 5/5

Have to agree with this. Edge of the seat stuff and leaves you thinking about what is going in in drone warfare.
    **edit Was just thinking some more there about it. What is Alan Rickman's last scene is a real kick in the guts following what we have watched in the film. He is very good (as always) in it and delivers the line of the film with barely controlled rage. Great film.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Saw Dheepan on Saturday and Victoria yesterday. Thought Dheepan was a bit daft to be honest and I found my mind wandering at various points. Don't rate it at all. Victoria on the other hand is a marvel. The film is shot in one take and took three attempts to film. I couldn't get this out of my head as it's over 2 hours long and one mistake by anyone in the production team would have ruined the cut.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement