Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Just finished watching king of devils island (2010) a norwegian movie about a prison for juveniles on basty island,off oslo.couldnt recommend this movie high enough,based on a true story,this island was used as a prison/rehabilition centre from 1900-1950 and tells of the cruel regime that operated it in such harsh conditions and the corrupt and ruthless staff, a must see.

Have that at home on blu ray, waiting to get to it. Thanks for reminding me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

Have that at home on blu ray, waiting to get to it. Thanks for reminding me!

I think you will enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

"Hungry Hill" (1947)

Epic saga of two feuding West Cork families spread over five generations. Based on the novel by Daphne du Maurier with filming in Avoca, Co.Wicklow and on the Beara Peninsula in Co.Cork. An English production directed by Belfast born Brian Desmond Hurst with a strong cast including Margaret Lockwood, Cecil Parker, Siobhan McKenna and Dan O'Herlihy.

hungry-hill-poster.jpg?w=776&h=1011

The Brodricks represent the land owning class while the Donovans are the dispossessed Irish. When John Brodrick opens a copper mine on his land and brings in Cornish miners to work in it the seething resentment of the Donovans and their neighbours boils over...

There's a lot packed into 90 minutes - violence, romance, tragedy and a little stage Irishness, but not too much of the latter - and it's easy viewing.

Available on DVD. 9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

Ma ma (2015) not to be confused with the horror movie mama.i cant find enough superlitives to describe this movie.its a spanish movie about a woman with breast cancer, not normally my type of film, but this is one of the most beautiful movies i have seen in a long time.luis tosar gives his usual excellent performance,but penelope cruz is just amazing.its a sad movie,obviously from the subject matter,but cruz gives her character a kind of quirky twist. The story is amazing and its just short of 2 hours. 10/10,highly recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Decay - Norman Bates type character keeps a decaying dead body of a woman who died in his basement as his "girlfriend". Pretty creepy but a bit of a twist on the genre of "lonely man with mommy issues" thriller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Amanda Knox - Uggh, true crime. I've watched them all at this stage, or at least most of them - Making of A Jinxed Serial Murderer would be the Frankenstein's monster type creation born out the current vogue for tales of true life horror and bloodshed.

I feel like a real bloodsucker of a human being when I watch this kind of stuff, because I know it's a trope - as much as the mournful stringed music - for the filmmakers or podcast authors to wring their hands and disingenuously tut-tut at the accompanying media frenzy around the case that always gets portrayed in these type of faction tales. It's a disingenuous load of nonsense of course, because these types of thing cater, as much as the tabloid media do, to our deep-seated rubbernecking desire to vicariously get off on the images or sounds of some poor regular person having their life turned upside down or crushed by the system. But, sadly, I find this crap entertaining - and so does everyone else. That's my only justification and I'll have to try to live with myself. I do feel bad about it though.

I'm sorta happy to report that Amanda Knox doesn't feel quite as ethically dubious as some of the other similar TV or Film true crime orientated crap that has emerged into the light over the last two years or so. It doesn't feel totally without a purpose or moral backbone; I got a strong Errol Morris vibe off the documentary. Stylistically, it's very similar - the key people talking unguardedly to the camera, modern minimalist soundtrack plonking away in the background. Also, in terms of tone it has that Morrisian air of being above the somewhat grubby business of taking sides. It sets out to recount the details of the case and lets you judge for yourself as some people either hang or redeem themselves with their words and attitudes. To be honest - as much as I try to be wary of when a doc is making me egotistically feel that I know the "truth" about something - I'd be fairly certain that the Italian police caught the real murderer of Meredith Kercher and that he's now in an Italian jail and that the subsequent trail, conviction, appeal, trail and appeal of Amanda Knox and Raffaelle Sollecito was a total farce based on flimsy evidence, prejudice and a media storm.

It's an extremely engrossing ninety minutes. Of course, you feel like it could do with another hour to really delve into some aspects of the story - it feels very short. What I liked about it the most was how it didn't just take the somewhat easy way out of leaving us all scratching our heads and pondering how difficult it is to find the truth in a situation like this. It showed, clearly, but without being overbearing about it, that the truth had effectively already been found - they'd caught the murderer, but it was of little concern to many.

Instead this parallel circus - fulled by fevered egos and a rabid media - blew up out all proportions and became a train-wreck that just couldn't be stopped. Some of these fevered egos come out of the doc pretty badly - The Perugian Chief Prosecutor, who talks of outlandish theories about the motivations behind the murder, but claims to deal only in solid facts. Of course, if you've seen the documentary, you'll know that the man who comes off worse than anyone is the Daily Mail's Nick Pisa - the man who coined the term "foxy-knoxy". Now, I know whatever guy they had to play the role of personifying the media was kind of on a hiding to nothing here, given the film's point of view and its fairly damnable illustration of media frenzy, and we do hear some of his remarks without context - but I have no doubt that this fellow is a reprehensible piece of crap. Some of the completely tone-deaf and wholly conscienceless remarks he comes out with just simply couldn't be said by a person with a shred of human decency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Watched Amanda Knox myself last night aswell and came away thinking she was definitely innocent and ridiculous that her and her boyfriend at the time, were ever charged.

The Infiltrator solid cast including Bryan Cranston, Diane Kruger, a very suave Benjamin Bratt (where the hell has he been?) and John Leguziamo (whom I'm normally not a great fan of but he is good in this); and the under-used Jason Isaacs and Amy Ryan, along with a small part for Nidge himself, Tom Vaughan-Lawlor. It's not bad, but it just feels like a bit of a wasted opportunity for me insofar as it had great potential, but feels very rushed even at 2+ hours. It would have made an interesting tv series (or even a season storyline in Narcos) but I was left feeling a bit underwhelmed by it. 6.5/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'The Trip'

British 6 episode TV series featuring Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon, as they wander around "oop norf" sampling local dishes for an Observer article that Coogan ostensibly has to write. I got the impression that somebody watched 'Sideways' and got "inspired".

I'm hot and cold with Coogan, I'll admit, but think the two series of 'I'm Alan Partridge' was some of the best BBC comedy in years. I've also never liked anything that Brydon has been in. But do like his appearances on things like 'Q.I.'. So, their appearance together in a show where they are "playing themselves" (they're not), isn't something that I would've be waiting for.

But, I have to say it was alright. But, just alright. Looking at the reviews for it, I was seriously surprised to see how positive they were. Although a number of them are for the "movie" version - a cut down running time of 1hr 50, or thereabouts - which equals roughly an hour removed. So that may actually play out better, for much of the running time of the TV show is plagued by repetition (endless impressions) and, at times, improv that's dragged out to long and in the end doesn't really work. It's also beset by a pretty maudlin subplot about a cantankerous Coogan and his attempts to woo back a wayward girlfriend (while subsequently bedding other girls on the side).

So, while relatively decent, in the end it comes across as some vague idea with an gulf of running time that the two comedians had to fill and they struggle to do so in a number of areas.

Over all, if you're a fan of either comic, give it a go (if you haven't already). But, if you're just looking for something to watch, you may find it a bit self indulgent and kind of empty.

5/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Tony EH wrote: »
    I've also never liked anything that Brydon has been in.

Awh man, what about Marion & Geoff? :(

• Advertisement

I only watched a few episodes of that. That was ages ago wasn't it? Can't remember being too wild about it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

I only watched a few episodes of that. That was ages ago wasn't it? Can't remember being too wild about it though.
    Oh yeah, 16 years. He's had bits and pieces since (a cock and bull story, human remains) but doesn't seem to be great at the old quality control.

Marion & Geoff is great though imo, he plays an endearing loser fierce well.

'The Trip'

British 6 episode TV series featuring Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon, as they wander around "oop norf" sampling local dishes for an Observer article that Coogan ostensibly has to write. I got the impression that somebody watched 'Sideways' and got "inspired".

I'm hot and cold with Coogan, I'll admit, but think the two series of 'I'm Alan Partridge' was some of the best BBC comedy in years. I've also never liked anything that Brydon has been in. But do like his appearances on things like 'Q.I.'. So, their appearance together in a show where they are "playing themselves" (they're not), isn't something that I would've be waiting for.

But, I have to say it was alright. But, just alright. Looking at the reviews for it, I was seriously surprised to see how positive they were. Although a number of them are for the "movie" version - a cut down running time of 1hr 50, or thereabouts - which equals roughly an hour removed. So that may actually play out better, for much of the running time of the TV show is plagued by repetition (endless impressions) and, at times, improv that's dragged out to long and in the end doesn't really work. It's also beset by a pretty maudlin subplot about a cantankerous Coogan and his attempts to woo back a wayward girlfriend (while subsequently bedding other girls on the side).

So, while relatively decent, in the end it comes across as some vague idea with an gulf of running time that the two comedians had to fill and they struggle to do so in a number of areas.

Over all, if you're a fan of either comic, give it a go (if you haven't already). But, if you're just looking for something to watch, you may find it a bit self indulgent and kind of empty.

5/10

I remember liking it at the time though "The Trip to Italy" was better. I do like Coogan, but not really a fan of Brydon - just feels like he's trying too hard. Having been in Coogan's company once his shall we shall we say "horndoggery" isn't really exaggerated......

Lights Out starts off really promisingly then fades as most modern horrors tend to do. very short too. Were it not late I'd likely pen a dismissive critique based on the ending and it's not so subtle take on depression but it's by no means the worst horror I've seen in recent years. 5.5/10.

Triple 9
    Excellent cast but the story doesn't quite give them the material to display their talents fully. It gets overly complicated and then delivers a very flat ending. Disappointing really. 5/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Marnie (1964) Dir Alfred Hitchcock

The tale of a troubled woman (Tippy Hedren) and a dominant male (Sean Connery) who wants to make her his and get to the root of her phobia.

I'll say nothing else as it's a film to try to watch "cold" for best effect. More or less dismissed by many as a curiosity at best and a total misfire at worst in 1964 Marnie is a great example of a film that becomes rehabilitated over time. Quite how anyone could miss it's quality now seems strange but I suppose the themes in question turning up in a Hitchcock film starring the lead of The Birds and James Bond threw people as expectations were singularly not met. Its all talk no action bar one or two moments of physical drama and these are very much linked to the psychology of the character portrayed superbly by Hedren. Bernard Hermann's score is fabulous - full of tumult and emotional bombast which should sound corny and yet it chimes in perfectly with Hitchcock's mix of the careful and standoffish and pure cinematic melodrama.

While the stories are quite different Brian De Palma must be been channelling this as he made Obsession (one of his best and most febrile films).

The Three Musketeers (The Queen's Diamonds) (1973) Dir Richard Lester

The Salkind/Spengler version of the Dumas novel is easily the best filming of this story for my money. Great cast in top form, funny knockabout gags and Lester's light touch steering the action. Raquel Welsh's turn is brilliant as Constance wife of Bonacieux (Spike Milligan (!) who is equally amusing) if it can be tripped over, dropped or otherwise damaged Constance will make it happen. She really sold herself short or was sold short (it being Hollywood in the 60/70s) but this would end up being one of her last big screen roles. Two interesting facts - the producers wanted the Beatles as the Musketeers and d'Artagnan when the production was first considered. When the Three Musketeers had it's first advance screening the cast and many of the crew saw a trailer for the Four Musketeers - a film they didn't know existed! The proposed 3 hour film was cut in two and the producers made loads more money. As a result lawsuits flew and now every contract contains the "Salkind Clause" which states just how many film projects the production shoot actually covers.

Days of Glory 2006 Interesting war film about Troops from Algeria and Morocco that were brought up through Italy and France at the end of WW2 to liberate French towns. The film is a commentary on how these troops were treated by the french powers that be compared to the french Troops themselves, the false 'duty' they felt to the 'motherland' and where it got them in the end. Lags a little a one point but quite a good watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Grimsby

My God what an awful load of ****e, Penelope Cruz will sign up for any owl shyte it seems.

And just f-cking disgusting ... I mean - the elephant scene ???? WHY ????

The sucking his bollix scene ???

I mean has comedy become so bad they need to resort to "Let's see how much we can shock them with graphic obscene scenes" crap ...

Sewers of Gold (aka The Great Riviera Bank Robbery, aka Dirty Money) 1979 Dir Francis Megahy

The-Great-Riviera-Bank-Robbery-poster.jpg

One of several films based on the true spectacular robbery of a Nice bank full of safety deposit boxes which is estimated to have been worth $15m in 1976.

Made by Lew Grades ITC it's an all British cast not even attempting an Allo Allo style accent filmed almost entirely on location in the south of France so at times one has to remind oneself that every character in it is actually French. Ian McShane leads a decent workaday cast which also includes Warren Clarke. Pretty good as a drama with the depiction of the robbery and the huge amount of work involved well conveyed.

It isn't a movie, but it's part of my Irish movie research and with interesting times in the Gardai last night it was time for RTE's "Mattie" (2009).

rtedvd139__84004.1285940559.500.750.jpg?c=2

I've always been a big Pat Shortt fan, but faced into this shortlived series with some trepidation having just watched a trailer for "The Flag". However, I was pleasantly surprised and the 166 minutes (7 or was it 9 episodes) flew past. Genuinely funny with a decent storyline and good casting left me wondering why the show was axed after such a short run. Perhaps the Gardai got it canned rather than RTE. biggrin.png

Two Euros well spent in my local charity shop. 8/10

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    It isn't a movie, but it's part of my Irish movie research and with interesting times in the Gardai last night it was time for RTE's "Mattie" (2009). I've always been a big Pat Shortt fan, but faced into this shortlived series with some trepidation having just watched a trailer for "The Flag". However, I was pleasantly surprised and the 166 minutes (7 or was it 9 episodes) flew past. Genuinely funny with a decent storyline and good casting left me wondering why the show was axed after such a short run. Perhaps the Gardai got it canned rather than RTE. Two Euros well spent in my local charity shop. 8/10

/\

What's it about?

Plus, if you haven't already, watch 'Garage'.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

/\

What's it about?

Pat Shortt is such a weird one. You see things like Garage and Smalltown and realise he's quite a talented actor but then you see things like Killanaskully and nearly everything else ge does and wonder why?

/\

What's it about?

I have "Garage" - definitely Pat Shortt's finest hour.

"Mattie" is about a country detective garda who is transferred to the city after a bungled surveillance operation. Mattie finds city ways different to what he's used to and falls foul of his superior officer who is determined to have him transferred out of his station. Despite his 'unlikely' methods Mattie inevitably brings home the bacon - sorry! :D More than that I cannot say without giving the whole plot away.

Pat Shortt is such a weird one. You see things like Garage and Smalltown and realise he's quite a talented actor but then you see things like Killanaskully and nearly everything else ge does and wonder why?

I have all the "Killinaskully" episodes lined up for Winter viewing. Some are classics - I suppose that I can relate to a lot of the characters having lived in County Leitrim. :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I have all the "Killinaskully" episodes lined up for Winter viewing. Some are classics - I suppose that I can relate to a lot of the characters having lived in County Leitrim. :D

I suppose it's down to taste. He's been quite successful with the "comedy" because there's obviously an audience for it.

Yeah Tickles, 'Killinaskully' is absolute dreck. Never understood why some people hold it in high esteem.

But then, there are fans of 'Mrs Brown' out there, so anything's possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Belladonna of Sadness: Surrealist, sumptuous, erotic Japanese animated film from the 70s.

Think Rene Laloux after a heavy dose of LSD.

Great soundtrack too.

Keanu I guess there's really 2 audiences for this kind of film, one that knows the writers/actors (Key & Peele) work and have some idea of black culture, and one that doesn't. If you like their humour and work you'll most likely like this but it really is just a sketch extended to a movie, but it has its moments and is by no means the worst comedy I've seen this year. Will Forte has a good (but short) cameo in it (we need more Will Forte vehicles). I'll give it a 6.5/10 (in the "intentionally stupid comedy" genre).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Swiss Army Man

Silly and childish hipster nonsense. The soundtrack and all that kind of almost fake blis life insurance style advert sequences were awful.

Radcliffe was pretty good in it as a dead guy though. Still sh1te though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Seen a lot of really good new films recently. A few:

Toni Erdmann - take a premise right out of a particularly lazy Adam Sandler vehicle and transform it into a brilliantly weird hybrid of family drama, social satire and outrageous comedy. It's a slow burner but a wonderful one that delivers at least two of this year's hands-down best scenes. The rest is pretty great too. Deserving of the hype, this is a true original. All hail Peter Simonischek.

Paterson - Jarmusch's finest in years. Inspired use of repetition examines one man's (Adam Driver, in fine form) daily life. Avoiding sentimentality, it is both a critique and tribute to resilience, normality and everyday creativity. Of course it's all through the wry visual and verbal wit one always associates with a Jarmusch joint.

Elle - a 'rape revenge' thriller from Paul Verhoven that's exactly as provocative and curious as one would expect. Isabelle Huppert is astonishing as a very fresh and fascinating subversion of your usual 'victim' archetype - both the performance and character exude an uncommon self-assurance and resilience. The film is a tad uneven overall, but that does little to dim what it gets right - a bold, progressive and blackly comic film that easily overrides any risk of becoming just another exploitation thriller.

Under the Shadow - This is what happens when you translate some fundamentally familiar tropes into a new context. Set in Tehran during the Iran-Iraq war, this is a story similar to the likes of the Babadook but one that becomes something altogether more intriguing due to the complexities of the setting. Babak Anvari works wonders, the interior monsters sharply contrasting with the social and political turmoil outside. The finale in particular utilises the iconography of post-1979 Iran to incredible effect. Further proof that modern horror is in rude health.

After the Storm - Ugh, not another masterful character study from Hirokazu Kore-eda. Doesn't he get bored of just making the warmest, most human films around? The last hour - set during the eponymous storm - is magnificent even by his standards.

Your Name - The Japanese box office phenomenon from Makoto Shinkai is a definite crowdpleaser in both the positive and perjorative senses of the word. Make no mistake - this is unashamedly sentimental, the filmmaking methods (particularly the aggressively J-pop-rock soundtrack) determined to have you emoting as hard as possible. But despite its brute force approach, at its best its emotional earnestness, broad comedy and fantastical shenanigans are hard to resist. Shinkai's visual splendour remains undimmed, even if his storytelling lacks the nuance of his contemporaries like Mamoru Hosoda. Good to see it's getting a solid release in Ireland next month - refreshing to see a shorter gap between Japanese and Western release.

Personal Shopper - An assuredly idiosyncratic modern ghost story from Oliver Assayas. Takes a while to settle but plenty of moments of mysterious splendour when it does. Further proof that Kristen Stewart can and will act.

Raw - curious French film that flirts with being a horror film and coming-of-age drama but doesn't quite fit into any particular mould. Felt it lost its way a bit during its bloody final act, but for the most part this is a potent and darkly comic barrage of cannibalism, peer pressure and teenage rebellion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement