Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

I'm just after re watching the Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers, extended editions. You really should see the extended editions. So much backstory and lore to them.

I'd love to see them in the cinema again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Perrier's Bounty

It's not finished yet but it's pretty awful. The dialogue is terrible, it sounds like it was written by a 14 year old trying to sound like a gangster, throwing "man" onto the end of every sentence. Don't get me started on Jim Broadbent's Irish accent.

Just watched it. Thought it was decent enough - not spectactular but passed the time well enough. Jim Broadbent's accent had moments where he was fairly spot on, but then it did drift rather badly at points which were distracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Man Bites Dog (1992)

Belgian (French language) film about a serial killer/thief who lets a documentary film crew tag along as he commits his crimes. They also film his life in general.

Interesting film. Slightly more artsy than I expected. 2 parts graphic to 1 part drinking red wine, musing about life and discussing the finer points of being a psychopath.

Winter's Bone (2010)

In the Ozark mountains, a teenage girl goes looking for her crank (meth) cook father when the police come knocking.

A pretty bleak film but a good story is told all the same. Not a good advertisement for the Ozark region of the United States or it's people though. The place looks like an absolute kip.

Cape Fear (1991)

Remake starring Robert De Niro as Max Cady, an ex-con looking vengeance upon the lawyer, played by Nick Nolte, that he blames for landing him in prison.

Great, exciting thriller. De Niro's pretty deranged in this one, almost comically so at times but also scary, and scary De Niro is good De Niro. Only complaint is why, oh why did they have to put that silly southern U.S.A. accent on Cady? They should have just let De Niro use his own voice for the character. Could have been Travis Bickle pt. II.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Beasts of the Southern Wild

I really enjoyed this. If enjoyed is the right word. It's very sad, in general, and Hushpuppy's story specifically. I'm not sure what to say about it that hasn't been said already. I was surprised by the fact that of all the Oscar nominations it got it wasn't nominated for best score. The music is fantastic.
    Also, looking at what they could achieve with the tiny (relatively speaking) budget of $2 million it makes you wonder how other films can justify their massive budgets in the hundreds of millions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Narc

Cop film in Detriot with Ray Liotta and Jason Patric.

I thought it was excellent and the twist was pretty clever.

One of the better films I've seen in a long while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Beasts of the Southern Wild

I really enjoyed this. If enjoyed is the right word. It's very sad, in general, and Hushpuppy's story specifically. I'm not sure what to say about it that hasn't been said already. I was surprised by the fact that of all the Oscar nominations it got it wasn't nominated for best score. The music is fantastic.
    Also, looking at what they could achieve with the tiny (relatively speaking) budget of $2 million it makes you wonder how other films can justify their massive budgets in the hundreds of millions.

I've heard a lot of good about this film, but somehow I missed it in the cinema, but it's showing in the Lighthouse next Thursday afternoon, gonna go to that screening.
    EDIT, I see Oldboy is screening there on Thursday evening as well, a great movie, fúcked up, but great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Tony 2009 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1120945/reference

Brilliant and disturbing. The outstanding acting by just about everyone in it made it feel ultra real and believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

The Last Boy Scout
    this is one liner heaven, so many quotable lines, most ive enjoyed watching Willis in a long time. nothing great or spectacular but passed the time and a fun watch

The Hurt Locker
    loved it, had it on the shelf for an awful long time and decided to stick it on. wish i hadn't left it so long now. Renner plays the cocky part very well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"The Man Who Knew Too Much" (1934) on a Sunday Times promo DVD. Despite being directed by Alfred Hitchcock this is an awful mess. Poor plot, poor casting, poor acting, poor directing. Terrorist group plan an assassination in London but their plot is discovered - daughter of family with information about plot kidnapped to prevent them reporting plot - laughable Keystone Cops/Charlie Chaplin style shoot-out brings down curtain on this load of rubbish. How Hitchcock ever got to make another film is beyond me and, surprisingly, he remade this movie in 1956. Some critics reckon the remake was worse than the original - hard to believe but I'll have to get a copy now. :D0/10

the-man-who-knew-too-much-peter-lorre-1934_i-G-37-3724-1WOAF00Z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

'The Trials of Henry Kissinger', a documentary based on a book of the same name by Christopher Hitchens. Alex Gibney, along with Hitchens, had a writing credit on this one so I knew I was in safe hands.
    This is a hugely enjoyable documentary which attempts to substantiate the assertion of Hitchens that Kissinger should be tried as a war criminal for atrocities that took place in East Timor, Cambodia & an assassination in Chile.
    It is an accomplished examination of the power game played by the most famous of all American diplomats. Detractors might point to a slight lack of balance in the piece but it is a very engaging watch. Full doc available on youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Cloud Atlas While not the blow away film I thought it was going to be at times while watching it, it was still really enjoyable. At no point did I get bored or uninterested, and at over 2 hours that's good for me..:o

Chuck & Buck (2000)

Black comedy about a creepy twentysomething obsessively trying to reconnect with a childhood friend. Stars Mike White as Buck, the stalker.

A low budget but very entertaining film about unrequited friendship and growing up as well as being a fine addition to the obsessive stalker subgenre. Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Silver Lingings Playbook - The plot was a quite predictable with no great twists alone the way but the performances were so good you couldn't help but get invested in the characters. Great feel good movie

Kill List - Decent offering this. Certainly different from what I was expecting but in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Breakdown- Great little thriller from 1997 with Kurt Russell and JT Walsh, its on the US netflix, bout a couple who break down in the middle of nowhere and the wife goes missing.

Lakeview Terrace (2008)

Thriller about the antipathy that erupts when an interracial couple move in next door to a bigoted black cop.

Good popcorn thriller that moves swiftly to it's conclusion. An entertaining film. It only gets 6.2 on IMDB and 47 on Metacritic and seems to be getting some stick on the ending but the ending's no more trite than many Hollywood thrillers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I liked this film big time.The rest of the family got bored and left half way through.Brad Pitt is top notch and there's some great dialogue IMO.

"America is not a country,it's a business. Now fcuking pay me!."

LOL................Love that line.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

krudler wrote: »
    Breakdown- Great little thriller from 1997 with Kurt Russell and JT Walsh, its on the US netflix, bout a couple who break down in the middle of nowhere and the wife goes missing.

Really easy film to get into. Was on late one night and wasn't planning on watching it, but I was completely hooked after 5 minutes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Argo

Amazing. Stunning. Brilliant. Watch it. One of the best films I've seen in years. I've had it in my possession for a few weeks now, but only watched it tonight for the first time, more fool I am for not watching it sooner.

Believe the hype. It IS that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Um...no it isn't.

As far as I'm concerned Spielberg was robbed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hospitalité - The kind of hidden gem that Netflix (US) is made for. A very funny, quirky comedy about a Japanese family whose world begins to fall apart after the arrival of an old acquaintance and his foreign wife. It sounds like a familiar setup, but the delivery of the story is surprisingly unusual and distinctive. The film pokes fun at a lot of Japanese social inequalities, such as the treatment of gaijin, an aging population and loveless, repressive marriages of convenience. The themes are subtle, and exist alongside a very entertaining and often hilarious comedy of manners. And, in a rare break from Japanese tradition, it is perfectly paced at only 95 minutes or so.

Mightn't be for everyone, but it's worth giving this charming little film a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭McGrath5

The Impossible

A well told story of a English family caught up in the 2004 Asian Tsunami disaster.
    I think this film portrayed the sheer level of destruction brought on by this disaster, and how this piece of paradise was turned into a living hell.

8/10

Lincoln

I can see why Day-Lewis won the Oscar for this, he puts in a astonishing performance.
    I am still digesting this film, but it was a great look back on a very important moment in American histroy.

8.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭McGrath5

DazMarz wrote: »
    Argo

Amazing. Stunning. Brilliant. Watch it. One of the best films I've seen in years. I've had it in my possession for a few weeks now, but only watched it tonight for the first time, more fool I am for not watching it sooner.

Believe the hype. It IS that good.

I am seriously not believing the hype over this, fair enough if you really enjoyed you are more than intitled to do so, but for me it was a decent enough thriller which does not deserve they hype it is getting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Lore - this is a well-put together, intelligent film but at the same time the sort of one I struggle to get particularly excited over. Follows a group of siblings cross country trip to Munich after their Nazi mother and father are arrested following the death of Hitler and subsequent allied occupation of Germany. From the Australian director of Somersault Cate Shortland. Nicely shot (doesn't get too bogged down by its Malick inspired camera waltzes through countryside), well performed by the young cast and with some fascinating payoffs at the end. Yet at the same time I failed to get completely drawn into the considered pace, and despite some curious developments there's something a tad familiar about it overall. It's a film I can admire in many ways, but not one I loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Skyfall on DVD

I bought it in the pre-used section of Extravision for a tenner... I wished I hadn't.

I was hoping that all the action previews I saw were appetizers for the main event but unfortunately they were the main sequences of the actual film and thats as good as it gets.
    There were no proper stunts or action in the entire film, which is why you watch bond films in the first place.
    Secondly it was filmed mostly in London which is as exotic as Enda Kenny.

The plot (revenge) ranks among some of the worst,tawdry cliche plots I've ever watched in a Bond.
    They didn't develop the 'baddie' or the bond girls neither.
    Bond is PG here and very PC to the point he blends in with the wallpaper .
    I think I'f your gonna make a throwback Pierce Brosnon type Bond at the very least have Bond Misbehaving badly and getting rude with a few hotties.

The only bit of the film that I thought was cool was the actual Song Skyfall as they did a very nice visual sequence underwater when Edel was singing it.

I would recommend not buying this film unless you can get it for a fiver or under.

Kill List...WTF have I just watched!?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Kill List...WTF have I just watched!?:confused:
    It's ending is real wtf!!!

It's ending is real wtf!!!

I was like an awesome feature length episode of Tales of the Unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

The Hunger Games

I heard this was bit like Battle Royal (Which I think it classic) That is one reason, i wasn't to keen on seeing this movie.

I found the first hour of the movie very slow, I didn't think it would have been that slow, I yawning a few times.

There were some decent action just after the hour into but that scene was ruined by the
    Shaky Cameraman, Swear I could make what the hell was going on in that scene.

That just really annoyed me and some of effect did look a iffy at times, what those thing like lions/dog are something, I could not really make them out.

I did found some thing to silly like, the Apple scenes fallen on to the land mind, I was give a break.

as some Similar moment to Battle Royal no were near a good as Battle Royal.

6 out of 10 good movie, could have been better!
    I don't know they going to make sequel to this movie (it's most likely ending being like Battle royal 2)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Tindie wrote: »
    The Hunger Games

6 out of 10 good movie, could have been better!
    I don't know they going to make sequel to this movie (it's most likely ending being like Battle royal 2)

Well considering the hunger games is based on the book of the same name and the book has two sequels, you can also also expect two (three the 3rd book is being split into two movies) sequels, the next hunger games film is out this November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Welcome to the Dollhouse - fairly good and not half as disturbing as Happiness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement