Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

mike65 wrote: »
    The Matador (2005) Pierce Brosnan, Greg Kinnear and Hope Davis. Enjoyable shaggy-dog comedy with plenty of nice scenes in search of a more substantial plot.

Brosnan is great in that, really sends himself up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

Spanish Movie (2009

This had some really good funny moment, I loved the way the movie stated, i Thought it was very funny and I was laughing a lot at the start,

There are some really good funny jokes that work really well throughout the movie and most of the jokes due floor flat and now and again.

The main spoof was The Orphanage/Others and some others movies Spain and US.

I did enjoy the REC spoof was really nice to see but Little of Scary movie feel to it''

Not on of the best spoof of seen but no were near as bad disaster movie

This one is a worth watching spoof!

4 out of 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

We went to Life of Pi yesterday, was very beautiful and moving. My boyfriend has read the book but I haven't so wasn't quite sure what to expect but absolutely loved it and he thought it was a great adaption, would recommend for everyone to see over the holidays (after The Hobbit of course:D)!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭siblers

This film should have been so much better, still worth a watch though, only about 75 minutes long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Getting xmas spirited, watched Fred Clause and Scrooged while sorting my presents, cards etc, now going for The Holiday :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Recoil
    Steve Austin wrestler really enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Getting xmas spirited, watched Fred Clause and Scrooged while sorting my presents, cards etc, now going for The Holiday :)

Doing the same, watched Supersize Me.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Punch-Drunk Love, for the third time.

One of those movies that makes the world seem like a better place. Wonderful.

yesterday
    Brake (2012)
    Only reason I watched this, it kind of sound like Buried, This time man wakes up in Box of Glass in back of a Truck, being held hostage by the people on the radio.

Thought the movie, it's just seem talking and helping other people who in the same situations.

i Found most of the movie really well gripping and Could not wait until what happens next before one of worst twist ever.

The twist just made the whole movie really pointless and after the movie got even Predictable wit the Double twist.

If movie ended ten minutes before it dId, I would have giving it respectable 7 out of 10, how ever twist killed the movie , which makes 4 out of 10

The acting was okay but there went many like able people in this movie

Today
    Saw 4(2007)

I still can't believe that got up SAW 7 and yet Jigsaw died in SAW 3.

When I first saw this movie, when first came out wasn't not big fan of it at all, I have re-watch few times but never end up getting all the way thought it

Today I re-watch in full for first in years, I found the movie not as good as first 3 movies

I love the way the movie stared of was really nasty and gory, the trap was really good,

There some very decent twist and turns in this movie that took me by surprised,

There was some good neat traps in this movie

The acting was really good in this movie

6 out of 10

Saw V (2008)
    (My first watch)
    I was not looking forward to this one, I thought this was meant to be worse in the series,

I did not think it was that different of other at all, it may have helped watching Back to back 4.5 and 6.

This movie dose fill in some caps from 3 to 4, which I was clad about, Cause four never even showed the girl at the end of part 3, Which Baffled me in fourth movie when i first saw it.

The traps was not creative as they were in early sequel and did not find this movie as bloody as the other movies.

The acting was be stale at first but as the movies goes on, you kind of get used to it.

I did see the ending coming in this one, it's only one of saw movie that Saw

ending coming, to many clues all around

Overall found this 5 out of 10

Saw 6 (2009)
    I thought this would be a lot better then one before, however I thought first half of the movie really drag on for bit too long,

I was really bored in some parts
    Then when got it's got going, it did not let up at all, i was on the edge of seat the second part of the movie.

There were really good neat traps and very nasty scenes and some really good tense moment in this movie.

Acting was much better in this movie then fifth movie in the series, this fill some more caps in from other movies as well .

This movie also some really good twist and turns, ( By now , I was thinking how many people can be involved in this project , it was a bit over the top)

However this was one of better sequel , I give this movie 8 out of 10

SAW 3D (2010)
    And well Finally here, The Last of the SAW Series

No I did not see this 3D, I don't if that would have helped or not (Cause I still am 3D fan)

Like first few seconds of movie, where show some part of first movie, which was nice throw back of how it all began.

However , when the movie started it felt, the movie did not feel lik a normal SAW movie at all, it's felt really different about it, I don't know it just a little Cheap.

The start of the movie was just silly on all levels, really would all those people really watch women get killed and where guy were trapped, I just don't buy that at all.

The rest of the movie felt really weak then the other sequel, the trap not as good as the early at all and I didn't think the movie was that gory at all.

there were some bloody moment in this and some of effect a little too, it some scene can really pink in the blood.

The twist at end is what really saved this movie. it shame someone ruined the twist for few years ago, i would have been more shocked by it!

I give this movie 5 out of 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Sinister - Shockingly bad horror with a couple of well crafted frights. Steer clear unless you want your inteligence insulted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

W. Oliver Stone's look at George W. Bush's life. Josh Brolin gives an incredible performance as the eponymous former President; facial expressions, the way he carries himself and most of all the voice are all just as George W was. The supporting characters are also excellent, with Richard Dreyfuss being outstanding as the slithering Dick Cheney.

Throughout the film, there are jumps between Bush as the President of the United States and his past. Surprisingly, given Stone's liberal leaning and Bush's own plummeting popularity at the time of the film's release, it is pretty even-handed and you cannot but feel sympathy for George W.; he is forever seen as a failure and cannot seem to find his niche. His own father and family are disappointed in him while he seems to try his best but just cannot pull it together enough.

It seems that every single thing he does is either to try and win the acceptance of his father or that it is something he is coerced into doing by his own cronies. The film makes him appear to be a person that is so blindly craving acceptance and love that he will do anything that he can to win it, even if it is to the detriment of everything he holds dear.

A superb film that is absolutely made by the towering acting performances throughout. One of Stone's best.

Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm Made in 1993 and intended to be a direct-to-video release, this is an addendum to the brilliant Batman: Animated Series that was so popular at the time. This film is not just for kids; there is plenty here for audiences of all ages. It is in many ways superior to some of the live-action Batman offerings that are out there.

The plot of a new, murderous vigilante stalking the streets of Gotham and Batman getting the blame is very well executed. The links to Bruce Wayne's own past and his donning of the cape and cowl for the first time make this a very worthy entrant of films that show us the origins of the Bat.

Well worth a watch if you can find it; do not be put off by the fact that it is "just a cartoon"... it is much more than that.

Catch Me If You Can One of Steven Spielberg's more light-hearted and jolly little romps that is helped along in no small part by the acting of the two leads, Leonardo diCaprio and Tom Hanks.

DiCaprio plays a young and brilliant fraudster and conman while Hanks is the Federal Agent hot on his heels. As diCaprio forges cheques, masquerades as a pilot/doctor/lawyer and wins the hearts of countless young girls in his guises, Hanks is always just one step behind him.

The film is shown affectionately and you cannot help but be hoping that both characters will succeed; you would love to see the daring and psuedo-swashbuckling diCaprio escape, and contrarily you would love to see the stoic, but likeable, Hanks slap the cuffs on his man.

The film moves along nicely, chronicling the life of the young fraudster from his first taste of impersonation and fraud in school, to forging and cashing over $4,000,000 worth of cheques in a 4 year period. A great, easy-to-watch film.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Watched August Rush on film4 this morning. I've seen it before but I really enjoyed it.

I am a very cynical person, the worst, and every part of me says I should hate this film, it's totally unbelievable and a bit ridiculous, but...... I don't care! I love it. It's magical.

If you haven't seen it, it's basically the story of an 11 year old boy who was put in care when he was born and he's trying to find his parents and is convinced that if he "follows the music" he'll find them. It's a bit fairy tail ish in a way, I guess, and if you were to over analyse it you'd probably be able to pick it apart but it's better if you just go with it.

It's directed by Kirsten Sheridan, which I didn't know the first time I watched it, but it's beautifully shot and the music in it is wonderful too.

Hellraiser IV: Bloodline (1996)

This my first watch of this movie, , I loved first 2 move in the series and I enjoyed the third one, i thought it okay sequel

However this one, i did not like as much as the other sequels,

I just could not get into this story at all, I really bored for most of the time in them movie.

I did not care for any one in this movie, the acting was not great but it still worth watching i say

There were some decent gory scenes in this movie but I didn't find anything scary or creepy about this what so ever.

I found this very dull and boring with bloody parts in here and there, Over I give 4 out of 10

Hellraiser V (2000)

After seeing the very disappointing forth sequel, I was not really looking this one,

I was really surprised with sequel as for fifth movie in series and first one to got Straight to Video. I do understand why it was, it was of a stand alone movie, which was did have any connections to others

I found the whole movie very really tense and little bizarre, I really got into movie, I could not wait until happens next.

This movie did not focus on the gory kill, Like the last two sequels , there wasn't gory scenes in this movie, they very limited, it more like first movie, that focused more on the main lead instead of pinhead him self.

The plot the really good, some really good twist and turns from start to end, I was really clad how the movie ended.

I found this one to be of the creepiest of the series so far, those creature of hell were really, really effect in this movie.

The only down side in that Main lead, wasn't very like able person, so didn't really care for it.

Second best sequel in the movie,

I going to Give this movie 8 out of 10

If I liked that, Might give Hellrasiers 6 a watch , that Hellseeker or Deader

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

No Saorview (until I was given a present of a box today) and so it was back to the trusty VHS tapes and DVDs for Christmas. Christmas Eve saw me watching an unusual Irish production:

"Fiddler's Walk" (2006) produced by Kingsnorth Films and shot on location in South Armagh, Down and Louth. Follows the trials and tribulations of an Irish/American woman who inherits an Irish pub and returns from the USA determined to put her own stamp on the business. Apart from upsetting some of the locals with her plans, old family relationships come out of the woodwork..
    Good cinematography but weak acting from some of the cast of relative unknowns makes for a patchy experience. In many ways it was like a pilot for a TV series like Ballykissangel and given time the likeable cast would have found their step. Available from Amazon. 6/10

FW_Cover.jpg

Christmas Day and another strange movie:

"The List of Adrian Messenger" (1963) Directed by John Huston and with a stellar cast including George C. Scott, Kirk Douglas, Burt Lancaster, Tony Curtis, Robert Mitchum, Dana Wynter and Frank Sinatra.

Author Adrian Messenger asks retired MI5 agent Anthony Gethryn (George C.Scott) to unravel the apparently unconnected yet suspicious deaths of 11 people on a list. However, before long Messenger himself is murdered and Gethryn is left to track down the last names on the list and unmask the killer...Most of the star studded cast only have cameo roles and are heavily made up so to be virtually unrecognisable. In the epilog they are unmasked and you get the chance to see if you guessed correctly. Good yarn, good plot and much of the movie was shot County Wickow - I liked it anyway. 9/10 Available on DVD.

Last night it was time for a war movie albeit with little shooting.

"Casablanca" (1942) VHS special edition - 50c from a charity shop. Love, money and corruption in Wartime North Africa. B+W. Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Claude Rains and Peter Lorre. 10/10.
    Viewed for the umpteenth time and hits the spot every time.
    Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time Goes By'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

"Casablanca" (1942) VHS special edition - 50c from a charity shop. Love, money and corruption in Wartime North Africa. B+W. Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Claude Rains and Peter Lorre. 10/10.
    Viewed for the umpteenth time and hits the spot every time.
    Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time Goes By'

Aah man you're not doing it justice! I have it on blu ray and it looks like it was shot yesterday, at least get it on DVD, the lovely noirish photography is lost on those ****ty VHS era transfers, how can you watch anything on VHS anyway it was an awful format!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Finally watced Snakes on a Plane ....
    Its actually alright. Was expecting some cringe-fest. But no. Was actually a decent watch :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Strictly Ballroom

A classic! Wish Luhrmann had stopped making films after this one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A silent double-bill this evening.

Steamboat Bill Jr.: For the first two thirds of the film this seemed like a relatively muted production for Buster Keaton: charming and amusing no doubt (with cinema's finest puddle gag), but light on the insane physical spectacle comedy that he's known for. A simple story told in a straightforward and funny way. Then comes the stormy climax which is so huge and expensive-looking that it makes even The General seem a bit low key. Magnificent as always from Keaton - not quite on Sherlock Jr. or The General level, but they're obscenely high benchmarks in my mind ;)

The Last Laugh: A treat for cinephiles interested in the early directors who bravely experimented with telling wholly cinematic stories. With nothing but introductory intertitles, the film plays out without dialogue (the odd cutaway to a newspaper or letter is forgiven). Stylistically it's a triumph, and F.W. Murnau and his team were masters of cinematography - from the stunningly energetic opening shot to the bold use of lighting and one of the most successfully realised dream sequences I've ever seen. The story - concerning a proud but ageing doorman demoted to washroom attendant - is well told, and benefits from an intensely involved lead performance. A strange extended epilogue comes out of left field, adding a harshly satirical yet oddly poignant note to a generally bleak film.

Hellraiser: Hellseeker (2002)

I have some really mixed feeling about this sequel not as good as the one before, I thought it was better then the fourth movie in the series for so far.

The most of the movie. I was really confused, as the movie kept on going, I just kept on getting more and more confused..

I did not understand what the hell was going for most of the movie, I just found the whole movie to be very bizarre.

I did not find that boring, there were some dull parts that drag on bit but that really, found this sequel well worth watching.

I Clad that Kirsty returned in this movie to have a connections to the early movies in the series

I really liked the the ending, it really took me by surprised as did not seeing coming at all,

Over I thought it was very decent sequel but it did not have many bloody moment in this at all, i thought it even less gory then one before, which had very little gory in it.

I give this 6 out of 10

• Advertisement

Aah man you're not doing it justice! I have it on blu ray and it looks like it was shot yesterday, at least get it on DVD, the lovely noirish photography is lost on those ****ty VHS era transfers, how can you watch anything on VHS anyway it was an awful format!

I'm not a technology snob and I find VHS quality fine - obviously it depends on the transfer but DVDs/Blu-ray can also be hit and miss. Many movies never made it to DVD let alone Blu-ray so thanks I'll keep my multi-region VHS and DVD players - the extra cash in my pocket (.50cents as against £9+ for a Blu-ray version) comes in handy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm not a technology snob and I find VHS quality fine - obviously it depends on the transfer but DVDs/Blu-ray can also be hit and miss. Many movies never made it to DVD let alone Blu-ray so thanks I'll keep my multi-region VHS and DVD players - the extra cash in my pocket (.50cents as against £9+ for a Blu-ray version) comes in handy. :D

Thats not snobbish its watching something in the best quality possible, something like Lawrence of Arabia on VHS just doesnt compare in any way to the blu-ray transfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If its 20 euro for a BluRay versus 50c for a VHS - Blu everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I watched At Close Range [1986] with Sean Penn, Chris Penn and Christopher Walken. It's described as crime/drama but is fairly cheesy and unintentionally hilarious. I couldn't take it seriously. Pure 80s. Many will love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

What becomes of the broken hearted

Sequel to Once were warriors

Was ok, worth a watch but nowhere as good as the first film.
    It's forgettable

Jake does redeem himself a bit at the end.
    But it was a ridiculous ending anyway for one man with a spanner to face down over 10 heavily armed thugs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Its not snobbery its just that the low resolution of VHS can't possibly do justice to the cinematography of the likes of Casablanca (probably my favourite film ever), as cinema is primarily a visual medium it matters how you view it and its not as if I'm advocating hugely expensive new technology, every home in Ireland has a dvd player now!

No snobbery invovled, VHS is a vastly inferior way to watch a film and anyone who argues otherwise or brings up the technology snobbery angle is just wrong. Watching Casabalance on Blu and the difference between that fuzzy VHS image is not so much light and day as worlds apart. There simply is no comparision and I would be happier to fork over 10 or 20 euro for a Blu than I would to pay 12 cent for the same film on VHS. As lets be honest, if in this day and age you are watching your films on VHS then you are doing it wrong.

No snobbery invovled, VHS is a vastly inferior way to watch a film and anyone who argues otherwise or brings up the technology snobbery angle is just wrong. Watching Casabalance on Blu and the difference between that fuzzy VHS image is not so much light and day as worlds apart. There simply is no comparision and I would be happier to fork over 10 or 20 euro for a Blu than I would to pay 12 cent for the same film on VHS. As lets be honest, if in this day and age you are watching your films on VHS then you are doing it wrong.

Maybe you should invest in a better VHS player? Mine does the business for me and, as I said, there are many movies that never made it on to DVD so how do you suggest that I view these?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Maybe you should invest in a better VHS player? Mine does the business for me and, as I said, there are many movies that never made it on to DVD so how do you suggest that I view these?

does anywhere even sell them anymore? Its technology over a decade out of date now,afaik I the last major release on VHS was Attack Of The Clones, and it had died long before that as a format. hell dvd is out of date tech now.

• Advertisement

Hellraiser: Deader (Video 2005)

This not were near as good as first movie movies or 5 or 6, I do think it just tiny bit better then 4th movie in the series.

Only saw this few hours ago, I swear, I don't remember much that really happened in the movie

There were some bloody moment , I would say bit more bloody then last two movie in the series.

I just could not get into this movie at all, as the plot was bit to bland , I thought, I did not care anyone in this movie at all.

Even the main lead, I found really annoying and I find ending really cheap and I did not
    like as much as the other sequel.

it's was not as boring as fourth movie in the series,
    Which I give this movie 4 out of 10

Hellraiser: Hellworld (Video 2005)

Don't why but I blame Halloween: Resurrection (2002) for this , I hated that so much, yet this is not as bad that but it that far be hide it all. Most of the movie I just had Halloween 8 all over again.

I thought last was really bad but this one even worse one in the whole series (No I won't counting in the Revelations as not going bother with it all )

Gamers playing a MMORPG based on the "Hellraiser" franchise find their lives endangered after being invited to a rave whose host intends to show them the truth behind the Cenobite mythos.

I found first half of hour of movie was just a waste of time, were nothing really happens, I Don't mind slow start, at least give us something to chew on for a bit but nothing.

Then the teens are getting killed in this movie , some of the death scene are bloody but in a way they looked really cheap.

the effect were not that good at all, However did seem have a bit more bloody moment in this movie then last few sequels (Which dose not make good Hellrasier movie)

The acting ( If you can call it that) from all teens. they were do dame annoying. i was fast forward some parts of the movie, voice started get on nerve.

And the twist was was utter rubbish, its so predicable from the first moment the movie started

The bland twist kind fitted in well with rest of the movie which was very bland indeed.
    The Hellrasier series ends here for me.

1 out of 10

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement