Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Watched The Imposter last night after taping it on Film 4 last week. From reading a few pages back I see a couple of other boardsies did too! Incredible story on so many levels, but from the outset I was wondering why the hell didn't they just do a DNA test from the outset? Seems like the first logical thing to do to me? That aside, it's very cleverly told and filmed interspersing reconstructions, real-life footage and interviews with the key protagonists. A couple of slightly disturbing scenes at the end
    with the Michael Jackson dancing and the "I don't give a ****" attitude after all the damage he did to other families he called from his prison cell
    , but you can't help but think we'll never really know what happened to that kid.

7.5/10.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 ErnestGravy

Born to win - rare DeNiro movie about a junkie in New York.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

What Maisie Knew

Heartbreaking story of a child caught in the middle of her feuding parents and their custody battle. Neither parent seems to care about the child and seem more interested on one upping the other. Her dad marries the nanny and her mum marries a barman in retaliation and the new partners find themselves caring for Maisie more and more.

I thought this was wonderful. It's terribly sad at times but there are some really lovely moments too. It's all told through Maisie's eyes so we don't see or hear anything that she doesn't. It's really clever though because although we're seeing it from a child's point of view we're able to interpret what she's seeing and hearing better than she is. This makes it even more sad because you can see Maisie's innocence slowly start to fade as she slowly becomes more aware of what's really going on.

Susanna and Beale are possibly two of the most despicable characters I've ever seen but Julianne Moore and Steve Coogan are great in the roles. Alexander Skarsgard and Joanna Vanderham are great as their new partners but Onata Aprile as Maisie steals the show. A really incredible performance with some really subtle moments where you realise Maisie knows more than she lets on.

Highly recommend this one. Best film of 2013 for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 ErnestGravy

Love bug - Disney movie that inspired Wu Tang clan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Super is on Film4 now. I've seen it before. Very strange film...
    Looper007 wrote: »
    It's far bleaker and tougher film then Kick Ass. I could see why it didn't do any business at the box office. Ellen Page give her best performance in this
    When her character gets her head blown off, it does show that this dressing up playing Superheroes has a price
    . Well worth a watch.

Her sex scene in this made me unusually uncomfortable, which is rare!

• Advertisement

On a bit of a documentary buss at the mo and watched The Cove last night after putting it off for years as I figured (correctly) it would be deeply upsetting. It was way worse than anything I had imagined. The Cove is a documentary which details the annual and unnecessary mass slaughter of dolphins in Taiji, Japan.

If you have any empathy for animals (or mammals in this case) you should make yourself watch this as painful as it will be; even if you don't you should watch this to see what is really happening in Japan. I'm not going to lie, some scenes are horrific andi cried like a baby afterwards.

Deeply moving, deeply, deeply upsetting, horribly graphic. Can't get it out of my head since viewing it. Think the underwater footage of the water going blood red will stay with me forever.

Oscar winner for Best Documentary 2010, a very strong 9/10.

Trailer:

Full movie:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

^
    Think i'll give that a watch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Repo Man - zany, funny, messy, satirically sharp, scathing, rebellious, unpredictable, paranoid, beautifully ugly, exhausting, bipolar, quotable (let's get some sushi and not pay!), cheeky, angry, politically fuelled, food.

Jeez, still can't get some of the scenes from The Cove out of my head after a couple of nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The guy behind the Cove, Ric O' Barry, is worth looking up in his own right: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ric_O%27Barry

He started out as the dolphin trainer on the original series of Flipper and it was the effects of captivity on those dolphins that started his activism.

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    The guy behind the Cove, Ric O' Barry, is worth looking up in his own right: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ric_O%27Barry

He started out as the dolphin trainer on the original series of Flipper and it was the effects of captivity on those dolphins that started his activism.

I know, it goes into it in the movie but I didn't want to spoil it for anyone! :)

I haven't seen The Cove yet but I remember reading about a few actresses who paddled out with activists to try and block the boats that were doing this stuff. Quite brave of them I thought. Famous people are always preaching this, that and the other but to actually put your self on the line like that for something you believe in is admirable.

I haven't seen The Cove yet but I remember reading about a few actresses who paddled out with activists to try and block the boats that were doing this stuff. Quite brave of them I thought. Famous people are always preaching this, that and the other but to actually put your self on the line like that for something you believe in is admirable.

They show some of the footage in the documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The Cove is excellent, thought Blackfish was supposed to be out this week but its now showing on amazon as released in November, nowhere was showing it here so am dying to see it. similar subject matter so would make a pretty harrowing double bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Kill the Irishman: Having read the book and loved it was looking forward to seeing how it would be adapted to film. Sadly to say it wasn't great the story felt rushed, the acting was poor. Basically avoid the film and read the book.

The Place Beyond the Pines: Have to say I loved it, wasn't what I expected truth be told but the intertwining stories the characters all fell into place seemlesly. A film I will be watching again.

krudler wrote: »
    The Cove is excellent, thought Blackfish was supposed to be out this week but its now showing on amazon as released in November, nowhere was showing it here so am dying to see it. similar subject matter so would make a pretty harrowing double bill.

Blackfish is still showing in The Lighthouse in Dublin if you're in that area. It's streaming online and I got the DVD of it the other day after ordering it on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Kill the Irishman: Having read the book and loved it was looking forward to seeing how it would be adapted to film. Sadly to say it wasn't great the story felt rushed, the acting was poor. Basically avoid the film and read the book.

I really enjoyed this despite the terrible production. It is a great story poorly executed but worth a watch for anyone into the genre imo. I haven't read the book....could be why I enjoyed it.

Blackfish is still showing in The Lighthouse in Dublin if you're in that area. It's streaming online and I got the DVD of it the other day after ordering it on Friday.

Really? maybe it's in the US the release was pushed back, was on amazon.com I was looking. anywhere to watch it online (legally) I checked itunes but it's not on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I really enjoyed this despite the terrible production. It is a great story poorly executed but worth a watch for anyone into the genre imo. I haven't read the book....could be why I enjoyed it.

Yeh I'm really into that genre myself and generally love these kind of films and will agree it is a great story but very poorly executed. I'd say you're right though not reading the book will make it more enjoyable as will have no knowledge or expectations of the story.

But Vinnie Jones my god, he made the rest the cast look oscar worthy :pac:.

krudler wrote: »
    Really? maybe it's in the US the release was pushed back, was on amazon.com I was looking. anywhere to watch it online (legally) I checked itunes but it's not on there.

On the film's website there's a link at the side for itunes.... http://blackfishmovie.com/screenings

and the distributor website has the DVD Dogwoof

• Advertisement

On the film's website there's a link at the side for itunes.... http://blackfishmovie.com/screenings

and the distributor website has the DVD Dogwoof

Weird it doesnt show on the itunes store, the soundtrack does though. Cheers. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 triplejointed

Spoliers - John Wayne in Alaska, wearing a black face in one scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Spoliers - John Wayne in Alaska, wearing a black face in one scene.

He also browned up for The Conquerer (1956), a film so bad that most of the crew got cancer*

*may have been due to nuclear testing in the area used for filming, see here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

i really liked this film,has a good meaning and a story, the film its self turned out to be nothing like the trailer as such

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

The Colony

Pure thrash but I enjoyed it. Worth a watch if you like survival movies. The horror aspect was semi decent. 5.5/10 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

We're the Millers

Enjoyed this far more than I expected to but i really was in the humour for something dumb last night (and with the random
    orca eating a shark
    scene this certainly qualified. Jennifer Anniston is looking well in it too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

V for Vendetta. How have I not seen this until now? Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Now You See Me

Worse film I've seen in a long long time. Good cast and a nice concept written and directed by children for children.:p The big twist, if you want to call it that, is laugh out loud bad!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

django , why in the name of fcuk did i wait this long to watch it , i know im so late on this but its a pretty good film, thought it would have been abit more gorey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Now You See Me

Worse film I've seen in a long long time. Good cast and a nice concept written and directed by children for children.:p The big twist, if you want to call it that, is laugh out loud bad!!

Really stupid film full of silly CGI with an absurd twist.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement