Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,498 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The Good, The Bad, The Weird
    A Bittersweet life
    All about lily chou-chou

today was a good day

Not seen the third film in your list, but the top 2 are superb. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,873 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Grabbers

Effects were suprisingly good, acting was decent and script was funny enough.

Middling enough really but for an Irish production, not bad at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,355 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The Lincoln Lawyer

US Netflix.

Good courtroom thriller starring Matthew McConaughey and Ryan Phillippe.

McConaughhey does a good job making the lawyer who helps bad people spiel a little less black and white.

noodler wrote: »
    The Lincoln Lawyer

US Netflix.

McConaughhey does a good job making the lawyer who helps bad people spiel a little less black and white.

Pity about Ryan Phillipe, added absolutley nothing to it. McConaughey is great in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

siblers wrote: »
    Pity about Ryan Phillipe, added absolutley nothing to it. McConaughey is great in it.

Ryan Phillipe wasnt to bad really he done the whole spoilt brat part well I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Django unchained
    Excellent film, I won't say much because I don't want to spoil it, great acting special effects are very good Tarantino at his best, I recommend it to anyone, 10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Mr Deeds

It's a pleasant film. Deeds himself is such a nice person.

Shame

Finally a vehicle for Michael Fassbender's penis. Now I know where the 'bend' comes from in his name because it's bent at the top.

It's really good. There's something about films like this that just get be. When it's just a snapshot of a moment in peoples lives.

I think you were watching the film a little too closely!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The Lincoln Lawyer

US Netflix.

siblers wrote: »

The book is much better. The movie is trying to stuff too much in and I didn't think it was that successfull. It's a bit muddled and although I like McConaughhey, he came off as wayyyy too smarmy.

You should read the book. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Django unchained
    Excellent film, I won't say much because I don't want to spoil it, great acting special effects are very good Tarantino at his best, I recommend it to anyone, 10/10

IMO the best thing he's done since Pulp Fiction. Rodrigues must have handled the spectacular sfx and sound.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Django unchained

Watched it last night, fantastic film!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

The Man With Iron Fists
    To get in the mood for Django I gave this a try, was clichéd (not in a good way) a nd tired! the cast were truly awful esp. Crowe who was hammy and annoying. Hopefully DU lives up to the hype.

John Dies at the End
    Not sure if watching at three in the morning makes a difference, plot was unintelligible but somehow the main characters and the confusion were likable, probably could have done with a bigger budget and a lot more stock for the editor to play with. 1 part House, 1 part Lost in Time and 1 part Tucker and Dale.....still overall enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Watched Source Code. Pleasantly suprised (didn't realise it was same director as Moon til after). Seven out of ten movie for me, meaning solid and very enjoyable but I wouldn't actively seek out a second watch. Clever plot at face value but some holes in the end theory. Some standout scenes.

Also watched Warrior. Definitely a dude's movie: savage mma battles, brotherly resentment, and father-son relationships, or lack of. Who could remain stony faced during Nick Nolte's heartwrenching scenes! Despite some good moments, I thought a lot of the dialogue was dire, movie was predictable and really only gets interesting when Sparta kicks off. Most of it served only to provide back stories for the two brothers. Fight scenes were class.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

My Brothers

Basically three brothers in Cork in the 80's head off in a clapped out bread van to go to an arcade in a seaside town to replace the watch their dying dad got there on a family trip years earlier.

Been meaning to watch this one for ages now. I really loved it. It starts off quite slow and I guess it never really picks up pace but it still keeps your attention. It's really about the relationship between the brothers and how they're all dealing with their dad's illness differently but aren't dealing with it together.

The fact that it's set in the late 80's makes it very nostalgic if you were a kid around then. And a lot of the film feels like a nice nostalgic trip down memory lane but every now and then you're reminded of what's happening to the boys and I have to admit the last few minutes of this made me cry. It was really one particular scene
    where they're heading home and listening to the tape of the home made radio shows and their dad comes on
    that set me off.

One slight problem I had, if I'd even call it that, is that the oldest brother is supposed to be 17/18 but looks far older, but once they're away in the van it doesn't matter. The two younger brothers are good too. The middle lad is a pain in the bum at times but I think he's supposed to be the annoying middle child, but in the emotional scenes he's really good.

Sometimes films like this can be a bit emotionally manipulative and you know the scenes where they're deliberately trying to make you cry, but I never once felt that in this one. it just felt like the story of 3 brothers and there happened to be a bit that made me cry like a big baby :)

Oh, and I don't know if anyone has seen the DVD cover, but they've photo-shopped Paudi into an Ireland jersey on the front of it, one from about 2005, despite the film being set in 1986! They've also put a small Ireland flag in Sqwally's hand even though it's a light saber he has the whole film. I guess they were trying to drill home the message that it's an Irish film?

Hard Eight: Great script, great performances and superbly shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Life Of Pi

Spectacular really. The film by which all other films I watch this year will be judged. On the way up home I literally started congratulating every Asian man I saw just in case it was Ang Lee. As you can see the film made me believe in God but hasn't stopped me being racist.

It's a triumph of the visual medium and great story telling. I just finished the book today so I was grateful I got to pop along while it was still in. I don't know where I stand on the book, I liked it but I have some questions. I was both glad and disappointed that the more gory bits of the book were left out of the film. I actually said to myself as the second story approached, "block your eyes and don't watch," but instead Pi just told that story rather than showing it. That's the part that disappointed me, because the rest of the story is so visual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"Dementia 13" (1963) - on DVD. Another long one fingered due to being in the house on my own recently but given that I've watched "Alien" on my own ....Anyway, this is something of a cult horror film produced by Roger Corman, written and directed by none other than Francis Ford Coppola - his first big break. Shot on location in Ireland, in just nine days, on a shoestring budget it has stood the test of time well. Synopsis - crazed axe murderer stalks the corridors and grounds of Howth Castle....Enjoyable (but not very scary) and worth seeing as a very early example of the director's work. 7/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Little White Lies. Terrific little French movie about a group of friends who continue on a prearranged holiday even after one of them is seriously injured in a motor accident. While away things start to unravel and secrets are revealed. Starring the finest actress of her generation Marion Cottilard.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,355 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The Tall Man

Stars Jessica Biel.

My mind was pretty blown with this movie, judging from the reviews, this is a total marmite movie. One thing it will undoubtedly do though is subvert your expectations regarding the type of movie you thought you were sitting down to see.

Twists that will either amaze you or disgust you.

Biel is very good in it as well by the way.

US Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

3/5 IMO.
    I Loved The lord of the Ring Trilogy,Big Time.
    This is more of the same,but not as exciting IMO. No surprises,but worth a watch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I just watched the X-files film. If you like the series, you'll love the film. It was full of conspiracies, alien stuff, viruses and vaccines, spooky labs in the middle of the desert, trains bringing mysterious tanks at night, it was just like one long episode of all that kind of stuff put together. Not for everybody, but as a partial X-files fan, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

newmug wrote: »
    I just watched the X-files film. If you like the series, you'll love the film. It was full of conspiracies, alien stuff, viruses and vaccines, spooky labs in the middle of the desert, trains bringing mysterious tanks at night, it was just like one long episode of all that kind of stuff put together. Not for everybody, but as a partial X-files fan, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Its pretty good alright though I thought the ending in the Arctic was a bit OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Braveheart - Ticked another one off my list of movies I really should have seen by now. Lived up to the hype imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭rednik

The Sweeney - Rubbish, terrible casting. John Thaw would not be impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Tell No One another movie from Writer of little white lies and husband of Marion Cotillard. Have to say this is a brilliant movie and highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Django Unchained, brilliant film, yet another gem from Tarantino, id highly recommend this, the 2hr 45min run-time might put some off, but believe me it will hold your interest the whole time, 5/5

Zero Dark Thirty, didnt really like it TBH, it was to long, and edited badly, i dunno what the point was of the flashcards like TRADCRAFT and whatnot popping up during what i think were time jumps, if they had some kind of explanation to go with them id understand, i didnt really get into the Maya character at all, 2/5

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Tell No One another movie from Writer of little white lies and husband of Marion Cotillard. Have to say this is a brilliant movie and highly recommended.

Guillaume Canet? I knew he was directing things lately but thought he'd only just started doing it. Didn't realise he had such a back catalog. I read he's working on a new one with Cotillard and the main guy from Rust & Bone.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Over the weekend I watched
    Lean on Me - I like these clean up the school movies. Also has Morgan Freeman so not a bad thing. Funny seeing a young Christopher Moltisanti in it as well.

Les Miserables - The 1998 movie based on the novel that starred Liam Neeson, Uma Thurman, Claire Danes and Geoffrey Rush. Decent movie. Expected it to drag on occasion but if it did, I didn't notice.

And saw Jack Reacher tonight - Liked this film. Didn't really notice the 2+ hours go by

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

The Tall Man

Stars Jessica Biel.

My mind was pretty blown with this movie, judging from the reviews, this is a total marmite movie. One thing it will undoubtedly do though is subvert your expectations regarding the type of movie you thought you were sitting down to see.

Twists that will either amaze you or disgust you.

Biel is very good in it as well by the way.

US Netflix.

I liked the film a lot when I saw it. I saw it as a fun ride that asked some interesting questions. It was by no means a perfect film but I was surprised by some of the vitriol toward it. I'd seen
    Gone Baby Gone
    before The Tall Man and, to be honest, comparisons of the two didn't occur to me until I'd heard rip off accusations later on. There's room for both films and tTM had the urban legend and ignored communities angle. It's a flawed film but it stands on it's own IMO and like another flawed-but-good chiller, 'Absentia', probably would have benefited from a further draft to cut some dead wood and make it quite a solid little film indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,435 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Django Unchained: really enjoyed this. great acting, decent story and plenty of violence. good soundtrack too. might be a tad long at 2H 45M. The two leads very good, and so is Di Caprio.

Flight: Denzel Washington as a hero pilot, but they find out more details after an incident. good film. i enjoy nearly all of washingtons films, and this proved no different. good mixture of action , drama and dark comedy

Lawless: Tom Hardy playing one of 3 bootlegging brothers in probation era Virginia. Decent enough film. Plenty of violence, ok story, Hardy plays the tough type character he has been stuck with for most latest films. Did not really like Guy Pearce as the opposing policeman. If you like action and don't mind a bit of violence well worth a watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Taken 2: Was expecting a complete disaster but I've seen worse Neeson films in the past few years. The one with the wolves and the bourne oap rip off were even worse.

Cloud Atlas: Schmalzy pulp, but I liked it. Can see why some hate it but imo they need a heart transplant.

The Loved Ones: Really graphic Australian horror. Some of the torture scenes are just vile. Worth a look though if you're into slashers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement