Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

bbari wrote: »
    Guys,
    Any recommendation on movies about World War, Russian, German/European history please ? TIA

Are you looking for documentary style things or historical fiction sort of things?

If it's fiction you're after Generation War is worth checking out. It's a mini series rather than a film but it's excellent There's a film called Lore which is also worth watching. It's told from the point of view of the daughter of a high ranking Nazi officer in the imidiate aftermath of WW2.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Are you looking for documentary style things or historical fiction sort of things?

If it's fiction you're after Generation War is worth checking out. It's a mini series rather than a film but it's excellent There's a film called Lore which is also worth watching. It's told from the point of view of the daughter of a high ranking Nazi officer in the imidiate aftermath of WW2.

Thank you. I watched Generation War after its was recommended earlier in this thread, it was pretty good. I will get Lore. Watched Child 44 last night and it was good. Any recommendation along these lines will be great. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Guys,
    Any recommendation on movies about World War, Russian, German/European history please ? TIA

"Enemy at the Gates" is a classic if you're interested in the Russian/German segment of WW.II.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Guys,

I watched "Anthropoid" recently, It's about a small group of spys and their resistance to the Nazis in Czechoslovakia during WW2. It's not really a war movie in the traditional sense but I would recommend it if you are interested in the genre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Downfall. A billion online parody videos were spawned by one particular scene, but forget all that - this is a great film, with a powerful central performance from Bruno Ganz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Guys,

The 'Liberation' film series is quite good and surprisingly well balanced. 'I Fought for the Motherland' is also a good account from the Russian side.

On the German side, although it's not the Russian Front 'Das Boot' remains the best WWII film ever made. 'Stalingrad' is pretty good too. 'Cross of Iron' has alot to offer as well.

You can count the number of good war films on two hands. The number of films about the Russian Front is limited even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

Pearl Harbour ;)

What about those two Client Eastwood movies, Flags of our Fathers is from the USA perspective and Letters from Iwo Jima is from Japanese perspective. I haven't seen either of those but I have been told they are good, especially Letters from Iwo Jima.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭droidman123

If theres a hell below us (2016)
    I dont normally review crap movies i have watched and i wont start now with this pile of horse manure. Complete waste of 1hr 34 minutes.the writer/director,nathan williams tried to be too clever and failed.avoid.
    2/10 (i gave it a 2 because of the good cinematography,some nice scenery in rural washington,but thats about it)

Another docu-drama tonight and I hadn't intended to stick with it but found it compulsive viewing.

"Battle of Hong Kong - A Savage Christmas 1941" (1992) on YouTube.

A little known campaign of WW.II. due it taking place in the same month as Pearl Harbour. Two thousand poorly trained Canadian soldiers were volunteered by their Government to put on a show of force in Hong Kong to deter a Japanese invasion. With no air or naval support the outcome against a numerically superior force of 50,000+ battle hardened Japanese soldiers was never in doubt. Worth a watch.

Tony EH wrote: »
    The 'Liberation' film series is quite good and surprisingly well balanced. 'I Fought for the Motherland' is also a good account from the Russian side.

On the German side, although it's not the Russian Front 'Das Boot' remains the best WWII film ever made. 'Stalingrad' is pretty good too. 'Cross of Iron' has alot to offer as well.

You can count the number of good war films on two hands. The number of films about the Russian Front is limited even further.

Battle for Sevastepol is pretty decent about a decorated female sniper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,493 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Never got round to watching Deadpool, as I am not particularly a fan of comic book films, Marvel or the like.

But was I surprised! Excellent film, very funny, different, a real adult film.

Battle for Sevastepol is pretty decent about a decorated female sniper

Have it there. But haven't watched it yet. Saw the first ten minutes or so, but it looked fairly typical of modern Russian war films. Of course, you can't judge a film on ten minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

budgemook wrote: »
    Pearl Harbour ;)

What about those two Client Eastwood movies, Flags of our Fathers is from the USA perspective and Letters from Iwo Jima is from Japanese perspective. I haven't seen either of those but I have been told they are good, especially Letters from Iwo Jima.

Flags of Our Fathers is the weakest out of the two and just isn't as interesting imo. But Letters from Iwo Jima is a classic and is massively underrated in Eastwood's canon, one of the first films non Japanese to make the Japanese soldiers out to be human and not just the bad guys. Fantastic performance from Ken Watanabe as well. The last third is pretty downbeat and isn't a easy watch.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Have it there. But haven't watched it yet. Saw the first ten minutes or so, but it looked fairly typical of modern Russian war films. Of course, you can't judge a film on ten minutes.

Its worth a watch. Another one that comes highly recommended is Come and See which I've been meaning to watch for ages. I managed to find "Liberation" which looks like an intriguing series, nice recommendation!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Its worth a watch. Another one that comes highly recommended is Come and See which I've been meaning to watch for ages. I managed to find "Liberation" which looks like an intriguing series, nice recommendation!

Fantastic film but definitely not a easy watch. One of the best WW2 films I've seen. Another one I think is underrated but not in the small ballpark as Come and See, is Edward Zwick Defiance with Daniel Craig, Liev Schreiber, Jamie Bell. Great little gem watched it a few times on Netflix

I seen 'Come and See' a few times. I even owned it on DVD. I'll never watch it again. It's a 20 minute film wrapped up in 2 hours of utter tedium with a dose of euro bizarrism thrown in. Apart from the barn burning horror sequence, it has nothing AFAIC.

Be careful which version of 'Liberation' you get though. There's a version floating around that has that annoying Russian voice over when people aren't speaking Russian. It's a really irritating technical habit that a lot of Russian cinema has whereby they get one voice over artist to repeat the foreign lines in Russian dialogue. It's not dubbing in the traditional sense, it's like one guy beside you translating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Matinee 1994 Dir Joe Dante

Joe Dante in his element paying homage to his own creature-feature leaden youth of the 50/60s. John Goodman is a delight as a William Castle type huckster producer who premiers his new atomic shocker Mant! ("Half man, half ant - all terror!") in southern Florida just as the Cuban missile crisis occurs. Loads of good stuff for buffs to spot (look for Dick Miller, John Sayles, Kevin McCarthy etc) including a rather unexpected allusion to Charles Starkweather (named Harvey Starkweather in the film) of the infamous Fugate/Starkweather killings in 1957/8.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it esp as they had done their deeds by 1961 but the referencing to reform school, that his accomplice Caril Ann Fugate was a school girl (Kellie Martin plays a 15 year old in Matinee) and the use of Beatnik music and poetry during a couple of Starkweather's scenes and Harvey's own violent/edgy demeanour on screen suggest a curious link (esp in the context of a light-hearted film).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Atonement http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0783233/

I had never seen this until now, fantastic film - really surprised me.

Fatal Attraction http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093010/?ref_=nv_sr_1

meh .. has dated a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Basic instinct...never saw it before. It is actually a really good thriller pity it is over shadowed by Sharon's Sharon.

Looper - class time travel film. The writer director is involved in the next two starwars which i am pretty optimistic about.

Hell or High water - Enjoyed this. went about its business with out too much over the top nonsense and very much like the ending.

Bone Tomahawk (netflix) - Fairly long film and goes fairly ****ing weird at the end. Lots of "what the ****" moments in it. Enjoyed it all the same. Wouldn't be going recommending it in the office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Basic instinct...never saw it before. It is actually a really good thriller pity it is over shadowed by Sharon's Sharon.

Looper - class time travel film. The writer director is involved in the next two starwars which i am pretty optimistic about.

Hell or High water - Enjoyed this. went about its business with out too much over the top nonsense and very much like the ending.

Bone Tomahawk (netflix) - Fairly long film and goes fairly ****ing weird at the end. Lots of "what the ****" moments in it. Enjoyed it all the same. Wouldn't be going recommending it in the office

Oh some good suggestions there !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Moonlight - <3

As compassionate and tender a film as has ever been projected onto a cinema screen. It hints at familiar tropes before politely pushing them aside to get to the emotional truths and nuance underneath. Full of staggering, quietly devastating close-ups, this is not a film of big moments like several of its fellow awards contenders this year. Instead it is smaller moments that come together into something greater. Even the visuals, though undeniably fetching, considered and artful, feel impressively casual all the while. Equal parts timeless and utterly contemporary, subtle and sentimental, it's a joy to experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Manchester by the sea.
    That was really great. And not what I expected. Exceptional performance by Casey affleck.
    Some strange choices at a few moments in the narrative but they make sense by the end.
    The kid was near perfect too.

'Dracula A.D. 72'

3/10

Ridiculous and fascinating in equal measures, but ultimately pointless, Hammer's penultimate Lee Dracula film sees poor Chirstopher donning his 19th Century garb to frolic around 70's London, trying to mess with Van Helsing's descendent (poor Peter Cushing) and his granddaughter (Stephanie Beecham).

This time, Drac has an assistant (Christopher Neame) to help him with his ends and allow him take a back seat - which Lee had been doing since 'Dracula: Prince of Darkness' - popping out occasionally to nibble at the necks of some woefully acted 70's hipsters and one can hardly blame him when they include the stunning Caroline Munro in another Hammer bit part. Of course, it all ends badly for the count in the end as per usual. But, Dracula being a hard man to keep down, he didn't give a tinker's cuss and popped up one more time (with Lee as Dracula) in the equally odd 'The Satanic Rites of Dracula', also set in the "modern" era of 70's Britain. Somewhat thankfully, that film marked the end of Hammer's Dracula series, which really had outlived its sellby date a decade before.

Hammer would also produce the chop socky influenced 'Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires' in the mid 70's - which Lee flat out refused to be part of - before finally calling it a day with the overworked count.

Story stupidity aside, 'Dracula A.D. 72' is sort of worth watching if you're a fan of 70's cheese or a Dracula completest. But, there's so much cheese, that there's a real danger of putting on weight or increasing your cholesterol.

b88.jpg

The original "Bourne Identity" 2-part TV mini series from 1988 on YouTube.

Richard Chamberlain in the title role and Charlie's Angel - Jaclyn Smith - as the eye candy. Quite a stellar cast including Denholm Elliot, Peter Vaughan (Grouty from Porridge), Anthony Quale and Donald Moffat.

Take it for what it is, and not comparing it with the more recent Bourne movies, it stands up quite well as a thriller. Imagine a more suave Matt Damon running around in a world without the internet or mobile phones and you're getting there.

Peter Vaughan is particular menacing as one of the leading baddies and as Bourne whittles down the cast it seems that he (Vaughan) escapes retribution - unless I missed it in all the mayhem.

Only 9/10 as Richard Chamberlain is no Matt Damon. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Raising Arizona

Had never seen it and I don't know why it took me this long to get around to it.
    What a show!! Think I loved everything about it. Fantastic performances all round. Its 30 years old now. 30 Years !!!!! But it just feels so fresh and colourful and exciting, it doesnt really seem like an "80's movie". Loved the opening monologue. Fantastic film. 9/10

"Air Force One is Down" (2013) 2 part TV mini-series on YouTube.

Despite some initial research which revealed that it was allegedly based on a story by Alistair Maclean this is a total train wreck. A cast of unknowns, very wooden acting, dire special effects, bad guys whose guns fail to hit anybody while the few 'good' guys can't miss! So bad that no rating is possible - and three hours long at that!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Clinical

Netflix thing about a psychiatrist who goes through her own trauma, as you do. It has a horror vibe to it and is a bit over-stylised, and gratuitous with its violence. Decent enough two thirds, then it goes awry, say, like a James Patterson novel. Once the psychiatric hospital comes more into play, things go a little Linda Hamilton in T2. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Non-Stop

Liam Neeson is a US air marshall bloke with a few personal troubles and a sense of paranoia. Jack Bauer on a plane. Soon, there's a threat on board. Watchable for about the first two thirds, then any sense of internal consistency falls apart. Many, many dumb passengers. Hero speech. There's also a moment where
    Liam gives a 'good' guy a gun with an empty clip.
    Someone in the writing department saw Die Hard, then. :D Also, it probably can't be said enough that Julianne Moore is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Edge of Seventeen.

I wouldn't have thought the coming of age tale of a high-school teenage girl would connect with me quite the way this did, a very nuanced, funny and thoughtful film that for all the artifice of the genre it plays in feels very honest. I have to put it in my top three for last year along with The Nice Guys and Deadpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Heckler

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2513074/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Dir: Ang Lee

Didn't know what to make of this one. The story of a hero soldier from the Iraq war home on a morale boosting tour.

Constantly felt like there was some sort of twist about to come.

The lead and his boss were quite good. The point of the cheerleader love story was explained in two sentences between them towards the end and didn't justify what went before it.

The interaction between the soldiers seemed authentic for all that I'd know about it (Nowt).

Vin Diesel was miscast. Hes a pretty bad actor.

Poor enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement