Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Kingsman 2. Not as good as the first but still enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,585 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

1922:- Available on Netflix starring an unrecognisable Thomas Jane, in adaptation of the Stephen King novella. Have to say I enjoyed it as a pretty faithful adaptation, a story of a Man who murders his wife to stop her divorcing and selling off the farm, there are elements of supernatural horror in the movie and some graphic scenes with Rats (one in particular was disgusting). Worth the watch I would give it a 6.5 out of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭s8n

1922:- Available on Netflix starring an unrecognisable Thomas Jane, in adaptation of the Stephen King novella. Have to say I enjoyed it as a pretty faithful adaptation, a story of a Man who murders his wife to stop her divorcing and selling off the farm, there are elements of supernatural horror in the movie and some graphic scenes with Rats (one in particular was disgusting). Worth the watch I would give it a 6.5 out of 10.

I agree, surprisingly good. Well played by Thomas Jane and a lot creepier and gorier than I expected it to be

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The Snowman (posted earlier in another thread)
    Bitterly, bitterly disappointed with it as I've read all of the Harry Hole novels, and I also quite like Nordic Noir TV. Like some posters above I really liked the Headhunters adaptation, but this is just a mess. It's one of those films that's shot well, but just doesn't deliver. Why? It's far too rushed (compared to the book), the story has been changed, some of the cast's accents are just a distraction; but, worst of all for me it doesn't even tie up the many loose ends it leaves in their own edited version! The Harry Hole series of books is 11 strong and I assume they were trying to kick start a franchise here, but I'd be shocked if there's another one made. Part of the problem is it jumps into the book sequence somewhere around the middle, and as a result we miss out much about Hole's back story and what makes him the way he is. The character is so interesting, and the books are so good it would be harder to make a bad Harry Hole movie than a good one, but yet they've managed it.

Piss poor - and I don't say that lightly.....and I like Fassbender! I was actually pretty angry leaving the screening! 3/10.

Also agree on the Kilmer dubbing was off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Yeah, see The Snowman last week and thought it was a load of bollox.

Seen The Ritual earlier tonight and it was no better.

Happy Death Day I seen a few days ago though and I liked it despite my not exactly being in the demographic the film would be aimed at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Red Hill

Might not be for everyone buy I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Happy Death Day was pretty middling. I saw a horror movie called Triangle a few years back and I think they did a hell of a lot more with a similar concept without copying Ground Hog Day so directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Happy Death Day was pretty middling. I saw a horror movie called Triangle a few years back and I think they did a hell of a lot more with a similar concept without copying Ground Hog Day so directly.

That's mad, I watched Triangle only last week. And then again next week, and the week after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Antibirth - Stars Natasha Lyonne, strange but enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

His Girl Friday (1940) Howard Hawkes

The second big screen outing for legendary black comedy play The Front Page and yes it's the one from where this gif comes

796.gif

His Girl Friday never really leaves the stage for which it was written but that's okay, the pacing is frantic despite only two sets for most of the running time. Rosalind Russell is great as Hildy and steals the show from Gary Grant who is the cynic editor to Russells solid pro in the newspaper office. If Friday has a problem it's an odd one - too much dialogue. It never stops coming one call/respond after another with rapid cutting as a roomful of hacks all talk over and around each other. Quite wearing esp with a slightly tinny soundtrack mix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Property of the State, a very good yet disturbing film about the killer Brendan O'Donnell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Wheelman

Didn't expect it to be anywhere near as good as it was, great tension throughout.

bladespin wrote: »
    Wheelman

Didn't expect it to be anywhere near as good as it was, great tension throughout.

Yeah great little flick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Had the misfortune to see Song To Song the other day, one of the worst films I have seen in years. Malick the director has made some astonishing cinema which we are or at least should be familiar with, Badlands, The Thin Red Line, New World and in 2011 The Tree Of Life, something which I try to watch every few months.

However after that his work has fell of a cliff, To The Wonder was at best average,Knights Of Cup was soulless and first world problems personified and Song To Song is just abysmal. Incredibly dull beautiful privileged white people wander around looking for meaning spouting inane drivel. This has been the template of all his work since The Tree Of Life sadly.

Fassbender who desperately needs to be more selective with his roles tries his best and has some gravitas, but its not enough. The rest of the cast die on there arse with incredibly shallow characters and wretched dialogue which seems to be drowned by the vastly overrated cinematography of this mess.

Malick I suspect is finished as a worthwhile director and its good to see for the most part these films are bombing and are poorly received outside the chin stroking hipsters who feel they must revere Malick due to his previous work.

I'd like one more classic before he retires, but he needs to change it up hugely,stop making films set in this era, hire actors who will actually challenge him and think outside the box when casting. Oh and realise a film looking pretty doesn't compensate for unengaging characters.

0/10.

inside llewyn davis

Unlike the washed up Malick, great to see the Coens on top form. Everything Malick tries to avoid these days, witty engaging, sympathetic characters.

Very tempted to be a total nerd and buy the jacket now.:o

9/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I adored To The Wonder, despite hating Ben Affleck in pretty much everything else I've seen. Way he handled relationship breakdown without going into specifics struck a nerve with me. Same thing with Tree of Life and the sense of childhood and what it was to be a kid perfectly. Those two were supposedly pretty autobiographical.

Saw Knight of Cups lately though and was not impressed. His usual sketchy plot was just so loose that it didn't mean anything to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭El Duda

Been getting into the Halloween vibe...

Poltergeist (1982) - 6/10

This is a very strange film to watch in this day and age. It was released as a PG in the States but it was reclassified as a 15 here for the UK release and it one of the softest horror films I've ever seen. Not only were there problems in classifying the film but there have also been  arguments about who actually directed it. Was it Spielberg or was it Tobe Hooper? In the end, both were credited.

For a supposed horror film, this actually has that typical 80's Spielberg vibe that you get from films like E.T or The Goonies. The score is almost uplifting and it contrasts against the scary elements of the film.

It's interesting from a film making perspective and their are some well crafted practical effects as well as some mixed quality computer graphics. Overall its just too dated. This film is queer.

The Guest - 8 / 10

A fun thriller/horror that is set at Halloween and features a stand out performance from Dan Stevens who steals every scene. Seen this a couple of times now and it is a very entertaining, tongue-in-cheek throwback film that you don't often see these days. The 80's soundtrack/score is well worth seeking out and fans of Stranger Things who like that retro vibe will enjoy this.

Halloween 3: Season of the Witch 7 / 10

AKA 'the one without Mike Myers'.

A proper cult classic and one of the most underrated scores I've ever heard on a horror film. The opening titles seem to be the main inspiration for the Stranger Things theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BICyGaJRT18

The acting is ropey and the plot is mental but its just such an interesting direction to take the franchise. The fact that audiences hated it and demanded Mike Myers return for the 4th proves that cinema audiences have been idiots for a long time.

The jingle from THAT advert will haunt your dreams.

Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - 8.5 / 10

Still an enjoyable classic. Love all the surrealist stuff and the dream sequences. The way the parents are written is still as intentionally infuriating as ever.  The Home Alone traps at the end are a bit stupid but this still holds up really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I adored To The Wonder, despite hating Ben Affleck in pretty much everything else I've seen. Way he handled relationship breakdown without going into specifics struck a nerve with me. Same thing with Tree of Life and the sense of childhood and what it was to be a kid perfectly. Those two were supposedly pretty autobiographical.

Saw Knight of Cups lately though and was not impressed. His usual sketchy plot was just so loose that it didn't mean anything to me.

Tree of Life is pretty much perfection. To The Wonder for me wasn't great, but on reflection yeah it did have more soul than Knights Of Cup and Song To Song which are just incredibly boring films. Thankfully his next film is about a man who refused to fight for the Nazis so a welcome break from his current stuff.
    http://www.indiewire.com/2017/04/terrence-malick-radegund-screenplay-style-1201802506/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭briany

I Think We're Alone Now (2009)

Documentary exploring the fandom of Tiffany, the 80s pop singer, principally dealing with two stalker-level super-fans.

A bizarre, sad, and occasionally funny film. The two main subjects display a variety of cognitive and physical issues, but they don't seem like bad people so much as they seem to be under powerful delusions. In a way, the film feels exploitative, but I don't think you could film either of these fans talking for any length of time without it feeling that way, considering what they say and how they are. Overall, really fascinating glimpse into a crazy level of obsession, that I haven't seen since that woman who stalked the DJ Mike Reid.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

El Duda wrote: »
    Halloween 3: Season of the Witch 7 / 10

AKA 'the one without Mike Myers'.

A proper cult classic and one of the most underrated scores I've ever heard on a horror film. The opening titles seem to be the main inspiration for the Stranger Things theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BICyGaJRT18

The acting is ropey and the plot is mental but its just such an interesting direction to take the franchise. The fact that audiences hated it and demanded Mike Myers return for the 4th proves that cinema audiences have been idiots for a long time.

The jingle from THAT advert will haunt your dreams.

FU*K!!!

And now it's back in my head!!!! :mad:

...2 more days to Halloween...Halloween...Halloween....

TURN IT OFF, TURN IT OFF...STOP IT, STOP IT!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭El Duda

Silver Shamrock :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

As its Devil's night aka the night before Halloween i started the day with the 1986 trick r treat and am now looking watching Tales of Halloween, a Halloween based anthology from last year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

La La Land

After 10 mins I was thinking "oh god, there's another 2 hours of this". In fairness, it got slightly better as it went on, buy I still don't get the hype - not much happens, with the occasional unmemorable song interrupting the "action" and then it pretty much ends with a shrug.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

smurf492 wrote: »
    As its Devil's night aka the night before Halloween i started the day with the 1986 trick r treat and am now looking watching Tales of Halloween, a Halloween based anthology from last year
    Will give the makers of that credit for giving some film work to Neil Marshal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

The Lost Boys.

I will always love this movie. I’m trying to watch it now with adult eyes. Pointless. I still remember every line :)
    The grandpa I really appreciate now. He’s brilliant.

Can you watch a film you loved as a kid with cold hard eyes? I can’t. I love this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

david75 wrote: »
    The Lost Boys.

I will always love this movie. I’m trying to watch it now with adult eyes. Pointless. I still remember every line :)
    The grandpa I really appreciate now. He’s brilliant.

Can you watch a film you loved as a kid with cold hard eyes? I can’t. I love this film.

Went to see it in the Sugar Club on Friday, absolutely adore this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭al87987

Spielberg - Documentary on the legendary filmmaker. 8/10.

Loved it, bit spoiler filled but you should have seen all his flicks by now. Probably the Greatest director ever.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Call Me By Your Name

I thought this was fantastic. It was so beautiful to look at, the photography and the lighting were amazing. The acting from the two leads was wonderful, Arnie Hammer isn't exactly stretched playing a handsome, charismatic American but he was still excellent. The star turn is from TimothChalamet as Elio. He's confident and talented but also vulnerable and sad. I don't know if it was really him playing the piano and guitar on screen but the guy is seriously talented. The support are also top class with Michael Stuhlbarg as the Dad being particularly good.

This is definitely in my top 3 films of the year and I will see it again in the cinema before it finishes. My only criticism is that Hammer is slightly too old to sell 24 years old but that's super-trivial. The music is also fab and the final shot is so perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Casablanca in the newly reopened and lavishly revamped Stella Theatre in Rathmines.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Casablanca in the newly reopened and lavishly revamped Stella Theatre in Rathmines.

Nice! Great film and just saw some shots of the cinema, looks class!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Aside from the movie, what was the cinema experience like? And was it worth it in your opinion?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement