Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'm not saying anything about his acting ability, or lack thereof. He's just one of those actors that gets up my nose for no apparent reason. Like Adrien Brody.

Tony EH wrote: »
    I'm not saying anything about his acting ability, or lack thereof. He's just one of those actors that gets up my nose for no apparent reason. Like Adrien Brody.

But he's such an exceptional talent who infuses every role with such authority and skill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"Perrier's Bounty" (2009) on DVD. Panned by many but I liked it a lot and will be keeping it in my collection. A strong cast headed by Cillian Murphy, Jim Broadbent, Brendan Gleeson and Jodie Whittaker with plenty of action that kept me interested right to the end. Don Wycherley puts in one of his best - and shortest performances - as one of Perrier's heavies. Don't be put off by the naysayers and give this one a look if you get a chance. 8/10

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

"Perrier's Bounty" (2009) on DVD. Panned by many but I liked it a lot and will be keeping it in my collection. A strong cast headed by Cillian Murphy, Jim Broadbent, Brendan Gleeson and Jodie Whittaker with plenty of action that kept me interested right to the end. Don Wycherley puts in one of his best - and shortest performances - as one of Perrier's heavies. Don't be put off by the naysayers and give this one a look if you get a chance. 8/10

I said Nay a few months back, and I still say Nay. Nay!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Gatekeepers - insightful documentary about Israel's Shin Bet security service. Through six interviews with former heads of the organisation, director Dror Moreh brings us on a whirlwind tour of modern Israeli history through the perspective of the people instrumental in making some of its most controversial, influential decisions. The director manages to get some shocking, fascinating responses from them (it reminded me a little of The Fog of War in that sense) - addressing the ethical dilemmas they faced alongside more general reflections on both their time in Shin Bet and their country's current situation. It's dense subject matter, but an absorbing documentary that presented in a pretty even-handed and appropriately clinical manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

The Gatekeepers - insightful documentary about Israel's Shin Bet security service. Through six interviews with former heads of the organisation, director Dror Moreh brings us on a whirlwind tour of modern Israeli history through the perspective of the people instrumental in making some of its most controversial, influential decisions. The director manages to get some shocking, fascinating responses from them (it reminded me a little of The Fog of War in that sense) - addressing the ethical dilemmas they faced alongside more general reflections on both their time in Shin Bet and their country's current situation. It's dense subject matter, but an absorbing documentary that presented in a pretty even-handed and appropriately clinical manner.

Thats next on my list, heard great things about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,507 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I was going through my movie collection today and came across one called Deadly Impact, a 2010 thriller with Sean Patrick Flanery and Joe Pantoliano. Despite the generic name, it was really a great thriller (at it's core, a mad bomber vs. vengeful cop storyline).

I watched the first few minutes to see what it was, and ended up sticking with it until the end, thoroughly entertained throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Ah...no.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Watched very stylish mostly B&W HBO production The Notorious Bettie Page last night. A very sweet movie, which seems like a bizarre word to use given the subject matter but Gretchen Mol delivers a fine performance portraying the innocence of the lead. A fine cast incl. Chris Bauer (Frank Sobotka in S2 of The Wire), Jared Harris, David Strathairn and a lot of usual HBO types. Well worth a look, though a little short.

7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Bee Movie: Was on the box so watched away, usual Pixar movie when hungover, good for a few smiles/laughs but not a patch on what they've gone on to do in recent times

The Breakfast Club: My first time seeing this from start to finish, had seen bits and pieces before. Very good movie, can see why it's a cult classic, great dialogue in it.

It's Kind of a Funny Story: Glad I watched this, liked some of what it touched on, but then that's all it seemed to do regarding certain aspects - only touch on them. I wasn't sure whether this was a result of the director wanting to leave an air of mystery about certain characters or not, certain issues aren't dealt with, leaving me wondering why they didn't take this movie a little deeper, maybe make it a little darker - I was left with questions about certain characters for a finish. As good as it was, I felt it could have been a bit better, that said Zach Galifianakis is brilliant in his role.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

D'Agger wrote: »
    Bee Movie: Was on the box so watched away, usual Pixar movie when hungover, good for a few smiles/laughs but not a patch on what they've gone on to do in recent times

It wasn't made by Pixar, it's a Dreamworks film (so yeah, not a patch on Lasseter & co's output ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Haywire.

Really enjoyed it. Soderbergh’s usual slick photography, a David Holmes score, pummelling fight scenes and Dublin looks kind of cool as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Bit of a mad week this week so here goes -

King of The Travellers

I had seen it reviewed on here by a few over the last few weeks but said I'd give it a chance. My god, it's terrible. Easily the worst film I have seen this year. 1/10

Iron Man 3

I really enjoy the Iron Man (& Avengers) films, so it was not a surprise that I enjoyed this. RDJ is great as Stark again (probably the real reason I enjoy the films tbh)

I felt that
    the ending was a bit weak and predictable, the whole thing with Pepper, and her saving the day.
    7/10

The Place Beyond The Pines

I'll be honest, I didn't know much about this going into it. I honestly thought it was going to be another "Drive"

I was wrong.
    It's a great film with some very good performances from Gosling, Cooper and Dane De Haan.

Completely the opposite of what I expected.
    Run time is a *little* on the long side at 2hrs 20. But very enjoyable.
    8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

'Senna' - excellent documentary about the F1 racing driver Ayrton Senna.

'21' - counting cards movie with Kevin Spacey.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Xmen 2

Had never really seen it fully so I thought I'd stick it on, what with Wolverine 2 coming out soon.

I enjoyed it, a smart comic book movie with some great set pieces and it really shows the colossal fùck up that was The Last Stand.

Plus, Hugh Jackman looked small compared to the walking mass of muscle he is now for the new film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Watched the recently released 'Mama' last night after a friend recommended it, wasn't one I recommend in a hurry, watchable but has it's shortcomings which annoy more the longer the film goes on. Had promise, didn't deliver.

5.37/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Liamalone wrote: »
    Watched the recently released 'Mama' last night after a friend recommended it, wasn't one I recommend in a hurry, watchable but has it's shortcomings which annoy more the longer the film goes on. Had promise, didn't deliver.

5.37/10
    I would have given it 5.36/10. Really disappointed with it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

Six String Samurai (1998)

six-string%252Bsamurai%252B3.jpg

The simple story of a man who traverses the post apocalyptic Nevada wastelands with only his martial arts, his sword and his guitar to protect him. His goal is to reach the hallowed city of Las Vegas in order to claim the throne held by Elvis Presley for 40 years until his death.

Pretty much if you enjoyed Bubba Ho-Tep, you will enjoy this film. It's very much cut from the same mold except maybe more scattershot and low budget. Kind of a deranged and cartoony film at times, actually, but a lot of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sweeney! (1977) David Wickes directed this misfire (and frankly pointless) big screen spin off of the popular Fords and Fisticuffs cop show. They didn't even use the excellent theme music, no Garfield Morgan, no Ian Kennedy Martin, apart from some mild boobage and a couple of splattery shootings (oh and some cussin') it could have been a long winded edition of the weekly series. The main points of interest are mention of the Athabasca tar sands and a copy of Private Eye hanging from the bog roll holder in Carters flat.

Comando (1985) One of Arnies thick ear adventures shot before Twins and Kindergarden Cop changed his box office profile and arguably the least enjoyable not so much for the action and quipping but the absolutely awful music, written by James Horner but produced in large part on what sounds like a Yamaha DX7 (with its thin FM synthesis sound set), complete with kling-klanging electronic percussion which bored a hole in my skull after an hour. For Mark L Lester who's career never quite took off this and Firestarter were as big as he ever got. Though of course neither is as good as Roller Boogie! ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

In the lead up to finally, after three plus years of anxious waiting, getting to watch Evangelion 3.33 within the next day or two...

Evangelion 1.11: I've said it before, and my opinion hasn't changed. A pretty, intermittently exciting film that is at the same time kinda pointless. It's good, but it's a cliff notes version of the TV series beginning in HD.

Evangelion 2.22: I've watched this four or five times now, and never fail to be amazed at how rich the second hour of this film is - a psychologically complex, creatively ambitious and generally thrillingly beautiful mind****. What came before is thoroughly enjoyable too - including two spectacular set pieces - but animated cinema offers little better than the home stretch here (only End of Evangelion can truly match it). I've been waiting a long time to see its various cliffhangers and provocative ideas resolved (well, partially resolved), and fingers crossed part three of this four part saga doesn't disappoint. If you've lost faith in the Hollywood blockbuster, rest assured solace can be found here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tony EH wrote: »
    My only issue with 'Barry Lyndon' is Ryan O'Neal. He's probably the reason why it doesn't get a spin more often.

Rigsby, OTOH, is great.
    I disagree. Whatever about O'Neal as an actor, but he was perfectly cast as Barry. He's supposed to be a bland, vacuous, totally unlikeable knucklehead. O'Neal totally embodied the character in so many ways. I'm not sure there was any acting required. Just look at the guy today.
    But he's such an exceptional talent who infuses every role with such authority and skill.

Its no accident Ryan O'Neals shining moment was in the film in which he had the least dialogue - The Driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

mike65 wrote: »
    Sweeney! (1977) David Wickes directed this misfire (and frankly pointless) big screen spin off of the popular Fords and Fisticuffs cop show. They didn't even use the excellent theme music, no Garfield Morgan, no Ian Kennedy Martin, apart from some mild boobage and a couple of splattery shootings (oh and some cussin') it could have been a long winded edition of the weekly series. The main points of interest are mention of the Athabasca tar sands and a copy of Private Eye hanging from the bog roll holder in Carters flat.

Shut it!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

For the first time in absolutely ages, maybe 6 or 8 months, I'm sitting down in front of the TV to watch a movie properly. Went straight for David Lynch's The Straight Story. I'm only about ten minutes in and I'm already moved. :o

It is a much stranger film than first appears. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but for example they spend a good minute just looking at that grabber in the store. Emphasizes how slow time passes in Iowa I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

For the first time in absolutely ages, maybe 6 or 8 months, I'm sitting down in front of the TV to watch a movie properly. Went straight for David Lynch's The Straight Story. I'm only about ten minutes in and I'm already moved. :o

It is a much stranger film than first appears. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but for example they spend a good minute just looking at that grabber in the store. Emphasizes how slow time passes in Iowa I suppose.

That describes Lynch's entire film (and TV) career and is why he is one of the few geniuses still working in cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

The Raid

While it has some great action scenes ,it got a bit tedious towards the end:eek:.
    But still ,well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Subscribed to Netflix and worked my way through
    3:10 to Yuma
    Thought is was a good film all in all. Solid performances from the main characters.

Pitch Black
    I dont remember this film being all that monster movie like. But then again any of the stuff I do remember being in it wasn't in it. Was a long time since I saw it all those years ago but as monster movies go it was still quite enjoyable.

The Skin I Live In
    Fantastic film. Really enjoyed it. Gripped throughout.

Act of Valour
    Not a great film all in all. Terrible acting but the action sequences were quite well done. As a result of watching this film I've come to ignore Netflix ratings since this was somewhere over 4/5 stars!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Finally got around to filling one of those (many) gaping holes in my film knowledge with Barry Lyndon.

One of my favourites from Kubrick. For a film of its length it never lags or fails to hold my attention. I say this as a person who has little time for period dramas.

Never has there been a greater seduction than this in a movie, accompanied brilliantly by Schubert.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Act of Valour
    Not a great film all in all. Terrible acting but the action sequences were quite well done. As a result of watching this film I've come to ignore Netflix ratings since this was somewhere over 4/5 stars!

To be fair they used actual Navy SEALs in the film so their acting skills are obviously not the best. Whether it was a good decision employing non-actors is debatable. However, you find a much better film in terms of military accuracy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Red Lights

Strong cast - Cillian Murphy, Sigourney Weaver, Robert De Niro, Elizabeth Olsen and Toby Jones. There are a few awkward character notes thrown in early on. X Files type deal going on I guess given that Murphy's character was a bit of a loner, worked in the basement, oh and the 'I Want To Understand' poster. OK. So, Murphy, Weaver and Olsen (smart, attractive undergrad) are basically the scientific A-Team, right? As for De Niro, his character is sorta built up by the film, though without much dramatic reason.

Bobbins in the final act. I'm being a bit harsh here, but it's easy to kick around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Iron Man 3: Really enjoyed this, very Tony Stark heavy, which is normally a complaint for Super hero movies but Downey is so good as Stark that it doesn't matter. I haven't read the main thread but I reckon there will be a mixed reaction about the portrayal of
    The Mandarin...I liked it, it was a nice twist. Right from the off there was something that didn't sit right about his videos but I never would have guessed that. Nice to see aim too, although I did expect Tony to be forced to use the Extremis to escape and for the climactic battle. The end seemed to be a way to get Stark to New York permanently to me, but a lot of talk of this being the last one, which would be a shame.

21 and Over: Such a pile of sh*te. Think it's from the writers of the Hangover, and if the sequel to that didn't demonstrate that they are one trick ponies with a not very funny trick this does so in spades. The main character is a combination of every loud, crass, annoying character in these type of films, and couldn't be more stereotypical if he was played by Jonah Hill. Also not content with introducing an annoying Asian character in the Hangover, and launching the career of one unfunny actor they repeat the process here. Only redeeming feature was The Gaslight Anthem playing over the final credits.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement