Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,843 ✭✭✭✭briany

Tucker and Dale is a hilarious film. The two leads are a couple of great comic actors. Cabin in the Woods was a good but quite overrated film. T&D is a great but curiously underrated film.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Tony EH wrote: »
    I have this knocking around, but I haven't got the urge to watch it yet.

Mathew McConaghey.......ugh...can't stand him.

Haven't you heard there has been a McConaissance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,299 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I prefer this send up more than Cabin in the Woods. It had me in tears laughing at some points.

+1

I thought 'Cabin in the Woods' wasn't particularly good and certainly not as smart as it thought is was.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I have this knocking around, but I haven't got the urge to watch it yet.

Mathew McConaghey.......ugh...can't stand him.

I hear you brother and normally I'm in the same camp but he's very good in this and a lot different to his usual roles. It's worth a look IMO if you like darker stuff - this is not "Fool's Gold" etc.!

Aye...I'm watching it at the moment.

Probably the best thing he's ever been in.

• Advertisement

Aye...I'm watching it at the moment.

Probably the best thing he's ever been in.

He was very good in Bernie, also. Maybe that's his niche - bad cops.

"Is that your dick Ansel?"

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I can't stand McConaghey. Does he take his shirt off for no reason in the movie? I haven't seen it just because he's in it.

It's actually not a bad film. Worth a watch. He isn't awful in it, like he is in most things..

...and I don't think it's too much of a spoiler to say that yes, he takes his...ahem..."shirt" off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 Immolation

Evil Dead 2013

I haven't seen the first one but this was formulaic gorefest.
    Boring with no real suprises, thankfully short.

Overall, 4/10

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

To be fair to McConaughey, he's done an awful lot in the last year or two to leave his generic rom-coms (and associated posters with him leaning against invisible walls) roots behind. Killer Joe was a pretty radical deviation, he was clearly having a lot of fun in Magic Mike and he did a really good job in Mud as well.

His wider filmography is all over the gaff, but he's made a serious and intelligent effort to be taken seriously in a range of pretty good films. Although to a certain degree all three characters above are just variations on 'sleazy, mysterious Southern guy', he does it well. I'm not sure if he has greatness in him or anything, but he's far from the toxic presence he once was - and, to his credit, he's earned that for himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"A Week in the Life of Martin Cluxton" (1971) An RTE TV production - not released on VHS or DVD and the only place to view it is on YouTube. The uploader is nlgbbbblth of this parish.

A 16 year-old returns to Dublin from reform school in County Galway. Sensitively shot in black and white it really captures the grim days of the early seventies for those with little education and the wrong address. Lots of interesting footage for railway enthusiasts too! I enjoyed it and want a copy for my collection. :D9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

"A Week in the Life of Martin Cluxton" (1971) An RTE TV production - not released on VHS or DVD and the only place to view it is on YouTube. The uploader is nlgbbbblth of this parish.

A 16 year-old returns to Dublin from reform school in County Galway. Sensitively shot in black and white it really captures the grim days of the early seventies for those with little education and the wrong address. Lots of interesting footage for railway enthusiasts too! I enjoyed it and want a copy for my collection. :D9/10

Ha! That is mad. We were only talking about this film at home after it was on Reeling In Years a while ago.

That's my father there from 6 minutes 30.

Kelly!!!!!!!!!!!

"We gang up on him sir!"

Safe to say the acting bug didn't stick with him. :)

Immolation wrote: »
    Evil Dead 2013

Overall, 4/10

Evil Dead was a lot better than I expected. I thought it was a solid horror film but, yes, no surprises really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Evil Dead 2013 was gory enough, but none of the cast captured the essence of Bruce Campbell. Now he was one bad mother******.

Evil Dead 2013 was gory enough, but none of the cast captured the essence of Bruce Campbell. Now he was one bad mother******.

He wasn't that bad of a mother until the second film. In the first film he was an unwilling hero IIRC. I think the original Evil Deads were a one off and not something that can really be duplicated or bettered. Too many things in ED2013 that just felt contrived or borrowed. Even the title screen was a rip off of Insidious, which itself is a Frankenstein's monster of many other successful horror films. The original EDs had an amount of charm and wit to them as well and the sillyness grew as the series progressed. A sly subversion of the genre is something that's almost completely missing in contemporary, mainstream American horror. A perfectly watchable film was ED2013 but nothing to top the brilliance of "Yo! She bítch! Let's go."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I watched a version of Blade Runner last night for the first time. (I know; a movie buff who has never seen Blade Runner. How embarrassing).

Loved it, blown away, <not enough hyperbole to describe how much I loved this film>. You get the idea.

But I'm just wondering, which version is the best (I've no idea which one I watched!). There are 7 out there according to various sources.

Which one, then, would be the "best" (I'm sure they all have their strong and weak points). But for the viewing public at large, which of the 7 versions available is the "best/definitive" one?

Cheers.

EDIT: I have no idea why the "cool" emoticon is on my post, either. must have pressed it accidentally. Sorry.

To Sleep with Anger (1990)

Drama about an African-American family living in an L.A. suburb and the tribulations that come about when an old, old friend (Danny Glover) from "back home" (deep south) stops by for an unannounced visit.

A film dripping with southern flavour. In the tradition of Fried Green Tomatoes, not an awful lot happens but it's really more about the character interaction and the sense of place anyway. It's about the importance of family, tales of the south, a few wily old boys and appreciation of some good corn liquor.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Watched "Mulan" there on Sunday. Definitely my favourite Disney movie. However, got Sky Movies there yesterday and "Skyfall" has already been recorded so il probably give that a watch later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The scene on the couch where Matt Damon is eating popcorn and Michael Douglas is rubbing his legs is hilarious.

Can't believe I forgot to mention Rob Lowe. :pac:

To Catch a Thief

Grace Kelly swimming? Ahem. Anyway, blending the right amount of charm, caper, wit and some pointed dialogue, this seemed effortless.

• Advertisement

Downloaded (2013)

A documentary examining the rise and fall of the venerable file sharing service Napster, the storm it caused and how it changed the way people consumed recorded music.

It's basically the Napster people and some music industry figures doing the talking head thing and giving their account of events, so the presentation is a bit dry but I still thought it was quite a fascinating glimpse into a pretty revolutionary time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Immolation wrote: »
    Evil Dead 2013

Overall, 4/10

totally agree.i watched it last night. the amount of gore in horror movies these days is putting me of watching them tbh.there's no need for it. i think it shows a lack of imagination imo.
    anyway watch the original don't bother with this. and for god s sake pray they don't make a sequel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 Immolation

Europa Report 2013

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/europa_report/

Interesting cast, Sharito Copely, Michael Enqvist, in a found footage Journey to the Planets type quest.
    Enjoyable enough, probably a bit too realistic if that's a complaint, sometimes felt you were watching a Discovery Science documentary, this is not an Aliens or Armageddon type spectacle.
    Some daft decision making & plot holes aside it's enjoyable enough if like me you like science documentaries.

Overall, 6.5/10

One thing annoyed me though
    You come the whole way to Europa & only bring one underwater probe ????? daft

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Greenberg

I remember seeing the trailer for this a while back thinking it looked good. Loved the squid and the whale so hopefully more of the same. 3 years later I finally get around to watching it.......thought it was pretty good overall. Script was tight, some great dialogue. The acting was flawless though. i was thinking to myself, Jesus Greenberg is an absolute asshole, what a dickhead. But that made me realise how good ben stiller's performance was. Greta gerwig was brilliant aswell, her character was such a lovely person I wanted to scream at tv for her to get as far away from greenberg as possible. Rhys Ifans puts a a scene stealer, effortlessly cool. Bit of a naff ending but the opening scene was great. I think all films should open with the steve miller band..........

7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

DazMarz wrote: »
    I watched a version of Blade Runner last night for the first time. (I know; a movie buff who has never seen Blade Runner. How embarrassing).

Loved it, blown away, <not enough hyperbole to describe how much I loved this film>. You get the idea.

But I'm just wondering, which version is the best (I've no idea which one I watched!). There are 7 out there according to various sources.

Which one, then, would be the "best" (I'm sure they all have their strong and weak points). But for the viewing public at large, which of the 7 versions available is the "best/definitive" one?

Cheers.

EDIT: I have no idea why the "cool" emoticon is on my post, either. must have pressed it accidentally. Sorry.

Did the one you watched have a voice over? If so thats the worst version. I personally like the Directors cut, no voice over, no silly ending with dekard and sean young driving off into the country side a la The shining.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

The kids are alright - Meh

Arthur - not bad, not great but definitly not bad

Any of the Marx brothers stuff, being introduced to it by the bf - FUNNY :D

Young frankenstein - retro funniness

Ghost of girlfriends past - surprisingly tearsome and heartfelt for a chick flick, and very cool soundtrack!

28 days later - freaky kinda stuff, but imho not as good as Walking Dead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

tunguska wrote: »
    Did the one you watched have a voice over? If so thats the worst version. I personally like the Directors cut, no voice over, no silly ending with dekard and sean young driving off into the country side a la The shining.

Yeah, I saw a version with a voice over. I thought it was really good all the same!

So the director's cut is the best version, then? Cheers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

I'd definitely agree with the previous poster; the Director's cut is much better. I thought there were only 3 releases in total but I'm open to correction on that.
    I do remember the Director's cut from the early 90s was a significant improvement on the original; they got rid of the tiresome voiceover and there was also a subtle but important addition to the storyline involving Deckard (Harrison Ford).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Down terrace on film 4, well that was a bit different, from the same fella that did kill list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Watched two I'd seen before last night.

Guyver II: Dark Hero

I remember watching the animated series when I was younger, and then the two films years later. I always remembered Guyver II as being better, and watching it again, I remember why. Backstory for the film is, a dude gets given a semi-sentient weapon that lives inside him, and appears as a suit when he needs to kick some ass. It's a pretty violent movie, considering it almost looks like a Power Rangers film. Some gnarly kills. One thing that had me and a friend laughing like crazy was the bizarre animal sounds the monsters made, one in particular being an angry house cat sound. All in all, pretty good film. A bad intro to Guyver, but oh well. I'd say, watch the series to be honest, but this film is enjoyable.

Shoot 'Em Up

Pretty much the only film starring Clive Owen I enjoy. A guy saves a baby from Paul Giamatti's goons, and what follows is an over-the-top gun-fest made pretty much for people who love the schlocky action movies of the past and video games. Hilarious, impossible and needless excess, quips, kills that defy logic and physics, and a hot chick. What more do you need in an action flick? I generally don't see the point in sequels, but I'd pay to see a Shoot 'Em Up 2: Shoot Harder or whatever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement