Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sleepy wrote: »
    Bernie - a black comedy with Jack Black playing an undertaker. Surprisingly good and based on a true story.

Yeah thought that was very good myself. Richard Linklater directed it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Had totally forgotten it was Linklater, no wonder I liked it so much!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I wanted to see Bernie in the cinema but again, like The East, I saw the adverts for it coming soon but it never came. The IFI is showing it as their "Wild Strawberries" film this month so I might borrow my nanny's dress and one of her wigs and head along.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Watched Shame on Blu Ray. Best thing I can say about it was the soundtrack was good, and comes to life in surround sound. I thought I'd like it a lot more as I generally like Fassbender and I really liked Hunger so though him and Steve McQueen teaming up again would be a good team but for emit was just....meh. Has some bad continuity errors on the subway scenes (i.e. same station appearing more than once on a continuous journey) but Fassbender seemed to me at least to be just phoning it in. His accentis all over the place in it to the point that I wonder if the line where he says he grew up in Ireland in it was put in midway through shooting when they realised he sounds completely different from scene to scene. A big disappointment. 4/10.

5x2 French divorce story I taped from Film 4 a while back. Shot backwards in 5 "acts" (I guess you'd call them acts). If you like your classic atmospheric, brooding, relationship-based French cinema, this is probably one for you, but it's just not as meaty as some of the genres more illustrious efforts. It's grand, but nothing amazing. In many ways it reminds me of the type of film you see and think that it would work better as a play. 5.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 12,585 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Tony EH wrote: »
    Yeh, I knew this was going to be a right bucket of crap. But, I still went against my own better advice and watched it. I'd say if you love zombies stay away.

Can't believe that this misfire has made so much money. Really shows that even if you produce absolute rubbish, put in a big hollywood "actor", spend millions on advertising...you can still make a profit.

Incredible.

Chalk and Cheese I'm a big Zombie fan and really enjoyed it so much so I'm going to buy the Blu-ray when it comes out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Closer

Rewatch. This is one of my favourite screenplays out there. Patrick Marber's script rattles along at an unbroken pace with searing honesty and words that are rarely so forthcoming in relationships. It never attempts to gloss over the often ugly corners of relationships or more to the point the bitter truths.

It's up there with Portman & Owen's best screen performances.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Adam
    ... But at the same time I feel like it only scratches the surface on the Asperger's thing.

Just saw it now and thought it was a fantastic film. Regarding the above quote, I don't know how deep a 2 hour film can get with the complexity of Aspergers and to be honest, I thought it did well in the time it had I loved the a-typical ending where (spoiler I guess)
    it didn't all end with them living happily ever after. Felt a lot truer to life than if she'd turned up at the end to give it another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Chalk and Cheese I'm a big Zombie fan and really enjoyed it so much so I'm going to buy the Blu-ray when it comes out!

Snake Plisken...I heard you were dead. :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

quickbeam wrote: »
    Just saw it now and thought it was a fantastic film. Regarding the above quote, I don't know how deep a 2 hour film can get with the complexity of Aspergers and to be honest, I thought it did well in the time it had I loved the a-typical ending where (spoiler I guess)
    it didn't all end with them living happily ever after. Felt a lot truer to life than if she'd turned up at the end to give it another go.

I suppose you're right, the film wasn't about Asperger's, it was about someone who just happened to have it. And I suppose if you didn't know anything about it you'd be experiencing it the same way the character of Beth was. They didn't need to go terribly deep on it because it was the emotional side of it that they were dealing with. I agree about the ending,
    they didn't get the happily ever after together but they both got something good out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I actually enjoyed World War Z more or less because i know what to expect going in there and i went to see it on 5 euro wednesday lol,

But yeah its not a patch on the Walking Dead or any other Zombie movie basiclly the 12A rating didn't help the last bit with the scientists was actually a great set piece though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Robocop - first viewing as I've only seen chunks here and there.

Two Twin Peaks cast members. Non-cardboard villain thanks to Ronny Cox. Technology as a monster. Corrupt private defence company. Manic violence. Ballsy female character. At least it tried to do something rather than bastardise what's gone before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Devils Advocate

Wasn't overly gone about this and it was probably down to the preconception I had formed about it because I thought the storyline was going to be just about how the legal system was flawed and how criminals with money can sometimes buy their way out of the mess they find themselves. I didn't read too much about the movie (if any). The early stages in the movie wasn't bad, where Keanu meets Al and it kind of reminded me of Scent of a Woman a bit in how Al takes Keanu under his wing and is showing him about. Then when I started to realize why it had had Devil in the title, I just sort of lost interest in it.

I'd say if I had of watched it at the time of release, I probably would of enjoyed it a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Iron Man 3 - Fun movie, better than the second but not the first.

Spring Breakers - I thought this was well shot, but also a little weird I guess, I dunno. I was told it was supposed to be a comedy by one of my friends before we watched it, so I probably wasn't in the right mind set for it. Its probably due a re-watch.

Pain & Gain - Its messed up thats its based on a true story. Movie was ok imo, I enjoyed bits of it, and had a few laughs. Went on a bit too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Monsters - Was okay, maybe I was expecting too much given all of the high praise. What I saw though was encouraging for what Edwards should do with a bigger budget for Godzilla.

Killer Joe - Absolute madness, in a good way! Church and particularly McConaughey were excellent, but Juno Temple surprised me. She was brilliant, and her performance kinda makes me wish she had more to do in TDKR.

As for McConaughey, it was a really pleasant surprise to see him take on such a role. Once I realised that Joe's interest in Dottie
    was not of a platonic nature
    I knew it was going to be a performance a million miles away from his rom coms.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Ok, re-watched Jade (a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine) last night having taped it from TCM earlier in the week. Though a major flop and critically panned on release, I honestly don't believe it's anywhere near as bad as some people make it out to be. Starring Linda Fiorentino in her fist major role after the excellent The Last Seduction, David Caruso in his first major movie after leaving NYPD Blue (at the time one of the biggest shows on US TV) and Chazz Plaminteri as the leads with a plethora of other familiar faces as support, it's a tale of murder, blackmail and a fair bit of sex. Directed by William Friedkin, produced by Robert Evans and written by Joe "Basic Instinct" Eszterhas it is quite similar to BI in a lot of ways. Included in the movie we also get 2 very good car scenes - a brake failure scene and an excellent chase, both of which utilise the San Francisco hills and city streets to great effect (Friedkin obviously channelling his inner French Connection affiliation). It also has a particularly atmospheric score from James Horner, very 70s thriller feel to it.

I have the Extended Director's Cut on video somewhere - it's never been released on other physical format but is on US iTunes if anyone is interested, and likely online too through regular avenues. The Director's Cut has a completely different ending and one which would have likely earned the movie a different legacy.

Jade was a film that in many ways was ahead of its time from a casting perspective. Whilst we are used to the stars of TV shows nowadays hopping seamlessly between small and big screen, Caruso got a lot of hate and unfair criticism for leaving NYPD to follow his dreams back in 1995. He's quite good in this, and I say that as someone who normally can't stand him (particularly when he's in CSI-mode).

Theatrical version: 6.5/10
    Director's cut: 7.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Robocop - first viewing as I've only seen chunks here and there.

Two Twin Peaks cast members. Non-cardboard villain thanks to Ronny Cox. Technology as a monster. Corrupt private defence company. Manic violence. Ballsy female character. At least it tried to do something rather than bastardise what's gone before.

Ronny Cox is great, he's brilliant in Total Recall as well. "I could blow the shit out of here and be home in time for Corn Flakes!"

krudler wrote: »
    Ronny Cox is great, he's brilliant in Total Recall as well. "I could blow the shit out of here and be home in time for Corn Flakes!"

Police Chief Hubbard: Is this the gentleman who crashed through Victor Maitland's window? Who disabled an unmarked unit with a banana?
    Lieutenant Bogomil: Yes, sir.
    Police Chief Hubbard: Who lured Taggart and Rosemont into a gross dereliction of duty at a strip-tease establishment?
    Detective Rosewood: Uh, it's Rosewood, sir.
    Police Chief Hubbard: Is this the gentleman who ruined the buffet at the Harrow club this morning?
    Police Chief Hubbard: I just bet that you are the pride of your department in Detroit. Lieutenant, I'd like to see you in your office.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (2010)

Co-written and produced by Guillermo del Toro. I've watched a lot of crappy horror over the years but this movie contains the stupidest characters of all time! It's actually infuriating! Well shot but full of plot holes and inconsistencies. Pity, as it could have been a great chiller like The Orphanage (2007).

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

Four Lions: A lot smarter than the subject matter would have you think. But also genuinely very funny

In the Loop: Now I've never watched "The Thick of It" but it it's as good as this, I'm sold. So many great lines in this film.

Would recommend both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Spanish version of Bela Lugosi's Dracula. I actually think it's better than the original; more gravitas, well paced and impressive effects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Kings of Summer - Coming of Age Comedy http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2179116/

Light viewing, nothing to complicated, had some funny moments. Would recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

The Constant Gardener (2005)

Compelling, intelligent, complex, riveting and sadly, with more than a ring of truth; this is a compassionate cinematic masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

miralize wrote: »
    Kings of Summer - Coming of Age Comedy http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2179116/

Light viewing, nothing to complicated, had some funny moments. Would recommend it.

Was good. Bit badly executed. Like a less ambitious into the wild meets napoleon dynamite.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

[

In the Loop: Now I've never watched "The Thick of It" but it it's as good as this, I'm sold. So many great lines in this film.

In The Loop is absolutely hilarious, so many fantastic one liners.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Don't be a Menace to South Central I remember liking this when I was younger and when I saw it on Netflix (UK) I decided to watch it again.

I was stupid when I was younger...

Blade Runner Second time watching the final edition, and tbh while I don't think it's a bad film by any means I don't get all the love it has for it. A guy in work sings its praises all the time but I just think it's decent and nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

Don't be a Menace to South Central I remember liking this when I was younger and when I saw it on Netflix (UK) I decided to watch it again.

I was stupid when I was younger...

ha ha, I watched it a few years back after not seeing it in about 10 years. I was showing it to someone telling them it was a brilliant comedy... needless to say I was mortified about 20 minutes in. And to think I laughed through it about 10 times during my leaving cert year!

Watched another one this weekend for the first time in years too but which still holds up, Midnight Run. Great film. De Niro and Grodin have great chemistry together. I never knew who had directed before but looked up yesterday to see what else he had done. Gigli was the last!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Star Trek colon Into Darkness.

Well, this was ok, not much better than that. I mean, could see so many of the plotlines way ahead of time.
    Ooh, Khan's blood brought the tribble back to life, Kirk is dead, whatever's going to happen.
    Dragged out too long, some of it looked spectacular but those zoom jumps, as in the first film, are complete rip offs of what Joss Whedon was doing in "Firefly".

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

I Spit on your Grave 2:

I'd never thought I'd exploitation movie so goddamned boring!

Complete cut and paste job, its the first movie in a different place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,982 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Re-watching a film I haven't seen since I was ... frankly far too young to see it the first time: King Frat (1979). Imagine Animal House without the high concept, plot, production values and moral centre, and you'll have some idea of what's going on here. It warped my tiny little mind, and I've never forgotten it since then. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Birneybau wrote: »
    Star Trek colon Into Darkness.

Well, this was ok, not much better than that. I mean, could see so many of the plotlines way ahead of time.
    Ooh, Khan's blood brought the tribble back to life, Kirk is dead, whatever's going to happen.
    Dragged out too long, some of it looked spectacular but those zoom jumps, as in the first film, are complete rip offs of what Joss Whedon was doing in "Firefly".

Hopefully, it'll see the end of this 'Star Trek' reboot abortion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement