Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,389 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hah, I read that somewhere, too, but wasn't sure if it was accurate.

I heard that podcast as well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Watched Drinking Buddies tonight. Was better than I expected. Was kind of odd seeing all that drinking in an American film that wasn't something like American Pie etc. It seems to be either that extreme or the other, i.e. they pretend that Americans dont drink. Not really much a rom-com but had good chemistry i think between the leads.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

krudler wrote: »
    This available online? (legally)

Doesn't look like it, unfortunately. Although the website does at least have a good list of venues screening it. The Lighthouse in Dublin looks like the only Irish venue so far :( Still, worth keeping an eye out for whenever it hits DVD/on-demand availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

IDENTITY THIEF.

worst film i have seen in a long time. not funny at all. angry over it to be honest

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - a decent addition to the series & one of the better CGI showcases.

Orphans of the Storm - Beware bolshevism, says DW Griffiths! Under the guise of a sibling story set in revolutionary France, natch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

The Squid and the Whale (2005)

Really liked this film. Enjoyed the over intellectualising of everyday life. Great performances all round. "Don't you remember the last line of Godard's 'A bout de souffle?'"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The Burning Plain

Recorded this a while back off film 4, got around to watching it today.

Stars Charize Theron, Jennifer Lawrence and Kim Basinger. The film jumps between several different characters and time. It's a bit hard to follow at the start, for example the character Jennifer Lawrence plays has two time frames, so it's a bit confusing at times, but it starts to make sense if you stick with it.

It's hard to explain what it's about without giving it all away. I was going to link to the imdb page but the description there gives one major part away, so don't look at that! Basically 3 women in different difficult relationships and their stories interweave until they all come together in the end.

I'm not doing a great job at selling this.

I enjoyed it. Charlize Theron is really good. I think I've only ever seen her in Hancock before, shocking, I know. She's great. Jennifer Lawrence is great in one of her first films. The entire supporting cast is good too. I think it's worth a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

The Burning Plain

Recorded this a while back off film 4, got around to watching it today.

Stars Charize Theron, Jennifer Lawrence and Kim Basinger. The film jumps between several different characters and time. It's a bit hard to follow at the start, for example the character Jennifer Lawrence plays has two time frames, so it's a bit confusing at times, but it starts to make sense if you stick with it.

It's hard to explain what it's about without giving it all away. I was going to link to the imdb page but the description there gives one major part away, so don't look at that! Basically 3 women in different difficult relationships and their stories interweave until they all come together in the end.

I'm not doing a great job at selling this.

I enjoyed it. Charlize Theron is really good. I think I've only ever seen her in Hancock before, shocking, I know. She's great. Jennifer Lawrence is great in one of her first films. The entire supporting cast is good too. I think it's worth a watch.

if you've only ever seen her in that you should watch monster.good god she's brilliant in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

crazygeryy wrote: »
    if you've only ever seen her in that you should watch monster.good god she's brilliant in it.

she was brilliant in Young Adult as well

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Yeah it's weird, I was sure I'd seen her in lots of stuff and then one day I was looking through her imdb and I realised I hadn't seen anything! I'm remedying that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

oblivion.
    i fell asleep during it.god it wasn't great at all. i wanted it to be but it wasn't. don't bother with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

oblivion.
    i fell asleep during it.god it wasn't great at all. i wanted it to be but it wasn't. don't bother with it.

its good until Morgan Freeman arrives then it falls apart. the
    cover story for why Cruise is doing what he's doing is a far more interesting plot that what's actually happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Oblivion, crap
    Drinking buddies, crap
    Mean streets, great film
    Grown ups 2 not a great film but a few laughs in it.
    Mud, quite an enjoyable film, Mathew maconohay was quite good in this surprisingly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Oblivion - meh
    Beerfest - meh
    Anchorman - classic.
    Pacific Rim - very good
    At Worlds End - meh
    Wolverine 2 - meh
    Harold & Kumar go2 Whitecastle - very funny.
    The Colony - watchable.
    Deep Impact - I enjoy it :)
    GI Joe Retaliation - quite good actually.

prolly one or 3 others I cant think of.

The wolverine, good film, wolverine ninjas and a hot jap babe, can't go wrong, start of a trilogy here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

oblivion.

Jesus, I fell asleep too during the 2 attempts to watch it.

Jesus, I fell asleep too during the 2 attempts to watch it.

How did it score a 7 on imbd, for the first hour nothing happened, I was expecting a big ending, but it was consistently ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Manborg (2011)

What can I say, I enjoyed it a lot. It's falls into the its bad and that's good camp. It's only an hour long, it's visually all over the place and the plot is just slapped together. Enjoyed the end. Check out the trailer.

Hell baby
    A comedy take on the horror genre from the makers of Reno 911, not going to win an Oscar but not bad if you want some silly humour 6/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Um...I actually liked 'Oblivion'

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Clue (1985)

Based on the boardgame Cluedo. Stars Tim Curry and Christoper Llyod. I wasn't expecting much but it's actually good :) and a good few laughs thrown in.

Well worth seeing. It has a 7.2 imdb rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Roadhouse (1989)

Cheeseriffic!

Patrick Swayze is a bouncer (with deadly martial arts skills) who helps cleans up a dive of a bar and face a prick of a villain who controls the town. Sam Elliot tags along and kicks the shìt out of a few folk, too.

One of those 80's action / karate movies that if you don't take seriously, it'll provide plenty of laughs and fun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

thought oblivion was good

could some please explain to me what the fcuk actually went on in it ?? maybe i need to watch it again to understand it, i watched it at like 4 in the morning half asleep

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

A V A wrote: »
    thought oblivion was good

could some please explain to me what the fcuk actually went on in it ?? maybe i need to watch it again to understand it, i watched it at like 4 in the morning half asleep

The mean way of putting it is that they nicked ideas from Moon, Planet Of The Apes, 2001: A Space Odyssey and Wall-E and cobbled them together into a inferior film.

The helpful way of putting it is
    a team of astronauts are sent to rendezvous with an unidentified object that has entered the solar system; the object turns out to be a malicious alien that uses them as clone templates to create an army and over-run the earth, killing most of humanity. The remainder become Scavengers and try to fight back using guerilla warfare. One of the Cruise-clones inadvertently discovers the truth after an unauthorised attempt to rescue human survivors from a shipwreck, and joins the Scavengers in the fight agains the Tet, ultimately destroying it by flying a bomb into its core and saving the Earth.

I thought it was ok, an uninspired effort considering some of the ideas being bounced around - it some good visuals and a nice choice of films from which to draw inspiration, let down by a generally feeble script.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Trainspotting

You forget how good certain films are. Until you go back and watch them again.

This is one of those films. Absolutely brilliant. The life and crimes of a few heroin addicts from Edinburgh (along with a psychopathic mate, overbearing girlfriends, an under-age provokatrix and some deeply concerned, misguided, but well meaning parents). Danny Boyle makes this film a masterpiece. It is genius.

The cast put in superb shifts, nobody putting it all out there (literally in some cases!) that Ewan McGregor as the (anti)hero Mark Renton. Rents/Rent-Boy/whatever is intelligent, articulate and wants a good life, but is crippled with a heroin addiction. His internal monologue is priceless at times. McGregor starved himself and lost a lot of weight to play the emaciated Mark Renton.

This film has been (most notably by 1996 US Presidential Candidate Bob Dole) accused of glorifying heroin, heroin addiction and the subsequent life thereof. Utter nonsense. There is nothing in this film that shows heroin for anything other than the scourge that it is. Stealing, getting caught. Dying of AIDS-related illnesses. A baby dying of neglect, its mother spending most of her day out of it on smack. There is nothing glorious or remotely attractive here. Sure, there are times when the characters may look cool or sexy, but that is quickly shot down when you see how desperately pathetic they actually are.

The scintillating rock/punk soundtrack only adds to the grotty, gritty feeling of the film, as these hapless miscreants try to survive on the streets, back alleys and abandoned houses around Edinburgh. Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, Primal Scream, Underworld, etc. all pepper the musical landscape.

The film has many notable set-pieces that have permeated pop culture. There are often imitated, but never bettered.

This should be compulsory viewing for young people to show them how bad heroin can actually get.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

This is the End.

I don't really go for this type of movie but this was actually quite good. Some of the ideas and jokes in it were original and lol funny.

Trading Places.

Absolutely love this movie, its right up there in my pick of alltime classics and what a rack on Curtis.;)

The Truth about Kerry.

Watched this on Netflix, my god I cant describe how bad the acting was and I will never trust ratings on IMDB again, it scored 6.7. Its about an American woman named Kerry that went missing in Kerry, truly shocking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Hey, thought i would chime in here with one i have watched recently. Im sure it has been done before but i read here a bit and thought i may contribute something.....

It always surprises me after watching a movie like Shame, having heard the critics thoughts and boardsie's opinions, why did it take me so long to watch such a great film.

Stellar performances by both Fassbender and Mulligan and indeed all of the main characters, few of which there were. Addiction movies can tend to become cliched in light of pieces such as Trainspotting or Requiem for a Dream. Although this is the first type of movie about addiction or compulsions of this type that i have seen, I'd imagine Shame manages to avoid these cliches capturing the very essence of the course of pain which Fassbender's character, Brandon, must experience. His torment, I felt, rang echoes of Christian Bales character in American Psycho, however, here the protagonist's struggles are much less gorey but just as intense and of course physical.

I've not yet seen The Great Gatsby but will definitely see it as soon as it comes out, 12 Years a Slave also looking like an excellent way to spend any rainy afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Local Hero, 1983

This is one of those films that you hear about from time to time. One of those wonderful gems of films that is a small film, but it is a small film to treasure. The film is made in a brilliantly low-key manner, and it is made with patience. This film is truly about the characters contained within. There are splashes of magical-realism in the film that adds to its charm.

The film centres around an initially brash, self-absorbed and stereotypically 1980's businessman/yuppie, Mac MacIntyre (played superbly by Peter Riegert). He is sent by his company, Knox Oil And Gas, to a small fishing village on the coast of Scotland to finalise a deal to purchase the entire village and its environs. This is in order to make way for a huge oil refinery.

The initial twist of the film is that the locals are not against the sale, as one might imagine. Contrarily they are rubbing their hands in collective glee at the thought of getting rich off the back of the American company by selling their land and moving away. In an amusing turn, they are concealing this eagerness in the hopes of making the Americans pay more than they want to.

Mac and Danny, the Scottish contact for the oil company, arrive into the town and meet with the locals. Most notable amongst them is the community leader, owner of the local inn and the local accountant Gordon Urquhart (Denis Lawson; Wedge Antilles from Star Wars for those trivia buffs). Gordon and his frisky wife greet the two oil men and make them welcome in the village.

As the film progresses, the quirky locals grow upon the initially cynical Mac and he falls in love with the beautiful, picturesque village. In the meantime, Mac's boss, Happer (Burt Lancaster), insists Mac update him with reports on the meteor showers and the Northern Lights that occur around the village. This leads to Happer and Mac growing to view the village as something more.

This is a wonderful, character-driven film. Some have derided it as boring, but they are missing the point entirely. It is a brilliant examination of characters, people and their lives. The juxtaposition of the man who has everything (Mac) and how he is not entirely happy in his own life and relishes the simple life of the village and the villagers who initially do not appreciate their own simple yet happy lives in the village and cannot wait to get their hands on their fortunes is brilliant.

The film also contains a powerful, emotive score. Composed by the ever-brilliant Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits, the soundtrack actually outsold the film. The score blends acoustic guitar, Celtic music, jazz and rock seamlessly. The intricate, introspective finger-picked guitar stylings make a perfect musical complement to the wistful tone of the film. Below are two of the most famous pieces of music in the film, the "Wild Theme" and "Going Home".

All in all, this is one of those films that will make you think, draw the odd little laugh and in the end has one of the most wistful and brilliant endings. Superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

DazMarz wrote: »
    Trainspotting

You forget how good certain films are. Until you go back and watch them again.

This is one of those films. Absolutely brilliant. The life and crimes of a few heroin addicts from Edinburgh (along with a psychopathic mate, overbearing girlfriends, an under-age provokatrix and some deeply concerned, misguided, but well meaning parents). Danny Boyle makes this film a masterpiece. It is genius.

The cast put in superb shifts, nobody putting it all out there (literally in some cases!) that Ewan McGregor as the (anti)hero Mark Renton. Rents/Rent-Boy/whatever is intelligent, articulate and wants a good life, but is crippled with a heroin addiction. His internal monologue is priceless at times. McGregor starved himself and lost a lot of weight to play the emaciated Mark Renton.

This film has been (most notably by 1996 US Presidential Candidate Bob Dole) accused of glorifying heroin, heroin addiction and the subsequent life thereof. Utter nonsense. There is nothing in this film that shows heroin for anything other than the scourge that it is. Stealing, getting caught. Dying of AIDS-related illnesses. A baby dying of neglect, its mother spending most of her day out of it on smack. There is nothing glorious or remotely attractive here. Sure, there are times when the characters may look cool or sexy, but that is quickly shot down when you see how desperately pathetic they actually are.

The scintillating rock/punk soundtrack only adds to the grotty, gritty feeling of the film, as these hapless miscreants try to survive on the streets, back alleys and abandoned houses around Edinburgh. Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, Primal Scream, Underworld, etc. all pepper the musical landscape.

The film has many notable set-pieces that have permeated pop culture. There are often imitated, but never bettered.

This should be compulsory viewing for young people to show them how bad heroin can actually get.

This post reminded me of that film. Starting to watch it now on US Netflix. The last time I saw it was back in the 90's. Deadly!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement