Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Contratiempo (The Invisible Guest)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4857264/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Amazing film ! cannot recommend enough, one of the best Spanish films I've ever seen!

edit - and it's on Netflix!!

watch it watch it watch it !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭al87987

Amazing film ! cannot recommend enough, one of the best Spanish films I've ever seen!

watch it watch it watch it !!!!

Top film, love a good mystery thriller.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Thor: Ragnarok

I really don't have a lot of time for superhero movies, but this was good fun, the kids enjoyed it. I mean it doesn't make much sense, and it's too long, but it went well with a huge bucket of popcorn and litre of coke :)

loyatemu wrote: »
    Thor: Ragnarok

I really don't have a lot of time for superhero movies, but this was good fun, the kids enjoyed it. I mean it doesn't make much sense, and it's too long, but it went well with a huge bucket of popcorn and litre of coke :)

Jeff Goldblum alone makes me wanna see this one ..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House (2016)

A beautifully paced piece of atmospheric horror; a gently tightening screw whose relentlessness was quiet & slow but inexorable. Bar two small-scale jump scares, there were few 'conventional' frights in this & so perhaps is not for everyone; however, for those who prefer haunted houses to drip with the dread of dark corners and unhappy memories, rather than things jumping out and going 'boo!', this was a real treat. A few points deducted for somewhat subpar FX perhaps, but nothing that ruined the mood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

Your so cool, Brewster!!!

Very good documentary about the making of Fright Night.. One of my favourite horror films, it's a great background to the film

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Goldstone (2016).

Set in the Australian outback, surprisingly good flick, which may have passed under people's radars.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/goldstone_2016

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Takashi Miike's hundreth feature film was average enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

"Bear Island" (1979) on YouTube.

Thriller based on the book by Alistair MacLean. Strange goings on at a UN research station in the Arctic involving hidden Nazi gold. With a star cast including Donald Sutherland and Richard Widmark it has stood the test of time well. I'm a big fan of movies set in snowy conditions and this fits the bill. 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 12,585 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

smurf492 wrote: »
    Your so cool, Brewster!!!

Very good documentary about the making of Fright Night.. One of my favourite horror films, it's a great background to the film

Damn I wanna see that where did you find it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jh79

Damn I wanna see that where did you find it?

It's on Shudder

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

jh79 wrote:
    It's on Shudder

Yup that's where I saw it. App is free for a week on trial and it connects to chromecast so happy days

Matchstick Men - I remember wanting to go see this when it was on cinema release about 15 years ago .... finally got to see it.
    Decent film, Nic. Cage did the OCD really well, and the ending was really good, improved it as a movie a lot - but the very end - the last few scenes - nah, it was also was one of the most un Ridley Scottish films I've ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

The Love Witch (2016)

Must have flown right over my head coz I thought it was drivel. Watched it to the end, as I felt a redeeming climax had to be there, to justify the rest of its dubious content. I was wrong.

3/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Del.Monte wrote: »
    "Bear Island" (1979) on YouTube.

Thriller based on the book by Alistair MacLean. Strange goings on at a UN research station in the Arctic involving hidden Nazi gold. With a star cast including Donald Sutherland and Richard Widmark it has stood the test of time well. I'm a big fan of movies set in snowy conditions and this fits the bill. 8/10

I saw this recently on Filmfour and it was rather better than I had expected. Excellent cast in a type of film that these days wouldn't have such quality in front of the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Last night after too much alcohol at the weekend I was looking for something light but entertaining, and found a mini-series - "Children of the Stones" (1977) on YouTube.

15288807._SX540_.jpg

Aimed at the younger audience the plot included strange rituals in the dead of night, megalithic standing stones and brainwashed local inhabitants in a Wiltshire village.Throw in a good score, scary chanting and Iain Cuthbertson as a malevolent squire with a God complex......Also in a lead role was the late lamented Gareth Thomas from the sci-fi series Blake's 7.

I enjoyed it anyway - all 200+ minutes of it. :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Watched "I Am Not A Serial Killer" tonight.

If you're not familiar with it, it's about a boy in a small town who has been diagnosed as a sociopath and has a set of rules he sticks to to keep himself from doing anything terrible, like killing. When townsfolk start getting murdered he decides to investigate and the closer he gets to the killer the more he ignores his rules.

It starts off like a thriller/murder mystery but then it takes a supernatural turn. I'm not sure how I felt about that part but all in all its a pretty decent film, great atmosphere throughout, helped by the snowy filming locations.

I believe the director, Billy O'Brien, is Irish and there was some IFB funding in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

If you're not familiar with it, it's about a boy in a small town who has been diagnosed as a sociopath and has a set of rules he sticks to to keep himself from doing anything terrible, like killing. When townsfolk start getting murdered he decides to investigate and the closer he gets to the killer the more he ignores his rules.

It starts off like a thriller/murder mystery but then it takes a supernatural turn. I'm not sure how I felt about that part but all in all its a pretty decent film, great atmosphere throughout, helped by the snowy filming locations.

I believe the director, Billy O'Brien, is Irish and there was some IFB funding in there too.

Remember liking that, even after the twist. Odd, but entertaining.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I enjoyed it up to the twist, I thought it lost it's way after that. I'll be keeping an eye out for more film from this director though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    I enjoyed it up to the twist, I thought it lost it's way after that. I'll be keeping an eye out for more film from this director though.

I believe it's based on a series of books so maybe it works better in that medium but in the film it just felt a bit unnecessary and I felt like everything would have worked exactly the same without the twist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Maximum Overdrive 1986. Dir Stephen King

Truly terrible yarn about machinary coming to life and terrorising the yokels of a south Carolina truck stop. In the hands of say Paul Bartel or Lewis Teague at 85 mins it would be good fun but this suffers badly from poor pacing and witless characters/dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Justice League this evening at the cinema. It was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Unbreakable. Hadn't seen it since it came out. Forgot how good it was. Had to watch it as had recently seen Split, and had read about Unbreakable 2/Glass.
    Well worth a rewatch if you haven't seen it for a while.
    Will watch 6th Sense in the next week hopefully.

Green Street Hooligans - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385002/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Terrible film.
    Bad acting + Elijah Wood was miscast.
    As one reviewer said "Looks through rose tinted glasses at a subculture that should have been stomped out long ago"

And why the American angle ? to appeal to the Hollywood masses more .
    Rubbish.

If you want to see a good film on football hooligans (one that doesn't glorify it) check out ID - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113375/?ref_=nv_sr_1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭4Ad

watch it watch it watch it.

Really enjoyed this..Def worth watching. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Shot Caller is a very interesting and well made prison drama, as long as you don't mind watching films with a nonlinear narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Daddy's Home 2 at the cinema yesterday. It was very funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Blade of the Immortal. Quality action stuff but I'm a bit biased when it comes to Japanese cinema and samurai. Good hungover movie

7.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Heckler

Hangman.

Serial killer thriller with Al Pacino and Karl Urban.

An absolute disaster. Pacino couldn't have looked more disinterested if he tried.

Granted I only lasted 40 minutes but I doubt it kicked ass in the last 40.

Godawful script and godawful acting especially the pathologist.

Avoid/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

In the last 10 years Pacino had/has a policy of still looking for $20m per movie. So they go and make a $500,000 movie for him where everything else is cheap as chips and then the movie does well enough on name recognition alone in foreign markets to make the money back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement