Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Notes On A Scandal

A criminally underrated gem. The basic premise is that an ageing school teacher from London befriends a younger, bohemian art teacher. The art teacher begins having an affair with a 15 year old schoolboy to which the ageing teacher is privy and obviously the resultant scandal in the media when the story leaks.

But this is so much more. The acting turns from Judi Dench and Cate Blanchett are superb, as are supporting roles from Bill Nighy, Andrew Simpson and Phil Davis (in a small role as another teacher who is in love with Blanchett's character). The light, yet unnerving, score from Philip Glass sets the tone perfectly.

In the annals of cinema history, when it comes to naming its most sinister villains, none could be more sinister, frightening and genuine than Barbara Covett (Dench); a bitter, twisted woman who is a scheming, Machievellian psychopath who will use anyone to get what she wants. Hints at suppressed lesbianism abound, and if one dares to delve into the psychology of the character and if you read between the lines, we can see what a horrid life she has led until now. But she is also the architect of this; she is a cold, horrible, condescending person. She deserves to be alone, and yet... it is hard sometimes to not have sympathy for her. She is also a subtle character; no other character can convey more emotion with a single withering look or with a single, haughty re-adjustment of her handbag strap as 'Babs' Covett.

Put simply, this subtle and understated film (adapted from a Man Booker Prize winning novel) is superb in all areas. It also tackles a very contemporary issue of teachers seducing their students (and sometimes vice-versa), and does so masterfully.

Not easy to watch at times, but well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

Puppet Master III: Toulon's Revenge (Video 1991)

I was hoping this was going to be Sequel to the Second, which kind of make the end of part useless.

This movie now prequel and back in 40's or 50's when there a war going on.

I liked the fact we get see how some Puppets came to mind however this movie were I think they lose there Creepy factor.

The plot was decent, it flowed really well thoughtout the movie, there were some bloodly moment but nothing to gory.

The acting wasn't to be in this movie, it's can be wooden now and again, I thought it was decent

I give this movie 5 out of 10, Same and the first one, I don't think it was good as the second one.

Puppet Master 4 (Video 1993)
    I thought this was best one yet, (No, I am not Drunk lol ) I really enjoyed this one the most.

I had fun of start to end of this movie, it's started of as Cheese as you can get,
    in the underworld of Hell (It''s kind of reminds of old Power ranger shows I used to watch when I was kid lol ) , the demon Sutekh send to of Totems which really nasty little creatures

Rick Myers who ends up coming cross the Puppets and then bring they back for his own entertainment.

Soon the puppets turn good and defend the Humans against the Totems and battle break with Blade and one of Creature.

I love Jester face kepts changing in fight scenes, I found it's really funny, I think could of helped that if thee kids in this movie instead of Adults.

I can see why not many people like this movie, there was really limited on on kill scenes, there not many bloody moment.

Some of the acting in this movie, as got to be worse anything in this series so. I think lead guy the only you acting didn't not bother me.

Overall going to give this a 6 out of 10 (I was going give 7 but I was hoping of for more gore)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Anyone seen Killing them softly with Brad Pitt yet ?

Yes, saw it a couple of nights ago - if you like Pulp Fiction style black comedy its right up your street. James Gandolfini steals the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

DazMarz wrote: »
    Notes On A Scandal

A criminally underrated gem. The basic premise is that an ageing school teacher from London befriends a younger, bohemian art teacher. The art teacher begins having an affair with a 15 year old schoolboy to which the ageing teacher is privy and obviously the resultant scandal in the media when the story leaks.

But this is so much more. The acting turns from Judi Dench and Cate Blanchett are superb, as are supporting roles from Bill Nighy, Andrew Simpson and Phil Davis (in a small role as another teacher who is in love with Blanchett's character). The light, yet unnerving, score from Philip Glass sets the tone perfectly.

In the annals of cinema history, when it comes to naming its most sinister villains, none could be more sinister, frightening and genuine than Barbara Covett (Dench); a bitter, twisted woman who is a scheming, Machievellian psychopath who will use anyone to get what she wants. Hints at suppressed lesbianism abound, and if one dares to delve into the psychology of the character and if you read between the lines, we can see what a horrid life she has led until now. But she is also the architect of this; she is a cold, horrible, condescending person. She deserves to be alone, and yet... it is hard sometimes to not have sympathy for her. She is also a subtle character; no other character can convey more emotion with a single withering look or with a single, haughty re-adjustment of her handbag strap as 'Babs' Covett.

Put simply, this subtle and understated film (adapted from a Man Booker Prize winning novel) is superb in all areas. It also tackles a very contemporary issue of teachers seducing their students (and sometimes vice-versa), and does so masterfully.

Not easy to watch at times, but well worth it.

It was well received when it appeared in Cinemas in both Britain and Ireland.

Lions for Lambs (2007) dir. Robert Redford.
    Three pairs of characters in three different locations discuss motivation, current war in Afghanistan and other stuff. Tom Cruise (US Senator) and Meryl Streep, Robert Redford (Univ. tutor) and Andrew Garfield (student), Michael Peña (US military) and Derek Luke (US military).

The wooden two-dimensional US Senator character fits Tom Cruise very well and of the dialogues the conversation with Meryl Streep is the best by far (Casting by Avy Kaufman (imdb)). I would have preferred if Enron and Arthur Andersson was mentioned a better connection made with global economy.

But that's not the worst of it. I have a major problem that all Afghanistan characters are malevolent toward Americans. All of them violent and mono-syllabic. This is a pure Racism. It could have been avoided. If writer Robert Redford wanted to have a conversation between two US personnel in fixed confined location. he could have a military lawyer talking with a defendant who has between accused of throwing a grenade in amongst his colleagues or a defendant accused of murdering whole families of Afgans. Or a conversation about the one or several instances of Suicide amongst serving US military personnel.
    Why does it have to be rude about an entire country?

From the US the best film I seen on 'understanding' the wars is Valley of Elah (2007) dir P. Harris. Tommy Lee Jones, Susan Sarandon, Charlize Theron.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Take Shelter

I don't usually post in here, more of a browser, but I had to write about this. Best film I've seen this year. Didn't know what to expect as I had never heard of it until someone mentioned in here and I hadn't watched any trailers on it, but I thought it was excellent. Everything about it was brilliant. I never really liked Michael Shannon and he kind of put me off watching it but it was one of the best acting performances I've seen in a few years. Really loved this and would recommend it to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Anyone seen Killing them softly with Brad Pitt yet ?

Yeah, have a look at the thread:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80031900

Not as good as I had hoped. Some very good parts but overall very inconsistent. Gandolfini's character should have been cut out altogether imo, killed the film for me. THe heavy handed social commentary seemed a bit misplaced to me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

hefferboi wrote: »
    Take Shelter
    Really loved this and would recommend it to anyone.

Cool, I have this ordered from xtravision so glad to hear it was enjoyed.

I watched Dark City last night. Class sci-fi movie with a good concept. Gets a bit cheesy towards the end, but it's forgivable. The bald teeth-chattering villains were brilliantly creepy. There is a scene with Jennifer Connolly that I think Aronofsky makes a nod towards in Requiem two years later. Very similar if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭Technocentral

hefferboi wrote: »
    Take Shelter

I don't usually post in here, more of a browser, but I had to write about this. Best film I've seen this year. Didn't know what to expect as I had never heard of it until someone mentioned in here and I hadn't watched any trailers on it, but I thought it was excellent. Everything about it was brilliant. I never really liked Michael Shannon and he kind of put me off watching it but it was one of the best acting performances I've seen in a few years. Really loved this and would recommend it to anyone.

Absolutely fantastic film, couldn't recommend it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭rednik

Total Recall 2012. Rented the blu ray and the audio dropouts ruined the movie.

Lawless, rented this as well and really enjoyed it. Good performances all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Love.net - A Bulgarian film about a series of people turning to internet to find other people be it for love or (for the most part in this movie) sex. Overall I found it to be worth a watch and entertaining. Had it delved into some of the themes (dangers of the internet, why does it seem everyone in this movie is turning to the internet...) it could have been so much better however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

Retro Puppet Master (Video 1999)

This is seventh movies in series, however this was a prequel to 1991's Puppet Master III: Toulon's Revenge, Which was also prequel to the first movie.

Sutekh has given life to three of his oldest servants and who start killing people by saying die

they are after secret of life that the master as.
    I found really how people are killed of in this movie, Servants say Die, then people just drop dead,

This was very slow, it's stay one stage never seem go on to next lever, it's felt one very long scene

The acting was very wooden in this movie, this was very flat,
    This movie had no gore and toys didn't even attack until near the end however we do find out why the Puppet start to Kill.

3 out of 10,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Moon just now, can;t talk about it though or I'll give the central idea away, but I will say this

IN SPACE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM, OR ANY OTHER SOUNDS :mad:

Why go to so much trouble to create a plausible environment and then mess that aspect up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

mike65 wrote: »
    Moon just now, can;t talk about it though or I'll give the central idea away, but I will say this

Why go to so much trouble to create a plausible environment and then mess that aspect up.

Damn BBC really need to come up with a BBC+1 channel was looking forward to this all day after the recommend a movie thread, never set it to record then fell asleep nuts :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭McGrath5

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Well this one lived up to the hype imo. I was kind of thinking it would be a long 2 hours 30 minutes in the cinema, but boy did the time fly by. Thoroughly enjoyed this film, and I am very much looking forward to the next installment. 8/10.

Killing them softly

A film dragged up to a okay standard by the scruff of its neck by the naturally talented Ray Liotta, Richard Jenkins & James Gandolfini.
    A pity it seemed to never get of the ground, and what those political sound bites from Bush and Obama where doing in it, I have no idea. 5/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Inbred, wow what a gore fest, one crazy and sick film, I enjoyed it though, special effects are very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"Cracks" (2009) on DVD. I had been saving this for a special occasion but failing the appearance of one I watched it last night.
    Sexual tensions in an elite girls boarding school. Set in England but shot in Dublin and Wicklow - Ireland never looked better. Some of the movie was filmed at my old school and this was my primary reason for the purchase. At 100 minutes the movie doesn't drag in the least and keeps on going right until the credits roll.
    Think "Lord of the Rings" in more civilized surroundings and you just about have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭s8n

Watched the man from nowhere last night on US Netflix (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1527788/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1) Highly recommend.

Watched Skyfall. Judi Dench and Daniel Craig are a great double act. Javier Bardem was useless as the villain. Should be in the Rocky Horror Picture Show with all that gurning. Apart from him, it worked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeh...but, like....it's the future...ya know?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Top Gun, had never seen it, pretty much avoided it but my defenses were down due to prodigious consumption of alcohol over the festive period.

Vapid, 80's crap of the worst kind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Birneybau wrote: »
    Top Gun, had never seen it, pretty much avoided it but my defenses were down due to prodigious consumption of alcohol over the festive period.

Thats kinda the point though

krudler wrote: »

Agreed. I don't think Tony Scott was aiming for an existentialist exploration of air combat. More like - lets blow some s**t up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Agreed. I don't think Tony Scott was aiming for an existentialist exploration of air combat. More like - lets blow some s**t up!!!

With added homoerotic beach volleyball scenes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Contagion - rounding up a staggered viewing of Soderbergh's 2011/12 trilogy. I know the three films - Magic Mike, Haywire and this - split audiences between cautious praise and outright hostility, but I liked all three despite their undeniable quirks and annoyances. Here, I think Soderbergh's completely clinical presentation is intriguing. Not amazing or anything, but I liked catching glimpses of the effect of the epidemic through very different characters' eyes. We've seen countless disaster films with everyman protagonists - this mixed it up. And while there were serious credibility issues when it came to individual's actions (especially in an overly sentimental third act) there was something geekily thrilling about watching the social and scientific progress as pandemonium and uncertainty set in. Pacing wise, I enjoyed it too, the escalation well-handled and the chronological jumps relatively elegant. Liked how much stuff we picked up through throwaway comments, although there were a handful of clunky exposition sequences.

There are too many characters, though, and some outright duds - have no idea what the overall point of Jude Law's poorly acted character was, never seemed to settle despite presenting intriguing ideas. Thought the star-studden ensemble generally did a decent job, although Winslet and Wahlberg probably had the best material to work with.

I think Soderbergh is well beyond making great films at this point in his arguably over-prolific career - there's something ramshackle about his work, and even in his better work there's a sense of promise unfulfilled. But he makes consistently interesting and distinctive films, which is IMO the next best thing, and a trait most high-profile Hollywood directors do not share.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭Technocentral

That was Simpsons/Brucheiemer thing with all their 80s films, a sad reflection of Reagan's America at the time. That film in particular was basically a recruitment tool for the US military, awful stuff.

I think Soderbergh is well beyond making great films at this point in his arguably over-prolific career - there's something ramshackle about his work, and even in his better work there's a sense of promise unfulfilled. But he makes consistently interesting and distinctive films, which is IMO the next best thing, and a trait most high-profile Hollywood directors do not share.

I'm as big a Soderbergh fan as you will meet but I really do beleive that he's stopped caring about the films he makes. Much like Samuel L. Jackson, Soderbergh seems to just like making films and hanging around on sets with his friends. And as long as he continues to make such interesting if flawed films I'll be perfectly happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Burn After Reading

Got a Coen Brothers 5 film set and put this one on first as I thought it would be one of the weaker films having never seen it before but I must say I really enjoyed it.

Great acting from all the leads (although a little bit of overacting from John Malkovich at times if I'm being harsh) and some fun plot twists and laughs, I would recommend this one to anyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

only needs a medium such as air as inside the helmet or in the base in which they were helmetless. Really they were on the dark side of the moon which blocks communications to earth as it cannot travel as it never faces earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

krudler wrote: »

I know that was the point but still.

That volleyball scene, jeez.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I know that was the point but still.

That volleyball scene, jeez.

I often wonder about Top Gun, it's considered camp fun nowadays by most but when it was released did guys think it was cool? I mean the volleyball scene is ridiculous, you'd never get away with putting that in your military films nowadays.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement