Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

kraggy wrote: »
    Excellent film. Have you seen Enter The Void? Another one from Noe. Some of the camera work is brilliant.

I have that on the list to watch next, watched I stand alone last night, another messed up, but quality cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Inferno (1980) Dir:Dario Argento

Suspiria which had been picked up by 20th Century for US distribution was enough of a hit for them to back the Italians next film which is set in New York and Rome. A supernatural thriller companion piece to his 1977 film, Inferno is just a bit barking, the story hardly exists and what there is is merely a pretext for characters to go into various buildings, rooms and passageways where something nasty will occur. The art direction and lighting are the stars here - a mix of lurid tones red and blue mainly combined with dark shadows, the special effects overseen by Mario Bava are notably good, esp the miniatures of New York at night and the partial models which are used like a matt painting. It all ends in a fashion that the title suggests.

The film ended up a victim of a change of management at Fox who buried several releases made under the previous regime. Though it was previewed and reviewed widely at the time, only in Italy was Inferno much seen in 1980. It would take seven years before it even saw a VHS release and has remained relatively unseen. Its recent Film 4 outing was its first showing on UK TV I think.

Not top draw Argento but worth seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Saw Edward Scissorhands for the very first time yesterday, really loved it and actually did make me quite teary near the end, yep they dont make them like that anymore, well rarely :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Saw Edward Scissorhands for the very first time yesterday, really loved it and actually did make me quite teary near the end, yep they dont make them like that anymore, well rarely :)

Right! Makes me so sad watching old Tim Burton films, they were so great before he got obsessed with CGI and forgot about characters and plot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

True, its probably his finest film. A genuine classic for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Beatlejuice would be close.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ed Wood > all other Burton joints.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Somewhere

Lost in translation is possibly(top 5 at the very least) my favourite movie of all time so Im not really sure why its taken me this long to sit down and watch Somewhere. Eventually did so at the weekend and I have to say I loved it. Stephen Dorff puts in a great performance I think. He's living the rock n roll lifestyle but still comes across like a decent guy. Its a very atmospheric film with a sparse but effective soundtrack by Phoenix.

The hangover

I saw this when it originally came out and I think myself and Mrs Tunguska where the only ones in the cinema who didnt laugh. I get that people love these movies so maybe its just different strokes for different folks, I'd be more of a Big Lebowski man myself. Anyway it was on tv last night so I decided to give it another go just to see if I had missed something the first time round. But I can safely say after a second viewing that I just dont get the Hangover. I think I laughed 4 times all in all. The part where the lads are on the roof of their hotel before they embark on their night of debauchery is funny, Zach whatever his name is gives an hilarious speech about lone wolves and a wolf pack. But theres a lot of nonsense aswell thats just not funny. The scene with the cops and the Tazering is more bizarre than humorous. And the scenes with the chinese guy arent funny at all. Definitely wont be going to see Number 3.........

Magnum Force

Actually forgot about this. Havent seen Magnum force since I was a kid(honestly dont know what my parents where up to letting me watch this). Caught the start by chance and just kept watching. Holds up really well, I mean the orginal Dirty Harry is rightly considered a classic but this is pretty feckin' awesome too. Shouldnt have been too surprised though, writing credits for John milius and michael cimino. Great storyline, nice photography, tight script, solid acting. Plus clint eastwood delivers possibly the line of the century:

If everybody could shoot like those boys I wouldnt care if the whole damn department was queer for each other

Brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

My problem with the original Hangover was the lack of imagination and wit. Anyone who heard about how "random!!!!" it was was left bored because everything was either shown in the trailer or explained by somebody else to you. All that's left is to go "Yep there's a tiger.", "There's Mike Tyson." and "There's the naked Asian guy." etc etc. The characters are neither likeable nor loathsome enough to be funny or interesting either, watchable but a huge let down given the word of mouth. Even with a film like Borat I was still laughing out loud in spite of all the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

The Skin I live in. spoiler
    Basically Antonio Banderas kidnaps a feen and turns him into a biore.
    Dragged on a bit

The Sessions. Helen Hunt was robbed of an oscar and how John Hawkes wasnt nominated for an oscar but Bradley Cooper was for Silver Linings Playbook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

pookiesboo wrote: »
    The Skin I live in. spoiler
    Basically Antonio Banderas kidnaps a feen and turns him into a biore.
    Dragged on a bit

The fact that an entire middle section of the film is a flashback takes away from the momentum of an otherwise fine and quite disturbing film. It's just a little bit confusing in that there's never any immediate indication of a flashback. The character staring off into space at a funny angle and wavy lines appearing would be trite, yes, but then cutting to the flashback as if going to another scene sometimes takes you out of the story as you try to reorient yourself. I suppose, as they say, it's better to be confused for a minute than to be condescended to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Stoker.
    Loved all the original Vengeance trilogy. That said this was average. The whole thing was as forced as Nicole Kidmans expressions. As over polished polished as her botoxed forehead and as false as her lips. The ending annoyed me as to the girls motives. Maybe a lot was lost in the directors translation, i dont know?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - pretty fascinating Western. It's John Ford so it looks amazing. It has a fantastic cast led by Stewart and Wayne so its brilliantly acted. But most interesting are the film's thematic conflicts, set in a dying Old West where lawlessness must contend with legal systems and democratic politics (although it also draws some intriguing parallels between the two seemingly opposing ideologies, particularly in the concluding sections).

There was a point when I thought it was all going to be some thinly-veiled right wing / gun nut propaganda - it is a Ford / Wayne film after all - but it's actually a lot more ambitious and even-handed than that and is happy to take its time framing its wider contexts. Beautifully paced and full of compellingly extended sequences, it stands up as one of the most distinctive 'classic' style Westerns, albeit one that's willing to subvert formal and structural norms.

And it also has the funniest moment involving a horse and an election you're ever likely to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

speaking of westerns, saw Open Range again the other night, such an underrated gem of a film. Great cast, solid acting and one of the best gunfights ever put on film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I watched The Princess Bride last night, having not seen it in ages.
    Nice Blu-Ray print - looked like it was shot yesterday.
    Clever mix of postmodern humour and romance.
    One of Rob Reiner's best films.
    Never fails to entertain.
    Christopher Guest is almost unrecognisable as Count Rugen.
    Elwes is a convincing swashbuckler.
    Inigo Montoya has the best kiss-off line ever.
    Vizzini is a riot.
    Andre the Giant is superb.
    Buttercup is sauce.
    Luckily, I got to see it in the cinema about twenty years ago.
    Easily deserving of all its' acclaim.
    :D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I watched The Princess Bride last night, having not seen it in ages.
    Nice Blu-Ray print - looked like it was shot yesterday.
    Clever mix of postmodern humour and romance.
    One of Rob Reiner's best films.
    Never fails to entertain.
    Christopher Guest is almost unrecognisable as Count Rugen.
    Elwes is a convincing swashbuckler.
    Inigo Montoya has the best kiss-off line ever.
    Vizzini is a riot.
    Andre the Giant is superb.
    Buttercup is sauce.
    Luckily, I got to see it in the cinema about twenty years ago.
    Easily deserving of all its' acclaim.
    :D

Inconceivable:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Six Shooter

Quality short from Martin McDonagh. Sharp dialogue and black comedy. Ruaidhri Conroy is the star.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Just watched Marathon Man 1976. Quality film with a good story that keeps you interested throughout. Dustin Hoffman, Laurence Olivier, Nazi's, diamonds, espionage, murder and more. Enjoy.

Is it safe?.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Transiberian 2008 5/10
    Some terrible and irritating acting by Emily Mortimer. Why does she speak sooooo sloooowwwww?
    If someone went around taking photographs of me randomly and without permission, on a train or elsewhere, id probably have an issue with it. Especially of my children sleeping or otherwise.
    Some racist representations of Russians on the train.
    Have they no mobile phones to ring each other????
    Woody Harrelson is likeable. I think if he played Hitler. Hed be likeable.

Overall.....meh. And if i was on that train, id have pegged Mortimer out of the window at the start and cut my losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,432 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

krudler wrote: »
    speaking of westerns, saw Open Range again the other night, such an underrated gem of a film. Great cast, solid acting and one of the best gunfights ever put on film.

Definitely agree with you there. Just watched it again last night, its an excellent western which I think bypassed me a bit when I first saw it a few years back. Excellent performance from Costner....which is not something you can say too often anymore! One small gripe though was Gambon's "oirish" brogue, I found that pretty corny:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,982 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Some low-brow films I've watched recently on TV include:

Shooter: started off well, with an interesting take on the good and bad aspects of being a trained sniper, but turned in to a bit of dodgy gun-happy wish-fulfilment by the end.

RED (Retired, Extremely Dangerous): good fun with a cracking cast, including Dame Helen Mirren firing a machine gun in a ballroom dress ...

The Hangover: first time I've seen it, seemed heavily derivative to me. Harold & Kumar go to Las Vegas and ask Dude, Where's the Bridegroom?

Started watching Pineapple Express the other night. About halfway through there was a commercial break, I looked at something on the computer, and promptly forgot about the film. Not a good sign, generally.

Finally, just watched Hudson Hawk for the first time in at least a decade, wondering whether it really was as much fun as I remembered. It was. Even David Caruso was funny. :)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Story of Yonosuke - another long, charming and very funny film from Shuichi Okita (one of Japanese cinema's best kept secrets in the West). A bit rom com, a bit character study, a bit quirky comedy, its altogether an accessible, compelling and thoroughly entertaining tale of an oddly named college student and the various people he comes in contact with in freshman year. Also extremely tightly crafted in all the important respects. Should be available later this year, but get Woodsman and the Rain while you're waiting ;)

The Woman from the Sea - wacky, atmospheric, pulpy mid-century Nikkatsu flick. Imagine Jaws meets Ugetsu Monogatari with a touch of the Little
    Mermaid, but steamier than any of them. Atmospheric and effective stuff that messes around with genre in quite a fun way. Presented in an immaculate 35mm print at the BFI that was a genuine treat to experience.

Pigs & Battleships - bold and frequently brilliant breakthrough film from the great Shohei Imamura about social breakdown and gangsters in American occupied Japan. A rough draft of the director's developing anthropological concerns, the film has a real vibrancy and urgency especially in its remarkable visuals. The climactic set piece of machine guns, hundreds of pigs and a red light district is remarkably visceral and extravagant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

Sound of my Voice (2011)

Low key sci fi thriller about a couple of young documentarians who are investigating a local cult and their charismatic leader who claims to be from the future.

Very good film. It keeps you guessing. Made me think of the John Titor story at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"Saints & Sinners" (1949) on DVD. Kieron Moore, Christine Norden and Noel Purcell. Comedy drama about a man convicted of embezzling church funds who, on being released from prison, returns to his home village determined to clear his name. Everybody in the village seems to have something to hide and it's only when a local soothsayer predicts the end of the world that the truth comes out. Filmed in and around the village of Carlingford, Co.Louth, the movie is worth tracking down as it's a time capsule of an Ireland that disappeared utterly within a few short years. As a story it's quite weak and only for the serious collector of Irish movies. Not released on VHS or 'officially' on DVD, it's possible to buy online. 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

A brilliant film about Russia's involvement in Afghanstan in 1988 true story to boot as well. Ps it's in Russian

http://youtu.be/6ZFHknaZHc0

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

krudler wrote: »

Yeah really great film, think it got overlooked because Costner's career was on a down turn at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Kon Tiki (2012) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1613750/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Excellent account of the 1940's crossing of the Pacific from Peru to Polynesia by Thor Heyerdal to prove that it was possible for natives of Peru 1500 years previously.
    Highly recommended.

Rust and Bone(2012) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2053425/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Good film, pretty depressing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone (2013)

I remember reading it's own thread on here and people were saying how bad it was. But I enjoyed it. Not gonna say it's one of the must see comedy movies of the year but it does it's job.

Born of the fourth of July
    (1989)

Good movie. Vietnam really was a horrible war and it showcases the after effects quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Born of the fourth of July (1989)

Good movie. Vietnam really was a horrible war and it showcases the after effects quite well.

If you liked that, watch Oliver Stone's Untold History Of The United States. It's a 10-part documentary series where he investigates beyond the accepted and well-known history of the United States and examines the more seedy underbelly. It is really excellently put together and is not easy viewing at times, but it well worth it.

Very easy to track down online. And it left me absolutely numb after watching it. So much of it leaves you so furiously angry at how different (and better) the world may have been at various points that Stone touches upon.

Well worth a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Nice one, I must check out Born on the fourth of July and the Oliver Stone documentary on US history.

Great thread for movie ideas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement