Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Watched a Netflix film called Death Note last night. Really good fun. Kinda camp play on the genre but done right. Really caught the spirit of 80s thrillers like Freddie etc. Worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

American Assassin - decent 18s action movie (rare enough in the cinema these days). Won't win any awards but held my attention for 2 hours and I really enjoyed it. Michael Keaton stole any scenes he was in, but Dylan O'Brien and Taylor Kitsch both did good jobs.

I read the book a zillion years ago (which was very different to the movie), but the trailer still gave away WAY too much plot.

15 more books to go.... I think it did pretty well in the box office, so there could easily be more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

‘In the Deep’ (or 47 Meters Down)

Another film that doesn’t know what to call itself and yet another shark movie, although this one is much better than last years ‘The Shallows’, which in fairness started off well but descended into nonsense towards the end.

‘In the Deep’ is a simple story, simply told, about a pair of sisters on holiday in Mexico that get stranded…ahem..47 meters down, after the shark cage they’re in detaches itself from the SS Rustbucket, captained by a jobbing actor AKA Mathew Modine.

After a bit of, frankly unnecessary, backstory involving Kate (Mandy Moore), her and Lisa (Claire Holt) head off to their fate and the action starts. This is where the film becomes a reasonable thriller and, in the main, is handled very well. It’s tense, exciting and the CGI Great Whites (what else?) are rendered fairly convincingly in many of the scenes that require them.

It lets itself down a touch near the end, but for most of its 90 minutes, it passes by pleasingly enough and does what it has to do.

7/10

‘Life’

It’s life Jim, but not as we know it.

Actually, it kind of is “as we know it” as there is nothing in ‘Life’ that we haven’t seen before. But, it’s presented here quite well and makes for an entertaining story in its own right.

On the International Space Station, a crew that ticks all the Hollywood diversity boxes, is challenged by a new lifeform that they picked up from an unmanned Mars probe. This new life, named by schoolkids as “Calvin”, grows with incredible speed and proves to be - as Ash from ‘Alien’ said - a tough little son of a bitch as he picks off the ISS crew one by one.

As said, you’ve seen everything in ‘Life’ before, both in the aforementioned ‘Alien’ and all of its subsequent rip offs. But, it passes by well, is acted decently and has a satisfying conclusion.

Among the crew are Ryan Renolds and Jake Gyllenhaal, with support filled out from international non-stars. The effects are well handled and “Calvin” is put to good use and is a believable entity.

8/10

‘Hush’

A deaf mute woman, Maddie Young, is tormented by a crazed assailant in her isolated, rural, home. Her handicap is overcome by her ingenuity as she has to use her wits to battle against her knife and crossbow wielding adversary, who seems more intent on causing her destress than just murdering her.

‘Hush’, is a simple slasher film with an interesting gimmick for the lead actress. But, it’s one of the absolute best examples of the long tired genre, which proves there’s life in the old dog yet. It’s handled smartly, with a heroine that you actually can root for. Made by gifted amateurs, it shows up a lot of genre operatives as lazy hacks. It’s tense throughout, unnerving and delightfully gory when it needs to be.

Highly recommended.

9/10

‘The Autopsy of Jane Doe’

A film that starts off well, but then tumbles along, unsure, to the finish line. “Jane Doe” is a remarkably preserved female body who’s found at the site of an apparent house massacre by a local sheriff (Michael McElhatton). He brings her to the county coroner (Brian Cox) who, with the aid of his son (Emile Hirsch) has to determine the cause of death.

As they proceed with their grislily task, it becomes more and more apparent that “Jane Doe” possesses some terrible secrets, which the two men slowly uncover.

‘The Autopsy of Jane Doe’ is a nice idea and for the bulk of its running time plays out very well indeed. Its final act, though, is a bit of a disappointment and one gets the feeling that the writer just didn’t know where to go. It’s rather like a Lovecraft short, but with a bombastic ending that the great man would have balked at. Unfortunately, for movies, a standard (and logical ) Lovecraft ending probably just wouldn’t cut it with most audiences, so ‘‘The Autopsy of Jane Doe’ tries to go out with an ill-conceived bang, rather than the obvious whimper that would have served it better.

Still though, there’s an awful lot here to like. It’s spooky, has a few well done scares and gross in sensible parts. Hirsch and (the always watchable) Cox are fine in their lead roles, with a ballsy (if sedate) performance from Ophelia Lovibond, who spends almost the entire film naked on a metal autopsy table.

6.5/10

‘Lake Mungo’

Zero budget Australian mockumentary about a family dealing with the grief of their dead daughter. The more the film unfolds, the more it reveals its supernatural shenanigans and it’s all carried out in a very subtle way. That’s not a criticism, it’s an appraisal. In the current cinematic world of “quiet, quiet, LOUD” type horror films, it’s a genuine delight to see something that can be delicately unsettling in an understated, but palpable way. There’s no “cattle prod” tactics here.

‘Lake Mungo’ follows the Palmer family as the come to terms with the drowning of the daughter, Alice. They, and other participants, are interviewed in a documentary style by an unnamed filmmaker as he asks them various questions about the event and the subsequent ghostly occurrences that plague them afterwards.

It’s creepy, spooky and leaves the viewer with a tingle down their spine in a way that has been all but forgotten by most contemporary filmmakers. It makes great use of imagery and background audio and it also benefits from the cast of complete unknowns, who all take the script completely serious, thereby influencing the audience to do so as well. One of ‘Lake Mungo’ triumphs is that it genuinely feels real, in a way that something like ‘Paranormal Activity’ doesn’t. You never really forget that you’re watching a film with ‘Paranormal Activity’, but once or twice during ‘Lake Mungo’ I had to remind myself that I wasn’t watching the Discovery Channel. That may put some people off, but while most mockumentaries are comedic affairs and most supernatural documentaries lack any kind of pay off, ‘Lake Mungo’ delivers the package that it sets out to deliver.

9/10

‘The Corpse of Anna Fritz’

Interesting Spanish film with a disturbing (if farfetched) premise. Beautiful actress Anna Fritz has died and is being “held on ice” down the local hospital morgue, awaiting her final journey. Three Castilian neerdowells, one of whom works at the hospital where Anna currently lays, decide to take a look at the corpse, before heading out to a party on a diet of liquor and lines. It doesn’t go at all well for anybody concerned.

‘The Corpse of Anna Fritz’ is a dish best served cold, in that the viewer will get more out of the film with the less they know about it. Some of its elements may be extremely uncomfortable for certain viewers, but nevertheless it’s compelling viewing.

8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Haven't been around for a while but....
    Sunshine on Blu Ray which I've owned for an eternity and just haven't gotten around to watching. Visually stunning, and with an equally impressive accompanying score, it really captures the claustrophobic atmosphere of the mission ship and the crew's mental state(s). Ignore some of the dubious science on display at times and you have a real treat. A very solid 7/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

New Battles Without Honour or Humanity : The Boss's Head (1975)

One of Kinji Fukasaku's better stand-alone films concerning the back-stabbing world of the Japanese Yakuza. A petty lowlife takes the fall and does 7 years jailtime in the place of a Yakuza hit man and luitenant. Released from prison, he discovers the Yakuza family doesn't want to compensate him, then goes all out for revenge against the gang. Highly violent, in some places ridiculously so, but very well written, the best in the series I have seen. A bit rushed at the end, could have went on a bit longer but highly entertaining. 8/10

Burnt Offerings (1976)

American haunted house tack. Family moves in to take care of a stately manor out in the countryside for the summer, and slowly but surely, all of them start to lose the plot, especially the husband & wife. Kind of like a soap opera version of 'The Shining' but the book and film of this 'Burnt Offering' title actually came first in 73, still, the similarities are all there. Not too bad, entertaining enough, nice subtle messages concerning the consumer mindset of middle class Americans of the time. Good enough acting, especially from Oliver Reed as the Dad, and the beautiful Bette Davis playing the family auntie, who was really good. Maybe worth a gawk this Halloween if you're into 'The Shining' although, maybe the book might be a bit better. 5/10

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement

buried wrote: »
    Burnt Offerings (1976)

I've had this thing knocking around the house for years and somehow, I've never watched it. :D

Maybe this Halloween.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭briany

Zelig (1983)

Comic mockumentary about the life of Leonard Zelig - A man who had the uncanny ability to physically mimic people he comes into close contact with.

Excellent Woody Allen comedy. Allen plays the titular role, and plays his neurotic nebbish character to the hilt, here, and it's funny seeing what chaos Zelig gets himself into by impersonating people, even when he's apparently not even consciously trying to do so.

New Battles Without Honour or Humanity : The Boss's Head (1975)

One of Kinji Fukasaku's better stand-alone films concerning the back-stabbing world of the Japanese Yakuza. A petty lowlife takes the fall and does 7 years jailtime in the place of a Yakuza hit man and luitenant. Released from prison, he discovers the Yakuza family doesn't want to compensate him, then goes all out for revenge against the gang. Highly violent, in some places ridiculously so, but very well written, the best in the series I have seen. A bit rushed at the end, could have went on a bit longer but highly entertaining. 8/10

Have the 6 disc Blu Ray and DVD edition of this series at home waiting to be viewed....there's just too much stuff to watch....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

Have the 6 disc Blu Ray and DVD edition of this series at home waiting to be viewed....there's just too much stuff to watch....:(

If you have them at home Butters man you should definitely stick them on if you have some free time! Especially that one, it's the second one in the new ones but it's a stand-alone so you don't have to have seen any of the rest. A lot of the other ones are a bit too 'without honour or humanity' as everyone in them is a total A$shole, no real protagonist to root for in some of them. But this one was very very good. Great writing, loads of tension, backstabbing, lies and general snakieness. The two lead actresses are very good in this also

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

If you have them at home Butters man you should definitely stick them on if you have some free time! Especially that one, it's the second one in the new ones but it's a stand-alone so you don't have to have seen any of the rest. A lot of the other ones are a bit too 'without honour or humanity' as everyone in them is a total A$shole, no real protagonist to root for in some of them. But this one was very very good. Great writing, loads of tension, backstabbing, lies and general snakieness. The two lead actresses are very good in this also

I hear you, but I've just so much stuff to watch. I have a mountain of Blu Rays that I haven't even taken the wrappers off.......travelling a lot with work these days and just incredibly busy with no end in sight. Take Sunshine as an example, I must have that 5+ years and only unwrapped and watched last Sunday afternoon. Nice problem to have I guess on one level, but a pain in the h0le on another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Edge of Tomorrow

This was a rewatch and I enjoyed it more than in the cinema. Interesting plot device as the whole film is essentially a montage in a way. Time traveling not half bad action sci fi was just what I wanted to see to turn brain to 25% mode.

The more I see of Tom Cruise the more I like him. I bet he'd be class to go for a beer with.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You'd be a scientologist by beer #3. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Mr E wrote: »
    You'd be a scientologist by beer #3. :)

I actually went to the Church of Scientology just a few days ago in London, was passing and thought feck it I'll go for the free tour and mild indoctrination. Was interesting. They asked me what I knew about the Church - I just said all the bad stuff :pac:

Didn't meet Tom Cruise there though.

SPOILERS

'V'

TV classic from the early 80's that actually stands the test of time in a lot of places. It's also bloody awful in others. What I watched was the first two miniseries, 'V' and 'V - The Final Battle'. The actual series was utter dreck, which saw two of its regulars leave half way through in disgust.

I'm don't think I'm spoiling anything here, but 'V' deals with reptilian aliens landing on Earth who want to exploit us for our liquid resources and our food - which is us. Humanity gets split into rebels and quislings and the show pretty much plays out like that til its, unintentionally hilarious ending.

It remains nothing but watchable though and is still very entertaining for what it is. However, it really is showing its age. Effects that were fantastic to kid me are now terribly quaint and some of the acting is downright painful. In addition there are some characters that one could only wish pain on - Hello Robin!

Elsewhere, The Beastmaster tries his best Han Solo impression, Faye Grant does a solid leader under pressure turn, Michael Ironside is still as cool as ever and Jane Bader is still great as a lizard that would be right at home on the set of 'Dynasty' or 'Dallas', she's all rouge, big hair and attitude.

It's a little too ham-fisted in its war/nazi allegory - especially in its way too heavy handed holocaust angle - but, it's all relatively forgivable if you just ignore that.

The more solid of the two miniseries is definitely the first part, simply titled 'V', which plays out showing us the arrival of the alien ships and the subsequent reveals that all is not what it seems. It comfortably leads into 'V: The Final Battle', which sees the ongoing struggle of the resistance against the lizardlike overlords, the birth of an alien/human hybrid and the eventual victory of the humans over the "visitors" - finally enabled by one of TV's most eye bulging moments of Deus ex Machina that was ever dared.

'V' wouldn't stand a chance with a modern audience if it was shown as is today, but if you want a nostalgia trip, it's just the ticket. It's easy to understand why it was so popular in 1983/4 and as a basic story has a lot to recommend it. It's unfortunate that the attempt at the remake from 2009 was just so awful, as a modern update could really be very good.

6/10

'The Bad Batch'

Hideously overlong, with a terribly thin story that is stretched well beyond its elasticity, 'The Bad Batch' really tests the viewers patience. It sounds like something that any 'Mad Max' or 'Fallout 3' fan might enjoy and indeed there is a lot in it that would appeal to those who like that kind of stuff. But, there just isn't any tale going on here. At least not one that makes hanging around til the end worth the wait. It's really an 80 minute film extended out to 2 hours and it feels like it.

'The Bad Batch' are a group of prisoners, presumably in the near future, that are dumped into an area in Texas that is a fenced off prison - 'Escape from New York' style - and forced to fend for themselves against the environment and other prisoners.

The prisoner we follow is Arlen, a young woman who's been sentenced to to time inside this fenced off area. She soon comes to understand just how awful life is here, as she's captured by cannibals. Eventually escaping, somewhat worse for wear, she gets revenge on one of them and takes her small child. This child gets lost along the way and Arlen and the young girls father must uneasily team up to find her.

As said, there just isn't enough there to play out over 2 hours. But Ana Lily Amirpour's second feature has some entertaining parts to it. It's wonderfully violent, grossly abusive to its heroine that few films would attempt and creates a convincing and desolate world full of danger and despair.

But, aside from the story criticism, it's saddled with an awful soundtrack, impenetrable dialogue and unsatisfying set pieces.

'The Bad Batch' kinda feels like one of those offbeat 70's sci-fi movies. The kind which you never see any more, like 'A Boy and his Dog'. However, I really don't know what Amirpour is trying to say with her film or if she was trying to say anything at all, other than life is crap and if pushed we end up eating each other (at least metaphorically).

But, it needed more umph, a little more WTF and a more judicious use of the editing scissors. As it stands, it's sort of interesting, but interminable.

4.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Steverachmad

Mr E wrote: »
    American Assassin - decent 18s action movie (rare enough in the cinema these days). Won't win any awards but held my attention for 2 hours and I really enjoyed it. Michael Keaton stole any scenes he was in, but Dylan O'Brien and Taylor Kitsch both did good jobs.

I read the book a zillion years ago (which was very different to the movie), but the trailer still gave away WAY too much plot.

15 more books to go.... I think it did pretty well in the box office, so there could easily be more to come.

On a much brighter note , BBC 4 doc on funk , so much of today's music is dug out of James Brown " I feel good ', oxegyn 05/06

Wind River in Cineworld last night; third instalment of Taylor Sheridan's American frontier trilogy. Not as good as Hell or High Water, but that would be a big ask. Felt a bit under-developed for me, and a couple of relatively big flaws/disconnects
    did the security team really think they could execute 6 cops and an FBI agent and get away with it? Talk about going all in..... Also, the image of the two girls in Graduation hats etc. - Renner's daughter was killed at 16, 3 years previously - how could she have graduated - even high school?
    Great casting though, looks great, and certainly better than average. 7/10.

To the drunk couple who sat beside me - thanks for almost ruining it for me, and everyone else in the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Blair Witch

As a fan of Adam Wingard’s films I was hoping he could bring something different to the found footage genre. Blair Witch started off quite strongly and I thought the first hour was very good. The sense of creeping dread was built up quite well.

But the limits of this type of film dragged down the final third. Right from the title caption we know that the people who filmed the footage disappeared so there’s no tension towards the end, we’re just waiting for the inevitable to happen and the cast to meet their fate.
    The unsatsifyingly open ending doesn’t provide any answers just sets up another sequel.

The Last Detail

Hal Ashby film from 1973 starring Jack Nicholson as one of two sailors transporting another young sailor across country to a naval prison where he is due to spend 8 years for committing a petty crime. The three men bond on the trip with Nicholson’s character determined to show their prisoner a good time before beginning his sentence. It’s a humorous, observational drama with three great performances, especially Nicholson. It’s one of those films from the 1970’s that give that decade such a good reputation. An excellent blu-ray release from Indicator.

Young Frankenetein in Cineworld last night, was working late and found out by chance it was on at 8. Got there just before the Mel Brooks intro started, which was relatively interesting. It was good, though I have to say probably not as good as I remembered. Nice to see it on a big screen though. 7/10.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I Used To Live Here

Irish film from a year or so ago. It's set in Tallaght and looks at the ripple effect a suicide can have on the surrounding community, especially the younger ones. I was blown away by it, to be honest. It could have been a horribly cliched and offensive tale of council estate kids and someone coming in to save them but instead it's a quietly devastating look at a real community and a real issue that destroys a lot of communities in Ireland and elsewhere. There's no preaching, there's no overly dramatic rants or breakdowns, there's not even any real solutions offered, it's just a really well crafted story about a very important issue. The cast, as far as I can tell, were all locals and complete amateurs when they filmed it and bar one or two little moments where you can kind of tell they're amateurs, and I mean literally one or two moments throughout the whole thing, it's just a phenomenal achievement.

There have been a lot of great Irish films over the last few years, for me this is one of the best and it's a bit of a shame it seems to have been overlooked a bit. I do remember it being praised when it was released but there was none of the fanfare things like The Young Offenders or Cardboard Gangsters, for example, got. Anyway, it's well worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,490 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Baby Driver

Heard a few colleagues saying it was good, and checked out IMDB which gave it 8/10, so decided to give it a go.

What a disappointment.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I hate films that try too hard to be cool. The first 15mins of it reminded me of tacky MTV music videos, rather than a feature film. I suppose from there I was always going to struggle to like it, but it turned into a more normal film after a while (bar his stupid dancing around the apartment) and I suppose kinda redeemed itself a little, but still only managed to raise itself up to a 5.5/10 for me.

Good soundtrack though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

NIMAN wrote:
    Heard a few colleagues saying it was good, and checked out IMDB which gave it 8/10, so decided to give it a go.

NIMAN wrote:
    What a disappointment.

Your mistake was watching beyond the half hour mark.

Paths To Freedom a re-watch yesterday on DVD of all 6 episodes, and IMO the best Irish comedy ever. Now I know that's not a high bar to hurdle, but it's just so good for me it's right up there with the best of my favourite US and UK output. If you haven't seen it, dig it out. "Rats from the flats" is still one of my all-time favourite comedy characters. 8.5/10. Shame there was just one season/6 episodes; still very funny after 17 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Super 8 2011 J.J. Abrams

Just as well I wasn't playing spot the Spielberg homage drinking game watching this, I'd be in need of a new liver :D Nicely made though and I liked the home movie they werere making as the credit's rolled. Reminded me of something I did at about at about the same age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Paths To Freedom a re-watch yesterday on DVD of all 6 episodes, and IMO the best Irish comedy ever. Now I know that's not a high bar to hurdle, but it's just so good for me it's right up there with the best of my favourite US and UK output. If you haven't seen it, dig it out. "Rats from the flats" is still one of my all-time favourite comedy characters. 8.5/10. Shame there was just one season/6 episodes; still very funny after 17 years!

Remember this and Bachelors Walk were showing on RTE 2 on a Monday Night back in the early 2000's, great one two by RTE. Shame they haven't come near to touching either since.

I agree it's one of the best one of comedy series around up there with Gareth Marenghi's Darkplace imo, the Rats stuff definitely stands out when you first watch it especially Pete Mcdonald's Tomo but after a few rewatches I adore the Brendan Coyle and Deidre O'Kane stuff, with Coyle been fantastic as Jeremy Fitzgearld as he slowly is driven mad is some of best stuff you see. Rats stuff I love but it's the Fitzgearld stuff that I love even more now.

Best avoid the Rat's spin off film Spin The Bottle, not great at all and clearly shows that Rats should be used in small doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I tried watching - xXx: Return of Xander Cage.

Through gritted teeth I lasted 15 minutes, utter horse shít.

Looper007 wrote: »
    Remember this and Bachelors Walk were showing on RTE 2 on a Monday Night back in the early 2000's, great one two by RTE. Shame they haven't come near to touching either since.

I agree it's one of the best one of comedy series around up there with Gareth Marenghi's Darkplace imo, the Rats stuff definitely stands out when you first watch it especially Pete Mcdonald's Tomo but after a few rewatches I adore the Brendan Coyle and Deidre O'Kane stuff, with Coyle been fantastic as Jeremy Fitzgearld as he slowly is driven mad is some of best stuff you see. Rats stuff I love but it's the Fitzgearld stuff that I love even more now.

Best avoid the Rat's spin off film Spin The Bottle, not great at all and clearly shows that Rats should be used in small doses.

I have Spin The Bottle somewhere on DVD but haven't ever gotten around to a single rewatch, but I may do so soon.....

I agree on your thesis though; what made it work so well was the balance both characters brought to the show. Take either one away and it's just too much - equally if it was just about Jeremy it would have been full on Ross O'Carroll Kelly.

Every time I see poor Michael McElhatton, I just think of Rats from the flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

War for the Planet of the Apes. Soppy over dramatic prison escape movie with apes. There's no actual war.
    Also why use green lasers if you want to sneak up on people??? Lots more plot holes but they would be spoilers.

Good Day to you sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭droidman123

Wolyn (hatred) 2016
    Horrific polish movie about the banderestas in poland at the outbreak of ww2.the banderestas were ukrainian separatists in the complicated geography of eastern europe at the time,lead by stepan bandera.when germany invaded poland it was the ukraines,not the germans that the poles had more to fear from.there are some truly horrendous scenes in this movie and its based around one particular newly wed girl and the unbelievable hardships she and her young family went through.essential viewing and it sounds wrong to call it a "great movie" considering what its about.apparently it is banned in ukraine
    8/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Goodbye, Christopher Robin. A lovely movie about the relationship between Christoper Robin Milne and his parents and the background to Winnie The Pooh, starring Domhnall Gleeson and Margot Robbie. The kid that plays Christopher Robin is great.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement