Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭gucci

Pat Shortt is such a weird one. You see things like Garage and Smalltown and realise he's quite a talented actor but then you see things like Killanaskully and nearly everything else ge does and wonder why?

I think its as you and others have said, horses for courses. He has to pay the bills!

I have had the luck of seeing Pat in stage plays as well as some of the better roles in movies like Garage and there is no doubt he is an incredible actor.

I have heard him speak before about Kilnaskully and how it more or less has a target audience and time of day that it is aimed at by RTE so he is restrained to the type of gags that will suit RTEs interpretation of who that is. Its not meant to be anything more or anything less. Not my cup of tea at all, but it seems to have been pretty well received by the powers that be.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

gucci wrote: »
    I have heard him speak before about Kilnaskully and how it more or less has a target audience and time of day that it is aimed at by RTE so he is restrained to the type of gags that will suit RTEs interpretation of who that is. Its not meant to be anything more or anything less. Not my cup of tea at all, but it seems to have been pretty well received by the powers that be.

It's like Mrs Brown's Boys, it proves there's an audience for that kind of humour, the same way there's an audience for things like The Big Bang Theory or something like The IT Crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Personal Shopper - An assuredly idiosyncratic modern ghost story from Oliver Assayas. Takes a while to settle but plenty of moments of mysterious splendour when it does. Further proof that Kristen Stewart can and will act.

Seems like Assayas has got a muse in Kristen Stewart. Can't wait for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

The Lives Of Others Beautiful film ....loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Finally got around to watching "The Guard" (2011)
    - €3 from the Chernobyl Children's shop.

Written and directed by John Michael McDonagh and showing the influences of his brother's award winning 2004 short "Six Shooter".

Completely surreal black comedy (with precious little comedy) about an attempt to import a huge consignment of drugs in the West of Ireland.

Brendan Gleeson stars as the local Garda Sergeant with a taste for hookers and cocaine, but who is one of the few good guys left. The entire Garda force in the area have been bought off by a local drugs cartel and it's down to Gleeson and his FBI buddy (Don Cheadle) to take the bad guys down. The Guard has it moments, but as so often with many recent movies the whole production is carried by the larger than life presence of Gleeson. 5/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

The_Greasy_Strangler_poster.jpg

The Greasy Strangler (2016)

If you don't think this is one of the best dark comedies ever, then you're a bullsh*t artist. Actually, I'm guessing most people will hate this, but I thought it was so unique and damn funny. So quotable, the whole film is very quotable. The music, images, and weirdness is staying in my mind hours after watching it. HOOTIE TOOTIE DISCO CUTIE!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Don't Breathe It has its moments, but overall it just left me feeling quite disappointed. It's more thriller than horror IMO, but again does that things that most modern horrors do and becomes predictable, stupid or awkwardly force in opening for a sequel - this does all of the above. I'm at the stage where I think if I want to ever watch a horror again I'll just stick on The Exorcist or The Omen to save myself from disappointment. 5/10.

Note: not one for continuity error spotters. I try not to but I can't help myself, it's a reflex action at this stage and this will keep you busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

Don't Breathe It has its moments, but overall it just left me feeling quite disappointed. It's more thriller than horror IMO, but again does that things that most modern horrors do and becomes predictable, stupid or awkwardly force in opening for a sequel - this does all of the above. I'm at the stage where I think if I want to ever watch a horror again I'll just stick on The Exorcist or The Omen to save myself from disappointment. 5/10.

Note: not one for continuity error spotters. I try not to but I can't help myself, it's a reflex action at this stage and this will keep you busy.
    Damn, i was looking forward to watching that movie as the previews looked good.it,s one of my rare forays into english language movies these days.i will probably give it a whirl over the weekend anyway.

Just finished watching the keeper of lost causes (2013) its a danish police drama basically about a homicide cop,i wont go into too much details but after an "incident" he ends up in the basement as basically a clerk filing old cold cases.this is the first part of a trilogy and if the next two parts are half as good as this one i will be happy.definitly recommended .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

The Young Offenders - I liked it, a nice light-hearted tale of two lovable rogues, that's it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

When I was growing up in the North West Of England, we were poor. Not that weird trendy kind of poor people seem to be into at the moment, but a lot of people living in a tiny house on a council estate. living on a single person's wages poor. Not that you're aware of being working class when you're a child mind, specially since my mum would never let us go out of the house dirty or without food or whatever we needed for the day. I was aware we weren't posh, we didn't have a lot of money, but I didn't realise we were 'working class' till I was about 15 or 16 years old.

I bring that up cos thats exactly what I, Daniel Blake reminds me of. Scraping by on nothing. Fighting against a system that claims to want to help you but in actuality, seems designed to make it so soul destroying that you give up trying to get help, and how community and the people around you are in the end, gonna be there for you when money isn't.

It's a real good un basically. I, Daniel Blake is a fantastic film. As not expected with a Ken Loach film, its difficult to watch, compelling as ****. a searing attack on the government's attempt to demonise people from claiming benefits and rights that they're entitled to, and a ringing endorsement for the welfare state. And a ferocious, well deserved attack on the tory government in England cos **** those guys.

Gripping from start to finish, fantastic acting from the two leads, sharp and sad, hopeful yet tinged with darkness, this was fab.

Lot of good films recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's generally difficult to wrong with a Ken Loach film. Good to hear he's still on top of his game.

One for the list so...

...the ever growing list.

Is it just me, or do you get to see everything you wanted to see when you were younger, but now can't find the time to do so?

Watched the second movie in that danish trilogy(see a few posts back) fasandraeberne aka the absent one (2014) the two dectives,carl and assad are still in dept Q ,the cold case section.its even better than the first one,gripping movie that commands your attention from start to finish.i am just about to watch the last movie in the series right now,cant wait.

Just finished watching the third movie,flaskepost fra ( a conspiracy of faith 2016).fantasic again,the two main characters are fantasic actors,i wont go into detail about their personalites because its kinda part of the movies.i havnt read the books the movies are based on so i cant compare,but these three movies are highly recommended.i hope they make a fourth.just to recap,the three movies are
    The keeper of lost causes (2013)
    The absent one (2014)
    A conspiracy of faith (2016)

Just on a lighter note,the main character, carl, is a dead ringer for andy from emmerdale!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭j.s. pill II

The Survivalist (2015)

Absolutely loved this one - and not just because of my own survivalist/hoarding tin of beans tendencies.

Very minimalist in terms of sets and dialogue but thoroughly engaging.

One slight, slight criticism:
    The ending is pretty much exactly the same as The Road, from which comparisons are inevitably going to be drawn. Ah well. Better than having yer wan eaten by cannibals I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Swiss Army Man

Silly and childish hipster nonsense. The soundtrack and all that kind of almost fake blis life insurance style advert sequences were awful.

Radcliffe was pretty good in it as a dead guy though. Still sh1te though.

Turned it off after twenty minutes. Garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Nude Nuns with Big Guns
    10348985-1403020691-461383.jpg

I've had this on my PVR for years and have avoided it until tonight. Truly awful, but in a weirdly entertaining way. So bad it's almost good, it's Grindhouse in every way...and it is cheap. Imagine if Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez had a child. This would be that child's first foray into movie making, albeit in armed with only an iPhone a Nokia, and a script from the people who write Fair City. If you were to take a shot of alcohol every time there was a nod (intentional or otherwise) to a QT/RR movie, you'd be shltfaced 5 minutes in. It had some potential, and while I'll never watch it again in a funny way I'm glad I watched it. 5/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Tony EH wrote: »
    It's generally difficult to wrong with a Ken Loach film. Good to hear he's still on top of his game.

One for the list so...

...the ever growing list.

Is it just me, or do you get to see everything you wanted to see when you were younger, but now can't find the time to do so?

I know the feels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

small_fdce5fb5904fb2c57bb87004f85c2f61-nerve-poster.jpg
    Emma Roberts and Dave Franco leading what seemed to be a moderately large release for the summer in the US. The general lack of marketability of the whole thing immediately grabbed my interest, the not-wholly negative reception hooked me.

Actually pretty fun for the first two thirds. It's kind of a modern hackers or stranger things in that the logic of the whole thing is a lot closer to what could be real and has a better grasp on how the medium has evolved but is still ludicrously contrived. Gets by on its pacing alone for the first while, and the two leads are actually pretty great together.

Falls apart in the final act altogether but definitely a good bit of mindless viewing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭s8n

The Survivalist (2015)

Absolutely loved this one - and not just because of my own survivalist/hoarding tin of beans tendencies.

Very minimalist in terms of sets and dialogue but thoroughly engaging.

One slight, slight criticism:
    The ending is pretty much exactly the same as The Road, from which comparisons are inevitably going to be drawn. Ah well. Better than having yer wan eaten by cannibals I suppose.

Great movie, one of my favs this year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

12 Angry Men (1957)

Can't believe I have only seen this film now .

Great film, really engaging throughout

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Contender for the best film of it's decade IMO.

12 Angry Men (1957)

Can't believe I have only seen this film now .

Great film, really engaging throughout
    Theres a HBO remake about 20 years ago thats well worth a watch with an all star cast http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118528/

Nixon 1995 - I think this is my favorite film, watched the 3 and a half hour directors cut last night. Its an incredible piece of filmmaking matched with Hopkins best career performance. Its an editing assault of information, history, and character., and perhaps Stones best film. Everything about it from the script, to the post production is flawless, and there is almost half a dozen movies inside it. Theres a variety of outstanding performances, the type Stone got from his actors when he was ruthless on set. I get the feeling he hasn't been that way in a while. Sorvino as Kissenger, Woods and Halderman, Hoskins and Hoover, and Allen has his wife Buddy, all outstanding.
    Having seen Snowden recently and comparing that to Nixon, I've decided that Stone excels more when he is dealing with something more historical then something modern. He tries to hard to be 'cool' and capture trendy things, and its just not his thing. Snowden was disjointed, lacking continuity and not up the Stone standard. His filmmaking excels when he is looking back with a more cynical and developed theory. Another thing is Snowden is a boring guy without charisma, where as Stones best work comes on topics with very charismatic people. I hope its not his last film as he's getting older now, he says it might be.

Can't seem to edit back this double post...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) Dir Wes Anderson

A delight. Fragrant, wonderful, charming, humane, poignant.

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) Dir Wes Anderson

A delight. Fragrant, wonderful, charming, humane, poignant.

Fantastic film, thanks for reminding me - must re watch :)

Theres a HBO remake about 20 years ago thats well worth a watch with an all star cast http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118528/

Nixon 1995 - I think this is my favorite film, watched the 3 and a half hour directors cut last night. Its an incredible piece of filmmaking matched with Hopkins best career performance. Its an editing assault of information, history, and character., and perhaps Stones best film. Everything about it from the script, to the post production is flawless, and there is almost half a dozen movies inside it. Theres a variety of outstanding performances, the type Stone got from his actors when he was ruthless on set. I get the feeling he hasn't been that way in a while. Sorvino as Kissenger, Woods and Halderman, Hoskins and Hoover, and Allen has his wife Buddy, all outstanding.
    Having seen Snowden recently and comparing that to Nixon, I've decided that Stone excels more when he is dealing with something more historical then something modern. He tries to hard to be 'cool' and capture trendy things, and its just not his thing. Snowden was disjointed, lacking continuity and not up the Stone standard. His filmmaking excels when he is looking back with a more cynical and developed theory. Another thing is Snowden is a boring guy without charisma, where as Stones best work comes on topics with very charismatic people. I hope its not his last film as he's getting older now, he says it might be.

Can't seem to edit back this double post...

Thanks a lot ill give that remake a watch - William Friedkin directs :) .. hmmmm ...

Also, need to check out Nixon ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Nothing but a Man
    Wow, the way people went on about this film for being progressive for 1963, I honestly expected it to be way less head on about stuff. Ultimately it's still a bit dated but it's bloody impressive artefact.

The Dark Horse
    One of those (seemingly) very many New Zealand that are able to get by on an onslaught of charming performances from the cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,982 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Last night I watched Mike And Dave Need Wedding Dates, that's the kind of mood I was in. Good fun overall. The makers clearly knew that at least some parts of it had to follow the "growing up" formula, and just pushed straight through. Aubrey Plaza is the standout here, not just deliciously warped but also with a great feel for physical comedy. (They had stunt people for the big stunts, of course.)

giphy.gif

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

36 Hours (1965)
    A WW2 drama with James Garner based on a short story by Roald Dahl. The allies are planning the Normandy landings and the Germans are trying to figure out exactly where the strike will happen. James Garner is an intelligence officer with a German informant in Lisbon, but the German's turn the tables on him to learn the allies' plans. Works very well for the first 3/4, but turns into standard WW2 film for the ending. The Prisoner TV series has a similar premise and the film works best during these parts. The ending feels like a let down.

I think Scotty from Star Trek has a 2 second role near the start. Never seen him in anything other than Star Trek.

• Advertisement

Spectre

As a stand alone film it's quite good, but these modern James Bond films aren't Bond movies for me ... they just don't have the atmosphere.
    Also they take themselves too seriously, Bond needs humour and cheesy humour at that !

Bring back Roger Moore :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement