Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Del.Monte wrote: »
    "Once Upon a Time in America" (1984) - on Netflix.

Starring Robert de Niro and James Woods.

.According to Wiki the director intended it to be released as two three hour long movies, so that probably accounts for the confusing mess which is the cut-down (slightly under four hours) version on Netflix.
    Maybe he did at some point before shooting it, but the actual ~200 minute version is the cut he approved of. The butchered shorter initial commercial release was something like 140 minutes long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Independence Day (1996)

Just shíte, even loads of drink couldn't save it for us. Armageddon is a hokey blockbuster film but I at least have a ball watching that cornball of a film.

Best thing about the film is it's iconic White House shot and the Will Smith + Jeff Goldblum banter. Those 2 need to be in another film together :pac:

The Godfather (1972)

Been so long since I've seen it but it still remains so effortless and gorgeously shot. Can't wait to move onto the sequel next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    McQ (1974)
    John Wayne/John Sturges '70s detective film made in the wake Dirty Harry (it seems Wayne turned down that role and regretted it). Wayne spends most of the film being fed up with the system and goes out on his own to solve some murders. It tries to bring him into the 70's with a score that's ripped off from Pelham 123. He also drives a sports car to match Steve McQueen (including a car chase that feels like it was cut short) but he seems to have trouble getting in and out of it! And most bizarre of all he beds a cokehead informant and then tries to do the same to the grieving widow, but is interrupted at the last second. There was a decent 70's thriller in here, but Wayne was the wrong person for the lead (and too old).

There'e something strangely...um..."charming" about 'McQ'. Damned if I know what it is though. Maybe it's just the 70's.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Independence Day (1996)

Just shíte, even loads of drink couldn't save it for us. Armageddon is a hokey blockbuster film but I at least have a ball watching that cornball of a film.

Best thing about the film is it's iconic White House shot and the Will Smith + Jeff Goldblum banter. Those 2 need to be in another film together :pac:

Unbelievably piss poor picture. I cannot understand why anyone would like it, even in an "ironic" way.

Smith is crap (as he is in everything) and the Fly can't save it either.

Can't believe there's a sequel too. :rolleyes:

Jesus Hollywood...C'MON!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Tony EH wrote: »
    Unbelievably piss poor picture. I cannot understand why anyone would like it, even in an "ironic" way.

Smith is crap (as he is in everything) and the Fly can't save it either.

Can't believe there's a sequel too. :rolleyes:

Jesus Hollywood...C'MON!!!

I see Finding Dory has been kicking it's arse at the US box office.

• Advertisement

I see Finding Dory has been kicking it's arse at the US box office.

Yeh! Go Dory!!!!

We need one of those rocker smilies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Independence Day (1996)

Had you not seen it before? When I seen it as a kid in the cinema, I thought it was brilliant and still have a nostalgic fondness of it, I would say Armageddon is a lot more self aware of its cheese, I'm not sure if that makes it any better. I'm bias though, as I had become a lot more cynical by the time I watched Armageddon.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I am proud to say I have never seen Independence Day or Armageddon (and lots more like them!)...one of the benefits of being a cinema snob...lol. ;)

Now I have watched a fair degree of shoyte, but I've never seen either of the above thankfully!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Had you not seen it before? When I seen it as a kid in the cinema, I thought it was brilliant and still have a nostalgic fondness of it, I would say Armageddon is a lot more self aware of its cheese, I'm not sure if that makes it any better. I'm bias though, as I had become a lot more cynical by the time I watched Armageddon.

I saw the ID the day it came out on rental, was dead excited for it after having watched specials about the film for months but after the big moment of destruction I didn't care a whole lot for the film. Even as a kid.

Nowadays, it does nothing for me......even with the lubrication of drink :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Jimmy's Hall

Had been meaning to watch this for ages and noticed it was about to go off Netflix so I stuck it on tonight.

It's not great. It feels like a watered down version of The Wind That Shakes The Barley.

• Advertisement

So I dug deep into the DVD vaults last night and found this.......Hamlet 2 starring Steve Coogan (as he attempted to break America). I genuinely can't remember if I watched this before, which says something in itself I guess. Coogan does this in an American accent and that in itself is off-putting, and I say this as a massive Coogan fan (Except for the Partridge movie, which was awful). The script is light, the budget is low and the humour is sparse. It does have one funny musical moment, when Coogan and the rest of the cast of the play within the movie sing "Rock Me Sexy Jesus", but that's really it. 4/10.

Trailer:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sb19

the revenant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I did not get one single laugh out of Central Intelligence like not one. Stone faced I was. Not funny, no plot, bad action, bad pop culture references, weird cameos from better comedy actors who I wish had stayed longer. What a mess.

I did not get one single laugh out of Central Intelligence like not one. Stone faced I was. Not funny, no plot, bad action, bad pop culture references, weird cameos from better comedy actors who I wish had stayed longer. What a mess.

I passed on the press screening as I had a strong feeling it would be thus.

I passed on the press screening as I had a strong feeling it would be thus.

The only consolation was that in a reasonably busy screen, no one else was laughing either.

Gods Of Egypt was a rare specimen of a film with not one redeeming quality. Not a single one, and thus it became one of those 'so bad its almost good kinda films'. Comically bad effects, specially when you consider it had a 140 million dollar budget, bad acting, a plot that didn't make sense, deciding to have all the women characters, using the word characters for the women loosely since thats not how the film see's them, let them wear the most revealing clothing possible without being naked. But the best thing was that while the vast majority of the mostly white cast put on what I assume was meant to be an Egyptian accent, Gerard Butler sounded like the most Scottish man in the world for the entire 2 hour ish running time.

The only consolation was that in a reasonably busy screen, no one else was laughing either.

Gods Of Egypt was a rare specimen of a film with not one redeeming quality. Not a single one, and thus it became one of those 'so bad its almost good kinda films'. Comically bad effects, specially when you consider it had a 140 million dollar budget, bad acting, a plot that didn't make sense, deciding to have all the women characters, using the word characters for the women loosely since thats not how the film see's them, let them wear the most revealing clothing possible without being naked. But the best thing was that while the vast majority of the mostly white cast put on what I assume was meant to be an Egyptian accent, Gerard Butler sounded like the most Scottish man in the world for the entire 2 hour ish running time.

I still say Butler's finest work is in Movie 43......
    https://vimeo.com/65256491

Top o the morning to ya laddie.

You're on some roll of shoyte movies Miles! ;)

sb19 wrote: »
    the revenant

How was it? I still haven't gotten around to it, Blu Ray stuck on the shelf looking at me, begging to be opened and watched. I fear disappointment, hence why I haven't opened it yet. :(

You're on some roll of shoyte movies Miles! ;)

Just what's on in the summer! Shame we get mostly ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976) Dir Nic Roeg

Arguably the apotheosis of directors career. A fragmented, kaleidoscopic tale about a man who er fell to earth is a visual and aural feast. As ever with Roeg the story doesn't really matter its about the sensory experience first and foremost. The cast are fine with Bowie's best screen performance plus Rip Torn, Candy Clark and Buck Henry all offering fine performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Green Room:- Just finished watching and thought it was an excellent siege movie and a fitting tribute to Anton Yelcin he will be sorely missed as he was a fantastic actor! Nice to see Patrick Stewart do something you wouldn't expect him to do, it reminded me of Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13! The violence is pretty brutal and realistic! A solid 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

When Marnie Was There

A tender and sad Studio Ghibli tale of a lonely young introvert who befriends a mysterious girl in an old mansion on a summer trip away from the city.

I liked this. Quite touching.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

99 Homes

Started well, good premise for a movie but slowly went downhill. Michael Shannon is great though , probably my favourite actor out there.

Damsels In Distress was really, really funny. Funny to the extent I'm surprised to see it only has a 1/5 rating on netflix. Granted, I can see why it might annoy some people, either you're gonna get on board with it at some point early or not, and I imagine some people might find these characters annoying, but I was on board, I laughed myself silly. I liked the characters, the humour, the dancing, you name it. Highly recommended

'You're not from London. Yes I am, I went to London, and came back. I am from London.'

Damsels In Distress was really, really funny. Funny to the extent I'm surprised to see it only has a 1/5 rating on netflix. Granted, I can see why it might annoy some people, either you're gonna get on board with it at some point early or not, and I imagine some people might find these characters annoying, but I was on board, I laughed myself silly. I liked the characters, the humour, the dancing, you name it. Highly recommended

'You're not from London. Yes I am, I went to London, and came back. I am from London.'

Netflix ratings are not a reflection of what people rated the film but rather what their algorithm thinks you will rate the film based on how you have rated similar films.

Netflix ratings are not a reflection of what people rated the film but rather what their algorithm thinks you will rate the film based on how you have rated similar films.

Oh. I don't think I've rated anything on netflix yet, so thats weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I am proud to say I have never seen Independence Day or Armageddon (and lots more like them!)...one of the benefits of being a cinema snob...lol. ;)

Now I have watched a fair degree of shoyte, but I've never seen either of the above thankfully!

Your loss - Armageddon is fvcking class :D HARRY I LOVE YOU

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Watched passenger 57 again last night with Wesley Snipes. Not the best action movie you could watch from the 90's but certainly not the worst.

Am surprised it took me this long to realise that it's a die hard clone :pac: even down to the music.

Your loss - Armageddon is fvcking class :D HARRY I LOVE YOU

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

I was just a tad disappointed by Green Room, needed more Stewart, I preferred Blue Ruin but I eagerly await the director's next film, something similar to Murder Party would be welcomed.

65/100.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement