Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

eating11849447732.jpg

"The Goldrush" (1925) on DVD. A classic Charlie Chaplin comedy which my young children enjoyed too. The whole movie is on YouTube but I'd recommend buying the DVD. 10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Over the BH W/end I finally watched Magnolia after many years of procrastination. Honestly? A little underwhelmed. Maybe I was in a bad mood? Cruise's best performance by a long way though and ably supported by an all star cast. 6/10.

Also finally watched Spring Breakers on US Blu Ray. Bought it on hols and hadn't gotten around to watching it yet. Surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It's a complete throwaway in parts but there's something about James Franco playing Britney Spears "Everytime" on piano and the following dream-like/drug-fulled scenes that draws you in. I'm expecting to be scolded for this but 7.5/10.

Finally, watched Jeff Ross Roasts America on US DVD. "Got it 4 cheep" as they say, was on sale for $5 and totally worth it. If you don't know Ross, he's an insult comic and "Roastmaster General" on those Comedy Central Celebrity Roasts we get on occasion over here. Not for the easily offended but I LOVED it. 8.5/10 - only flaws are it's very short (42mins) and I wish he showed more of his stand-up routine (for a taster try the Bill Gates and Steve Jobs "gags" from 3:45 in the vid below). And I've discovered it's on Youtube for even "cheeper":

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

http://forums.soompi.com/discussion/2015466/french-movie-2011-the-intouchables

INTOUCHABLES is a comedic tale of two drastically different men that meet through a job interview.

Philippe, a wealthy aristocratic quadriplegic, is on the hunt for a new caretaker. Driss, a Senegalese immigrant from the projects, shows up for the interview—but only to obtain a signature to keep his unemployment benefits rolling in. But to the astonishment of everyone on his staff, Philippe gives the overconfident, charismatic, and under-qualified Driss the position. While learning unfiltered details of each other’s lives, Philippe and Driss gain a renewed sense of life and friendship, and discover that sometimes, one just needs a high-speed police chase in a Maserati to escape the routine of everyday life.

Saw this on Sky over the weekend. Laugh out loud funny in places, sad in others. Loved it. Highly recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Watched a couple of Chinese martial art kicking and punching films based on a true story.

IP man - very good.

IP man 2 - very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The Heat which wasn't too bad. Good few laughs in places and was better than I expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Zero Dark Thirty. Good but it dragged on a bit, Jessica Chastain was annoying in it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Hallyington

The Hunt

Pretty harrowing tale of how one small lie can get so out of hand and ruin someones life.

Klara despite being young, was a great performance. Mads as usual is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Red 2, a few laughs quite enjoyable
    The running man, some quality acting here lol, the fashions are crazy, good story idea I'm surprised a remake hasn't been done they try everything else.
    The hardy bucks movie, shi-t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Tried to watch the movie Robotropolis, just couldn't do it. Good visual effects but everything else was absolutely horrid. Will have a go as its sequel of sorts, 'Battle of the Damned' over the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Threads (1984)

Nuclear war mockumentary. Absolutely stunning account of two families during nuclear exchange in 1980's Briton. Despite the appallingly convincing events in the film, I think it should be required viewing in school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Die Hard: With A Vengeance

Caught this by accident on BBC3 tonight. Not a patch on the 1st film but much better than the 2nd, is highly enjoyable and has the "Die Hard" feel with all of the ingredients: Dark humour, violent, big practical set pieces, euro trash villains, foul mouth characters, banter between secondary characters, still has "Yippee-ki-yay Motherfùcker!"..............the McClane hair :pac:

I'm more than likely in the minority, but I always preferred the alternate ending. The theatrical version's ending never felt right with me and ended abruptly, albeit in standard upbeat action movie way.

The whole scene in the cafe has a darker tone to it, right down to McClane delivering his phrase after killing Simon. I always felt it suited the movie as whole and Simon got a better send off by McClane reversing the role of his games on him.

Still, one of my favourite 90's action movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭briany

Bubble (2005)

Small town slice of life film about the quietly dysfunctional relationship between three factory workers in a fairly bleak Midwestern American town.

Really good film, I thought. Just a plain film where nothing much happens but satisfying if you're into situations about ordinary people. Very similar to films like The Good Girl and Cold Weather. Worth a watch if you enjoyed either of those.

Threads (1984)

Nuclear war mockumentary. Absolutely stunning account of two families during nuclear exchange in 1980's Briton. Despite the appallingly convincing events in the film, I think it should be required viewing in school.

That film along with 'Testament' and 'The War Game' make up a trilogy of unrelenting bleakness, in my opinion. Now, nuclear war is a grim business so in many ways it's no wonder that these films are that way but they beat you over the head with the misery stick so much that you become tempted to switch off or become desensitized, bored, scared and depressed.

I imagine these kinds of films were doubly scary back in the days of the Cold War but now that we're not living under the threat of constantly imminent nuclear attack from the Russians. I wouldn't be in a rush to show this to the kids but would be in favor of fostering critical thinking in schoolkids the world over. That might have the trickle down effect of preventing such horrible scenarios in the future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Crazed Fruit - perhaps the most enduring of the taiyozoku (Sun Tribe) films, this is the antithesis of what we often associate with 1950s Japanese cinema - chaotic, steamy, rebellious. Strong presentation and enthusiasm propel what could have been a fairly straightforward tale of disaffected youth, particularly in a hypnotically strange, violent conclusion. It's sexual content might look mild these days, but it was pushing boundaries at the time by even acknowledging the fact that sex assists, let alone suggesting young folks were engaged in the act. Very much one of the films that opened the floodgates to a more experimental, cynical Japanese cinema - Nagisa Oshima particularly took the sun tribe attitude and kept on shattering those taboos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Resurrection of the Daleks (1984) on DVD. Peter Davison battles the Daleks who are attempting to free their creator Davros from his prison aboard a space station. No expense spared on this 4-part BBC epic with much of the action taking place in a warehouse in 20th century London. The plot is one of the better Dr.Who ones but the spaceships, weapons, special (?) effects are just so cheap and dated...anyway there were no cybermen or any Irish connection that I could see!
    Only for the diehard Whovian and my only excuse is that I was too tired to watch a proper movie. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Threads (1984)

I saw this when it first aired on BBC.

It scared the shit out of me.

It still does.

Gone are the days when the BBC made great drama like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

briany wrote: »
    That film along with 'Testament' and 'The War Game' make up a trilogy of unrelenting bleakness, in my opinion. Now, nuclear war is a grim business so in many ways it's no wonder that these films are that way but they beat you over the head with the misery stick so much that you become tempted to switch off or become desensitized, bored, scared and depressed.

In my opinion many people are desensitized, bored, scared and depressed by the media in the 21 century already. The threat of nuclear war has faded into the back of our social conciousness. People think it will never happen again. Such people are almost certainly wrong.
    briany wrote: »
    I imagine these kinds of films were doubly scary back in the days of the Cold War but now that we're not living under the threat of constantly imminent nuclear attack from the Russians. I wouldn't be in a rush to show this to the kids but would be in favor of fostering critical thinking in schoolkids the world over. That might have the trickle down effect of preventing such horrible scenarios in the future.

I agree the Russians have backed of somewhat and this is comforting. Nevertheless, there are a substantial amount of warheads in different countries around the world. The danger is still present. With a realistic and educational film such as Threads, I think it would foster critical thinking and discussion on the topic of nuclear war. Furthermore, who is to say who a person will become over a lifetime. A serious film about such serious consequences as this one will remain with all who watch it, it informs the public what the real consequences are for every class and creed. Perhaps such a film could make men who are responsible for nuclear weapons understand this type of war really is unwinnable.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Threads (1984)

Terrifying stuff that film is, scared the bejesus out of me as kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Dollhouse (2012)

Kristen Sheridan's low Budget Irish film about a group of Working Class Irish Teen's who break into a plush Dalkey Flat. Seemed to go by unnoticed by many as What Richard Did seemed to get the Critical acclaim Irish Film of 2012. Not surprised as it would have made a good short feature instead of a feature length. Going on a 15 page layout instead of a fully written script has it problems and some of the performances are hit and miss ( Jack Reynor (who made this before What Richard Did) Johnny Ward and Shane Curry (Kisses) are the hits) but if wasn't for who Kirsten Daddy was I doubt she would have got this made. Poor Effort and nowhere in the same class of What Richard Did.

Bullhead (2011)

Why can't this country not make films of the quality of Bullhead instead of the crap like Dollhouse, I never know. A young cattle farmer in Belgium is approached by a veterinarian to make a deal with a notorious beef trader. Matthias Schoenaerts from Rust and Bone fame gives a amazing performance as a man living on a past tragedy who abuses Steroids and has fit's of Roid rage. He's the Tom Hardy of European cinema. A tough watch but worth it for Schoenaerts performance.

Oslo August 31st (2011)

Norwegian screenwriter and director Joachim Trier's second feature film was shot on location in Oslo and is a loose adaptation of French writer Pierre Drieu La Rochelle's novel "Le feu follet" from 1931 which French director, screenwriter and producer Louis Malle (1932-1995) honored with his masterful adaptation "The Fire Within" (1963). It tells the story about Anders, a recovering drug addict in his thirties who has been living at an unlocked residential treatment center for a long time. It's summer and Anders is on his way to Oslo where a job interview awaits him, but first and foremost he has to locate his former girlfriend and visit some of his old friends.

This slow-paced and character-driven film about friendship, life choices and interpersonal relations, deserves recognition for being one of, if not the only Norwegian film which deals with the theme of suicide so openly. The poignant use of sound and the ardent cinematography reinforces the significant atmosphere in this minimalistic, existentialistic and introspective Character study.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Looper007 wrote: »
    Oslo August 31st (2011)

Norwegian screenwriter and director Joachim Trier's second feature film was shot on location in Oslo and is a loose adaptation of French writer Pierre Drieu La Rochelle's novel "Le feu follet" from 1931 which French director, screenwriter and producer Louis Malle (1932-1995) honored with his masterful adaptation "The Fire Within" (1963). It tells the story about Anders, a recovering drug addict in his thirties who has been living at an unlocked residential treatment center for a long time. It's summer and Anders is on his way to Oslo where a job interview awaits him, but first and foremost he has to locate his former girlfriend and visit some of his old friends.

This slow-paced and character-driven film about friendship, life choices and interpersonal relations, deserves recognition for being one of, if not the only Norwegian film which deals with the theme of suicide so openly. The poignant use of sound and the ardent cinematography reinforces the significant atmosphere in this minimalistic, existentialistic and introspective Character study.

This was on BBC 4 a few weeks ago. I'm raging I missed it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This was on BBC 4 a few weeks ago. I'm raging I missed it.

Readily and cheaply available on DVD, or US Netflix if so inclined.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

watched no strings attached , thought it was ok but the same as any rom com i guess, but i wish it tool a dramatic turn at the end when she's scoffing her face with donuts , she have had her crash the car and die

Caught most of Paul on RTÉ2 last night. It wasn't great, it wasn't terrible. Not sure how I'd have felt if I'd had to pay to see it though?
    Most of the comedy seemed to be based on "Paul" or Kristin Wiig swearing. I got the "Get away from her, you bitch!" reference at the end but really only because of The Vicar of Dibley, so I'm wondering was there a whole load of references in there that I'd have been amused by if I was a sci-fi fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Caught most of Paul on RTÉ2 last night. It wasn't great, it wasn't terrible. Not sure how I'd have felt if I'd had to pay to see it though?
    Most of the comedy seemed to be based on "Paul" or Kristin Wiig swearing. I got the "Get away from her, you bitch!" reference at the end but really only because of The Vicar of Dibley, so I'm wondering was there a whole load of references in there that I'd have been amused by if I was a sci-fi fan.

There's more references in the last 20 minutes or so of that film than you could count. the mountain they get to is from Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Paul's spaceship leaving is taking the piss out of E.T. Jason Bateman shooting the radio then going "boring conversation anyway" is straight out of Star Wars. you could make a drinking game out of the references :pac:

krudler wrote: »
    There's more references in the last 20 minutes or so of that film than you could count. the mountain they get to is from Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Paul's spaceship leaving is taking the piss out of E.T. Jason Bateman shooting the radio then going "boring conversation anyway" is straight out of Star Wars. you could make a drinking game out of the references :pac:

Well, I thought it looked a bit E.T.ish in the trees, but I have seen very little in the way of SciFi, like I said I only got the Aliens one because of this scene in The Vicar of Dibley...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

1968 BBC chiller, Whistle and I will come to you

the best short film I have seen in a long time, well worth a watch.

The Hammer (2007)

Comedy.

Adam Carolla plays a 40 year old carpenter who decides to take one last stab at glory by returning to the ring as a boxer and pursuing a spot at the Beijing Olympic games.

Sandleresque is how I'd describe this one. Zero to hero type comedy with a little romantic sideline thrown in but Carolla is very likeable in a sarcastic smartarse sort of way. He's somewhere between Norm MacDonald and Gilbert Gottfried. The film's a bit of an underdog and it's not overly formulaic and it's got a few hilarious supporting characters. Well worth the watch, I think, if you're in the mood for a satisfying 90 minute comedy.
    1968 BBC chiller, Whistle and I will come to you

the best short film I have seen in a long time, well worth a watch.

Excellent stuff, that. So well put together and deals with more than one theme in it's short running time, a feat most modern day horrors can't achieve in a length of 90 minutes or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Watched Woody Allen's latest film 'Blue Jasmine' yesterday. A fairly run of the mill story on the face of it but propelled by some wonderful casting, none more so than Cate Blanchett who turns in a very strong performance as a woman who has truly hit rock bottom.

As expected with Allen movies some excellent observations on the human condition, in particular the class system offset by great humour at times. If for nothing else watch this film for Blanchett's performance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

thought it was a good film dealing with loss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,585 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

The Iceman brilliant performance from Michael Shannon and great supporting cast including an unrecognisable Chris Evans and Winona Ryder as the wife. Well worth a watch

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement