Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

Tony EH wrote: »
    Every time I see poor Michael McElhatton, I just think of Rats from the flats.

Still find it hard that to beleive its the same guy who plays Roose Bolton in Game of Thrones, that took me for one when I found out at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

neirbloom wrote: »
    Still find it hard that to beleive its the same guy who plays Roose Bolton in Game of Thrones, that took me for one when I found out at first.

Yeh, it's gas. It comes up in conversations with a mate of mine and he keeps flat out refusing to believe it.

He appeared briefly in a film I watched a few weeks ago and in my head I just said, ah there's Rats. :D

The Wizard of Lies 2017 HBO tv film starring Robert de Niro and Michelle Pfeiffer as the Madoffs, going through the time just before he got caught and the aftermath. Engaging and enjoyable film, that tries to get inside the characters of the whole family and how they were each effected by Bernies Ponzi scheme. Well worth a watch if not quite as good as the Richard Dreyfuss Mini Series from Last Year

Prime Suspect 1991 2 Part BBC Drama which is intriguing for its portrayal of the male dominated police force in England during the 80's and early 90's. Helen Mirren plays a DCI who gets to lead a murder investigation in a very chauvinistic environment with various forces working against her, professionally and personally. Its funny the shock on peoples faces when she is introduced as the Lead on the case, and they can't believe its a woman :D It really doesn't feel like it was all that long ago but times have changed radically in 25 years.
    Its a good watch in general

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Flatliners, and despite the bad reviews, I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭al87987

Duel - 1977 - Old school Spielberg. Really liked it, holds up well, could be made today. 8/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Prime Suspect 1991 2 Part BBC Drama which is intriguing for its portrayal of the male dominated police force in England during the 80's and early 90's. Helen Mirren plays a DCI who gets to lead a murder investigation in a very chauvinistic environment with various forces working against her, professionally and personally. Its funny the shock on peoples faces when she is introduced as the Lead on the case, and they can't believe its a woman :D It really doesn't feel like it was all that long ago but times have changed radically in 25 years.
    Its a good watch in general

Oh wow, you should check out the rest of the Prime Suspect series if you liked that. There's 7 series/seasons from memory. I binge-watched all of them a few years back on DVD box set having never seen them on TV. Some great performances from the supporting cast members too, and early appearances from "big" names now (Ralph Fiennes amongst them). I assume you saw Series/Season 1. I'd dig the rest out as it's all very good.

Oh wow, you should check out the rest of the Prime Suspect series if you liked that. There's 7 series/seasons from memory. I binge-watched all of them a few years back on DVD box set having never seen them on TV. Some great performances from the supporting cast members too, and early appearances from "big" names now (Ralph Fiennes amongst them). I assume you saw Series/Season 1. I'd dig the rest out as it's all very good.

Yes I plan to check it out over the next few months. Just finished watching a 3 part series from 1988 called 'A very British Coup", gotta say I love that era of TV Series, so gritty!

Posted this in the Ozark thread earlier:

Finished it this week. It was grand; not amazing but certainly not crap either. I find the pacing uneven, going from slow and detailed to very rushed - and often in the same episode -
    One week Marty has $8m to launder, the next it's the last run? Come on.
    . I also find
    Peter Mullen's accent all over the place and inconsistent and they do that thing where in a lot of his scenes his back is to camera to hide this (this may be just me spotting this?)
    and likewise with Del
    his accent slips from Mexican to full on Yank at times
    . What made Breaking Bad great was the attention to detail (even if that was subsequently debunked as being inaccurate on shows like Mythbusters etc., and I don't think this has it). I'm not asking for a "Dummy's Guide to Laundering Mexican Cartel Money", but it would help if more detail was provided on the efforts Marty has to go through to launder this cash. A good summer at a sh*tty bar & motel and a strip joint isn't washing $8m. Bateman, Linney (don't get the criticism, she's almost always excellent) and Mullen
    (accent aside)
    deliver from an acting perspective, but some of the supporting actors aren't as good for me. The show started and ended strongly, but some of the middle episodes were, for me, not great. I seriously considered not finishing it at one stage but I'm so OCD with TV and books that I honestly can't not finish something if I start it. Had it been better thought out with more attention to detail and paced more consistently (slower) I think it would have been a lot better. The ending was a bit bizarre
    killing Del and Mullen just talking about it as if it'll be grand and if not we'll deal with the cartel - yeah right!
    but it will be interesting to see where they take it for season 2 and beyond (if they do that).

Chasing The Dragon in Cineworld. Andy Lau and Donnie Yen star in Honk Kong drug movie set over several decades. There's a lot that's good about this (it is enjoyable), and a lot that's bad (the British accents, some of the acting, some of the staging amongst them) but if you like Asian/World Cinema I'd certainly give it a look. 6/10. There were only a handful of people at my screening so if you're interested I'd go soon. Would normally write a longer review but just too tired!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Nocturnal Animals - Pure muck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,585 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Watched a really great in-depth documentary called Spielberg which is worth the watch for any fans of this great filmmaker and has some great interviews with the likes of GeorgeLucas Martin Scorsese Brian DePalma etc also delves into his life growing up and how the divorce of his parents had such a big effect on him and how it influenced themes in his films. Well worth the watch 8/10

Watched a really great in-depth documentary called Spielberg which is worth the watch for any fans of this great filmmaker and has some great interviews with the likes of GeorgeLucas Martin Scorsese Brian DePalma etc also delves into his life growing up and how the divorce of his parents had such a big effect on him and how it influenced themes in his films. Well worth the watch 8/10

And the name of that was.....? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Spielberg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

A Ghost Story (2017)

Original piece about a ghost haunting the area of his previous home. Roony Mara is excellent as the traumatized partner. The score was excellent too in fact I think the movie would have not worked without it.

Not a horror film by any stretch of the imagination. More about the afterlife and grief.

Recommended.

Same director editor as Upstream Colour.

Spielberg

Apologies, I missed that in your original post!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeh, That Spielberg doc wasn't bad. But it loses a lot of steam after the segment about 'Saving Private Ryan'. Kinda like Spielberg's career I suppose. The doc seems to just rush through the latter half of his output, without any real impact. Only 'Munich' is given some attention.

But, just like Spielberg's back catalog, the early part is the most interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hercules 1983 Dir Lewis Coates

Amiable and typically old school Italian fantasy number with Lou (Hulk) Ferringno and Sybil Danning. No prizes for guessing who has the bigger boobs! Some of the visuals are actually enjoyably imaginative and colourful while many other are horrible but at least amusing esp the hand at the waterfall moment which is unintentionally pure Python.

Green Room finally, after waiting a long time to see it on Netflix last night. It was a bit of a disappointment tbvh, considering how much I'd heard about it. What it does it does very well, no question about that. It has a lot going for it, but some of it was just meh to me
    some of the violence was completely unrealistic - like how the character's arm was after he handed over the gun - and then taped with duct tape? Come on. Some of the other stuff was silly, and then they balance that with very realistic scenes? Do one or the other!
    I know I'm too picky at times, but was entertaining enough though, and above average for what has become a very weak genre in recent years. 6/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭4Ad

Red Eye with Cillian murphy..not great. Just seemed dated and far fetched !
    American Made...watchable..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭al87987

I Daniel Blake - 7.5/10

Good flick about a guy fighting against the welfare system in England.

The Big Sick - 8.5/10

Funny true story of the comedian Kumail Nanjiani, lol'd a lot, bit weepy at times. Definitely more than an average comedy and one of the best films of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Six Days, Seven Nights. No idea why but I got it in my head that I really wanted to watch it. Rubbish film, but somewhat charming thanks to Ford. If it'd been anyone else in the lead role it would've really stunk the place up.

The 13th Day, a film about the three seers of Fatima, and their visions of Our Lady. It was very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

4Ad wrote: »
    Red Eye with Cillian murphy..not great. Just seemed dated and far fetched !
    American Made...watchable..

I quite liked Red Eye even though it was clearly preposterous - actually that's why I liked it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Brawl in Cell Block 99. Speechless, such a bizarre film, expected a gritty crime thriller and..... partly got that, but mixed up with an Italian 80's exploitation classic. So utterly uneven, ridiculous, tonally all over the shop but yet....strangely endearing. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,585 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Brawl in Cell Block 99. Speechless, such a bizarre film, expected a gritty crime thriller and..... partly got that, but mixed up with an Italian 80's exploitation classic. So utterly uneven, ridiculous, tonally all over the shop but yet....strangely endearing. :confused:

I really liked it I was still thinking about it the day after Vince Vaughan gave a great performance as did Jennifer Carpenter and Don Johnson as the sadistic warden. The fights were brutally violent and realistly done. I think the director S. Craig Zahler was going for a 70’s B movie type feel and it’s a bit Tarantino lite. I’d give it a solid 7/10

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Watching the Spielberg documentary.

The man is a god. Simple as that. Immeasurable talent. The later films take this weird turn and a lot of people aren't fans but they're probably more interesting and thought provoking than the direct straight to the heart method of the earlier films.

It's a wonderful watch. Give it a spin.

I saw Geostorm at the cinema this evening. It was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

branie2 wrote: »
    I saw Geostorm at the cinema this evening. It was brilliant.

Sarcasm?

• Advertisement

No, I really enjoyed it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement