Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Die Hard

I mean, come on. It was Christmas yesterday :D

Brent - Life on the Road

I enjoy The Office and Brent in general, but Jesus Christ I was cringing so hard watching this movie. Brent is Brent x 100 in it.
    It's not going to set the world alight but I enjoyed it none the less. Two scenes really struck me in the movie. I'll put them in spoilers as they are pivotal scenes too.
    When David rings his friend in the office and tells him he's depressed, I was like, Jesus, I wasn't expecting that

Also when all the lads have a pint with him at the end, and he just has the biggest smile on his face because that's all he wanted all along.

One thing that annoyed me was how he never stands up to Jezza in the job, yet had no problem telling Finch to **** off in the series.

6/10 (purely cos I'm a fan)

Non fans will just be looking going - WTF is this???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Christmas Day viewing "Extremely Dangerous" (1999) - a four part TV mini-series on YouTube.

Sean Bean plays a former British intelligence officer imprisoned for the murder of his wife and four year old daughter. He escapes during a routine prison transfer and goes on the hunt for those that fitted him up. Good realistic plot and plenty of action. If you like Sean Bean you'll like this. 8/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

Silenced (2011)
    I am shattered after watching this movie.i dont do arty farty over complicated or pretentious reviews of movies,so the basic synopsis is that its the true story about a school for deaf and mute kids in korea who are sexually abused and beaten senseless.a new teacher arrives and discovers what is going on and him and a human rights activist from the city go about looking for justice.what unfolds in the 2 hours of this movie will crush you! I have seen many hard hitting movies in my time but this one is in a different league.its the first movie,and im not ashamed to say it,that i have actually cried watching it.i am not exagerating when i say this movie will break the hardest of hearts and is definitly not for the faint hearted.i normally judge a movie on the story,acting etc,but also on the emotional impact it has on me.i know that this movie will stay with me for days,but dont trust my opinion,i urge any movie fan to watch this,i guarentee it will impact you for a long time.theres a great score too which adds to the emotion of the story( at times its hard to believe its a true story).sorry the long winded review,but i am genuinely shattered after seeing this amazing movie
    The easiest 10/10 ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Nocturnal Animals. Very good noir-ish thriller/drama. Slightly odd/confusing nonlinear narrative to it but it's got the tone right if you're into dark and bleak films set in the middle of Nowhere USA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

8.5/10

I was sick of watching this movie when I was growing up in the 80's. It was on every xmas like a tired record.
    Hadn't seen it though for a long time as I don't watch much TV but I came across it on the TV the other day.

It is one of those movies that is for a child but totally watchable as an adult.
    I don't know who wrote it be they had some imagination, that's for sure.
    Gene Wilder is a gem in this movie. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Watched 2 movies tonight. The 2 of them are total switch off your brain type films.
    Hitman Agent 47. Sure it was grand. Better than the first one which was a steaming pile of horsecrap
    John Wick. Good to see Keanu in a decent film again. Looking forward to the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

learn_more wrote: »

8.5/10

I was sick of watching this movie when I was growing up in the 80's. It was on every xmas like a tired record.
    Hadn't seen it though for a long time as I don't watch much TV but I came across it on the TV the other day.

It is one of those movies that is for a child but totally watchable as an adult.

One of those films that never gets old. I can watch it any time...and often do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Why Him?

Why Him? Why did I watch this awful, puerile, crass rubbish more like? (chortle)

It quite honestly baffles me why so many comedies, and so American comedies come to think of it, are so awful. Mistaking swearing, 'riffing', crass horrible toilet and sexual humour for funny comedy.

The set up is something so dull I can hardly remember it. Something about Bryan Cranston owning a printing company and his daughter living with a tech millionaire played by James Franco who is really loud and sweary and them two having to work out their various 'hilarious' differences.

But also, not hilarious. The acting is awful. It all looks horrible. It has a couple of horrible celebrity cameos which fall flat as a pancake. The humour is, as mentioned, dull, puerile, crass. I think I laughed exactly once.

Ugh, I'm so sick of bad comedies. Honestly, there's nothing I like better than good comedy, but the latest string of comedies I've seen have been just awful. Roll on 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

8.5/10

Great film it's actually not Christmas until I come across one of the channels showing it! Maybe it's because it brings me back to the christmases of my childhood but it's a timeless classic!
    Which reminds me that I will never forgive Tim Burton and Johnny Depp for that godawful remake!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

8.5/10

Are you being serious here when you say you don't know who wrote it?

I hated this film when I was a kid and still do now. I believe Roald Dahl hated it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

I too watched Willy Wonka recently. It's fine for a bit of nostalgia especially as it's not a CGI fest. I hadn't seen it in years mind.

Also watched that Frankenheimer film The Train. Very good. I missed the philosophical undertones but the action was great. I like train movies - this, Runaway Train and Unstoppable are all well worth a watch.

Saw another Frankenheimer film - Black Sunday. It's a 70s political thriller loosely based on a Palestinian organisation which carried out assassination.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Started Planet Terror last night (recorded it a few days ago when it was on Film4). Watched about 40 minutes of it and stopped. Unsure whether to finish it or not .....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jh79

quickbeam wrote: »
    Started Planet Terror last night (recorded it a few days ago when it was on Film4). Watched about 40 minutes of it and stopped. Unsure whether to finish it or not .....

Watch the double bill with Death Proof , the shorter edits suit both films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Where Eagles Dare - well it is Christmas! Dunno why Burton's character didn't just finish off the spies at the dinner table, it would have saved him so much bother on the cable car later! ;) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Watched half of Collateral Beauty in the cinema on Wednesday. I can't remember the last time I left a cinema before a movie had ended but this was absolutely awful. So many good actors in it too.... it was like they were convinced to star in this after a conversation in a bar. Avoid at all costs, I normally would at least google an unknown movie before booking but I thought with the 5+ star actors that it would be at least decent... awful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

jh79 wrote: »
    Watch the double bill with Death Proof , the shorter edits suit both films.
    Can you get the shorter edits anywhere still? I'd watch Death Proof if it was a bit shorter at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jh79

Can you get the shorter edits anywhere still? I'd watch Death Proof if it was a bit shorter at least.

I have it on Bluray a good while ,Amazon have it still .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Finished Planet Terror this morning. Glad I did, second half had fewer truly gory moments than the first, or maybe I was used to them by then. But jeeze!! I'm usually okay with zombie films. Overall though it was as stupid as it was meant to be, and I mean that as a compliment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Collateral beauty

This has been getting a tonne of sh1t in the press. Total bomb in the states and an RT score of 13%. So I shouldnt have touched this with a barge pole, but yet i still i found myself sitting in screen 5 in rathmines on one of those christmas days when there aint much else to do but go see a movie. And im glad i did because i liked this, its most definitely not worthy of all the derison its recieved. Yes the screen play needed to be tighter, a lot tighter. And at times it doesnt know if its a drama or a comedy. But that aside at its heart there is some good stuff going on here and it is genuinely moving at times. I can see why its been given crap reviews, but for me personally it did hit me in the feels and if a film does that then its job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Passengers.
    Terrible, nauseatingly over romantic, basically it's The Notebook in space. I should have researched it before but thought If it's Sci-Fi it can't be too bad how wrong I was the Sci-Fi elements are also rubbish, The storyline line is completely predictable, Fans of romance films may enjoy it but otherwise avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,982 ✭✭✭✭bnt

After Notting Hill, Love Actually was on TV, and I'd never seen it, so I recorded it, and can now say that I have seen it.
    I thought the kid who played Liam Neeson's son looked familiar, and only just realised I'd seen him in Game of Thrones.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I watched Poison Pen last night. It was on UTV Ireland.

I remember hearing about this when they were filming it but then it just seemed to disappear, so I wasn't expecting great things. It actually wasn't too bad. It's a pretty standard Rom Com plot and most of it was filmed in Dublin but I think it was supposed to be set in London, so it's a bit confusing at times, plus I think the entire cast is Irish (and most of them were on Love/Hate at some point) but bar one they're all doing English accents with varying levels of success. That aside the two leads are decent and Lachlan O'Mearán is pretty charming and delivers a lot of the humour quite naturally.

All in all though it wasn't a bad little film. Not sure I'd say go and track it down but if it happened to be on again there are worse things you could watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Dangerous Liaisons

Broke this out last night for a rewatch (first time in years), but first time on Blu Ray. I first saw this (underage I might add!) in the cinema on release in 1989 and it blew me away at the time as up to then my experience of period dramas were boring in the extreme. Simply outstanding performances from the leads Glenn Close and Jon Malkovich in particular, ably supported by Michelle Pfeiffer. The overall casting is excellent with the only mis-step being Keanu Reeves who at times you feel thinks he's in one of the time travelling scnes from Bill & Ted. The plot is layered, deeply cruel and deceitful (yet has some comedic elements), the dialogue is sharp and clever (and riddled with innuendo), the costumes and sets are stunning, but there's a depth to it that I feel is often overlooked. The delicate glances between Malkovich and Pfeiffer in one scene in particular whilst being observed by Close remains for me one of the best "unspoken" scenes in cinema. Indeed there are many scenes where Close in particular dominates with just her presence, or a simple look. It seems amazing she's never won a Best Actress Oscar but she did deserve one for this (It went to Jodie Foster for her role in "The Accused" that year"). It's one of my all time favourite films so I'm biased but for me it's a 9/10. Side note: had never noticed before now that Malkovich's aide was a young Peter Capaldi (not a Dr. Who fan) - it was funny because as I sat down to watch it I was saying to myself "I wonder whatever happened to the Scottish actor that was in it".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Oh look a gorgeous looking, emotionally touching, well told story by Raymond Briggs. What a shocker.

Seriously though, Ethel & Ernest is pretty fantastic. It's not showy, flashy, or even telling an eventful story. As it tells us itself at the beginning, its not exciting, its just the story of two people, and that is just fine.

Ethel & Ernest meet in London in 1928, marry, buy a house, live in house till they died in the early 1970's, have a son, don't go abroad, only leave London once.

That's it. Really. The key of course, is how its told. It's absolutely beautiful, for one, the animation is outstanding. The voice acting is bang on. For an uneventful life, its pretty damn engaging and eventful. In paticular, the turmoil our little family goes through in the second world war, centred around a small London suburb, is told incredibly well and really is gripping. It's also not as not a fantasty perfect marriage, and neither character is forced into stereotypical roles, which gives them depth without overwrought exposition. Fantastic.

What else do you need? Well told, beautiful story, with fantastic voice acting and animation. Fabulous from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭briany

Twin Peaks: The Missing Pieces (2014)

This 'film' is really a collection of deleted/extended scenes, mainly from Fire Walk with Me, but also one or two from the series.

I liked it, but only because I've seen both Twin Peaks and the accompanying feature film. Because it's all leftover material, no-one should go into it expecting that the material presented makes much logical sense, but if you enjoy David Lynch's style it's definitely a nice discovery. It's the nearest we'll get to a proper outing between his last feature release and the upcoming Twin Peaks continuation.

Also, I don't know why these scenes were deleted, really. Some of them are very effective, and even the more shallow ones add depth to the characters and their relationship.

As an example,

Chilling :

Funny :

briany wrote: »
    Twin Peaks: The Missing Pieces (2014)

This 'film' is really a collection of deleted/extended scenes, mainly from Fire Walk with Me, but also one or two from the series.

I liked it, but only because I've seen both Twin Peaks and the accompanying feature film. Because it's all leftover material, no-one should go into it expecting that the material presented makes much logical sense, but if you enjoy David Lynch's style it's definitely a nice discovery. It's the nearest we'll get to a proper outing between his last feature release and the upcoming Twin Peaks continuation.

Also, I don't know why these scenes were deleted, really. Some of them are very effective, and even the more shallow ones add depth to the characters and their relationship.

As an example,

Chilling :

Funny :

Would be really interested in seeing that - is it all on youtube?

EDIT: I've just seen it's on the Blu Ray Release (which I have but have yet to get around to.....d'oh)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I have a fanedit of "The Missing Pieces" edited back into Fire Walk With Me, it's 3 and a half hours long, and in 1080p Blu-ray quality. I haven't actually watched it yet, as I'm waiting to rewatch the whole series before the new season. I'm looking forward to watching this fanedit then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

The girl with all the gifts.

Read the book and it was brilliant. I thought.

Halfway though the film and its suspense/scary thrill ride.

Well worth looking up.

adverts.ie if you want to keep it local. I even see a limited Grindhouse Blu ray (inc. Death Proof + Planet Terror)

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_death+proof/

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_planet+terror/

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_grindhouse/

Back to movies...

Nocturnal Animals On paper, something I thought I'd love - modern take on noir directed by stylish fashion designer with some actors I quite like. It was meh, all over the place and ultimately very much not the sum of its parts. 4.5/10.

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    'Silkwood'

6/10

Fairly entertaining, but ultimately unappealing drama about Karen Silkwood, a nuclear plant employee who acted as a whistleblower to the AEC about her companies' dangerous work conditions and lack of concern for dodgy materials. Her death under, possibly, suspicious circumstances acts as a hanging conclusion. A great performance by the "best actress of her generation", Meryl Streep, is supported by a functional Cher, Craig T. Nelson and Kurt Russell in post 'The Thing' mode. There's also a whole host of "oh there's that guy" actors playing background characters. Worth a look.

'Hell or High Water'

8.5/10

One of the best films of 2016, that few people have heard of. Why this died at the BO (relatively speaking) is a bit of a mystery. It's a great little film, excellently acted - even by Chris Pine, who I have little time for - with an interesting and tight story. It goes a little ballistic at the end, but remains forgivable and there's another brilliant turn from Jeff Bridges.

Have Silkwood on DVD for at least 10+ years I'd imagine and haven't ever gotten around to watching it, must do it someday.

Surprised you had missed HOHW until now Tony (that said, I only saw it a few weeks ago myself)! One of the highlights of 2016 for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement