Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

The Hole (2001).
    Really twisted teenage crush that spirals out of control
    . I always enjoy a claustrophobic drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Brave

Finally got around to watching Pixar's most cinema release (Monsters University aside). A modern take on Celtic folklore. Very much enjoyed it. As is the case with all Pixar movies, visually it was fantastic and the soundtrack was very good also. Good bits of humour intertwined with a generally good, flowing storyline.
    That bit when the bear hunters made a rope out of their kilts to get down the castle walls and walked away kilt-less was genuinely hilarious :D

Probably not as good as Toy Story 3 or Up, but taken on it's own merits it's a fine animated film. Pixar continue to lead the way in breathtaking animation, and remains my favourite "film franchise".

Roll on Monsters University.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

A70-2687
    "Fools of Fortune" (1990) Finally tracked down a watchable copy. Why it hasn't been given a DVD release is beyond me. Based on the book by William Trevor, directed by Pat O'Connor and with a star studded cast including Iain Glen, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, Julie Christie, Tom Hickey, Niamh Cusack.....A tragic, gripping tale which begins in the 1920's Black & Tan era. Don't watch it if you're feeling depressed as William Trevor doesn't do happy. Worth tracking down a copy. 10/10 :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Shoot 'Em Up

Pretty much the only film starring Clive Owen I enjoy.

Great dumb film alright, but I take exception that it's the only good Clive Owen film. Check out Inside Man and Children of Men if you haven't already (for a start).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Down terrace on film 4, well that was a bit different, from the same fella that did kill list

Wait until you see A Field in England !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Ok, up this weekend were End of Watch, Savages (Extended Cut) and Movie 43 (Extended Cut). Haven't watched the cinematic versions of the latter two but will get around to those.

End of Watch I found quite enjoyable, to a point. I liked the pace and the found footage feel to some of the shots. Some of the gang scenes were pretty cool and the relationship between Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Pena was realistic and a touch "brotherly". Pena is always reliable for me but Gyllenhaal is better in this than anything i've seen him in before. he's normally too wooden for my liking, but he's ok in this. What lets it down are a number of pretty bad continuity errors (Pena asking JG why he got married in his "blues" (uniform) when in actual fact he got married in a suit very lazy editing) and two of the late scenes involving the shootout(s). Won't spoil it for anyone by explaining those further if you want to watch it. Overall, an enjoyable movie that could have been better. Oh and Anna Kendrick is in it (remember her from "Up in the Air"? ). I'll give it a 6.5-7/10.

Savages I really enjoyed despite the mixed reviews of it that I've previously read. Blake Lively doesn't really do much as the female lead (I previously read the Jennifer Lawrence was originally signed up for this role - my, my, what a delight that would have been!). She doesn't really convey the poor little rich girl who should be scared sh!tless all that well, and the monologues are a bit draining. The two main male leads (Taylor Kitsch and Aaron Taylor-Johnson) are ok, but they're completely out-classed and out acted by heavyweight Benicio Del Toro who's pretty menacing as a cartel enforcer. As good as his performance is, i couldn't help but think he was doing a Danny Trejo impression in places. John Travolta looks pretty weird due to balding and I assume Botox but turns in a strong enough performance as a semi-crooked cop. Salma Hayek is pretty cool as the female boss of the cartel, and there's a bit of a Mexican all-star ensemble cast making up the rest of the cast. It's violent and dark, but if you like that kind of thing, and like Oliver Stone movies, give it a go. I'd give it 7-7.5/10.

Highlight of the weekend for me though was Movie 43. I know this will not be everyone's cup of tea but I almost wet myself in places. This is gross-out comedy in the extreme and has about as big a star billing cast as you'll ever see. I'd list who's in it but we'd be here forever. To say it has predominantly mixed reviews would be an understatement - they're almost all negative, but the few that approve love it. Yes, it's childish, immature, racist, homophobic (i could go on)....but it's not trying to be something it's not. And it is funny. I think people are obsessed with hating this film and the PC brigade will love to hate it. there is zero chance of this ever being on RTE, but that for me is probably a good thing. I think those who hate it completely miss the point. Tis is not meant to be taken seriously. It even laughs at itself in places. I'm giving it an 8/10*

*I await the derision of my fellow boardsies and the loss of all/any credibility I'd built up to this point. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

Untouchable (2011)

French dramedy about a rich quadriplegic aristocrat type, a Senegalese man who winds up as his care giver and the relationship between them.

Really, really great, entertaining, funny and sometimes touching film. The quality of films regularly coming out of different parts of Europe is making everything Hollywood can offer look silly. It's no wonder Hollywood so often looks to Europe for things to remake. Definitely a film I could recommend blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,026 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Watched 2 films over the weekend:
    The Neverending Story Have seen it before but it's been a few years, plus I got a photo with me on Falcor recently so wanted to watch again.

Attack the Block Better than I expected it to be. I felt the reason for the invasion didn't make sense. A couple good and bad points are
    Good: Once the gane members started dying it really made it more tense as then anyone could die. Until that point, I thought they were all safe.
    Bad: The cops were made out to be really useless. Strange creatures everywhere including at the scene of the death of 2 cops yet they seem oblivious to the fact that these creatures exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

old hippy wrote: »
    Wait until you see A Field in England !!

I watched a field in England last night, a strange film, I'm glad I wasn't stoned watching it

Ill Manors.

MV5BMTM4NzA5MDczOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTI5NDg4Nw@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

Superb. 8/10

Plan B is a is a formidable talent to say the least, its just one long rap, the whole film but Iv'e never seen anything like it, I enjoyed it immensely. That guy that was in 4 Lions (Riz Ahmed) is just class.

Recommended 100%

• Advertisement

Edz87 wrote: »
    Ill Manors.

MV5BMTM4NzA5MDczOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTI5NDg4Nw@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

Superb. 8/10

Plan B is a is a formidable talent to say the least, its just one long rap, the whole film but Iv'e never seen anything like it, I enjoyed it immensely. That guy that was in 4 Lions (Riz Ahmed) is just class.

Recommended 100%
    I agree the film was a lot better than I thought, great ending

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Super

Brilliant and a lot more enjoyable than Kick Ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

DazMarz wrote: »
    I watched a version of Blade Runner last night for the first time. (I know; a movie buff who has never seen Blade Runner. How embarrassing).

Loved it, blown away, <not enough hyperbole to describe how much I loved this film>. You get the idea.

But I'm just wondering, which version is the best (I've no idea which one I watched!). There are 7 out there according to various sources.

Which one, then, would be the "best" (I'm sure they all have their strong and weak points). But for the viewing public at large, which of the 7 versions available is the "best/definitive" one?

Cheers.

EDIT: I have no idea why the "cool" emoticon is on my post, either. must have pressed it accidentally. Sorry.

I've always prefered the original version with the voice-over, even thoug ha lot of people hate it. It lends a kind of "noirish" feel to the whole thing and Deckard isn't a million miles away from those 30's P.I.s.

I can't watch any other version any more.

"Grabbers" (2012) Am I the last person to see it? At €4 in Xtravision I couldn't put it off any longer. It's Oirish, quite funny in places and super scenery - including Ruth Bradley - but not as good as it could have been. 7/10 for effort.

grabbers_2259324b.jpg

Only in an Irish movie could people get away with taking on an alien with a kitchen knife, a rolled-up magazine and a chair. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I watched a field in England last night, a strange film, I'm glad I wasn't stoned watching it

It's got that nightmarish surreal quality to it without the need for er, additives :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

quickbeam wrote: »
    Great dumb film alright, but I take exception that it's the only good Clive Owen film. Check out Inside Man and Children of Men if you haven't already (for a start).

That's why I added "That I've seen." ;);) . I did like him in the Bourne film he was in, but he had a very small part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Robot and Frank is a great film. very warma dn funny...bit sad too. Some performance out of the lead actor. can't think of his name.

The new OZ film which was a lot better than i thought it was going to be. decent enough.

New superman was tripe of the highest order.

Flight with denzel was a solid film although bit iffy with the goodman scenes and his character

World war z - saw it with a health dose of the fear after a 3 day stag. Thought the effects were class. decent film. did not warrant all the bad press

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

I watched "I Spit on Your Grave (2010)" Recently.

What a delightful little movie that was

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Safety Last - delightful little comedy starring Harold Lloyd as a shop assistant (named Harold Lloyd) who goes to increasingly desperate lengths to assure his girlfriend he's a big city big shot. Full of witty, tightly choreographed and ever escalating sight gags, it all culminates in one of cinema's most iconic images - Lloyd hanging off a clock, dangling precariously a dozen stories above the city streets.

Lloyd is often considered the 'third' great silent comedian - after Keaton and Chaplin - but films as rich and entertaining as Safety Last (where even the very first image is a brilliantly playful visual pun) remind us how foolish it would be to ignore or forget the comedies of the era. They display a mastery of form and ingenuinity that easily shames the vastest majority of modern funny people. And, of course, they're still damn funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Mies Vailla Menneisyyttä (The Man Without A Past) by Aki Kaurismäki.

Firstly I knew nothing of this Finnish director before a random tweet popped up on my timeline from a film critic I follow. Naturally curious I began to research his work and discovered that this was his best received movie.

It is a delightful tale of the people on the margins of society and the kindness of those very people, interspersed with some brilliant dry humour. The central character is perfectly played by Markku Peltola ably assisted by his love interest Kati Outinen. It is impossible not to be swept up and invested in his journey.

I highly recommend this movie and will be checking out some of his other work.

Thankfully the full movie is available on youtube (turn on English captions for subs).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Manhattan, in gorgeous 35mm. Mix one of Woody Allen's most insightful, honest and witty scripts with some of cinema's most beautiful, stark black & white cinematography (that trip to the planetarium - just wow). Very possibly Allen's crowning achievement, and seeing it on the big screen lent it a new vibrancy.

"One Hundred Mornings" (2009) on DVD. Low budget post-apocalyptic movie which centres on two couples surviving in a cabin on the outskirts of a remote Irish village. As supplies dwindle desperate measures are called for...Think "Lord of the Flies" meets "Lost" crammed into 80 minutes with no budget and you have it. Apparently the movie cost €275,000 to make but it's very hard to see what it could have been spent on. A weak storyline (a blind man could see what's coming next), poor direction but reasonably good acting make this another one for only the diehard Irish movie collector. 4/10
    Can anybody explain how the electricity comes back on for about 30 seconds halfway through the film?
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Heckler

Just had the unfortunate experience of seeing the fast and the furious 6. Holy god what a bad film. Now I'm all down for an brainless action film at times but for the love of christ.... From the brutal dialogue, wooden acting (especially Vin Diesel), inexplicable jumps in location and timing etc. to the downright stupidity of the tank chase scene and the 100km long runway in the end scene.

I kept watching after 30 minutes just to see how bad it could get and it exceeded my worst expectations.

Bad, bad, bad. Do not watch.

Only ever seen the first F&thF, didn't like it cos i'm not a boy racer or 12 and number 5, i think the first one with the Rock and thought it was watchable but totally forgettable.

I completely agree, fast 6 was a disaster of a film, laughable at times, last minute was the best part of the film.
    I watched gi joe retaliation all the way through I was wondering what it reminded me of, then I got it, watching power rangers with my little brother when I was on baby sitting duties, I advise all to avoid these two films

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I think the clues were in the titles lads...

:pac:

:P

dead mans shoes, good film, very moving , best of the film4 lot so far

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭rednik

Watched Big trouble in little China, still a classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Aliens 3: Can't say I really liked this, I like a lot of Fincher movies, it doesn't really feel like a Fincher movie to me though. The story is pretty poor also so I guess there wasn't a lot he could do with it. 2 characters from GOT in it though :)

Despicable me: Enjoyed this immensely! Very funny and had a good heart to the movie as well.

Killer Joe: The basic premise is that Matthew Mcconaughey is hired as a hit man to kill this families mother as the daughter of the family is the beneficiary. It's a good movie, unsettling in places with a strong performance by Mcconaughey. Nice to see him moving away from the stuff we'd become used to seeing him in. Wasn't expecting the last 30 minutes in this movie though,
    will never look at a drumstick the same way again.

White House down, channing Tatum and Jamie fox doing another version of Olympus has fallen, definately better

White House Down (2013): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2334879/

• Advertisement

Wasteland, a man seeks revenge after being set up for possession to supply, first hour was kind of dragging and then it picked up, very good ending
    8/10
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1981140/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement