Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

Just watching Intermission here. Has always been fairly overrated by Irish people IMO. Entertaining at time but fairly average.

Can someone tell me, the end bit where the Volvo goes into the canal - where was that filmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

End of Watch. Quite good. Great acting, edgy tension throughout and some good action scenes. Camera work was a bit off at times, but overall I appreciated its effect - it provided a pure ground level view of the Police force. Recommended.

The Sweeney. This was not great. Looks good and some scenes are decent but that's all it has going for it. Thin boring plot, poor acting (struggled to understand Ray Winstone), dialogue was bad, lack of character depth, some awful shootouts (bank scene saw some pathetic accuracy levels, even for Hollywood). Disappointing.

Miracle . The story of the USA hockey team at the 1980 Winter Olympics. Absolutely brilliant. I loved it. Great scenes, tense drama, excellent turn from Kurt Russell. Only problem is the lack of development for characters. But on the whole, Disney aced this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oslo, August 31st - lyrical, wonderfully directed addiction drama about a recovering addict who travels to Oslo for a job interview. Those left uneasy by Flight's troublesome sentimentality would do well to seek this one out - it's a much more subtle, uncompromising and poignant film. While such stories are a dime a dozen, this one is told with grace, compassion and subtlety which gives it an edge over its peers. But what makes it truly special is that it's a great city film too, including an era-jumping prologue that recalls Woody Allen's Manhattan more than anything. Oslo may not be the most photogenic city on the planet, but it serves this devastating story well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Rock Of Ages - just watching this now and I have to say its a hell of a lot better than I thought it would be after seeing the trailer etc, non overplayed hits, great original looking style of it, and some great nostalgic like parts and style aka Almost Famous, really was surprised by it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I don't know, I was a little surprised by some the vitriol & how much it divided opinions on here tbh. Got very good reviews in general elesewhere from what I saw.

Didn't think it was a classic myself or anything but found it an entertaining enough film. Poor cinematography was the main gripe I had with it.

It got amazing reviews overseas. In this country , the reviews were mixed i suppose a bit to close to home for some or the old begrudge successfully Irish films but in all honesty i taught it was a very good Film with a great central performance from Glesson and Don Cheadle .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

crazygeryy wrote: »
    i totally disagree.i thought it was a well told well acted movie. Naomi watts deserves the Oscar nomination she got ,maybe she doesn'tdeserve to win but certainly to be nominated.
    and even the cgi was very well done.

BUT your entitled to your opinion.:)
    Effects and performances were well done I'll grant you that. The mawkish sentimentality ruined it for me though and it trivialized so much of the horror of what went on. A more honest, minimalist approach would have served it so much better imo.

Looper007 wrote: »

It got amazing reviews overseas. In this country , the reviews were mixed i suppose a bit to close to home for some or the old begrudge successfully Irish films but in all honesty i taught it was a very good Film with a great central performance from Glesson and Don Cheadle .

There is nothing worse than people who see any criticism of Irish produced art by an Irish person as nothing more than begrudgery. The Guard is not a good film. The script is terrible and feels like something written in the early 90s and intended as a direct to VHS quickie to cash in on the popularity of films such as Reservoir Dogs. It actually looks like something from the 90s and is one the most visually flat and boring films released in recent years. I've seen shot on VHS home movies with better cinematography and as for the cast, well they try their best but the dialogue is do poor and forced that you spent most of your time wondering who in their right mind read the script and thought that it deserved to have 6 million thrown at it.

24 hour party people- Remember going to see this in UCI coolock on its release and been told by a guy working there not to go and see it as they had so many walk outs :eek:. Ended up been one of my favourite films of the past twenty years certainly Michael winterbottoms best film with top class soundtrack (Joy division/New order and Happy Mondays, you can't go wrong with that) and Andy serkis stealing the film as Martin Hannet. Steve coogan given his best film performance and Sean Harris brillant turn as Ian curtis (far better then Sam reilly's in control) also John simm,Shirley Henderson and Paddy Considine starring you can't go wrong. Try and look for the special edition two disc set with documentries, commentries and a ton of deleted scenes which are some of the best dvd extras ever.

Wonderland- This gives 24 Hour Party people a run for Winterbottom's best film, wonderfully scored by Michael Nyman(the score is more famous then the film) a Star making performance from Gina Mckee ( the scene between her and Stuart Townsend were he tries to get rid of her out of his flat is the most heartbreaking and awkward scene in cinema history) also Ian Hart and John Simm deserve praise for making their characters likeable when on paper they are clearly selfish men. Molly Parker and Shirley Henderson are good as Mckee sister and the reltionship between their parents is gut wretching too. London has never looked as better as it has in this film.

There is nothing worse than people who see any criticism of Irish produced art by an Irish person as nothing more than begrudgery. The Guard is not a good film. The script is terrible and feels like something written in the early 90s and intended as a direct to VHS quickie to cash in on the popularity of films such as Reservoir Dogs. It actually looks like something from the 90s and is one the most visually flat and boring films released in recent years. I've seen shot on VHS home movies with better cinematography and as for the cast, well they try their best but the dialogue is do poor and forced that you spent most of your time wondering who in their right mind read the script and thought that it deserved to have 6 million thrown at it.

Visually it isn't strong i agree but its strength is in its writing, look at Clerks a horribly shot film but the dialogue is its saviour. But i disagree with you saying its not a great film, the performances are top notch from everyone invovled and the script is great in places. Is it a masterpiece? no but its one of the better Irish efforts in many years. I do think a lot of begrudgery does go on in this country towards people who done good, i think the hate towards the Guard most of its legit dislike for the film but a lot is just jealousy that a Irish film is doing well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

e_e wrote: »
    Effects and performances were well done I'll grant you that. The mawkish sentimentality ruined it for me though and it trivialized so much of the horror of what went on. A more honest, minimalist approach would have served it so much better imo.

There was an article in The Guardian a while ago written by a reader who had commented on their original review of the film in response to all the other comments that were similar to yours. The guy who wrote it was in Thailand when the tsunami hit. He was 16 at the time and on holiday with a friend's family. He said the film was a very accurate representation of how it was to be there, and that there were lots of little things in it that maybe an ordinary viewer wouldn't have thought twice about but really stood out to him having experienced it himself.

I just thought it was interesting how many people seem to have issues with this film, and this is the one opinion I've seen from someone who actually experienced it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Lon.C

budgemook wrote: »
    Just watching Intermission here. Has always been fairly overrated by Irish people IMO. Entertaining at time but fairly average.

Can someone tell me, the end bit where the Volvo goes into the canal - where was that filmed?

It's at shandon mills. Just up from cossguns bridge, phibsborough.

Looper007 wrote: »

Visually it isn't strong i agree but its strength is in its writing, look at Clerks a horribly shot film but the dialogue is its saviour. But i disagree with you saying its not a great film, the performances are top notch from everyone invovled and the script is great in places. Is it a masterpiece? no but its one of the better Irish efforts in many years. I do think a lot of begrudgery does go on in this country towards people who done good, i think the hate towards the Guard most of its legit dislike for the film but a lot is just jealousy that a Irish film is doing well.

None of the criticism of The Guard is because its an Irish film. That is such utter crap and the kind of ridiculous defence that people trot out when they can't argue in defence of something. The Guard is a poor film, it fails on every single area. The script is atrocious, the dialogue is some of the poorest ever put on screen and stinks if a writer trying to be hip and cool but failing miserably. The scene where the baddies discuss philosophy is one of the most excruciatingly poor scenes in the history of cinema, it really is 5 minutes of pretentious, self indulgent crap.

There's this much banded about myth that Irish people begrudge other Irish peoe their success. You say you think the latest U2 album is crap and a dozen people will say "oh another begrudger". I believe the opposite is true and a lot of Irish people will like something simple because its Irish, how else can you explain the people who believe that The Guard is one of the best films ever made here?

I also don't believe that the Guard is a Irish film.uch if the budget can from abroad, the writer/director is English and most of the cast are from abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Zero Dark Thirty:

Very much enjoyed this - good, solid cast (Enjoyed Mark Strong in it, really like him as an actor) and the story was well worked all the way through I thought.

8/10

There was an article in The Guardian a while ago written by a reader who had commented on their original review of the film in response to all the other comments that were similar to yours. The guy who wrote it was in Thailand when the tsunami hit. He was 16 at the time and on holiday with a friend's family. He said the film was a very accurate representation of how it was to be there, and that there were lots of little things in it that maybe an ordinary viewer wouldn't have thought twice about but really stood out to him having experienced it himself.

I just thought it was interesting how many people seem to have issues with this film, and this is the one opinion I've seen from someone who actually experienced it.
    I can only go on my reaction to it. If it gave me any empathy about what went on I'd say fair play but all I got was self-important emotional manipulation. I doubt there was any cloying music playing or convenient plot points during the actual events (such an unnecessary score btw).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭rednik

Glory. Bought this on blu ray when it came out and I only watched it this morning.:o I did see it on release in the cinema. What a remarkable film with outstanding performances from so many. Broderick, Elwes, Washington, Freeman and Braugher.

e_e wrote: »
    I can only go on my reaction to it. If it gave me any empathy about what went on I'd say fair play but all I got was self-important emotional manipulation. I doubt there was any cloying music playing or convenient plot points during the actual events (such an unnecessary score btw).

Obviously not, and I'm not suggesting that you're wrong for how you experienced it, I just found it interesting that the one review I saw from someone who actually experienced it seemed to think it was a very accurate portrayal.

Of course it's an "Oscar Bait" type of film. I believe the family it's actually based on were Spanish, and they rewrote it to have it as an English speaking family, and to be able to cast well known faces in the roles, to appeal to a wider audience. If they'd made it in Spanish, or as a less "spectacular" film it probably wouldn't have gotten released in a tenth of the cinemas it was in, or gotten any award attention.

I agree and I find it unfortunate that that's the case. I had similar issues with Slumdog Millionaire too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Whatever about the quality of Slumdog Millionaire, at least it did feature a predominately Indian ensemble, and it's always welcome to see different cultures explored in mainstream cinema. The Impossible just shows that such cases are a rarity, and that Hollywood leads are demanded for films of a certain scale. Amazing that a film with a budget like the Impossible - predominantly funded by Spanish sources, with a Spanish creative team, based on a Spanish story - can't get made with a Spanish speaking cast. Unless of course the director felt that he could tell his story better with Watts and McGregor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Money is money whether it comes from Spain or America. Financiers will back whatever they think has the best chance of making them a profit. In the case of The Impossible, it's easy to see why they choose to make the characters British. Spanish audiences don't have the same issue with subtitles that English speaking audiences have. A Spanish-launguage version of The Impossible wouldn't have been nearly as successful over here.

Even American films like Looper are starting to make efforts to appeal to the Chinese market in exchange for financing - something which I think we're going to see a lot more of in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

DeathWatch - British horror movie starring Jamie Bell set in the trenches of WW1

Remember vaguely watching this on Sky Movies years ago. It's not that good. Turns out the director and writer of this was the same director/writer of Silent Hill Revelation ... So if anyone wasnt a fan of the new Silent Hill movie. Yeah, stay away :pac:

• Advertisement

The Impossible just shows that such cases are a rarity, and that Hollywood leads are demanded for films of a certain scale. Amazing that a film with a budget like the Impossible - predominantly funded by Spanish sources, with a Spanish creative team, based on a Spanish story - can't get made with a Spanish speaking cast. Unless of course the director felt that he could tell his story better with Watts and McGregor.
    Money is money whether it comes from Spain or America. Financiers will back whatever they think has the best chance of making them a profit. In the case of The Impossible, it's easy to see why they choose to make the characters British. Spanish audiences don't have the same issue with subtitles that English speaking audiences have. A Spanish-launguage version of The Impossible wouldn't have been nearly as successful over here.

It's funny though, I'm not that familiar with Naomi Watts, I've heard of her, but I wouldn't have thought of her as a marquee name. Whereas the likes of Penelope Cruz, just as an example, is a Spanish speaking actress who pretty much everyone has heard of. I'm sure it would have been possible to make it in Spanish with equally as big names in it, but as already pointed out, non English speaking countries have less of an issue with subtitled films than the English speaking ones do.

I think that's comparatively one of the lesser issues of the film tbh. But it is emblematic of the cynicism on behalf of the makers of it.

The film's mechanics are so blatantly obvious and shameless that it alienated me from the truth of the story anyway. Just struck me as one of those typical films around awards season that make the characters (and audience) suffer for 90% of the run time just for some relief and falsely uplifting message at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Lawless: I don't know was left feeling kind of cold by this its a film I expected a lot from going on the trailer I almost expected a bit of an epic but what I got was a fairly predictable and simple story. Shia LaBeouf I just found annoying and Guy Pearce although a good performance I just found the character almost to cartoonish for the film. I did enjoy it but not what I expected it good clean fun but nothing more nothing less.

Confessions: A brilliant film certainly not in anyway light hearted or one for watching on a Sunday with a hangover. A dark twisted film with plenty of twists and turns that will keep you glued to the screen. Credit also to the cast all brilliant performances especially that of the young teenagers in such challenging roles.

City of Life and Death: A film sshot in black and white whilst I get its trying to make you feel like its more authentic and shot in 1937 I found it distracting in this case. But still and amazing film telling the story of Japans invasion of China's capital city Nanjing from the initial invasion to the aftermath examining the brutality of war, while also placing you into the personal story of people on both sides. There are some scenes people will find disturbing but there only there to show the gravity of the situation these people find themselves in. A film Im sure which wasn't to well recieved in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

None of the criticism of The Guard is because its an Irish film. That is such utter crap and the kind of ridiculous defence that people trot out when they can't argue in defence of something. The Guard is a poor film, it fails on every single area. The script is atrocious, the dialogue is some of the poorest ever put on screen and stinks if a writer trying to be hip and cool but failing miserably. The scene where the baddies discuss philosophy is one of the most excruciatingly poor scenes in the history of cinema, it really is 5 minutes of pretentious, self indulgent crap.

There's this much banded about myth that Irish people begrudge other Irish peoe their success. You say you think the latest U2 album is crap and a dozen people will say "oh another begrudger". I believe the opposite is true and a lot of Irish people will like something simple because its Irish, how else can you explain the people who believe that The Guard is one of the best films ever made here?

I also don't believe that the Guard is a Irish film.uch if the budget can from abroad, the writer/director is English and most of the cast are from abroad.

I enjoyed Grabbers much more of recent Irish movies, and yet hardly anyone went to see it, its not perfect not by a longshot, but its funny, has some great oneliners and suprisingly decent effects, loads of great nods to other B movies as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Just Saw Argo, and it was class. between that and Wallflower that i saw yesterday, 2 best ive seen in awhile..

Hoop Dreams - epic, poignant, insightful, uplifting, heartbreaking, maddening and still as pertinent and vital as it was when it was created. A three hour long documentary about two kids and their high school adventures in basketball. But it's so much more than that - a subtle, intelligent critique of the forces at play in American society and education. The running time flies by, and you kinda don't want the story to end. A cheesy porn-esque soundtrack is the only minor weaklink. Basically The Wire of sporting documentaries - maybe even documentaries full stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Hoop Dreams - epic, poignant, insightful, uplifting, heartbreaking, maddening and still as pertinent and vital as it was when it was created. A three hour long documentary about two kids and their high school adventures in basketball. But it's so much more than that - a subtle, intelligent critique of the forces at play in American society and education. The running time flies by, and you kinda don't want the story to end. A cheesy porn-esque soundtrack is the only minor weaklink. Basically The Wire of sporting documentaries - maybe even documentaries full stop.

Great movie, highly recommended

Watched this many moons ago when I was a teenager and it left a lasting impact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Once again scraping the bottom of the barrel at Netflix "The Enemy Below" (1957) a WWII movie about the hunting down of a U boat by an American Destroyer. Robert Mitchum and Kurt Jurgens star and while the tale is plausible enough, the 'special' effects are abysmal and it's no "Das Boot". 4/10 Don't waste an hour and a half of your life on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Saw "Hitchcock" on Monday night. was bollocks.

Saw "Brick" on Monday afternoon. was brilliant.

• Advertisement

Once again scraping the bottom of the barrel at Netflix "The Enemy Below" (1957) a WWII movie about the hunting down of a U boat by an American Destroyer. Robert Mitchum and Kurt Jurgens star and while the tale is plausible enough, the 'special' effects are abysmal and it's no "Das Boot". 4/10 Don't waste an hour and a half of your life on it.

You keep making snide remarks about the Netflix content but even the Irish one has a hell of a lot of content. You are aware that there is far more stuff that that simply listed on the main page?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement