Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,957 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Safety Not Guaranteed (2012)

A story of some supposedly crazy guy who puts an ad in paper looking for someone to time travel with. '' Bring your own weapons, safety not guaranteed''
    I thought it was an interesting film on how we judge someone off the bat , label them crazy only for them to surprise us.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

"Breakthrough" (1979) on YouTube.

A third attempt to find an in-synch upload of this movie and I should have saved myself the effort.

World War .II. movie with a star studded cast including Richard Burton, Curt Jurgens, Robert Mitchum and Rod Steiger - how could I go wrong? Supposedly planned as a sequel to Sam Peckinpah's superb "Cross of Iron"(1977) with James Coburn set to reprise his role as Steiner, but he pulled out and was replaced by Richard Burton. The smooth Helmut Griem is unconvincing as Major Stransky still searching for an Iron Cross, and compares poorly with the great Maximilian Schell from the earlier movie.

Despite a reasonable (?) plot and decent cast the film never gets out of first gear. As an aside, how did Steiner and Stransky come out of the earlier movie alive - if you've seen it you will know what I mean.

The unbelievably bad score puts the tin hat on a miserable production. Avoid.

2/10 - and that's for the presence of Richard Burton and Curt Jurgens.

If you must - watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuQOm1X4yVk German trailer for the movie (2.5 mins) and save yourself a lot of pain. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Watched Breakfast on Pluto for the first time last night.

It's funny, charming, sad and uplifting in equal measures.

Cillian Murphy really is a super actor and I loved Brendan Gleesons turn in it.

Just a really enjoyable film.

8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Watched Breakfast on Pluto for the first time last night.

It's funny, charming, sad and uplifting in equal measures.

Cillian Murphy really is a super actor and I loved Brendan Gleesons turn in it.

Just a really enjoyable film.

8/10

He should be up there with Colin Farrell and Michael Fassbender, but Cillian doesn't seem to crave the big Hollywood roles. He's amazing in Peaky Blinders, but film wise I think Breakfast on Pluto and Disco Pigs hold his best acting work. Liam Neeson is really good in Pluto too, also a cameo from Bryan Ferry of Roxy Music can't do you wrong.

Watched another Neil Jordan film over the weekend, Crying Game, aside from Forest Whitaker awful English accent and the twist, it's a fantastic film with Stephen Rea giving a career best performance. I think along with Mona Lisa and Michael Collins probably Jordan's best work. 9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Cracks on Blu Ray with Eva Green (swoon). Bought this on release as I didn't get to see it in the cinema (not sure if it was even released here tbh) and forgot about it until I went looking for something to watch this evening. Filmed mostly in Ireland (Wicklow, Meath and Dublin) though set in an English all girls boarding school it's the story of a teacher (Green) and her relationship(s) with some of her students. Can't really say any more without spoiling it but it's interesting, and beautifully shot. 7/10

Also directed by Ridley Scott's daughter Jordan, so it seems she got her dad's talent shooting a beautiful film. She hasn't done anything since which is a shame. Eva Green, she provides you with two things in her films, great acting and her taking her clothes off (although I don't think she does in this one). Still think her best performance is in the Dreamers, don't think her performances in big budget films bring out the best in her. Cracks is definitely top 5 in Greens best. Another talent who gets lost in big budget films but is great in artier/low budget film is Juno Temple, she every bit as good as Green in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Well I just finished watching Sexy Beast. Brilliant film. How had I never heard of this film til a few weeks ago? A very well put together film. Ben Kingsley is superb in it. 9/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Well I just finished watching Sexy Beast. Brilliant film. How had I never heard of this film til a few weeks ago? A very well put together film. Ben Kingsley is superb in it. 9/10.

You're not the only one.....I've lost count of the amount of people I know who hadn't heard of it or seen it or - and this is a comment I've heard more than once - "it can't be that good really can it? Lovejoy is in it". Hard to believe Ghandi became Don Logan.........now that's range.

We watched La Haine tonight. Herself had never seen it and and speaks fluent French and I've seen it a few times..... one of my top 10 :o So watched without subs. One of those movies I'll never get tired of seeing once a year or so.

Put me in the mood for digging out more of Vincent Cassel's better flicks.

Might need to work myself up to being in the mood for Irreversible , only seen it once brilliant on many levels but a hard movie to want to go back to :(. Doberman might be a better choice next. Has anyone seen him in 'Our Day Will Come' I know some of it was shot here but I haven't seen that one :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

The Searchers
    Great film, gorgeous, John Wayne's great in it and the film for the most part does a remarkable job juggling the ethical issues inherent in older westerns.

the Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    First time I ever saw it.
    It's very cool, isn't it?

The Searchers
    Great film, gorgeous, John Wayne's great in it and the film for the most part does a remarkable job juggling the ethical issues inherent in older westerns.

the Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    First time I ever saw it.
    It's very cool, isn't it?

I hope you're either very young or were lost in space for the last 50 years. :D

• Advertisement

I just got hold of a copy of "After '16" - a DVD of 9 shorts commissioned by the Irish Film Board to celebrate the Centenary of the Easter Rising. I'm rationing myself to three per night. Great stuff so far and this gem is among them. Enjoy. :D

We watched La Haine tonight. Herself had never seen it and and speaks fluent French and I've seen it a few times..... one of my top 10 :o So watched without subs. One of those movies I'll never get tired of seeing once a year or so.

Put me in the mood for digging out more of Vincent Cassel's better flicks.

Might need to work myself up to being in the mood for Irreversible , only seen it once brilliant on many levels but a hard movie to want to go back to :(. Doberman might be a better choice next. Has anyone seen him in 'Our Day Will Come' I know some of it was shot here but I haven't seen that one :confused:

+1 on La Haine.

Irreversible.....a difficult watch alright, but worth it IMO.

I haven't seen Doberman but I have it somewhere.

You forgot Mesrine btw :)

Stay away from Crimson Rivers whatever you do. Utter shoyte.

Koyaanisqatsi on Blu Ray. Bought a double pack collector's edition of it and Powaqqatsi https://www.amazon.co.uk/Koyaanisqatsi-Powaqqatsi-Blu-ray-Godfrey-Reggio/dp/B00IJD75H6/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1468324411&sr=1-2&keywords=koyaanisqatsi a while back and finally threw it on last night (it's been on my list of things to watch since forever). Absolutely blown away by it, and the accompanying Philip Glass score. A big screen and surround sound certainly add to the experience, but I'd watch it on my phone again. Stunning, but not for everyone.....:) Hopefully will get the time to see Powaqqatsi tonight.
    9/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

TBH, the first effort is the better one. Wasn't at all impressed by subsequent films.

In saying that, I can't watch 'Koyaanisqatsi' any more either. I only listen to the soundtrack now.

The 'Pruit Igoe' piece never gets old.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭j.s. pill II

Tired of your summer blockbuster disaster movies gratuitously destroying famous monuments; killing millions of people; leveling cities and laying waste to entire civilisations? If so, check out Bølgen (2015) where a small Norweigan town is threatened by a wave that is racing up a fjord - caused by a large deposit of rocks falling in to said fjord. Watch as the townsfolk ignore the persistent warnings of one rogue scientist and the wave threatens to engulf their entire town and kill.....10s...of people.

It's actually far better than that slightly tongue in cheek summary might suggest. Not exactly edge of your seat stuff but certainly worth a watch. Some amazing scenery shots (fjords, naturally) and reasonably well paced (though probably slightly longer than necessary).

Though unless you have particularly odd kids, I would probably recommend bringing them to see Independence Day rather than sitting them in front of Scandinavia's offering....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I hope you're either very young or were lost in space for the last 50 years. :D

Was deliberately putting it off until I could see it in a cinema. Have to say I wish I just watched it on tv3 in the middle of the night that time in 2003, would've enjoyed it a lot more back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

A Single Shot
    Sam Rockwell finds a load of money which belongs to some bad people and..... well you know the rest! Everyone mumbles their way through this dark film. No sympathetic or likeable characters makes it hard going. Sam Rockwell is usually worth watching, but this is just too predictable and downbeat.

Powaqqatsi Hmmmm, after being blown away by its predecessor, I was a little underwhelmed with this. It's still a visual and aural feast (again Philip Glass' score delivers, albeit very differently to the Koyannisqatsi* score) but it just felt like a re-hash of the original idea. Maybe that's the problem - the feeling of seeing it all before? I wonder how both of these will work for me on repeat viewing? Still a 7.5/10 though

*I've been thinking about this a lot for the last few days....genuine question: Did anyone feel the Koyannisqatsi score had a "demonic" undercurrent? At times it felt very similar to "The Omen" score, had hints of Carmina Burana too and the chanting (similar to Gregorian chanting)all contributed to this. I haven't googled it so maybe I'm overanalysing, but before I do....any thoughts?

Yes. It's very low key and sinister. It's why I prefer it over the STs for the other films in the series.

Reminds me of 'Candyman', also by Glass. :pac:

Don't hear any of Goldsmith's black mass stuff in it though.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Yes. It's very low key and sinister. It's why I prefer it over the STs for the other films in the series.

Reminds me of 'Candyman', also by Glass. :pac:

Don't hear any of Goldsmith's black mass stuff in it though.

The chanting is very similar to the chanting in a The Omen's "Ave Satani" in terms of rhythm and the gradual accelerator as it progresses and builds. Well to me anyway...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

HIT SO HARD follows the journey of Patty Schemel, drummer of Courtney Love's seminal rock band 'Hole.'

As a young girl who always knew she was 'different' from the other kids in her farm town home outside of Seattle, Patty never dreamed she would one day have her picture on the cover of 'Rolling Stone.'

But she also never fathomed that she could lose it all. A true survivor of what we now know was the disaffected 'slacker' generation, Patty found herself, like her friend Kurt Cobain, embraced by the dark side.

The chanting is very similar to the chanting in a The Omen's "Ave Satani" in terms of rhythm and the gradual accelerator as it progresses and builds. Well to me anyway...:rolleyes:

Um maybe. Haven't listened to it in donkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Seen Maggie's Plan this week and I absolutely loved it. The film deserves it's own thread tbf. Julianne Moore is excellent in it. The cinematography is beautiful. The writing smart and witty. Without being pompous and overbearing, as many films from those so obviously inspired by Woody Allen can tend to be. Most likely only going to be in the cinema for another week or so. Would definitely recommend seeing if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Nicholas Ray's 'In a Lonely Place'. My first Criterion Bluray. It features a deliciously nasty performance from Humphrey Bogart, possibly the best I've ever seen him. I agree with Roger Ebert in that it's ostensibly a noir, but better understood as a tragic love story. Highly recommended for fans of unhappy endings and rubber-faced sex gods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Watched Green Room tonight after hearing many good things.

A bit meh for me.

It's decent enough but did nothing unexpected.

Tbh I think alot of people go bananas for movies featuring Patrick Stewart these days.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

A bit meh for me.

Tbh I think alot of people go bananas for movies featuring Patrick Stewart these days.

Patrick Stewart is the older version of Cumberbatch or Hiddleston. The internet seems to love them for some reason and this obsession spills over into real life and people flock to see whatever they're in but nobody really knows why.

To be fair to Stewart, he's quite funny on twitter.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I finally got around to seeing When Marnie Was There at the cinema last night, and I'm very glad I caught it on a big screen. What a beautiful-looking film! With, as expected from them, a lovely score to boot. I hope Studio Ghibli doesn't close its doors, I can't think of any other studio or company that has such a strong track record of handling varied tone and mood well.

Saw 'Love at First Fight' (Les Combattants) last night. Really enjoyable and we wouldn't be comedy/romance movie people at all.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Saw 'Love at First Fight' (Les Combattants) last night. Really enjoyable and we wouldn't be comedy/romance movie people at all.

It's on Film 4 on Monday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Heckler

A bit meh for me.

Kinda the same. Heard rave reviews.

It was good enough but nothing special. Stewart could have been played by anyone. He brought nothing special to the mix and to be honest I get the feeling hes was thinking how the hell did I end up here.....

While I know it was important to advance the film, giving up the gun was just silly.

As a Dead Kennedys fan I did like how they played Nazi punks **** off to the nazis

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement