Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Apocalypse Now (1979/2011) Dir Francis Ford Coppola

Captain Willard is sent up river across the Cambodian border to kill renegade Colonel Kurtz

All the adjectives that usually get thrown at this film apply - it is spectacular, vivid, dramatic, surreal, and a bit mad. At it's best it nearly matches Blade Runner in terms of combining sound and vision but ultimately comes up slightly short due to being too long, a couple of the episodes could have been lost without any diminution of the story (I'm thinking about the Playboy bunnies and 'bow and arrow' attack scenes, the death of the boat captain could have been at a different moment without problem) while making it more urgent. One aspect that doesn't get much acclaim is the music score by Carmine Coppola (and dad) which is terrific - the use of of big stacked mono synths in a jungle war film is counter-intuitive and works a treat.

The copy I saw has redux at the end and the Miramax company credits despite it being the 2011 restored print of the 1979 general release. Strange.

A real classic - I took a girlfriend to see this on our first date - we not together anymore. :D

"Spooks: The Greater Good" 2015

Watched, at last, on Netflix. Well, I enjoyed the series, had read the poor reviews of this but it had to be done. It was very poor and it's a sad reflection on the movie (or me) that the high point was the suicide bomber blowing himself up near the start. 2/10

Last night I retreated to YouTube once again, this time to "Cal" (1984).

A routine IRA/Troubles drama, but well crafted and starring John Lynch, Donal McCann, Ray McAnally and the delectable Helen Mirren. Shot chiefly in Drogheda the atmosphere of Northern Ireland back then is well captured without being OTT. Not a movie with a happy ending and that's obvious from the first minute. Stands the test of time well and is well worth the watch. 8/10.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Baby Driver
    I saw this at the Cineworld Unlimited screening this week, and it was excellent. Recognisably an Edgar Wright film, with some excellent chase scenes, a whole load of great dialoue, great performances and stunning use of music throughout. It's the film I wanted Refn's Drive to be, and probably the first thing I've seen since Fury Road where I'll go and see it at the cinema a second time, because I enjoyed it that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Fury (2014)

This was on RTE2 last night. Excellent, excellent film. Reminds me that I need to crack on with a few more war movies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

Diabolique (1955)

Classic French suspense film. Always heard this film mentioned when people were discussing Hitchcock and the like, but I never seen it before last night. It's brilliant brilliant brilliant. The wife and mistress of an absolute AS$HOLE school principal conspire to get the cruel bastard out of their lives for good. Brilliantly written, this was way, way ahead of it's time. If you hadn't seen it, and like me, into suspense movies, I highly recommend this.
    Got this on criterion blu-ray and once again, fantastic print and sound
    9/10

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jh79

buried wrote: »
    Diabolique (1955)

Classic French suspense film. Always heard this film mentioned when people were discussing Hitchcock and the like, but I never seen it before last night. It's brilliant brilliant brilliant. The wife and mistress of an absolute AS$HOLE school principal conspire to get the cruel bastard out of their lives for good. Brilliantly written, this was way, way ahead of it's time. If you hadn't seen it, and like me, into suspense movies, I highly recommend this.
    Got this on criterion blu-ray and once again, fantastic print and sound
    9/10

Is the print good, meant to buy it and saw reviews saying the print or maybe the sound wasn't great? Bought "Eyes without a face" instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

jh79 wrote: »
    Is the print good, meant to buy it and saw reviews saying the print or maybe the sound wasn't great? Bought "Eyes without a face" instead.

I found it to be very good JH! Couldn't fault the print transfer whatsoever, as for sound, I have player hooked up to a Marshall loudspeaker through the optical so I have the thing well turned up, bit more treble was needed I suppose but nothing too major! I'd definitely purchase

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The Water Diviner

I've been meaning to watch this since it was in the cinema a few years back. I noticed it's leaving Netflix in a few days so finally stuck it on tonight.
    Russell Crowe stars and directs. He plays Joshua Connor, an Australian farmer who travels to Gallipoli after WW1 to find the remains of his 3 sons so he can bring them home. That part of the story is fine, magical locating powers aside, but for some reason there's a romantic subplot thrown in, a bromance/adventure story with a Turkish general, a load of political/historical musings, and they still find room to have the odd dig at the Brits too.
    There's some stuff that works well and suggests there's a good director in Crowe trying to get out but you have to wonder why he chose a project where he's on screen for about 95% of it to be his first directing gig. The tone jumps all over the place and there's a real lack of focus at times as well as loads of random slow motion shots, time lapses of him walking or riding a horse, all completely unnecessary.
    There is one scene towards the end that is so good you'd think Crowe must have been off sick that day and someone else shot it. It involves the 3 brothers and it was such a powerful scene that it made me wish Crowe had just cut all the other nonsense out and told the story of the 3 brothers in flashbacks framed by a few scenes of him traipsing around Turkey looking for their remains.

"London has Fallen" (2016)

Brief synopsis - British PM dies and when World leaders gather in London for his funeral all hell breaks lose. Bullet proof, US Secret Service agent Mike Banning is on hand to save his President (and London) from the hordes of heavily armed 'foreigners' who have infiltrated the Metropolitan Police, the Buckingham Palace Guard ...

Okay as an action movie if you like mindless violence with a heavy anti-Muslim slant and leave your brain outside. Wooden acting at its worst with with lots of congratulations at the end as Mike saves the 'Free' World. While bombing London is not difficult for a determined terrorist group, the plot in this movie is utterly far fetched and implausible. 1/10

10/10 for the worst performance in any film that I've watched in years goes to Colin Salmon who despite supposedly being in charge of the Metropolitan Police - and referred to as 'Chief Inspector' - smiles throughout and never looks remotely worried about the carnage that he is presiding over and never even undoes his tunic or top button. Some man for one man! :rolleyes:

10609635_1065036100185347_6921242785790149387_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,389 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ant-Man

Enjoyed this. We've seen it before, of course. Bloke with a checkered past becomes a hero. Themes of redemption and hope. Villain (not great, admittedly - and underdeveloped, as usual) let's stuff go to his head. Felt like there was a nod to Batman (Nicholson's Joker) early on and the rest is somewhat Mission: Impossible. It wastes no time getting on with the mission and training, with a decent bit of breathing room for the latter. I must admit it took me over an hour to recognise Evangeline Lilly - her wig was just terrible in terms of fit/look.
    She will get to do some more fieldwork and kick actual arse in the future.
    I'm still chuckling at the Thomas the Tank Engine bit :D and I have a new respect for ants...

Three CIA genre movies on Netflix and nothing to write home about.

"Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit" 2014

Run of the mill CIA drama - I didn't drop off to sleep but wouldn't bother with again. 3/10

"Taken 3" 2014

Didn't expect much and wasn't disappointed. 5/10 - just for Liam Neeson's presence.

"The Expatriate/Erased" 2012

Far and away the best of the three movies and with a satisfying conclusion. 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

Stuck (2007)

Blackly comic thriller about a young nurse whose career, personal life and morality is called into question when she hits a homeless man with her car and drives home with the man lodged in her windshield. Starring Mena Suvari and Stephen Rea.

Really great under-the-radar type film. The panic of the young woman is palpable, both paralysed with shock and desperately searching for a solution to the mess she created. Stephen Rea is his usual sympathetically mopey self. Recommended if you're looking for something a bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

American Violence 2017

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5848714/

Watched this on Netflix, poor movie. The acting is terrible & the prison fight seen is so bad. Denise Richards has disimproved dramatically in looks, her acting is still appalling.

The Duellists, 1977 Ridley Scott film set during the Napoleonic era where Harvey Keitel unreasonably demands a duel with an officer sent to arrest him. Over the next 20 years the two continue to duel whenever their paths cross. Quite an interesting flick indeed

Napoleon, 2000 4 Part Mini Series about his exploits from the beginning to the end. Slightly stiff sometimes, but still well worth a watch

White Squall Another Ridley Scott film about a group of high school students who undertake a voyage with their teacher in their final year of school. Coming of age stuff with a bunch of young familiar faces and Jeff Bridges as the captain in one of his more serious roles. Pretty decent

Edge of Darkness 2010 Mel Gibson flick remaking the old BBC TV series from the 80's. Story is a good one about corporate weapons manufacturers working with the government on various shady things. Gibson, who plays a Boston detective has his daughter get shot, and while at first they think he was the target, more sinister things were at play! Entertaining stuff

Recount, 2006 HBO flick about the recount in Florida when George W got elected. Really demonstrated the monumental levels of corruption in US politics and what a shambles it is. Nice list of actors - Spacey, Wilkinson and a variety of familiar faces.

Get me Roger Stone, 2017 Documentary about one of US politics most devious guys. Very interesting. They say he was responsible for what happened in the Florida recount that got Bush elected, and unsurprisingly he was Trumps main man this time around, and has been his friend back since the 80's. Intriguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Dirty Grandpa (2016)

One of the worst films I've attempted to watch. I knew it was going to bad, I enjoy watching bad films, but after 32 minutes I could not continue a second longer. Line after line of truly awful dialogue. It features an offensively stereotypical gay, black character, that if existed in real life, could not, not be aware of his cliché, stereotypical existence. Earlier in this thread, I said Collateral Beauty was the worst film I've seen from 2016. If I made it to the end of Dirty Grandpa, I believe it would take that title. After stopping the film, I read what happened at the end.
    Robert De Niro and Aubrey Plaza get married and have a baby.
    Gross.

"The Siege" (1998)

New York is hit by a series of suicide bombings and martial law is introduced by an army General (Bruce Willis) apparently working to his own agenda. it's okay as an action movie, but there's something disturbingly surreal about it as the Twin Towers regularly come in to view in the background. The martial law scenario and the round-up of Muslims and their detention in football stadiums has a distinctly Trumpian (?) feel to it and is also disquieting. Trump probably has the DVD. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Last night I retreated to YouTube once again, this time to "Cal" (1984).

A routine IRA/Troubles drama, but well crafted and starring John Lynch, Donal McCann, Ray McAnally and the delectable Helen Mirren. Shot chiefly in Drogheda the atmosphere of Northern Ireland back then is well captured without being OTT. Not a movie with a happy ending and that's obvious from the first minute. Stands the test of time well and is well worth the watch. 8/10.

Watched Cal in the cinema when I was much younger and too young to be watching it tbh - can't remember if I snuck in or just used my height to get me in (I was very tall at a very young age). I don't remember much of it tbh, just remember thinking it was great at the time. Have in on DVD at home but it's one I just haven't ever gotten around to rewatching. I must do it soon, thanks for the reminder.

Side note: one of the characters in not very amusing Norn Iron sit-com "Give My Head Peace" was named Cal in what had to be a nod to the movie.

I wish you hadn't reminded me about "Give My Head Peace" - it was dreadful muck and another that I have to wade through. So here's your punishment. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I wish you hadn't reminded me about "Give My Head Peace" - it was dreadful muck and another that I have to wade through. So here's your punishment. :D

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done that, bringing up painful memories like that for everyone. I deserve a ban for that.

As crap as it is though, it's still better than Mrs. Browinz Boyiz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭droidman123

Haevnen (in a better world) 2010

Outstanding Danish movie,a must see.before I give a brief synopsis I have to say this is a very Moody and depressing movie.basic story,two families,through circumstances,come into contact.a young lads mam just died of cancer and him and his dad are having a hard time dealing with it.the other family has a young lad who's parents are going through a separation,the dad works back and forth from Africa to denmark as a doctor,he sees some horrific things in Africa, so all in all there is a deep underlying depressive mood right through the movie, there's also an underlying theme of vengence and the thin line between turning the other cheek and fighting back.the acting is top class from all the cast,but the two young lads that play Christian and Elias are amazing.a thoroughly engrossing movie from start to finish with a beautiful score
    9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭El Duda

Life of Pi – 9/10

It’s taken a while to get around to this but well worth the wait. It looks stunning on blu-ray and is a technical masterpiece. Probably the best CGI work ever? It’s just an unbelievably gorgeous film, completely immersive and full of majesty.

The story itself is enchanting and thought provoking. I enjoyed the simplicity of the films message. Like a modern fable, I see this as a classic. Irrfan Khan’s performance is perfect.

Okja – 6.5/10

Bizarre tonal shifts and needlessly wacky characters prevent this pro-vegan story from really hitting the mark. The best bits of this film are all involve Mija and her fictional CGI beast/friend Okja. Despite a really strong supporting cast of Swinton, Dano, Esposito and Gyllenhaal, none of them really get a satisfying role and it feels a bit loose and rushed.

It doesn’t shy away from showing the brutality of mass meat production in graphic detail.

Inside Llewyn Davis – 7/10

A solid Coen brothers film starring Oscar Isaacs as a washed up folk singer. A very familiar story but filmed in such a way that it has a unique look and feel to it. Lots of washed out, pale colours and much like the titular characters life, a real lack of purpose throughout.

What the Coen brothers do better than anyone is crafting out stories with real structure and this is no exception. Isaacs shows that he is phenomenally talented; I hope he doesn’t stick to X-men/Star Wars style roles from now on as it will be a real loss.

Sing – 5.5/10

With Garth Jennings at the helm I’d hoped for something a bit more. Unfortunately, aside from a couple of musical medley set pieces, there’s nothing new or memorable on offer here. Better than Secret Life of Pets but doesn’t hold a candle to even the more mediocre Pixar properties.

Pixels – 2/10

I decided to see how **** this was. It is very ****. I also decided I would keep watching until there was an actual joke. You know, like a crafted joke with a set up and pay off etc… It never came. This film is a scam of some kind.

I struggled to imagine anyone who could possibly like this for any reason whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭El Duda

Life of Pi – 9/10

It’s taken a while to get around to this but well worth the wait. It looks stunning on blu-ray and is a technical masterpiece. Probably the best CGI work ever? It’s just an unbelievably gorgeous film, completely immersive and full of majesty.

The story itself is enchanting and thought provoking. I enjoyed the simplicity of the films message. Like a modern fable, I see this as a classic. Irrfan Khan’s performance is perfect.

Okja – 6.5/10

Bizarre tonal shifts and needlessly wacky characters prevent this pro-vegan story from really hitting the mark. The best bits of this film are all involve Mija and her fictional CGI beast/friend Okja. Despite a really strong supporting cast of Swinton, Dano, Esposito and Gyllenhaal, none of them really get a satisfying role and it feels a bit loose and rushed.

It doesn’t shy away from showing the brutality of mass meat production in graphic detail.

Inside Llewyn Davis – 7/10

A solid Coen brothers film starring Oscar Isaacs as a washed up folk singer. A very familiar story but filmed in such a way that it has a unique look and feel to it. Lots of washed out, pale colours and much like the titular characters life, a real lack of purpose throughout.

What the Coen brothers do better than anyone is crafting out stories with real structure and this is no exception. Isaacs shows that he is phenomenally talented; I hope he doesn’t stick to X-men/Star Wars style roles from now on as it will be a real loss.

Sing – 5.5/10

With Garth Jennings at the helm I’d hoped for something a bit more. Unfortunately, aside from a couple of musical medley set pieces, there’s nothing new or memorable on offer here. Better than Secret Life of Pets but doesn’t hold a candle to even the more mediocre Pixar properties.

Pixels – 2/10

I decided to see how **** this was. It is very ****. I also decided I would keep watching until there was an actual joke. You know, like a crafted joke with a set up and pay off etc… It never came. This film is a scam of some kind.

I struggled to imagine anyone who could possibly like this for any reason whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Inconceivable_poster.png

Inconceivable (2017)

Another masterpiece from Cage. Hilarious film with amazing performances. I watched because of Cage, but I stayed with it because of the ridiculous storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Nic Cage in a movie with a ridiculous storyline? :eek:

27aqf1h8n9m4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

Stalker (1979)

Russian film about a mysterious region known as the Zone - a place that, it's rumored, is home to some presence not of this world. In the heart of it is said to be a room where people who reach it can have their deepest wishes fulfilled. The film is about two such men trying to reach that room, guided by a third individual who is knowledgeable of the place.

A slow and ponderous film. Much like Tarkovsky's other much-lauded sci-fi work, Solaris, it's a film much more about the human condition than anything else. A delight for fans of cinematography and philosophy, but a frustrating watch for fans of plot development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Re-animator 1985 Dir Stuart Gordon

Barbara Cramptons extended reaction screams as she comes to the morgue are just a delight! Jeffrey Combs is brilliant with that knowing look and this film really should have been a launch pad to greater things (well less trashy anyway) but for some reason it never happened. There are one or two lapses in logic but frankly who cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

briany wrote: »
    Stalker (1979)

Russian film about a mysterious region known as the Zone - a place that, it's rumored, is home to some presence not of this world. In the heart of it is said to be a room where people who reach it can have their deepest wishes fulfilled. The film is about two such men trying to reach that room, guided by a third individual who is knowledgeable of the place.

A slow and ponderous film. Much like Tarkovsky's other much-lauded sci-fi work, Solaris, it's a film much more about the human condition than anything else. A delight for fans of cinematography and philosophy, but a frustrating watch for fans of plot development.

My room ate got me into Goddard and tarkovskys films.

I remember when watching stalker for the first time and buying completely into it. The absolute dread of the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Re-animator 1985 Dir Stuart Gordon

Barbara Cramptons extended reaction screams as she comes to the morgue are just a delight! Jeffrey Combs is brilliant with that knowing look and this film really should have been a launch pad to greater things (well less trashy anyway) but for some reason it never happened. There are one or two lapses in logic but frankly who cares.

Yeh, was always surprised that Combs' career never took off.

A great little film 'Re-animator', even though it has bugger all to do with Lovecraft.

Still waiting for someone to do the man some cinematic justice.

• Advertisement

The Lighthorsemen 1987

Solid film about WW1 where the famous Australian Lighthoresmen were fighting the Turks and Germans in Gaza, storming artillery on horseback. "No horses were killed or injured in the making of this film' is completely untrue though!

Beneath Hill 60 2010

Another Aussie film about WW1 about a famous group of miners who were tunneling under the front lines attempting to get under the german defenses. At the time they amassed the single greatest amount of explosives in history in their attempt to turn the tide in the war. Good flick.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement