Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Dark Shadows (2012)
    All over the place, starts off good and is funny in parts , but really its the same owl ****e .... thought Burton would do better , really liked his other flicks with Johnny Depp ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

High Noon

I read hype about this film for years, held up as a classic

I liked the theme song they used

But this film was not for me, below average

Maybe I'll be called a philistine but I watched expecting to be entertained and I certainly wasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 19,315 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

For a short 80 minute film that abandoned all the usual western tropes, 'High Noon' deserves its classic status.

It is showing its age now, no doubt and it's hard for people who have never seen it before to understand why it's held in such good stead.

It's worth seeing just because it pissed John Wayne off so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

I think High Noon would have been much better if it didn't have that annoying and cheesy theme song running the whole way through it. As it stands, I still find Rio Bravo the better film despite agreeing with the politics of High Noon and disliking John Wayne immensely. Still an important film for its time but now more of a curiosity piece and not very entertaining.

More on topic, I watched The Cabin In The Woods last night, and damn I wasn't expecting it to be that funny. It was almost genius in the way it deconstructed your standard horror fare and ended up being possibly the most intelligent horror comedy i've ever seen by a bit. The only part I didn't like was the very final shot, which was a bit cheesy and unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Arbitrage. Good, solid, entertaining murder/financial thriller. Worth watching.
    Richard Gere is very good in it. A man Id almost turn gay for.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I only watched High Noon for the first time recently, and thought it had barely aged a day. Still as taut, tense and entertaining as it must have been at release. Plus, the context of the film's production only enhances it. In an era where Hollywood was terrified of subversion or change, High Noon stands proud as a bold, cynical piece of work.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Forgive my ignorance, but why did it piss John Wayne off?

He believed it to be "un-American". Wayne was a supporter of McCarthyism and HUAC blacklisting and felt that the films story was an allegory against such movements.

Wayne and Hawks later made 'Rio Bravo' as an answer to 'High Noon'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Kellys Heroes -- has aged like a fine wine, Class film.

'The Straight Story'

David Lynch's extreme departure from his usual fare sees him concentrating on his most "straight" yarn to date and his choice of the true story of Alvin Straight, who traveled from Iowa to Wisconsin on a John Deere lawnmower to see his estranged brother, who has suffered a bad stroke. Alvin is in his 70's and cannot drive, his own health is in bad form too and his dislikes other people being behind the wheel.

'The Straight Story' has been quite rightly lauded by many and is a very charming film. Somewhat sentimental, but in a wholly agreeable way, it's a quietly warm tale, that's touching and melancholic, but not devoid of humour.

It's central performance by Richard Farnsworth is excellent and I get the feeling the he put an awful lot of himself into the role. Farnsworth, who was terribly ill with bone cancer, leaves an indelible mark on the film and seems to be in great pain in some scenes, that didn't appear to come as a part of his acting.

There's also a brilliant turn by Sissy Spacek as Alvin's daughter Rose, who is completely convincing in her role. If you see the picture, you'll know what I mean.

'The Straight Story' is a "road movie" of a different flavour and it's slow and steady pace may put some viewers off. There's not much action, but along the way Alvin meets various people and has different effects upon their lives and vice versa. Once such moment comes in the form of a moving revelation, when Alvin is relaxing at a bar with another old timer. There's also a strangely funny encounter with a distraught woman who has bad experiences with deers.

Undoubtedly, 'The Straight Story' is not for everyone, but I think that most people would be pleasantly surprised by it, if they're willing to allow it the chance.

9/10

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

^^Hands sown my favourite David Lynch movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Die Welle (The Wave)

German film about a school project that gets out of hand...very good acting with a great ending..

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

Tony EH wrote: »

David Lynch's extreme departure from his usual fare sees him concentrating on his most "straight" yarn to date and his choice of the true story of Alvin Straight, who traveled from Iowa to Wisconsin on a John Deere lawnmower to see his estranged brother, who has suffered a bad stroke. Alvin is in his 70's and cannot drive, his own health is in bad form too and his dislikes other people being behind the wheel.

It's not that extreme of a departure - it's a more subtle approach to the same kind of thing he was doing around Blue Velvet (and afterwards).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Just watched Rescue Dawn (2006). Follows a pilot whose plane crashes in Laos and soon he is imprisoned by the Vietcong. Brilliant performances from everyone - Bale, Steve Zahn, Jeremy Davies. Great cinematography as well. Will have to check out the documentary it's based on, and I also need to get around to watching Fitzcarraldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
    I saw this in the cinema but it was ruined by kids who decided everyone would prefer to hear their commentary than the actors. So finally got around to watching it on Blu Ray. I enjoyed it and think It's been long enough since I read the book that I wasn't comparing them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,906 ✭✭✭✭briany

'The Straight Story'

Undoubtedly, 'The Straight Story' is not for everyone, but I think that most people would be pleasantly surprised by it, if they're willing to allow it the chance. Or, if showing it to someone, could just omit the fact that it is a Lynch movie, sneakily fast forward past the opening credits. :)

9/10

I agree that the Straight Story isn't for everyone. It's only for those who like well made films with a heartwarming story. :P

Easily Lynch's most accessible work yet he called it his most experimental film. In any case, it's just a great self contained bit of cinema and I think most open minded people who sit down to watch it with no expectations would enjoy it. Now, for many people, when you say 'David Lynch', you're saying a name that is to viewer expectation what the atomic bomb was to ordinance but if they're fair minded enough to give it 20 minutes I'd say they'd be pleasantly surprised.

I'd heard that he said it was his "most experimental film" alright and I would agree with him, which is why I called it an extreme departure from his usual material. He probably means "experimental" in as much as he has abandoned the more surrealist aspects of his storytelling and gone for a straighforward (and true) tale. He also shot it in chronological order.

I have mixed feelings toward Lynch. There are films of his that I like, 'The Elephant Man', 'Mulholland Dr.', 'Blue Velvet' and 'The Straight Story'. Then there's the likes of 'Inland Empire' 'Lost Highway' and 'Wild at Heart' which I'm not mad about. There's the glorious failure of 'Dune', which I really wished he'd succeeded with. I also tried to get through 'Twin Peaks' a couple of years ago, after having see it as a kid, but couldn't finish the series. It got boring, idiotic and I lost interest.

Overall, I like Lynch, I think and will always check his stuff out. There's been times where I've disliked his stuff, like 'Blue Velvet', or 'Mulholland Dr.' on first viewing, then grew to like them susequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Finally got around to watching Sherlock Hollmes: A Game of Shadows last night.

Loved it, thought the chemistry between Law and Downey Jr. was fantastic once again, with the inclusion of Stephen Fry a nice touch.

Not too sure about the ending but overall I thought it was brilliantly done once again, the recreation of old London and Paris was excellent and would highly recommend.

On another note - I can't believe I was unaware of who Jared Harris was until now (for shame on me) - thought he was excellent as Moriarty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,906 ✭✭✭✭briany

I have mixed feelings toward Lynch. There are films of his that I like, 'The Elephant Man', 'Mulholland Dr.', 'Blue Velvet' and 'The Straight Story'. Then there's the likes of 'Inland Empire' 'Lost Highway' and 'Wild at Heart' which I'm not mad about. There's the glorious failure of 'Dune', which I really wished he'd succeeded with. I also tried to get through 'Twin Peaks' a couple of years ago, after having see it as a kid, but couldn't finish the series. It got boring, idiotic and I lost interest.

Overall, I like Lynch, I think and will always check his stuff out. There's been times where I've disliked his stuff, like 'Blue Velvet', or 'Mulholland Dr.' on first viewing, then grew to like them susequently.

Thought Inland Empire was an over ambitious mess for the most part although there are one or two parts that are terrifying and to be fair it really does have the look and feel of a nightmare but it's just that's not really something you want to sit through 3 hours of with it's dreamlike continuity and lack of logic. In fact if you watch the documentary concerning the making of it called "Lynch", he expresses some concern at the lack of direction the film has a couple of times and worries how all the 'ideas' in the film will tie together.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Robotnic

The Possession (2012) comically awful thriller/horror, it didn't drag in terms of viewing time is a positive as I could be.

Warrior (2011) apparently not a massive box office hit but a very enjoyable mma film for even a non follower of the sport. Tom Hardy being an animal yet again. Loved it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ugetsu Monogatari - such a wonderfully realised film. Truly one of the greatest films ever made, from one of the best directors who ever lived. The poetic cinematography, the eerie atmosphere, the perfectly paced melodrama. So good, I just wanted to leave the cinema and make a ****ing film right there and then because films like this are reminders of why film is such an inspiring artform.

!!!!!Warning: May contain traces of spoil!!!!!

'Dredd'

2000AD's Judge Joe Dredd comes to life and it does an awful lot to exorcise the woeful Stallone effort from 1995. The producers have gone through great lengths to make it known that this is not a sequel, but an independent story with an aim to get things right this time. In a simple story, that unfortunately people are comparing to 'The Raid', the chop-socky nonsense from a few months ago, Dredd has to combat drug lord and uber-nutjob Mama and, with her hordes of equally nutty henchmen in one of Mega City One's huge City Blocks. Along for the ride and rookie assessment is PSI Judge Anderson and together they have to defeat Mama and get out of the Peachtree City Block alive.

The good stuff:

It has a very tight script and there's little flab and its 90 odd minutes go by well. It was a good idea to confine it to a city block too and not burst the budget and the general mechanism of using a kind of "hotdog run" was an excellent way to introduce Anderson. Speaking of Anderson, Olivia Thirlby is spot on and really brings her to life. She's one of the best things about the film and I really hope she returns in any particular sequels. Whoever cast her was right on the money. If rumour is correct and the Dark Judges make an appearance at some stage, then Anderson is a must. Karl Urban has the right jaw, his voice is ok, but threatens to go OTT at times and his Dredd is decent. In fact, most of the roles are carried off very well.

The violence. In a film where "justice" is carried out on the spot and is often terminal, 'Dredd' quite rightly doesn't skimp. The film is incredibly violent and all the better for it. This is not a film for kids. Brains are splattered, bullets rip through flesh, people are skinned and thrown from balconies etc. There's a great non-nonsense approach to 21st Century post-apocalypse Mega City One "justice" and suits the setting perfectly.

There's a nice few bits and pieces thrown in for old fans, like Chopper's tag written on a wall, "Kennywho?" and passing mention of facilities like "Resyk" and "Pat-wagons".

The bad:

It's not 2000AD's Judge Dredd. It's a Judge Dredd, but not the one from 2000AD. It gets close, but no cigar, I'm afraid. I've mentioned the suit before, so I won't go into that again. But, I think it was a very bad call just to basically put Dredd in a bikers outfit. Totally doesn't work for me and I just don't accept the "practicality" excuse. Conversely, the helmet is great and when Dredd is shown from the neck up, it's fine.

Mega City One doesn't look like it should either. It's way too open-plan and not as cluttered as it should be. Mega City One's city blocks should be almost on top of one another, as the Block Wars story showed. It also looks a little too "now", if you know what I mean. It's just not futuristic enough. Although that was probably a limitation of budget, so you can kind of let it go.

The "Lawmaster" looks rubbish. It wouldn't have been that hard to get it a little closer to the comic book version. I understand that there's limits, like the huge silly wheels, but really, it's just a Kawasaki with some bits welded on.

Dredd's "Lawgiver" ain't what it should be either.

I didn't like that way that Anderson was shown as unique. A mutant. She's not. Her psychic abilities are not hers alone and the PSI Division are a firmly established unit within the Justice Department. That angle didn't work and shouldn't have been portrayed in that way...and PSI Judges don't wear their name on their badges.

All in all though, the film works well enough for me to want to see it succeed and produce a number of sequels. There's plenty of existing material for the film makers to adapt too. I'd be worried that some people who have never seen a Judge Dredd story in print won't have a clue what's going on, though and general audiences may not return. I can't see it appealing to the broader spectrum, like Nolan's Batman trilogy

7/10

'Carnage'

In what I presume to be an excellent adaptation of the play, Roman Polanski's 'Carnage' focuses on the parents of two boys, one of which has attacked another with a stick and caused some facial damage, including knocking out a couple of teeth.

In an effort to remain civil, the parents of the "attacker" visit the home of the "victim" in order to sort out the problem.

From the very beginning, there's a kind of 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf' style tension in the room that is always threatening to expand into something much worse, despite the fact that both sets of parents are initially interested in civil discourse. As events unfold, gradually the parents attitudes change and things become more and more uncomfortable.

'Carnage', due to Polanski's excellent handling of the directorial reigns, never spills over into farce, even though the story threatens to do so at times. It's kept controlled and simmering, the tension lasts the whole running time and unlike the aforementioned Elizabeth Taylor film (as great as it is), it stays with the realms of reality.

The film is also helped immensely by excellent performances by the four leads, especially from Jodie Foster who just grabs her part and goes at it with great gusto. She also has the hardest role to play.

A short film that doesn't do anything more than expected of it and well worth a view.

8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

The book of Eli.

Over all not a bad movie. Mila kunis in it so defo worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Dredd - was quite surprised by it in a good way, wasnt sure what to expect by it since the last one in the 90s, action filled and a treat for the eyes with all the slowmotion/sparkly stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

Watched Hitch.
    Not a winner.
    The character played by Eva Mendes was pretty horrible to be honest. I'm not sure if you would really want to spend time with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

KenSwee wrote: »
    Watched Hitch.
    Not a winner.
    The character played by Eva Mendes was pretty horrible to be honest. I'm not sure if you would really want to spend time with her.

Wo wo wo slow you jets Eva Mendes is a goddess among women, and shes particulary tasty looking in that film :D.

On Hitch yeh its not great but I found it watchable kinda a hungover popcorn movie even Kevin James manages to be watchable in it and I normally cant stand him, although I havent watched it in a whil maybe im due a re watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

Wo wo wo slow you jets Eva Mendes is a goddess among women, and shes particulary tasty looking in that film :D.

On Hitch yeh its not great but I found it watchable kinda a hungover popcorn movie even Kevin James manages to be watchable in it and I normally cant stand him, although I havent watched it in a whil maybe im due a re watch.

Yea Mendes was nice but he character was a real flimsy bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

am I the only person who thinks Mendes looks like a tranny?

• Advertisement

I saw Mendes in Holy Motors tonight - her strange and completely silent role in that (plus Bad Lieutenant) has given me an awful lot more respect for her as an actress.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement