Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Gangster Squad Seen some really bad reviews of this but it wasn't that bad at all. Right it is full of clichés, but it gives a bit of an old feel to it (if ya don't take it too seriously).

Strange seeing Sean Penn in such a hammy roll tho..:o

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

Bassboxxx wrote: »
    Gangster Squad Seen some really bad reviews of this but it wasn't that bad at all. Right it is full of clichés, but it gives a bit of an old feel to it (if ya don't take it too seriously).

Strange seeing Sean Penn in such a hammy roll tho..:o

I would absolutely love a hammy roll right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"The Dogs of War" (1980) on Netflix. A team of mercenaries is hired to take out the despotic leader of a fictional African state. Based on the book by Frederick Forsyth (The Day of the Jackal, The Odessa File) and starring Christopher Walken, Tom Berenger etc. The action keeps up from start to finish and, for the most part, is fairly realistic. Good casting, and a strong storyline carry the movie effortlessly to a satisfying conclusion. 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I watched Knight and Day on TV the other night. All I knew about it was that it was the "spy comedy" that got Tom Cruise & Cameron Diaz driving the Reasonably-Priced Car around the Top Gear track a few years ago. Since it was a "comedy" I wasn't expecting much realism, and so I wasn't disappointed. (Some spoilers ahead - like it matters.)

For example, there's an early scene in which Tom crash-lands an airliner on a country road, and has to swerve it to avoid rear-ending a large truck. If I have my facts right, planes have these long things sticking out either side - I think they're called "wings" - that would make such a manoeuvre slightly ... impossible. I was expecting more of the same from the scene in which Cameron wakes up, after being drugged, in a bikini. Cue a lingering shot of Cameron in the bikini, of course. But she does ask "how did I get in to this bikini?", and Tom's answer is, well, fairly creepy. (Something like "I can defuse a bomb in the dark, so I can change you in to a bikini without peeking".)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Watched "Le Mans" last night for the first time since I was a child. I was way more impressed with it than I thought I would be. It hasn't aged anywhere near as badly as I expected and the sound alone via Blu Ray on a decent system makes this a must watch.

It almost feels like a documentary at times, such is the paucity of dialogue; but don't let that put you off, the car and racing scenes are incredibly authentic - because they are real I suppose, filmed as it was long before the invention of CGI. The safety stamdards at times is bizarre - man in the middle of a track waving a yellow flag for example feels very dangerous; and a lot of the drivers are weraing old style helmets which looks very strange.

Steve McQueen is pretty restrained in this, but if you have any interest in how motor racing used to be, Steve McQueen films, or just want to test out your audio system - give it a shot.

A decent 7/10.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Argo - Excellent, had no idea what it was about, I just stuck it in the DVD and pressed play.

The Bourne Legacy - decent, allthough Mat Damon's shadow is long, and throughout the film we are reminded of this

The Master - a great big pile of steaming monkey ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

the_monkey wrote: »

The Master - a great big pile of steaming monkey ****e.

The irony of that username/comment combination is huge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭8mv

Skyfall on DVD
    Bloody Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Cube (1997)

A group of people, strangers to each other, find themselves in a maze of cube shaped rooms and no recollection of how they got there. Together, they attempt to escape.

Excellent film. Just a pure psychological thriller which is what I love. Simple plot that it dives right into and it's all about the characters and the atmosphere from that point on.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

A South Korean film, Pieta. At the Dublin Film Festival. A debt collector's fondness for brutality comes back to haunt him. Think the Vengeance trilogy, but not quite so good (that trilogy is brilliant). Still, pretty decent.

• Advertisement

"The Johnstown Monster" (1971). Hour long movie produced for The Children's Film Foundation. Shot on location on, in and around Lough Derg. Fishy goings-on in the lough when Ireland's answer to Nessie puts in an appearance. Excellent movie with a cast consisting mainly of children who really steal the show. The movie never even made it to VHS and my copy came from a Canadian enthusiast who had it professionally copied to DVD from a 16mm print. There's a short clip on YouTube (below) but that's all you find anywhere. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Sleep Tight

I don't really want to say too much about it. It's a Spanish film, from the director of Rec. The concierge of a building lets himself in to the apartment of a woman named Clara, every night.

There's a good review of it on the total film website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

I watched The tall man last night,with Jessica Biel. I know it's been mentioned here before, but I really enjoyed it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Sleep Tight

I don't really want to say too much about it. It's a Spanish film, from the director of Rec. The concierge of a building lets himself in to the apartment of a woman named Clara, every night.

There's a good review of it on the total film website.

That is an excellent film. Tense and tight. Films like Sleep Tight, The Uninvited Guest, Time Crimes and The Skin I Live In and Cell 211 are all just brilliant thrillers. Well put together and fairly original, the Spanish really know how to make 'em.

briany wrote: »
    That is an excellent film. Tense and tight. Films like Sleep Tight, The Uninvited Guest, Time Crimes and The Skin I Live In and Cell 211 are all just brilliant thrillers. Well put together and fairly original, the Spanish really know how to make 'em.

Ya I really didn't do it justice, and I didn't want to say to much, but it's the next day now and I'm grasping it a bit more, it's such a fantastic film. It makes me feel like such a creep for liking it. I was right there with him.

The French are making some pretty decent movies too, I was thinking the best in Europe, but looking at that list the defo have competition.

A Good Day To Die Hard

It's a little boring but I didn't think it was a bad as some people are saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Batman: Under The Red Hood (2010)

A superb animated Batman adventure. The storyline is excellent and the animation is incredibly lush. An interesting look into the psyche of Batman, and a nice cameo from Dick Grayson/Nightwing (Neil Patrick Harris) while we're at it.

Can't tell too much else as it will give away some plot points, but an excellent film and well worth a watch. Don't be put off that it's animated; it's gory and gruesome enough in spots!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

As I saw Spider-man 3 not that long ago, that was still fresh in my mind, I still found this movie to early for a -Re-boot of the series.

I didn't really like how this movie flowed, I think they could have done better Job of him discovering is powers, Instead of over the top Train scenes.

I don't know if was meant to funny or not but I found that way to Silly and I didn't the fact that most of time,

I didn't like the fact in had the mask off most of time and I didn't like how he got used to his powers so fast, I felt that the movie moved to fast, I didn't really care of Parker in this movie

In the other series, I felt that Connect to Parker and felt that was lot more Developed and i found more Like-able then this one.

The action scenes were good and fun watching but I found this movie focused way too much on Action instead of everything else.

I didn't like the ending at all, it found really bland.

I got some good thinks to say about this is that the acting this movie was really good from the whole cast and effect were really good in this movie as well.

6/10

The Avengers (2012)

This movie was lot of fun to watch, I never seen the Captain America or Thor movies before. So there so-what knew to me.

I liked the fact we had some time with each different superheros before come together. I really liked how the movie flowed , it not no-stop action all way thought.

There were calmer scenes in this movie that i found interesting and they didn't drag on to long to make boring but action sequencing was outstanding.

First time I have actually liked new Hulk (I was HUGE Huge fan of Old Hulk, i Have never given this Hulk a chance) Not fan Thor thought, I can't seem to be warn, I may need to see his movie next. see more his back story, same for Captain America.

Those actions were edge of your seat stuff and lots of stuff going on at the same time.

I hoping for better ending then this movie got, they all go on there separate way (For the own sequels lol) I looking forward to sequel, I wonder if they add other Superheros in the mix

8/10

Rec 3

The Spanish remake of the 'It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia episode The Maureen Poderosa Massacre'. I thought it was fantastic. I loved the first part is well, didn't enjoy the second one as much but I liked this one quite a bit. I really like that they aren't zombies but possessed. I thought that was a neat twist in the original. It also added an extra layer of scare for me, because I find that kind of thing creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Tindie wrote: »
    The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

As I saw Spider-man 3 not that long ago, that was still fresh in my mind, I still found this movie to early for a -Re-boot of the series.

I didn't really like how this movie flowed, I think they could have done better Job of him discovering is powers, Instead of over the top Train scenes.

I don't know if was meant to funny or not but I found that way to Silly and I didn't the fact that most of time,

I didn't like the fact in had the mask off most of time and I didn't like how he got used to his powers so fast, I felt that the movie moved to fast, I didn't really care of Parker in this movie

In the other series, I felt that Connect to Parker and felt that was lot more Developed and i found more Like-able then this one.

The action scenes were good and fun watching but I found this movie focused way too much on Action instead of everything else.

I didn't like the ending at all, it found really bland.

I got some good thinks to say about this is that the acting this movie was really good from the whole cast and effect were really good in this movie as well.

6/10

The Avengers (2012)

This movie was lot of fun to watch, I never seen the Captain America or Thor movies before. So there so-what knew to me.

I liked the fact we had some time with each different superheros before come together. I really liked how the movie flowed , it not no-stop action all way thought.

There were calmer scenes in this movie that i found interesting and they didn't drag on to long to make boring but action sequencing was outstanding.

First time I have actually liked new Hulk (I was HUGE Huge fan of Old Hulk, i Have never given this Hulk a chance) Not fan Thor thought, I can't seem to be warn, I may need to see his movie next. see more his back story, same for Captain America.

Those actions were edge of your seat stuff and lots of stuff going on at the same time.

I hoping for better ending then this movie got, they all go on there separate way (For the own sequels lol) I looking forward to sequel, I wonder if they add other Superheros in the mix

8/10

I actually MUCH prefer the (albeit all too soon) Spiderman re-boot to the Sam Raimi films. I'll admit to not liking Raimi's films in general (with the exception of 'A Simple Plan'). But, this Spiderman picture was a more mature take on the story and for me, it's far superior. I also found Andrew Garfield's Peter Parker a more satisfying person. I, frankly, hated Tobey Maguire in the part. In fact, I can't say that I've liked Maguire in anything. Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy is also a much better character than the insipid, starry-eyed airhead that Kirsten Dunst plays. In fact, I am looking forward to 'The Amazing Spider-Man II' which is scheduled for 2014. The only thing I preferred about the Raimi films was Doc Oc, who's a better villain than Killer Croc.

As for 'The Avengers', again, I have a different opinion. I thought it was quite mediocre and again, I'll admit to not liking Joss Whedon at all. The major problem with 'The Avengers' is that the superheroes are all kind of crap or just boring, with the exception of Ironman. Thor is ridiculous (bordering in Village People ridiculous), Captain America is a dead-in-the-water throwback to a farcical propaganda vehicle and the Hulk is one of the most idiotic superheroes ever created. On the other hand we have the members of SHIELD, who are just tedious. The only entertainment I got from 'The Avengers' was from a good performance from Mark Ruffalo as David Banner and the inclusion of Robert Downey Jr's excellent take on Tony Stark/Ironman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

man on a Ledge (2012)

I was looking forward to see this movie since i saw the trailers and now that I have seen.

I thought it even better then it thought t be.

This movie had me on edge of seat thought the movie, I had no idea what going to happen next.

There was some very good tense scenes in this movie that really got me of seat and shouting at the TV.

There were some really good twist and turns in this movie that I didn't see coming at all.

I Thought the acting was really good from the whole cast and Extras too.

I expected a good movie but ended up seeing a great movie

8/10

Spider-Man (2002) - I gave this another re-watch after seeing new re-boot.

Well this movie didn't have much action the latest one and a lot more of story just scenes of fighting and flying.

There were A lot of slow scenes in this movie, with some really good action sequences

I do like some of story that taken away from this movie that wasn't in the re-boot.

I didn't find this movie as dark as new one, Which I still do prefer Maguire as man.

I felt like we connected a lot more in this story and cared about him (I can't say the same thing new spider-man)

The Actions scenes in this movie was really good and very decent not over the top and don't drag for too long.

The acting was really good from the whole cast.

7 out 10 really good movie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Perrier's Bounty

It's not finished yet but it's pretty awful. The dialogue is terrible, it sounds like it was written by a 14 year old trying to sound like a gangster, throwing "man" onto the end of every sentence. Don't get me started on Jim Broadbent's Irish accent.

I hope they all die.

Look at that....
    they nearly all did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Rec 3

The Spanish remake of the 'It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia episode The Maureen Poderosa Massacre'. I thought it was fantastic. I loved the first part is well, didn't enjoy the second one as much but I liked this one quite a bit. I really like that they aren't zombies but possessed. I thought that was a neat twist in the original. It also added an extra layer of scare for me, because I find that kind of thing creepy.

Thought Rec 1 was great, Rec 2, similar but expansive enough to be still good, but thought Rec 3 was generic crap....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Kontroll http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0373981/

Liked it a lot - it's a (dark) comedy-drama about a group of ticket inspectors. It's gripping/heart-warming/terrifying/poignant/amusing in equal amounts. Glad I watched it, terrific film.

Perrier's Bounty

It's not finished yet but it's pretty awful. The dialogue is terrible, it sounds like it was written by a 14 year old trying to sound like a gangster, throwing "man" onto the end of every sentence. Don't get me started on Jim Broadbent's Irish accent.

I hope they all die.

Look at that....
    they nearly all did!

Thanks for that, it's one I've got to watch...Brendan Gleeson etc. :D

"All Quiet on the Western Front" (1979) My last night on Netflix. Starring Richard (John Boy) Thomas and Ernest Borgnine. This most anti-war of war films is well worth the effort of staying awake for two and half hours. Paul Baumer and his classmates. caught up in the nationalistic spirit of the age volunteer for God, the Kaiser and Germany during WW.I. and the rest as they say is history....The book written in 1929 by Erich Maria Remarque (a WW.1. war veteran) was written from the German point of view but could just have been applied to the British or French. 10/10

Thought Rec 1 was great, Rec 2, similar but expansive enough to be still good, but thought Rec 3 was generic crap....

I can see how you feel like that. On another night I might have felt the same. I'm actually surprised I liked it as much as I did. It must have been the mood I was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Perrier's Bounty

I hope they all die.

Look at that....
    they nearly all did!

I couldn't take any more after 30 mins and yeah the dialogue and accents were atrocious.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watched The Dark Knight Returns Parts 1 & 2. Great animated adaptation of one of the most iconic Batman stories ever written. Doesn't really deviate from the source material at all and it's all the better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Identity (2003)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0309698

Starring John Cusack, Ray Liotta and some other well-know faces, it's begins as a straightforward murder mystery whodunnit but changes into something different as the film progresses (can't say any more than that without spoiling it). Some people will be disappointed about the change, I was myself just a little bit, but overall I thought it was a very enjoyable, clever film that keeps you guessing up until a certain point, but it still has some surprises right till the end. 8/10

Note: Don't watch the trailer, it shows way too much. Have a quick scan of some reviews on IMDB to see if you'll think you'll like it. Like most films it's better if you know as little as possible before viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

"All Quiet on the Western Front" (1979) ...

Probably strange to say, but I actually prefer this to the classic 1930 version these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Birds (1963) Alfred Hitchcocks last truly successful Hollywood thriller, sure its dated but mainly in good ways. Only the diffusion filter on Tippy Heddrens close ups jarred esp as she hardly needed such "help".

Hitch keeps things splendidly sparse - naturalist lighting, strong use of exteriors (bar the early boat crossing) and no music score, just the eerie 'electronic' sounds of the birds themselves. Obviously the SFX for the attacks are a bit agricultural, mixing optically dropped in critters with real and "puppet" birds (though the final shots have a creepy beauty) but otherwise its gripping stuff as the slightly off centre family unit comes under siege.

The only thing I'd have changed, would have been the final moment. I'd have ended with the countless birds suddenly launching, caught in freeze frame.

Being Hitchcock there is a sexual subtext about feminine wiles, needs and demands but don't worry about that too much :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement