Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Logan
    I saw this in the cinema and I enjoyed it. Watched it again the other night and really enjoyed it. The relationship between Charles and Logan especially is wonderful and heartbreaking and completely natural. There’s so much in this film to love. The comic book elements can get a little jarring at points (the attack on the house and family being murdered, mainly). They almost don’t sit well with the heart of the story between Logan and Xavier and Laura, But other than that it’s such a good watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

American Made - I was hungover and feeling like life was my worst enemy. What I needed was some slick and breezy entertainment. Hey, Tom Cruise! Tom Cruise always provides slick and easy and I'd heard that American Made was fairly good, so what the hell, I gave it a whirl.

Yeah, it's watchable enough - quite enjoyable in places. And it is brazenly amoral in a kind of good-natured way, which is refreshing: no time here for lectures about the rights and the wrongs of murky world that our hero suddenly finds himself thrust into; it's all about the thrill of making those bucks. Cruise is pretty good in this film, in fact he's probably the best thing in it - he manages to be quite funny at times, which isn't something I would have said was one of his greatest attributes as a movie-star, but he seems to be enjoying himself here - flashing the grin, dropping a few f-bombs, doing a fairly okay job at a Southern accent, playing the part well of a man with a bit of gumption and can-do attitude but who lacks a good bit of common sense.

But, yet, it left me feeling a bit unsatisfied - it's entertaining and well-made, but it felt a bit rushed in parts and certain details of the real-life story felt glossed over and never fully explored. I appreciate that the film was trying to tell a story about a man who got caught up in those crazy times in the 80's and trying to avoid too much empty sermonizing about it all, but I felt it lacked any kind of moral dimension whatsoever - and I think even a teeny-weeny attempt at one would have helped ground it somewhat in reality instead of making it feel quite close to a live-action cartoon. I never felt like the stakes in the movie were real, which is surprising, because if you look at the history of what really happened it was a pretty damn grim tale.

Wheelman - On Netflix. Passable enough b-movie starring Frank Grillo as a tough as nails getaway driver who after a botched job etc, etc, etc - you know the drill. There's nothing really too amazing here. The movie is equal parts a cheaper shittier version of Drive and Locke. It's not bad, it is watchable, but it's a pity that it's not a little bit more than that because it starts off quite well - the first act is taut and precise and even if it's ultimately highly derivative it feels like it knows what it is about. But as the film progresses that initial tautness gives way to increasing bagginess and by the end it's all got a bit silly. Still though, far from the worst straight to Netflix movie I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Watched Bladerunner 2049.

Before I started I didn't know what to expect. I had heard many work colleagues say how slow and long it was. I can live with slow and long if its good.

But just before Xmas I rewatched the original as the OH had never seen it. I hadn't seen it myself in maybe 15yrs. I always had it in the back of my mind as a great film. But I was very disappointed on the rewatch. It just didnt do it for me. Not sure if I found it dated or not, but it didn't seem to be the classic I remembered from my youth. Perhaps I had got rid of the rose-tinted glasses and compared it to a lot more films I had seen since 1982? I think I posted on here that I thought it was only a 6/10 at best.

Anyway, back to 2049. I really wasn't holding out much hope, as I was expecting more of the same. Slow, moody, arty etc. But I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, its slow and calculated, but for some reason I found it more engaging than the original. And I am not a fan of the lead actor (whose name escapes me as I type).

I'd give it a 8/10.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Patriots Day i.e. a proud letter to Boston.

I see Pete Bradshaw wasn't keen on Wahlberg, I dunno, Pete. His character is dedicated, hardworking - fond of a drink at all hours, and on the job, integral to the investigation. As to the bombing, there's a strong sense of unease once the elite runners start finishing the race. At this stage, the bombers start to move into place and you know what's coming. There's mixture of CCTV and news footage used. The most difficult parts I found were the kid in the buggy and the state trooper guarding the body of the 8 year old. This is Peter Berg telling human stories - and that's no bad thing. He does appear to let his own politics slip in there once or twice "I'm not gonna let Fox News run this investigation", as said by Kevin Bacon's character. I was a little less interested once the focus shifted to following the bombers directly (carjacking, etc). That said, the net tightening and capture was well done. At least half a dozen pipe bombs were thrown at the police, ordinary officers that is, not SWAT. The younger brother was loathsome and juvenile
    and I mentally cheered when the older one was run over.
    The scene with the wife was interesting. Good turn from Khandi Alexander here. Worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Back on the Irish Movie research trail since Christmas and I've been wading through all sorts just to catch up.

"Faraway" (2013) - Belfast: Two Polish lads rip-off a Belfast gang and a Chinese gang with inevitable consequences. Low budget stuff but at under an hour just about watchable. Full movie on YouTube.

"Irish & Proud of It" (1936) - Comedy - As a practical joke an Irish singer in London is kidnapped by his friends and flown to Ireland where he is dumped on a hillside near the village that he left 40 years previously. He meets the locals and another returned emigre - a gangster from the USA - who has the village well under his control and runs a poitin business. Harmless stuff. The full movie is available on the BFI Player here: https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-irish-and-proud-of-it-1936-online

"Shamus" (1958) - Chidren's Comedy/Drama

The adventures of a young orphan boy who steals a leprechaun’s crock of gold. However, he gets more than he bargained for when the leprechaun puts a curse on him and he suddenly sprouts a monkey’s tail.
    This is more than just a quirky tale for children and there’s lots to entertain everybody in particular the views of Northern Ireland fadó fadó – in colour – are outstanding. A rare movie which is available on YouTube.

I've also just started on the TV series "Moone Boy" - which really hits the spot - don't know how I missed it before now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Logan - Majority of the superhero genre is rubbish (pew pew). This film was dark, bloody and brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭p to the e

Slow West - Recorded from late night Film4. Fassbender and Ben Mendehlson star in an enjoyable movie that doesn't hang about too long; comes in at about 90 minutes. Everyone plays their parts well and there's enough action and fine cinematography to keep you interested. I got a real feel of "The Proposition" from it but just not as grim, although there is grimness galore to keep even the noblest sadist happy. 8/10

The Big Sick - I must be in a minority that didn't like this film and just found it annoying. Everyone just seemed to be trying too hard to look to be in an "independent" film even though Judd Apatow's non-independent mitts are all over this. The sickly sweetness of this just left me even more cynical, if possible. The whole heckling thing just bugged me. Ray Romano puts in a fine performance though. Fun fact: Zoe Kazan is the grand daughter of Elia Kazan. 4/10

"Damage"(2007) on the RTE Player

Depressing RTE Drama about rape in Celtic Tiger Ireland. Dublin looked well in the movie - the camera never lies. Lol.

Damage - mainly to the reputation of Dublin's tasteless nouveau riche.

3/10 and that's for the scenery.

Only on the Player for three more days!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Dunkirk. I so so so so regret not seeing this in the cinema now. What a cracking film considering it had such sparse dialogue and the score was so perfect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance - modestly enjoyable period drama with occasional lashings of exploitation. It’s alright.

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx - that’s more like it. Not a hint of nonsense to be found: short, sharp and to the bloody point, with emphasis on the bloody.

There seems to be something about first sequels in Japanese exploitation cinema of this era when the directors just managed to get it very, very right for whatever reason. Female Prisoner Scorpion: Jailhouse 41 is, however, still the pinnacle of psychedelic, hyper violent follow-ups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,103 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Three Billboards - Absolutely superb movie. Insert performance but McDormand as well as excellent performances from both Harrelson and Rockwell (who I've always liked).

I,Tonya - Excellent telling of the story of Tonya Harding and her fall from grace in 1994. Alison Janney plays her mother and she steals the show for the most part. Margot Robbie is also very good as Harding and the story is funny, sad and annoying all at once. Great watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭briany

One False Move (1992)

After committing a messy crime spree, three wanted criminals go on the lam from L.A toward a hideout in Star City, Arkansas. On their tail are two L.A. cops and a local Arkansas sheriff who is all too happy to be part of a 'big-time' crime investigation.

Really engaging, solid thriller with a nice 'southern' type of flavour and some comic elements to it. Bill Paxton is excellent as Dale 'Hurricane' Dixon, the Arkansas sheriff

Bella Mafia 1987 Very good film with Dennis Farina, Natasha Kinski, Vanessa Redgrave another recognizable faces. Very hard to describe the storyline really, its a Mafia family saga of a sicilian family, various vendetta's and an estranged son who works his way back into the family in the most intriguing way. Well worth a watch if you have almost 3 hours to spare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance - modestly enjoyable period drama with occasional lashings of exploitation. It’s alright.

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx - that’s more like it. Not a hint of nonsense to be found: short, sharp and to the bloody point, with emphasis on the bloody.

There seems to be something about first sequels in Japanese exploitation cinema of this era when the directors just managed to get it very, very right for whatever reason. Female Prisoner Scorpion: Jailhouse 41 is, however, still the pinnacle of psychedelic, hyper violent follow-ups.

The LW&C series is one if my favourite franchises. I bought the DVD boxset years ago and recently picked up the Criterion blu set. Havnt watched them yet though. They seemed to get better as they went along and the only thing that annoyed me is the conclusion of White Heaven in Hell / the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭briany

WoodChipper Massacre (1988)

Comedy-horror

Three teenage siblings are left home alone with their authoritarian aunt for the week while their dad's off on business. Things take a sour turn and deaths happen. A woodchipper is also involved.

By all metrics, this should be a terrible film. It's made using a camcorder, the actors are all amateurs, and there is almost no budget for special effects whatsoever, but these things somehow give it a nice charm. There's about as much actual horror in the film as there is in Weekend at Bernie's. Overall, it reminded of something John Hughes would have made if he'd only had a budget of 400 dollars, no reputation, and the mind to throw in a darker plot element.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

Twin Peaks - A Limited Event Series (2017) Over 18 hours of a totally different zone to dive into on glorious blu ray vision. Extras here are very good, series of shorts totaling near 5 hours going backstage looking at how various great scenes were all created with real work. The level of detail and time given to all the actors and work that David Lynch goes into is amazing. Must be a joy to work for this living legend. 9/10

Stalker (1979) Classic Russian Sci-fi and a great visual and audio transfer resolution from The Criterion Collection. A area of land where a meteorite, UFO crash or explosion disaster cover up is now 'the zone', a bleak wasteland cordoned off by the government, a place supposedly "where all desires will be granted". Stalkers are guides who smuggle other people into this zone. Made in late 70's Soviet Russia but I found a lot of its central themes could be speaking about out our own culture today. "While I am digging for the truth, so much happens to it that instead of discovering the truth I dig up a heap of, pardon... I'd better not name it" - "We used to think the future was far off, fluctuated in the distance, but now its is all the time here with us in the present and no sign of change" Cannot praise the quality of the print transfer high enough. Buy this version to see this great film. Brilliant 10/10

Get Out (2017) Had no idea what this was, hadn't heard of it, funny and enjoyable enough ridiculous tack. Stylish but good enough craic too. Yer mans loud security friend got really annoying really fast though 6/10

The Disaster Artist (2017) Was very drunk watching this and thought was very entertaining and well crafted. James Franco played the illuminati bankrolled lizard creature man very well. A enjoyable modern cinema outing for a change 7/10

Barry Lyndon (1975) Young blagard enlists in British army and goes off around 18th Century war torn Europe. Amazing brilliant work from Kubrick. Makes me appreciate my back garden countryside view in the depths of depressed winter January. Criterion collection again. Their Blu-Ray releases may be expensive but the quality of the prints and sound transfer is well well worth it. The light in this film is unbelievable. Great drama. Bit slow at the start but gets going greatly. Highly recommended 9/10

Lolita (1962) On a Kubrick binge lately, he really was a forward pushing genius. Great performances from everybody. Twistedly brilliant. 9/10

Star Wars The Last Jedi (2017) The last time I'll be going to see any of these that's for sure. These are just famous fan 'swede' remakes at this stage. Domhnall Gleeson's character a total over the top parody cartoon of every high falutin Imperial officer from the original 3 being a good example. Too many famous faces in it is killing it too, Laura Dern in her twin peaks hairstyle playing one of the high honcho crew from Hunger games and the Heineken man. Ughhh. Doesn't do it for me anymore. The magick is gone. Had a nice relaxy day away from the national mandatory xmas noise when saw it so it gets 4/10 from me.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

The Darkest Hour

Holy fvck this is gonna disavow certain insufferable Brits of a few notions. About themselves and Churchill. It destroys the myth of Churchill without even bringing up the fact that he was an imperialist drone who oversaw and turned a blind eye to a famine in India and his approval and instigation of the Black and Tans massacre in Ireland.

It’s brilliant and Oldman upends every notion you have but I can’t see it bein a welcome depiction of the man on this side of the pond. This one is going to seriously ruffle feathers I reckon.

But you can’t take your eyes off it. It’s really really well made. Oldman is outstanding for many reasons. You can’t even see him in there you’re looking at Churchill. His portrayal is wildly at odds with what we thought we knew about the man and he’s almost a soft bumbling buffoon at work but rude and isolated at home and is certainly seen that way by those around him and the establishment so it leads nicely into the films final act.

Definitely worth seeing. Really enjoyable. Oldman deserves the Oscar for this. Can’t think of any real competition now that I’ve seen it.

david75 wrote: »
    The Darkest Hour

Holy fvck this is gonna disavow certain insufferable Brits of a few notions. About themselves and Churchill. It destroys the myth of Churchill without even bringing up the fact that he was an imperialist drone who oversaw and turned a blind eye to a famine in India and his approval and instigation of the Black and Tans massacre in Ireland.

It’s brilliant and Oldman upends every notion you have but I can’t see it bein a welcome depiction of the man on this side of the pond. This one is going to seriously ruffle feathers I reckon.

But you can’t take your eyes off it. It’s really really well made. Oldman is outstanding for many reasons. You can’t even see him in there you’re looking at Churchill. His portrayal is wildly at odds with what we thought we knew about the man and he’s almost a soft bumbling buffoon at work but rude and isolated at home and is certainly seen that way by those around him and the establishment so it leads nicely into the films final act.

Definitely worth seeing. Really enjoyable. Oldman deserves the Oscar for this. Can’t think of any real competition now that I’ve seen it.

Looking forward to seeing it and you can thank Churchill for the privilege of being able to slag him off on Boards - I doubt that the Nazis would have allowed social media. :D

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing it and you can thank Churchill for the privilege of being able to slag him off on Boards - I doubt that the Nazis would have allowed social media. :D

I don’t think anyone in Ireland will thank Churchill in his role as minister for defence and personally giving us the wonders of the Black and Tans, regardless of what he did after the fact. But BS political legitimate chip on our shoulder aside,
    It’s a brilliant film and Oldman has never been better/will never do better than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Del.Monte wrote: »

Are you sure?

They seem to be all over it lately. :D

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    Are you sure?

They seem to be all over it lately. :D

BOOOOM!!

well played :)

Seriously though, I kind of had this film written off as more Churchill myth making in my head. WWII movies are hardly the realm where critical story telling of the allies is paramount. Especially where St. Winston is concerned.

I, myself, would be very critical of Churchill for many areas of his political life and reject a lot of the "history" of the man, as it's often displayed.

But, I might have to check this out.

Seriously though, I kind of had this film written off as more Churchill myth making in my head. WWII movies are hardly the realm where critical story telling of the allies is paramount. Especially where St. Winston is concerned.

I, myself, would be very critical of Churchill for many areas of his political life and reject a lot of the "history" of the man, as it's often displayed.

But, I might have to check this out.

Deffo see it. It throws nitromorse on the myth of Churchill. This is definitely gonna upset them Brits that idolise him. The fact does remain he came through in the end thanks to a moving speech but this shows he pretty much faked it til he made it.

It’s brilliant though. Couldn’t take my eyes off it and want to se it again.

Been wondering about this.

What is it with the British and their new wave of mythologising themselves and wot they did to save the world? Dunkirk and this film being the latest efforts.
    They’re the cause of most modern world conflict even now.
    They have a severe case of selective memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

yeah I will also check this out after dave's review there. I blindly assumed from trailers it would be a glorified Hovis bread advert. Gary Oldman is no lackey, he knows good work from bad

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Deffo see it. It throws nitromorse on the myth of Churchill. This is definitely gonna upset them Brits that idolise him. The fact does remain he came through in the end thanks to a moving speech but this shows he pretty much faked it til he made it.

It’s brilliant though. Couldn’t take my eyes off it and want to se it again.

Have to say, I didn't see much of that in the trailer TBH.

Have to say, I didn't see much of that in the trailer TBH.

Well we have the benefit or problem of hindsight and know how it all worked out. The trailer naturally is gonna play to that. The film doesn’t.

What is it with the British and their new wave of mythologising themselves and wot they did to save the world? Dunkirk and this film being the latest efforts.

That's just a continuation of post war flag waving that's been going on for 70 years.

WWII is still being fought you know. ;)

The myth of the "good war" and angels vs demons has to be propagated continuously, lest people start asking serious questions and deconstructing the myths.

In saying that, I believe that the British have always been a lot more balanced in their WWII fiction than the Americans have.

But, really, there are about 10 really great WWII films that exist. The vast majority are trash.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

There's nothing new about it. They've always done it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭redandwhite

There's nothing new about it. They've always done it.

All of them?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement