Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Watched The Artist.

I was very impressed at the film being able to competently tell a story with maybe 20 lines of dialogue throughout. A 4:3 black & white story about an entertainer who falls on hard times as cinema moves from the silent era to the talkies. Wonderfully over-acted to portray what isn't verbalised. An easy story to follow, with some excellent big band swinging music to boot. I'd normally never watch this sort of thing but I really enjoyed it. Recommend if this thing might interest you, even from an execution standpoint, delivering a movie in this day and age in this fashion is pretty interesting. The film also glamourises "hollywoodland" quite a bit but it's upbeat nostalgia is quite fitting to the film. A classic love story in a classic format. Worth a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Informer.jpg

"The Informer" (1935) On VHS - a John Ford classic starring Victor McLaglen as a disillusioned, former IRA man who informs on his friend to the authorities for the price of two tickets to America. The action all takes place the same evening and McLaglen drinks more than any two white men after his dirty work and the end is inevitable. I see from imdb that the movie's budget was $250,000 and it's hard to see where it was spent save for McLaglen's booze as the whole production takes place on a stage set. That said, I found it compulsive viewing and having saved the brand new video (purchased from the US) for several months I wasn't disappointed. 10/10 and if you haven't seen it - do!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

To Rome With Love - Woody Allen's new flick, continuing his "European Journey" as such.
    It wasn't as good as "Vicky..." or "Midnight...", but I enjoyed it. Some elements definitely didn't fit in and hence the atmosphere was lost at times. However, recommended for Allen fans - 7/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

krudler wrote: »
    am I the only person who thinks Mendes looks like a tranny?
    I'd have you in a minority anyway! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

ParaNorman - If you're a fan of Monster House and Coraline, you'll probably enjoy this. I wouldn't say it was as good as those 2 but I liked it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Chopper

Andrew Dominik film about Australian criminal (and best-selling author?!!) Mark Read. Dark, grizzly and funny. Eric Bana is excellent as the volatile lead. Well worth a watch. Kind of a Bronson light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Watched Hard Candy [2005] tonight. Only heard about it for the first time yesterday. Intense film with Ellen Page and only four other characters. You will be entertained, and perhaps aghast at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

Just watched Conviction with Sam Rockwell and Hilary Swank
    Proving that life's a b1tch, he died 6 months after being released

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

An accidental cyborgian triple-bill over the last two days:

Tetsuo: The Iron Man - Probably the most avant garde, experimental monster movie ever made, and maybe the best about iron men. Eraserhead meets The Fly by way of the local scrapyard. At just over an hour its a short burst of manic intensity, with inventive editing and black & white cinematography. Amazing stop motion too. The narrative is vague and nonsensical, but the film has brute force going for it as a man turns into a giant metal God (complete with drill penis!). Mental, but good mental.

Tetsuo II: Body Hammer - Not so good. Same basic idea, bigger budget, less imaginative. It's not 'normal' (this is a film about a man transforming into a cyborg through blind rage, after all), but its certainly more familiar and standard in its narrative delivery. Kind of dull at times, and the insanely manic delivery of the first is missed. Still, the new colour cinematography does look nice in its own way, and there's certainly plenty of cool bits (the final creature design is memorable). But in trying to make his themes and ideas more accessible, director Shinya Tsukamoto reminds us that sometimes wholly abstract is best.

RoboCop - I was born the year RoboCop came out, and so was too young to be allowed watch it back during its TV and VHS runs. Therefore I am immune to nostalgia! Hearing all the uproar about the remake, decided to finally check it out. Enjoyed it. Trash, but well aware of its genre and limitations, and is consistently playful. No masterpiece or anything, and entirely disposable (like most of Verhoven's Hollywood stuff). But its good fun: cheesy humour, ludicrous characters and ultraviolence. The scenes with the mech are probably the best. And I was impressed that it was the extremely rare film that didn't stay one frame more than it needed to: the cut to black here is perfectly judged, everything resolved with a refreshingly silly final line. May seem an odd thing to point out, but its always nice for a film to conclude on a wholly positive note. I won't be in a rush to watch it again, and definitely won't be taking to the streets to protest the new suit. I wouldn't necessarily use the word smart like many others have, but this it is intelligently dumb fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Moneyball - second time I've seen it. Enjoyed it more this time round I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

RoboCop - I was born the year RoboCop came out...

F*ck sake.

Am I the only one on here that's over 35?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Watched The Butterfly Effect, really enjoyed it, think Kutcher puts in a solid performance and it's not your average movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

D'Agger wrote: »
    Watched The Butterfly Effect, really enjoyed it, think Kutcher puts in a solid performance and it's not your average movie.

Indeed: it's your below average movie ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Tony EH wrote: »
    F*ck sake.

No, i feel like a auld lad too. What the fcuk is a blue ray?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Tony EH wrote: »
    F*ck sake.

No, i feel like a auld lad too. What the fcuk is a blue ray?

a fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

House at the end of the street. Pure tripe. Thought it was a horror and was supposed to have a twist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

saw House at the end of the street, total by the numbers thriller (wouldnt dare call it a horror), luckily jennifer lawrence looks great in a tank top and got dragged around for a bit;)

Son of Rambow great fun, i wish my childhood was that awesome:D:D

We own the night
    , great film with joaquin phoenix and marky mark, was hoping for a better rampage though i must say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Cosmopolis. It ended. Eventually. Mercifully.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Didn't plan to watch any movies today ... then I saw the TV schedule. Two films showing that were on my mental "should see" list:

The Ipcress File: Michael Caine in one of his early standout roles as low-level spy Harry Palmer. A deliberately Anti-Bond film in style and tone, with no exotic locations, hardware, or characters; just intrigue, treachery, bureaucracy, violence, and a good dollop of black humour. You can see the influence it had on Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy in particular.

Paper Moon: Depression-era B&W story, dir. Peter Bogdanovich, about a petty con-man forced to take care of a 9-year-old girl, and their adventures in the Midwest. A lightweight premise, starring Ryan O'Neal, elevated by an astonishing performance by his 9-year-old daughter Tatum O'Neal - her first acting job, winning her an Oscar at the age of 10. This is still the record for the youngest ever Oscar win (with the exception of an honorary award given to Shirley Temple at 6).

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

The Sweeney- oh dear god what torture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

The town - thought it was brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

prometheus.
    forget that it has any thing to do with the alien movies. then its a brilliant, visually stunning sci fi movie. it just drew me in from the beginning. and Michael fassbender is brilliant in it. finally watch out for the "surgery" bit.good god what a scene.

surviving the game.
    a movie from way back with ice t in it. its excellent. I've seen it at least 6 times. a great action flick that doesn't tax the mind to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Predator

Just never gets old. Arnie at his best, along with terminator, defining the action/sci fi genre. "GET TO THE CHOPPA"

Factoid: Shane Black who played Hawkins wrote the screenplays for Lethal Weapon and the Last boy Scout, amongst others, and directed Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Also wrote Iron Man 3 script.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

My first post in the new thread..due to not watching too many films lately, It's Breaking Bad's fault!!!!:D

Anyway seen Killing Them Softly last night.

Was really looking forward to it and enjoyed most of it but was left a bit unsatisfied at the end. I felt like the film sacrificed something in the end to make the message loud and clear, but the message was always loud and clear...and nothing new or strange....

Despite that all the performances were very good and some interesting audio/visual effect to give an impression of how characters were experiencing certain situations...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Watched the other day Resident Evil: Damnation,animated movie based on video games.
    Very CGI effects,lots of action ,highly recommended .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

watched Death Sentence again last night, great film, i always find it weird how many people havent seen this, or even heard of it,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Joshua J wrote: »
    Predator

Just never gets old. Arnie at his best, along with terminator, defining the action/sci fi genre. "GET TO THE CHOPPA"

get-to-da-choppa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭briany

Seen The Escapist a few nights back and thought it was OK. Nothing amazing though. It's about an older convict, a lifer, who decides he must get out of prison due to a personal crisis so he enlists a few fellow inmates to aid and accompany him in this endeavour.

Thought it was an interesting if disjointed take on the prison break theme. There's not much character development or even exposition but it's worth a look if only to see a few Irish actors doing their thing, the film being a joint production between BSE and a couple of UK studios and being shot in Kilmainham Gaol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The Dictator

Well, the first twenty five minutes of it...before turning it off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

EnterNow wrote: »
    The Dictator

Well, the first twenty five minutes of it...before turning it off
    You know you're in trouble when a piece of text at the beginning is the funniest thing in the movie.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement