Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭j.s. pill II

4Ad wrote: »
    Contratiempo (The Invisible Guest)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4857264/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Amazing film ! cannot recommend enough, one of the best Spanish films I've ever seen!

edit - and it's on Netflix!!

watch it watch it watch it.

Really enjoyed this..Def worth watching. Thanks

Good old yarn. Quite enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Disposable1

branie2 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Atomic Blonde

Me too, I loved it actually. I preferred it to John Wick 2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭joombo

The Invitation 7/10
    It's like they drove through Hollywood on a busy afternoon and threw out a net to capture all the character actors. Everyone in this movie was a "Wait, where do I know them from?" type. Nice slow burn tension. The final shot was definitely the best thing in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Heckler

Dunkirk

Huh ? / 10

I'm surely missing something considering the reviews.

I'm a fan of war movies but this just left me stone cold especially after reading reviews calling it a masterpiece and the best war movie of all time.

In modern terms the likes of Black Hawk Down, Lone Survivor, Saving Private Ryan and others leave it in the ha'penny place. Even the likes of the opening of "Enemy at the Gates" with the Volga being divebombed by stukas was done better. Hell even the bombing sequence in "Pearl Harbour" was better.

The biggest thing I can't forgive is the fact that about 400,000 troops were on the beach. What do we see ? Long stretches of open, barren beach with a few lines of soldiers here and there. Its was like Inchadoney on a wet november sunday.

Was a very bloodless event too apparently. Beach bombed and a few lads lie about. Not a hint of blood never mind the grusomness that must have been involved.

The score at the beginning was great leading me to believe something was about to happen. It didn't.

The ariel combat scenes looked good but were lifeless. Movies such as "Memphis Belle" did it better and were far more exciting.

Tom Hardy (and I'm a fan) could have been any half decent actor for all he had to do. Same for Branagh and Murphy.

The evacuation of Dunkirk was an astounding feat. I don't think Nolans effort goes near realising the scale of it. Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Heckler wrote: »
    Dunkirk

Huh ? / 10

I'm surely missing something

Yep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Christmas in El Camino, little gem packed with familiar faces, could've been a tv movie but turned into gold.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Yep.

So educate me. Seriously. Ok the 400,000 weren't all on the beach at once, I know it took a week or so but other than that please enlighten me beyond your smug yep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Dunkirk, 2017. Left very underwhelmed. Never got the sense that the troops were in immenent danger, or that there 400,000 odd on the beaches. For all its jingoism i much prefer the 1958? version with John Mills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Dunkirk is a masterpiece

I'm surely missing something considering the reviews.

I'm a fan of war movies but this just left me stone cold especially after reading reviews calling it a masterpiece and the best war movie of all time.

In modern terms the likes of Black Hawk Down, Lone Survivor, Saving Private Ryan and others leave it in the ha'penny place. Even the likes of the opening of "Enemy at the Gates" with the Volga being divebombed by stukas was done better. Hell even the bombing sequence in "Pearl Harbour" was better.

The biggest thing I can't forgive is the fact that about 400,000 troops were on the beach. What do we see ? Long stretches of open, barren beach with a few lines of soldiers here and there. Its was like Inchadoney on a wet november sunday.

Was a very bloodless event too apparently. Beach bombed and a few lads lie about. Not a hint of blood never mind the grusomness that must have been involved.

The score at the beginning was great leading me to believe something was about to happen. It didn't.

The ariel combat scenes looked good but were lifeless. Movies such as "Memphis Belle" did it better and were far more exciting.

Tom Hardy (and I'm a fan) could have been any half decent actor for all he had to do. Same for Branagh and Murphy.

The evacuation of Dunkirk was an astounding feat. I don't think Nolans effort goes near realising the scale of it. Very disappointing.
    RasTa wrote: »
    Dunkirk is a masterpiece

I like most of Nolans films and I like war films but please explain to me how its a masterpiece. Not having a go at all. If you think it is fair enough but I'd like to hear why you think so.

• Advertisement

So educate me. Seriously. Ok the 400,000 weren't all on the beach at once, I know it took a week or so but other than that please enlighten me beyond your smug yep.

I grew up with the war in my house 24/7. My old man was in the Royal Engineers from 1943 and my mother was evacuated from Guernsey in 1940. So, my house was full of "the war" since I was born. Everywhere I looked there were books on it, every Sunday there was a war film on the tele, a large proportion of conversation was about it, etc. I've been studying the war since, so while not trying to be smug about it, I can claim a bit of knowledge on the subject.

While 'Dunkirk' has its share of problems, the ones you've outlined aren't indicative of them. The real Dunkirk never had 400,000 men packed together in one group. To do so would have been stupid, even if it would have looked cool in a film 70 years later. They were spread out over a very large area. This is borne out by photographic evidence.

dunkirk-11.jpg?w=669

Also, it was actually largely a "bloodless" affair, as far as war goes. The Germans halted their advance and confined their assaults to pin pricks and nuisance attacks, harrying shipping and the like and most dogfights took place far away from the actual beaches. But, by and large, the men of the BEF waited patiently to board their transports and head back to England. There were no 'Saving Private Ryan' moments and Stukas didn't dive bomb in their hundreds. Dynamo may have been an "astounding" feat, but it was so, precisely because of the lack of any real action to stop it - The Germans were probably unable to do so, if they'd really tried anyway. The Germans also didn't drive home their attacks and were reluctant to commit the bulk of the airforce. Hitler was largely happy to simply see the British gone from France. In fact, both sides used their forces quite sparingly.

So, while 'Dunkirk' looks pallid compared to the bombastic nature of something like 'Enemy at the Gates', 'Memphis Belle', Pearl Harbor' or the aforementioned 'Saving Private Ryan', it is, in fact, closer to depicting its true life events than any of those films, all of which are highly fictionalised takes on the war.

But, as said, it's certainly not without issues. The aerial scenes being the worst offenders, with Hardy's super shot Spitfire pilot downing suicidal Luftwaffe pilots, like he was flying in a computer game. The Germans never once seem to be acting like there real counterparts in any of those scenes and are there as simple targets for Fighter Command to do away with. The final sequence of Hardy downing a Stuka while out of fuel was laughable, at best and insulting at worst. There's also some guff from Brannagh that should have been left out of the film entirely, as well. A bit too movie and at odds with the rest of the film, I felt.

But, apart from that, Nolan does a great job. He admirably restrains himself from cliche (for the most part) and refrains from making it a hollywood bloodbath. Yet, he manages to keep the tension active superbly. It's shot well, acted convincingly, avoids "drama", eschews schmaltz and lets the events speak for themselves.

It's certainly not "best war movie of all time" and I haven't heard anyone actually say that, although there are sure to be some engaging in that type of hyperbole, no doubt. But it is a very good film, all the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think what some viewers are "missing" about Dunkirk is that it's not really a war genre film. Nolan is harkening back to an older tradition of spectacle and suspense films from the silent and early talky era. It worked for me but I can understand why it doesn't work for other viewers. There's a reason why genres exist and why filmmakers are careful not to depart too far from genre conventions. Audiences go into a film with certain expectations which they expect to have met.

As discussed to death in the Dunkirk thread, and by Tony above, the beach scenes are closer to the historical reality than has probably been put on screen before. Most people's mental image of Dunkirk is probably informed by propaganda from the time, which subsequent cinematic representations built on. However, films aren't about reality they are about realism, which like genre is just a set of conventions which evolve over time, so there's probably a good argument that Nolan fails as a visual storyteller to get across the scale of the evacuation to modern audiences.

And I disagree that the film is jingoistic. I thought the finale sequence contains one of the best comments I've seen in a film about how propaganda can shape public understandings of war.

Tony EH wrote: »
    I grew up with the war in my house 24/7. My old man was in the Royal Engineers from 1943 and my mother was evacuated from Guernsey in 1940. So, my house was full of "the war" since I was born. Everywhere I looked there were books on it, every Sunday there was a war film on the tele, a large proportion of conversation was about it, etc. I've been studying the war since, so while not trying to be smug about it, I can claim a bit of knowledge on the subject.

While 'Dunkirk' has its share of problems, the ones you've outlined aren't indicative of them. The real Dunkirk never had 400,000 men packed together in one group. To do so would have been stupid, even if it would have looked cool in a film 70 years later. They were spread out over a very large area. This is borne out by photographic evidence.

dunkirk-11.jpg?w=669

Also, it was actually largely a "bloodless" affair, as far as war goes. The Germans halted their advance and confined their assaults to pin pricks and nuisance attacks, harrying shipping and the like and most dogfights took place far away from the actual beaches. But, by and large, the men of the BEF waited patiently to board their transports and head back to England. There were no 'Saving Private Ryan' moments and Stukas didn't dive bomb in their hundreds. Dynamo may have been an "astounding" feat, but it was so, precisely because of the lack of any real action to stop it - The Germans were probably unable to do so, if they'd really tried anyway. The Germans also didn't drive home their attacks and were reluctant to commit the bulk of the airforce. Hitler was largely happy to simply see the British gone from France. In fact, both sides used their forces quite sparingly.

So, while 'Dunkirk' looks pallid compared to the bombastic nature of something like 'Enemy at the Gates', 'Memphis Belle', Pearl Harbor' or the aforementioned 'Saving Private Ryan', it is, in fact, closer to depicting its true life events than any of those films, all of which are highly fictionalised takes on the war.

But, as said, it's certainly not without issues. The aerial scenes being the worst offenders, with Hardy's super shot Spitfire pilot downing suicidal Luftwaffe pilots, like he was flying in a computer game. The Germans never once seem to be acting like there real counterparts in any of those scenes and are there as simple targets for Fighter Command to do away with. The final sequence of Hardy downing a Stuka while out of fuel was laughable, at best and insulting at worst. There's also some guff from Brannagh that should have been left out of the film entirely, as well. A bit too movie and at odds with the rest of the film, I felt.

But, apart from that, Nolan does a great job. He admirably restrains himself from cliche (for the most part) and refrains from making it a hollywood bloodbath. Yet, he manages to keep the tension active superbly. It's shot well, acted convincingly, avoids "drama", eschews schmaltz and lets the events speak for themselves.

It's certainly not "best war movie of all time" and I haven't heard anyone actually say that, although there are sure to be some engaging in that type of hyperbole, no doubt. But it is a very good film, all the same.

I accept all your well made points no problem but still ask Huh ? 8.3 on IMDB ?

It was a lacklustre movie. I disagree that there was any tension at all. The score drove the tension into scenes that weren't tense at all. Take that score out and you have a bunch of lads looking up. While it was a fantastic endevour in real life maybe it just doesn't make for a good film because in reality it was a bit boring ? Obviously not for anyone there but from an audience POV 70 odd years later.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/peter-travers-dunkirk-may-be-greatest-war-film-ever-w492668

I have no idea if you rate Rolling Stone but thats just one quick google of Dunkirk reviews calling it the best thing since sliced bread.

A quote:From first frame to last, Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk is a monumental achievement, a World War II epic of staggering visual spectacle (see it in IMAX if you can) that hits you like a shot in the heart.

It's shot well, acted convincingly, avoids "drama", eschews schmaltz. Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I expected not to like Dunkirk, as I really don't like Nolans style, but I loved it with some reservations. Apart from the dogfights it was visually awful. Just awful. I'm all for minimal cgi but little of it looked authentic. At times it was laughable. Clothes and paintjobs all gleaming! The modern looking set of Dunkirk itself. :p It kept pulling me away from the immersion.

The unrelenting score took the edge off scenes where it was supposed to build tension. The silence was a relief when I switched it off.

Apart from that it was great. I like that there was little or no character development. The story worked well, moved at a nice pace and there was enough there to know what the key characters were about. I found myself rooting for everyone half way through! 4/5

I accept all your well made points no problem but still ask Huh ? 8.3 on IMDB ?

It was a lacklustre movie. I disagree that there was any tension at all. The score drove the tension into scenes that weren't tense at all. Take that score out and you have a bunch of lads looking up. While it was a fantastic endevour in real life maybe it just doesn't make for a good film because in reality it was a bit boring ? Obviously not for anyone there but from an audience POV 70 odd years later.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/peter-travers-dunkirk-may-be-greatest-war-film-ever-w492668

I have no idea if you rate Rolling Stone but thats just one quick google of Dunkirk reviews calling it the best thing since sliced bread.

A quote:From first frame to last, Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk is a monumental achievement, a World War II epic of staggering visual spectacle (see it in IMAX if you can) that hits you like a shot in the heart.

It's shot well, acted convincingly, avoids "drama", eschews schmaltz. Agreed.

I think a 7 or an 8 is fair. Don't see any problem with that. It's probably how I rated it myself. I can't recall.

But, if you don't like the film, you don't like the film and that's perfectly fine. Only you can tell what you're entertained by.

But, yes, you are "missing" what the film is trying to convey. That's also fine. But, it's informing your opinion.

As for reviews, they are a snapshot in time. It's how a reviewer felt during the period. A lot of reviewers can often "review" what they've written later an form a different opinion. You may do so as well.

But take reviews for anything with a pinch of salt - there are reviews of 'Wonder Woman' that portray it as the greatest thing since sliced bread and left me "wondering" if I'd seen the wrong film. I usually try to read none before I see a picture. These days they give too much away. But, when I do read them, I'll read a number of them and in any case, I'll form my own opinion and let others have theirs. They usually don't influence whether I go to see a film in any case - even if my cinema trips are fewer and fewer these days.

Regarding the tension of the film, personally speaking, from the moment the Fionn Whitehead's squad was fired upon in the opening, until he disembarked at Dover, I thought the atmosphere was very well sustained. With particular unease during the sinking ship sequence, which was horrifying, without being overblown. It was all fairly low key, but very taut in a realistic way.

Again though, if you don't like the film, you don't like it. It's as simple as that. But, in a cinematic world where I can count the good war films on the fingers of my hands, 'Dunkirk' is very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The Usual Suspects on Blu Ray. First re-watch in a while, but still quite engaging. One thing that was interesting for me from a re-watch perspective was how far Spacey's name is down the list on the opening credits; and one thing that was disappointing was the Blu Ray had no extras apart from some trailers (I have a 2 disc DVD version that has a commentary so you'd think they would include that at least?). It's not without its flaws, but the only real gripe I'd have is
    Kujan (Palminteri) would have been able to see Kint walk away from the closing shot we see outside the Police Station - it's really obvious in a rewatch
    . 8/10.

The Killing of A Scared Deer in the cinema. Looks good, sounds good and a great performance from Barry Keoghan; but overall left me a bit underwhelmed. It's too long IMO, it's pretentious, and just feels a bit empty. Also some of Colin Farrel's dialogue (particularly in the first half of the film) seem to be delivered as if he's simply reading them - not sure if I'm the only one who thought this? 5/10.

Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 9 this past weekend. Usual Larry David fare. I'm a latecomer and a bit of a fan having done seasons 1-8 in a short period of time around this time last year on DVD but there's nothing new here, it's just more of the same and the set ups are very obvious. It's not bad though, and certainly better than a lot of comedy out there, but I really do have to wonder aside from I'm guessing a very large check what benefit there was in doing this? 7/10.

Hired Gun - really insightful documentary on Netflix about the life of the elite of the elite session musicians. If you have any interest in rock music in particular, a must see. A strong 7/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Two Days, One Night

A great Belgian-French film starring Marion Coutillard as a woman who is desperate to keep her job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Shame to see Dunkirk, getting a bashing here by some. Probably along with Blade Runner my personal film of the year. I do think a lot of the hate is down to Nolan, he's a director that has a massive fanbase along with a lot of people that dislike him. They will criticise a Nolan film harsher then any other directors work. To one person saying Dunkirk isn't a masterpiece, well sorry good sir but not everyone agrees with you. 10/10 for me

Anyway I'm on a recent John Hillcoat buzz and watched two of his films

Lawless (2012)

Underrated prohibition gangster film set in the Deep South, with one of the most sinister turns by Guy Pearce, who really dials it up to 11. Tom Hardy does his best Marlon Brando impression and is great as per usual. Jessica Chastian delivers one of her more underrated performances. I think the film is let down by Shia LeBeouf in the lead role, he's not a leading man and never will be and is badly miscast here. He's better playing oddballs and sidekick to the villain type characters. But it does hold a great Nick Cave script and Soundtrack by him and Warren Ellis. Overall a decent watch 7/10

The Proposition

One of the best films of the 00's and one of the greatest westerns imo, dark and downbeat and definitely not a easy watch but also beautiful in a way. With a career best turns from Guy Pearce and Danny Huston also Ray Winstone who's character in any other film could be played as the straight out villain but actually along with Emily Watson is the moral compass of the film. Also throw in a great turn from the late great John Hurt. Nick Cave with a great script and soundtrack, wonderful cinematography, and one of the best endings to a film. Hillcoats best film to date 10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Die Hard - Christmas! That can mean only one thing: Bruce Willis in a sweaty, dirty and, downright bloody vest. A lot's been lost since we all got all digital over analogue in most avenues of our lives, but, hey, at least there's semi-regular showings of classic films at appropriate times of the year. Ho-Ho-Ho.

Yeah, Die-Hard. It's still fcking amazing. It probably will always be fcking amazing. Once you get past the dated fashions and hairstyles it's the story of a regular guy trying to survive his night with gun-toting hostage takers - more relevant than ever!

You all know it inside out and back to front at this stage. Everything is so right on the money; the way the script is super lean and everything - everything - is planted and paid off with maximum efficiency, it's miraculous; the pacing, you get brought on a journey that never flags or goes completely haywire to the point of overkill - it's just natural, logical within the world of the film, but never less than thrilling; so many great one-liners - I know Alan Rickman steals the show, but Bruce Willis was never better either; so much classic '80's homo-eroticism - Here's a fun drinking game: take a shot each time someone says the word "ass" on screen, you will be blackout drunk by the end of it. Guaranteed. Hans! Bubby! Beautiful squibbage throught

Yeah there's a few dumb bits here and there - storming the building? How was that supposed to work? The FBI guys plan? Did they have to be that arrogant or that stupid? But, sure, as John McClane himself would say, "fuck it!"; It's still an amazing film. About as close to action movie perfection as could ever be conceived.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Arghus wrote: »
    Yeah there's a few dumb bits here and there

utfpPLZ.gif

diehard-killme3.gif?w=650

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

The sequential editing for all the action scenes in Die Hard is timeless, so visceral, you can almost feel every hit. The sound design is still perfect too

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

It's probably the only action film from the 80's that I could genuinely say I love.

"Come out to coast...have a few laughs..." :pac:

‘Mystic River’

Probably Clint Eastwood’s finest film, with a cast that’s spot on in every respect. It deals with many themes, including the buried past, a volatile present and lost childhood. The three leads (Sean Penn, Kevin Bacon and Tim Robbins) are on top of their game, with excellent support from Lawrence Fishburne, Marcia Gay Hardin and Laura Linney. There’s no overacting, there’s no gurning to cameras, or robbing limelight. Everyone plays a completely believable person. The story never once falters and encourages viewer confusion in a positive way, regarding Tim Robbins’ actions – which conclude to an open, but satisfactory ending. ‘Mystic River’ rewards clean viewing – in that knowing nothing of the story yields the best results.

9/10

‘A lonely Place to Die’

Entertaining British thriller (in a quite old fashioned way) about a group of mountain climbers tackling cliff faces in Scotland. They stumble upon a young girl, hidden in a box in the middle of nowhere that leads them into trouble with some real scum. The protagonist cast are all capable, if largely unlikeable, but it’s the lead “bad guy” that aids the film considerably. Sean Harris plays someone truly disgusting. An absolute lowlife. But, he’s never OTT and doesn’t descend into parody, in a role that it’s dangerously easy to do so. The ending gets a bit too shootemup and is somewhat at odds with the rural locations of the first third, but on the whole, it’s well worth a look.

8/10

‘Ghost World’

One of the best films of its type – although I’m unsure what that “type” is – ‘Ghost World’ follows two recently graduated high school girls as they embark on the first few unsteady steps into the real world of crap jobs, dodgy relationships and the, sometimes, randomness of life outside of the false sense of security that one’s schooldays provide. Both the strangely monotone Scarlett Johansson and the delightfully quirky Thora Birch are just great to watch as they wander the streets of their unnamed American town, which is both depressingly normal and interestingly odd at the same time. Steve Buscemi props them up as the sympathetic loser that Birch forms an unlikely attachment to in a bizarre relationship that feels both right and horribly wrong.

‘Ghost World’ resonates as a comment on the weird nature of being a teen, who wants to be different, in the crushingly normal world of college applications and low paid service jobs. It speaks to both sexes despite the focus on females and its non-story reflects the often aimless nature that life at that age is.

A great film that I cannot pick out anything to be critical about. It’s funny, sad and smart, without ever being forced or feeling scripted and it fully deserves its score.

10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

"A Breed of Heroes" (1994) BBC NI - on YouTube.

a-breed-of-heroes.jpg

Gritty British army drama about the Northern Ireland troubles as things were kicking off in the early 1970s. A group of young officers react to their hostile surroundings in different ways. Starts off with a wobble but improves steadily and is well worth a look. It's a hard one to find as it never had a video or DVD release; it's only up a short time on YouTube and will probably be taken down before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

Good Time (2017)

Had a Great time watching this, fast paced, in your face, pissing in your pants laughing entertainment. A petty crook drags his mentally ill brother into a bank robbery and then it all goes totally pear shaped. The soundtrack by OPN is also brilliant, great listen for looking out the window of a train. Fantastic modern film from the USA. 8/10

Boogie Nights (1997)

Always a pleasure to watch this thing. One of my go to movies to watch around Christmas, probably has something to do with the twisted family dynamic of the whole Burt Reynolds crew. The Alfred Molina drug den house scene is one of the greatest scenes ever in any film. Might well watch it again in a few days. 10/10

Goodfellas (1990)

Another go to movie for me around Christmas time. "whats the world coming to?" BANG "there... thats what its coming to"
    10/10

The Deuce (2017) HBO Series

This was alright, not gritty enough though I felt. Seemed like that time frame of New York and it's people was somewhat watered down and everybody in this thing is too "right on man" and buddy buddy friendly. I get that Simon is probably trying to humanise the scene so the audience can be somewhat empathetic but a lot of the time you are just really aware you are watching actors. I'm probably too much of a 'Wire' fan and expected the same. This is more like someone copying Boogie nights and trying to give it a Noo Yawk Scorsese vibe, Still its good, some great moments and fantastically shot, it looks the part but not visceral enough for me
    5/10

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

buried wrote: »
    Good Time (2017)

Had a Great time watching this, fast paced, in your face, pissing in your pants laughing entertainment. A petty crook drags his mentally ill brother into a bank robbery and then it all goes totally pear shaped. The soundtrack by OPN is also brilliant, great listen for looking out the window of a train. Fantastic modern film from the USA. 8/10

Boogie Nights (1997)

Always a pleasure to watch this thing. One of my go to movies to watch around Christmas, probably has something to do with the twisted family dynamic of the whole Burt Reynolds crew. The Alfred Molina drug den house scene is one of the greatest scenes ever in any film. Might well watch it again in a few days. 10/10

Good Time, probably along with the Disaster Artist, is one of the surprises of the year. Damn it was intense and who would have thought 6 or 7 years ago that Robert Pattinson would turn into one of the more interesting actors around, with this and The Lost City of Z. Throw in roles in The Rover, Maps To The Stars, Life. But he's fantastic in Good Time and deserves every bit of praise he gets. Hopefully he go on and prove many wrong.

Boogie Nights, is PTA is most underrated work. Yeah sure it isn't as arty or out there like his recent works and he's obviously indebted to Scorsese and Altman with the camera work and storylines with different characters. Wahlberg and Reynolds have never been better, but Moore steals the film. Also Heather Graham showed what she could have been but sadly wasted. The Alfred Molina scene is a standout but I have to go for Wahlberg and John C Reilly in the recording studio recording the Transformer's song "You Got The Touch" with Wahlberg delivering some awful vocals, it's so awkward but funny as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Atomic Blonde - Missus picked it up. Wow wa wee wa, absolute turd, music was good I guess.

Manhunt: Unabomber

On Netflix right now, an 8 parter starring Sam Worthington, Paul Bettany, Jeremy Bobb, Chris Noth amongst others (Brían F. O'Byrne appears in a few episodes too). I found it very uneven insofar as it starts off strongly, but fades pretty quickly. Had a real TV-movie feel to it. Good performances from Bobb (in particular), Bettany, and Noth but what was most disappointing however
    is the amount of poetic licence they brought to the story - staying true to the original version would likely have served this better
    . 5/10.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭joombo

Paddington 2 8/10.

Was an extended family trip to watch it as it was my cousin's birthday and he was the gaffer on the film.
    Wasn't expecting much but really enjoyed it. A lot better than the first.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement