Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Side Effects - I thought this was excellent. Felt a little let down by the ending - didn't feel as slick as the rest of the movie and Channing Tatums turn wasn't the best. Laws performance was excellent and Zeta-Jones...well, that was hot!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Side Effects - I thought this was excellent. Felt a little let down by the ending - didn't feel as slick as the rest of the movie and Channing Tatums turn wasn't the best. Laws performance was excellent and Zeta-Jones...well, that was hot!!:D

I don't know about the Zeta-Jones stuff.
    I thought
    it was as if she wanted to be seen doing a lesbian scene, without actually committing to a lesbian scene... Awfully awkward kissing scene. It seemed like Rooney Mara was far more comfortable with it than CZJ

My only fault with it was the ending. It was a smart ending that was dumbed down quite a bit, possibly for the audience

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Magnolia

You may be done with the past but the past aint done with you.......

Had friday off work, came home late thursday and magnolia was on at a ridiculous hour. Havent seen it since it was originally released so decided to watch for a few minutes. But I ended up watching the whole thing. I remember seeing it in the cinema and I've never before or since encountered so many walk outs during a film. At the start of the movie the cinema was fairly full, not jam packed or anything but a decent enough crowd. But by the end there was me and about 6 other people left. Kind of made me enjoy the film even more though, I always know Im at a really good movie when theres walkouts.
    Anyway loved magnolia back then but I have to say on a 2nd viewing its way better than I remembered. I was probably too young to really get everything that was going on so maybe thats it but I just think its an incredible film on so many levels. I know Tom Cruise gets a lot of stick for the scientology thing but he's phenonamal in this. The scene where he goes to see his estranged father on his deathbed has to be one of the best acted scenes ever, right up there with Brando in last tango in paris. Still cant believe that michael caine won the oscar that year for the cider house rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

tunguska wrote: »
    I remember seeing it in the cinema and I've never before or since encountered so many walk outs during a film. At the start of the movie the cinema was fairly full, not jam packed or anything but a decent enough crowd. But by the end there was me and about 6 other people left. Kind of made me enjoy the film even more though, I always know Im at a really good movie when theres walkouts.
    This is how I feel about The Tree of Life.

I love Magnolia too and would love to get the chance to see it in the cinema (was only 9 when it first came out).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

tunguska wrote: »
    Magnolia

You may be done with the past but the past aint done with you.......

Had friday off work, came home late thursday and magnolia was on at a ridiculous hour. Havent seen it since it was originally released so decided to watch for a few minutes. But I ended up watching the whole thing. I remember seeing it in the cinema and I've never before or since encountered so many walk outs during a film. At the start of the movie the cinema was fairly full, not jam packed or anything but a decent enough crowd. But by the end there was me and about 6 other people left. Kind of made me enjoy the film even more though, I always know Im at a really good movie when theres walkouts.
    Anyway loved magnolia back then but I have to say on a 2nd viewing its way better than I remembered. I was probably too young to really get everything that was going on so maybe thats it but I just think its an incredible film on so many levels. I know Tom Cruise gets a lot of stick for the scientology thing but he's phenonamal in this. The scene where he goes to see his estranged father on his deathbed has to be one of the best acted scenes ever, right up there with Brando in last tango in paris. Still cant believe that michael caine won the oscar that year for the cider house rules.

+1 love that film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Sea Of Love

A very well made atmospheric thriller about a burnt out New York cop (Al Pacino) who is investigating a serious of murders who he suspects is been carried by the same person.
    Pacino ends up starting an affair with the prime suspect in the case, which leads him to doubt her supposed innocence more and more.
    John Goodman puts in great performance as Pacino's likeable partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Sea Of Love

A very well made atmospheric thriller about a burnt out New York cop (Al Pacino) who is investigating a serious of murders who he suspects is been carried by the same person.
    Pacino ends up starting an affair with the prime suspect in the case, which leads him to doubt her supposed innocence more and more.
    John Goodman puts in great performance as Pacino's likeable partner.

Snap! Watched it last night on DVD after seeing it was on tv the other night. Another film I snuck into as an underage teen in the cinema when first released in 1989, I remember thinking a lot more of it then than on this veiwing. It's not that it's bad, I just remember the tension being more overbearing than it seemed this time around.

Pacino is good in it, probably because he's not quite found his overacting and shouting genes at this stage and I remember thinking when I saw it first that "ah, there's more to Roseanne's husband the being the butt of her jokes" (Goodman). Barkin still looks hot in it after all these years but maybe I'm biased and viewing it through teenage eyes but a real eye opener was seeing a very young and very skinny Samuel L. Jackson as "Black Guy" (that's actually how he was listed in the credits!).

The stunt double in the fight scene at the end was a little too obvious and wholly unnecessary for what could hardly be described as a stunt tough and the were some glaring continuity errors (the shoe in the shoe shops for example which Pacino removes and never outs back on before walking out), but it's enjoyable enough, if a little forced and schmaltzy at the end. I'd give it a 6.5/10. The OH who had never seen it before said she would give it an 8, but word of warning, she has Sweet Home Alabama as one of her faves.......

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

...a very young and very skinny Samuel L. Jackson as "Black Guy" (that's actually how he was listed in the credits!).

He should be listed as "Himself" in credits, cos that's the only character he ever plays.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Tony EH wrote: »
    He should be listed as "Himself" in credits, cos that's the only character he ever plays.

:pac:

Made me laugh!

In fairness, his Stephen character in Django Unchained was the (only) highlight for me in what turned out be a rather disappointing movie.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Primer.

Recorded it from Film 4 earlier in the week and watched this weekend. Thought I was following it quite well until the last 30 minutes, and then I totally lost it. I think I liked it, though I can't say I understand it all that well. Probably needs a second viewing to form a proper opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

quickbeam wrote: »
    Primer.

Recorded it from Film 4 earlier in the week and watched this weekend. Thought I was following it quite well until the last 30 minutes, and then I totally lost it. I think I liked it, though I can't say I understand it all that well. Probably needs a second viewing to form a proper opinion.
    A second viewing really does it some justice. Fantastic film.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

Watched gridlocked starring Tupak and Tim roth last night deffo 9 out of 10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭McGrath5

was seeing a very young and very skinny Samuel L. Jackson as "Black Guy" (that's actually how he was listed in the credits!).

Indeed, I noticed that, very strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Watched Shane Meadows Somers Town last night on BBC. If you enjoyed This is England, you'll like this. Thomas Turgoose is a very likeable little actor

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1172206/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Sex and Lucía

The Skin I Live In.
    I was shocked watching it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

12 Angry Men was on yesterday. If theres one movie you should see before you die, thats the one. Absolutely brilliant, I've lost count of the number of times I've seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

pookiesboo wrote: »
    Watched Shane Meadows Somers Town last night on BBC. If you enjoyed This is England, you'll like this. Thomas Turgoose is a very likeable little actor

I thought his character became very whiny in the TIE spinoffs and I welcomed his transition to a secondary character but I do like Meadows' work and have been meaning to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

'Festival' - 1967 music documentary featuring Bob Dylan, Joan Baez and the like performing at the Newport Folk Festival in the mid 1960's.

'The Adjustment Bureau' - Matt Damon and Emily Blunt try to defy a strange group of men who wish their seemingly inevitable love affair not to blossom.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

pookiesboo wrote: »

I hated him in The Scouting Book for Boys. Thought he was really annoying, one facial expression, one tone of voice etc.

Anyway, I watched Mud today. I posted more about it in the Mud thread but I really enjoyed it. It's not a really big standout film that you'd be raving about for ages, but it's a solid story, well acted and beautifully shot. Well worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The Big Lebowski

Hadn't watched this in a long time. I had forgotten how good it was. A proper classic from the Coen Brothers.

Jeff Bridges is superb as the laid-back, stoner, inoffensive "Dude" Lebowski. The entire supporting cast is superb, but the show is really stolen by John Goodman who puts in a hysterical performance as the Dude's best friend and partner in crime Walter Sobchak. Goodman brings to life the overweight, tightly-wound, profane, Vietnam veteran like nobody else could.

Another potential show-stealer is John Tuturro who plays the Dude and Walter's bowling rival Jesus "The Jesus" Quintana. The trash-talking, over the top, sexual pervert Quintana is only onscreen for two scenes and is only there for a few moments, but it is a brilliant piece of comedy from Tuturro. Everybody remembers The Jesus (and nobody fúcks with him, either).

The film overall is a classic, but there are stand out little moments that you will never forget and combine that with the eclectic and kick-ass soundtrack, and you have a Coen Brothers Special.

Definitely worth a watch if you have not seen it yet. But, that's just like my opinion, man...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

DazMarz wrote: »
    The Big Lebowski

Hadn't watched this in a long time. I had forgotten how good it was. A proper classic from the Coen Brothers.

Jeff Bridges is superb as the laid-back, stoner, inoffensive "Dude" Lebowski. The entire supporting cast is superb, but the show is really stolen by John Goodman who puts in a hysterical performance as the Dude's best friend and partner in crime Walter Sobchak. Goodman brings to life the overweight, tightly-wound, profane, Vietnam veteran like nobody else could.

Another potential show-stealer is John Tuturro who plays the Dude and Walter's bowling rival Jesus "The Jesus" Quintana. The trash-talking, over the top, sexual pervert Quintana is only onscreen for two scenes and is only there for a few moments, but it is a brilliant piece of comedy from Tuturro. Everybody remembers The Jesus (and nobody fúcks with him, either).

The film overall is a classic, but there are stand out little moments that you will never forget and combine that with the eclectic and kick-ass soundtrack, and you have a Coen Brothers Special.

Definitely worth a watch if you have not seen it yet. But, that's just like my opinion, man...

That film has the best cast. John Goodman, Steve Buscemi, Ben Gazzara, Julianne Moore, Jeff Bridges, Sam Elliot, John Turturro, Phillip Seymour Hoffman. You could nearly watch that cast just improv and it would be worth watching. Also, yes, as far as pederasts go, Turturro's is a likable one, it has to be said. That creep can roll, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Secret Window (2004)
    Based on a Stephen King story, this is a solid little mystery thriller starring Johnny Depp as a writer accused of plagiarism. The film's only flaw is its twist, but it didn't bother me too much. Nothing amazing, but enjoyable. 8/10

Insomnia (2002)
    Pretty tame catch-the-killer thriller directed by Christopher Nolan. Robin Williams and Al Pacino are okay in their roles, but I thought the central premise was unbelievable and the ending was just meh. A very average film. 6/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Insomnia (2002)
    Pretty tame catch-the-killer thriller directed by Christopher Nolan. Robin Williams and Al Pacino are okay in their roles, but I thought the central premise was unbelievable and the ending was just meh. A very average film. 6/10

Christoper Nolan :O !! I'm surprised ...

Anyway , I have watched this weekend:

Total Recall (2012) -
    Awful awful rehash of a classic.
    lousy acting, lousy one dimensional characters - terrible film.
    I thought Bryan Cranston would be better.

Coming to America (1988) - Good flick from the 80's, I was watching it
    purely on nostalgia, quite funny and enjoyable.
    Arsenio Hall steals the show for me here...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Insomnia (2002)

The Norwegian version with Stellan Skarsgard is a far far better and darker film. Pacino played his character as a far more likeable character. Skarsgard's version is a bit of a bastard and he doesn't get the hero like redemption ending like in the US Remake. Nolan's Weakest film but still a very good film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Side effects

Decent enough psychological thriller, fabulous performance by Rooney Mara, she played the depressed damsel very convincingly. Never a fan of Jude Law myself but he did OK in this. He seems to be a favorite of Soderbergh. Felt a little bit rushed in the final third, although saying that it did make the twist induce more eyebrow raising due to the leads character in the first two thirds of the film.

Interesting group the psychiatrists in the US, very powerful and wealthy group of doctors with wide ranging influences in the pharmaceutical, medial and legal fields. If this film is accurate then they have a chilling amount of power over individuals.

One thing though why
    did Rooney Mara spill the beans to Jude Law in the psychiatric hospital? I must have missed a line or two of dialog. Was it just to get her released
    ?

edit: watched some of Upstream Color, but turned it off as I wasn't in a trip balls kind of mood at the time. Looked very interesting though, will have to watch it properly soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Griff The Invisible

Loved it. A customs liaison officer is also a superhero. In the same vein as the recent heroes-sans-powers films, one in particular but I don't want to say as it's a bit of a spoiler. Griff is a likeable guy, sort of dude I'd wanna be best friends with. Well acted and directed. Made me cry manly tears of happiness towards the end. Fairly good upbeat soundtrack, too. Recommended to people like me, who wanted to be a superhero when they were a kid, and still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Hausu (1977)

Madcap 70s Japanese fare, thouroghly mental and hugely enjoyable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

In the Bedroom

Unassuming and riveting drama set in a small town fishing village in Maine USA, directed by Todd Fields. Recommended.

Aftershock

Awful Chilean film from the Eli Roth school of horror, only worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

A Good Day to Die Hard.
    Watched it or should i say try to watch it. The first sequence is ok with the car chase. After that i dont know whether im watching a tv movie or what? its terrible!
    I fast forwarded thorugh a lot of parts and then after thinking i missed a plotline l went back, only to be disappointed. There was no plot for a hole to fill.
    Very shoddy and nothing to do with Die Hard. It has the name but nothing else.

Bruce Willis doesnt care anymore.

Please save your money..................or bandwidth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

cursai wrote: »
    A Good Day to Die Hard.
    Watched it or should i say try to watch it. The first sequence is ok with the car chase. After that i dont know whether im watching a tv movie or what? its terrible!
    I fast forwarded thorugh a lot of parts and then after thinking i missed a plotline l went back, only to be disappointed. There was no plot for a hole to fill.
    Very shoddy and nothing to do with Die Hard. It has the name but nothing else.

Bruce Willis doesnt care anymore.

Please save your money..................or bandwidth

Agreed. I and II were brilliant films. III was the beginning of the end, and should have actually been the end. Check out some of the interviews he's done since, it's pretty depressing to watch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement