Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Meanwhile, in Italy:

Un-Poliziotto-da-Happy-Hour_locandina.jpg

Spudorato indeed!

"The Policeman of Happy Hour - He's shameless, he's an embarrassment, he's Irish. "

Am I translating that correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Tron Legacy 2010

This remake of the 1982 classic falls short to bring any human story to the film, in other words, I really did not care about any of the characters.
    Although the soundtrack and special effects do make this very entertaining to watch, particularly if you are watching the blu ray version.

6/10

Tron Legacy 2010

This remake of the 1982 classic falls short to bring any human story to the film, in other words, I really did not care about any of the characters.
    Although the soundtrack and special effects do make this very entertaining to watch, particularly if you are watching the blu ray version.

6/10

It's not a remake, it's a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Is it not "sees black"?

Which doesn't really make any sense either.

Aye, sees or looks. But either way. I dunno, even my Gerrie friends haven't a clue what that's supposed to mean.

One of the worst pictures I've seen in a long time, a complete mess of a film. I ratehr enjoyed 'Silent Hill', even if it did sort of fall apart towards the end, but the sequel was absolutely wretched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Ridley Scott's 'Robin Hood' starring Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchett was much better than I expected it to be. Ending a bit weak but then it looks like they were setting it up for a sequel - I wonder is there any plans in that direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

In my opinion there are a huge amount of talented Irish people in music and literature for example but not film, surely if there was there would be regular gems that were considered as you say, "great films" not "great Irish (considering its low budget and made by Irish people, who we probably know) films. I remember I nearly got physically sick after going to see the worse film ever in the history of cinema "Last Days In Dublin", described in the IFI magazine as something like "a great Ulysses type odyssey through contemporary Dublin" and RTE as "If you ever watched a movie like 'Snatch' or 'Trainspotting' and wondered why it couldn't be made here, then you should see Daly's debut." it was in fact absolute bolloxolly in every department.

Believe me from experience, there are huge amounts of talented film makers in Ireland. It's the system that's broken. Everybody is so lost up their own arse. The people with money making twee little "ah sure we're all just farmers here in Ireland" films or "we're all just from Dublin" films. They seem to try and make what they think other countrys want to see Ireland as rather than engaging talent or fostering and developing actually good scripts regardless of the genre or subject matter. I've read Irish scripts that are 100 times better than those produced. A bunch of cheese eating, "oh we're artists", toffs. The level of ignorance and stupidity displayed by some of these people is frankly astonding. It wouldn't be misplaced if you read it in a Joesoph Heller novel.
    To summarize, there are talented Irish film makers and scripters out there but they are being stifled and held back by the people in charge of the money and film making organisations. The very people who are supposed to be helping them
    I got in a lot of trouble for saying something like this before but I don't want to hear it because it's an empirical truth.

Oblivion

Quite enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Cartoon fever in my house at the moment!

Recently watched:

Tangled - great fun! The horse is brilliant.

The Iron Giant - fantastic. It looked a lot older than 1999, I was thinking 80s until I saw the voiceover credits.

The Secret of Nimh - absolutely loved this when I was younger so saw it last night for the first time in years and delighted to find that I still enjoy it just as much. Such a dark story with lovable main characters.

Castle in the Sky - Epic adventure. Dola is one of the best characters I've seen in a cartoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Watched Iron Man 2 last night in preparation for Iron Man 3 next week.
    It is a lot weaker than the first one, the
    final fight fight against the main villan felt very rushed.

Overall I found it to be quite disappointing, but roll on next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

Scary MoVie (2013)

I thought this movie be really bad, I do like some spoof movies, I liked the other scary movies and I even some bad one such as Shirke you know what you did last summer, I didn't Not mind Not Another Teen movie , I thought those were decent movies, also really liked Superhero movie but This scary movie 5 is no were near as bad Disaster Movie (2008), Date Movie or Stan Helsing (2009) or Vampires Suck (2010)

Yes is it the weakest of the series

At the start of the movie, they tried way to hard to be funny, yet could have been funny, I don't think Benny hill music really worked with that scenes.

The main spoof this movie focus on is Mama and Black swan and paranormal activity, planet of the apes and there are other spoof as inception and Evil Dead spoof.

i Thought Evil Dead spoof was really funny, I laughed Few times in those scenes as for rest of the movie, I did found some scenes funny and other were Jokes goes a little to long and fall flat a number of times.

I didn't really like how the movie ended, I didn't find ending that funny at all,

I enjoyed it and I laugh a number of times but I did miss Anna, it dose feel a little strange her not being the movie, They were trying to go for a re-boot of series but kinda shot them self in foot with that.

They must of cut some scenes out trailer, Some scenes trailer were not
    in the movie.

Ashley Tisdale was decent but i didn't find her too funny as did the Cindy scenes in all scary movie.

I really enjoyed 5 out of 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Don't Look Now (1973) Well I have to say I was completely underwhelmed by this. I just didn't really get the sense of tension or atmosphere that others have lauded and didn't really care about the characters, it all felt a bit meh to be honest. Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,982 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm currently watching one of two films with similar names which I used to mix up, because they were filmed in reverse chronology to the real events that inspired them. The film today is Zulu (1964), about the Battle of Rorke's Drift in South Africa, which was the second of two major battles between the British and the Zulus, in South Africa on 22-23 January 1879.

The first, the Battle of Islandlwana early on the first day, was the subject of the 1979 prequel Zulu Dawn. It was a total rout of the British, but it only gets a brief mention at the start of Zulu, along with a shot of a battlefield full of red-coated corpses. Following that debacle, 3000-4000 Zulu marched on the Rorke's Drift mission outpost manned by 140 British soldiers.

Now, I used to live in that part of the world, and have visited both battle sites, and the scenery around the real Rorke's Drift isn't anything like as pretty and mountainous as in the movie. Imagine they filmed the Battle of the Boyne at Glendalough, and you have some idea of what I mean. :cool:

Zulu stars Stanley Baker (who had turned down the role of James Bond a few years earlier), but is best remembered as the film that made a star of Michael Caine. He had been cast in a smaller role, and (so the story is told) had a terrible screen test, but was cast in the leading role of Lieutenant Gonville Bromhead because the production was leaving for South Africa anyway, and they couldn't find anyone else. His character isn't like what we've come to expect from him - he plays a dandyish officer who has to play second fiddle to Lt. Chard (Baker) in the preparations for the battle, but soon comes in to his own.

The film does take some liberties with the truth, of course, but it's quite a powerful piece of work with excellent performances all round. I didn't take it seriously before because of Zulu Dawn, about which I don't remember much of interest.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

EQUILIBRIUM (2002)

Like many people I made the mistake of dismissing this when it came out as a Matrix rip-off. Boy was I wrong! Instead it's a pretty brilliant combination of 1984, Hard Boiled and Farenheit 451. Really, really good, great performances all around, some terrific action sequences AND it makes you think (the sign of really good sci-fi like The Thing, Blade Runner etc entertains and educates). Christian Bale gives a marvellous performance as a man who is entirely emotionless and gradually develops them as he goes along. The scenes where he looks out on a rainbow (because even the most repressive regime in the world can't stop nature), feels the simple sensation running his hand along the banister and rescuing the puppy are a bit clichéd but ultimately irresistible. An amazing depiction of the most pervasive tyranny imaginable but at its' heart it is rotten to the core and easily destroyed (as William Fichtner's character says, take away the propaganda and drugs for one day and human nature will simply take its' course). There's no point being alive if we can't feel.

If I was to have a favourite moment it would be when he's hooked to the lie detector at the end and all seems lost only for his emotions to flat-line, the technician's reaction being all we need to know!.

GO (1999)

After the success of "Swingers", director Doug Liman follows it up with an absolutely superb interlocking character study set among the youth culture of Los Angeles. "Go" is a splendid film on various levels - terrific acting, ingenious overlapping of its three segments, fabulous writing, and Liman's assured direction. Some parts are hysterically funny and the film is an exciting cinematic experience throughout. It just gets better the more times you watch it.

All the sections are very good but the best is Part Two but special mention for Part three (with the scene stealing William Fichtner). The entire cast are in terrific form, with outstanding performances all-round. To single out one performer above the others is difficult with Polley, Askew, Mohr, Wolf, Olyphant, Diggs and Holmes matching each other all the way in their delineation of believable and quirky characters. The film's soundtrack is quite remarkable and captures the hedonism and recklessness that defines the character's actions. If there is a flaw at all (and it is a minor one), it is that occasionally the film is a little too calculated for its own good. Liman knows that he's making something clever and original here, and sometimes has a tendency to be a bit self-indulgently flashy. John August's screenplay is excellent, creating fascinating characters and situations and providing much wit and quotable dialogue. So many of these interlocking capers end up imitating "Pulp Fiction" but this one remains thrillingly fresh and true to its own internal logic. "Go" is a great overlooked film - definitely one to catch!

Gamayun wrote: »
    Don't Look Now (1973) Well I have to say I was completely underwhelmed by this. I just didn't really get the sense of tension or atmosphere that others have lauded and didn't really care about the characters, it all felt a bit meh to be honest. Disappointing.

Aye, one of the most consistently overrated films of all time. It's incredible how many times this appears in "best ofs".

It's a dreary, tedious flick that's only redeeming factor is the Venice setting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Watched King of the Travellers this morning(before looking in this thread), christ it was awful. Shocking acting, storyline, writing. Everything was just terrible. Im glad i didnt see it in the cinema as i had planned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"Zulu" and "Zulu Dawn" are both in my collection and get pulled out on a regular basis. Star studded, cracking action scenes and both memorable for their different themes - "Zulu" for the heroism shown by the vastly outnumbered British force and "Zulu Dawn" for the jingoism and incompetence behind the whole expedition. If anything the cast of "Zulu Dawn" which included Peter O'Toole, Burt Lancaster, Denholm Elliot, Bob Hoskins and, not forgetting Peter Vaughan as the bureaucratic quartermaster, outshone the likes of Michael Caine, Stanley Baker, Nigel Green in the earlier movie. Two classics 10/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Looper007 wrote: »
    EQUILIBRIUM (2002)

Like many people I made the mistake of dismissing this when it came out as a Matrix rip-off. Boy was I wrong! Instead it's a pretty brilliant combination of 1984, Hard Boiled and Farenheit 451. Really, really good, great performances all around, some terrific action sequences AND it makes you think (the sign of really good sci-fi like The Thing, Blade Runner etc entertains and educates). Christian Bale gives a marvellous performance as a man who is entirely emotionless and gradually develops them as he goes along. The scenes where he looks out on a rainbow (because even the most repressive regime in the world can't stop nature), feels the simple sensation running his hand along the banister and rescuing the puppy are a bit clichéd but ultimately irresistible. An amazing depiction of the most pervasive tyranny imaginable but at its' heart it is rotten to the core and easily destroyed (as William Fichtner's character says, take away the propaganda and drugs for one day and human nature will simply take its' course). There's no point being alive if we can't feel.

If I was to have a favourite moment it would be when he's hooked to the lie detector at the end and all seems lost only for his emotions to flat-line, the technician's reaction being all we need to know!.

I must have seen that film about 30 times, love it. Pity there was never an offical soundtrack released, its brilliant.

Equilibrium is one of the most overrated films of all time, its atrocious, the acting is horrible and the action scenes are really fake, plus the story is really really dumb. Bales worst film, he was lucky it didn't end his career.

IMO obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Heckler

Edz87 wrote: »
    Equilibrium is one of the most overrated films of all time, its atrocious, the acting is horrible and the action scenes are really fake, plus the story is really really dumb. Bales worst film, he was lucky it didn't end his career.

IMO obviously.

Really ? For one its probably an underated film overshadowed by the matrix. The acting is fine and the action sequences are fantastic, how you can call them fake is beyond me. Did you think the dinos in Jurassic Park were fake too ?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

IMO obviously.

I think its more underrated then overrated Edz87. The acting is great and The action especially the last 15 minutes are some of the best ever. End his career?? i think this film probably got him Batman.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

IMO obviously.

Seems a tad hyperbolic; doubt anyone would seriously dub Equilibrium a masterpiece - otherwise they need to watch more movies - it's more a case that it's one of those films that passed people by, but was in fact a decent B-movie with an interesting dystopian concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

i don't know, i kind of agree that it is overrated by its fans. the story is the bastard child of three or four of the most well known dystopian pieces of fiction (i mean if you are going to steal ideas here and there at least try not to be so obvious about it), the acting wasn't up to a great standard and the visual style and cinematography wasn't really up to much. the only great thing it really had going for it was the idea of gun kata but that wasn't even handled the best, looking a bit laboured and over choreographed. it is entertaining enough but i wouldn't go looking at it as some sort of underachieving work of art or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Well I see we're back to discussing films again......:rolleyes:

After staring at it in my collection for years (unwatched) I finally opened the cover and placed Brick into the DVD player and pressed play last night - I've previously struggled to believe it could stand up to the hype I've listened to since its release.

I was right. It's not bad, per se; but seemed very predictable and reeked of"trying too hard to be cool" for me. Also seemed a little dated to me for reasons I can't quite describe.....maybe I'm watching too much art house and indie films? I just felt it was meh. I spent a lot of my time watching it thinking "I could have watched X instead of this", which isn't a great sign.

One positive for me though was this is the first time I feel I've seen Joseph Gordon Levitt actually act.

I'd give it a 5/10, but I await an avalanche of hate from the Brick Fan Club.......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭siblers

indough wrote: »
    i don't know, i kind of agree that it is overrated by its fans. the story is the bastard child of three or four of the most well known dystopian pieces of fiction (i mean if you are going to steal ideas here and there at least try not to be so obvious about it), the acting wasn't up to a great standard and the visual style and cinematography wasn't really up to much. the only great thing it really had going for it was the idea of gun kata but that wasn't even handled the best, looking a bit laboured and over choreographed. it is entertaining enough but i wouldn't go looking at it as some sort of underachieving work of art or anything like that.

Yeah, It has its faults alright. Gun Kata is cool but during some of the scenes you can just see fellas standing there waiting to be killed. It has a few plotholes too with fellas not feeling emotion, the clerics get angry all the time and this aspect is never really expanded upon. The acting is grand really, I really enjoyed Christian Bale in it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

jack reacher

a very good movie.Tom cruise in top form.i really enjoyed it.but werner herzog as the bad guy.he was god awful.stick to the documentaries werner .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Tom Cruise in top form - the mind boggles. Surely one of the most wooden actors of all time? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Tom Cruise in top form - the mind boggles. Surely one of the most wooden actors of all time? :D

top form in a Tom cruise way lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Are you serious?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

It's like that ad for Pierce Brosnan's new one where the voice over says "Pierce Brosnan has never been better."

He's never been very good either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Watched the first half of A Talking Cat!?! (featuring the voice of Eric Roberts for some endlessly mysterious reason) with friends tonight after hearing so many 'good' things about it. It doesn't disappoint. A fascinatingly bad film that serves as one of the most insightful lessons into the mechanics of filmmaking I've ever come across. There's so much editing dead space - the director tends to settle on three, oftentimes completely nonsensical, establishing shots when one or none would suffice. Even the actual 'dramatic' scenes are laden with dead weight and pointless detail (sample script direction: "character walks upstairs at excruciatingly slow speed"). The film has no grading or colour correction to speak of, creating a strange incoherence between individual scenes and even shots. The camera is constantly shaking and uneasy, literally unable to settle on an interesting or watchable framing decision. Then there's the actors who are clearly taking a break from their dayjob in softcore pornography (the director's specialty, supposedly). The script barely makes sense. And to top it all off the eponymous talking cat: Roberts, slurring his words, sounds like he was recorded on Skype, while the 'talking' effect has to be seen to be believed. Haven't even mentioned the soundtrack which sounds hobbled together from the jingles in between tracks on educational language CDs.

Highly recommended. Hypnotic stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement